As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Playstation 2 disc bay won't open

SamManifestoSamManifesto Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a playstation 2 that I haven't used for a few years, missing out on a bunch of great games. I was hoping I could see if it still worked and pick up some games I missed for it (it was criminally underused by me in general). When I power it on, it goes into the browser/title menu thing just fine, but when I press the eject button the disc bay sort of opens about a quarter of an inch, the blue light on the button beeps, then it closes again. Any ideas? This is an old-model ps2, not a slim line.

I don't know much about the console, so if there is any specific information I need to provide to help rectify the problem, just ask for it.

Help would be much appreciated.

SamManifesto on

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sounds like something might be off track inside or obstructing the mechanism.

Other then cracking it open and taking a look, I wouldn't recomend anything else.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

This is for disk read errors I know but at least it will give you a good idea of what to expect when opening the thing.

You could also try forcing the tray in and out but I'd try being gentle first.

Meiz on
  • SamManifestoSamManifesto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I think I'm going to end up cracking it open.

SamManifesto on
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you can't repair the tray mechinism, hope is not lost. You can buy a replacement shell for the PS2 that effectively turns it into a top-loader. It's called the Flip Top Mod. I can't link you to it because most every place that sells it sells it for piracy, but here I can see it having a legit use as a repair mod. Google 'er up.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg