As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All three. And the Dark Spire. And Shin Megami Tensei 1/2/If/SJ.

I'm kind of a dungeon crawling masochist. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got strange journey. Making demons is FUN! And Etrian Odyssey... I don't consider myself a fan of dungeon crawlers though... maybe I'm a closet dungeon crawler.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was thinking of picking up Dinosaur. Anybody actually play that?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well I'll be.
    Ports of the original scenarios

* Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (MZ-2500, X1/turbo, FM-7, FM-77, PC-8801, PC-9801, MSX2, NES, Game Boy Color, WonderSwan Color, Cell phone, C64/C128)
    * Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds (MZ-2500, X1/turbo, FM-7, FM-77, PC-8801, PC-9801, MSX2, NES, Game Boy Color, C64)
    * Wizardry I & II (PC Engine)
    * Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn (X1/turbo, FM-7, FM-77, PC-8801, PC-9801, MSX2, Famicom, Game Boy Color, C64)
    * Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna (X1/turbo, FM-7, FM-77, PC-8801, PC-9801)
    * Wizardry III & IV (PC Engine)
    * Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom (FM Towns, PC-8801, PC-9801, SNES, PC Engine, C64)
    * Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (FM Towns, PC-9801, 98note, J-3100, SNES)
    * Wizardry VI & VII (Sega Saturn)
    * Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (PC-9801, PC-9821, PlayStation)
    * Wizardry Nemesis (Microsoft Windows, Sega Saturn, 1996)
    * Wizardry: Story of Llylgamyn (SNES, 1999)
    * Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, 2000)
    * Wizardry: New Age of Llylgamyn (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation, 2000)

Spin-offs

* Wizardry Gaiden 1: Suffering of the Queen (Game Boy, 1991)
    * Wizardry Gaiden 2: Curse of the Ancient Emperor (Game Boy, 1992)
    * Wizardry Gaiden 3: Scripture of the Dark (Game Boy, 1993)
    * Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb of the Demon's Heart (SNES, 1996)
    * Wizardry: Dimguil (PlayStation, 2000)
    * Wizardry Empire (PlayStation, Game Boy Color, 2000)
    * Wizardry Empire II: Fukkatsu no Tsue (PlayStation, Game Boy Color, 2002)
    * Wizardry Empire III (PlayStation 2, 2003)
    * Wizardry Chronicle (Microsoft Windows)
    * Wizardry Summoner (Game Boy Advance, 2001) published by Natsume
    * Busin: Wizardry Alternative (Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land in North America) (PlayStation 2, 2001)
    * Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo (PlayStation 2)
    * Wizardry Traditional (Cell phone)
    * Wizardry Traditional 2 (Cell phone)
    * Wizardry Xth Academy of Frontier (PlayStation 2, 2005)
    * Wizardry Asterisk: Hiiro no Fūin (Nintendo DS, 2005)
    * Wizardry Gaiden: Prisoners of the Battles (PlayStation 2, 2005)
    * Wizardry Summoner (PlayStation 2, 2005)
    * Wizardry Xth2 UNLIMITED STUDENT (PlayStation 2, 2006)
    * Wizardry Empire III: Haō no Keifu (PSP, 2007)
    * Wizardry Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyū (Dungeon of Imprisoned Souls) (PSN, 2009)
    * Wizardry Seimei no Kusabi (Wizardry: Pledge of Life) (DS, 2009)
    * Wizardry Bōkyaku no Isan (DS, 2010)

Nice.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy crap that's a lot of Wizardry.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Japan loves Wizardry. It's the reason Etrian Odyssey was so successful.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragon Quest was originally based on Wizardry and Ultima so it makes sense.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's RGC? And this is great news!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Retro Game Challenge.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I finally got that game. It is indeed amazing. I plan to go right back when I'm through with Pokemon.

I'd really like to see SRW Endless Frontier 2.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    XSeed is the broest of bro localizers this gen.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HOLY SHIT!! Day one.. without a doubt.

I'm so happy right now! :)

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've never played anything in the Wizardry series, and just yesterday, I was considering buying Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2. This is excellent news (and timing).

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I've never played anything in the Wizardry series, and just yesterday, I was considering buying Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2. This is excellent news (and timing).

This is one of my favorite PS2 games. You should buy it if you get the chance. It can be tedious at times though but it's worth it if you stick it out and play through it until completion. Which will take awhile. :) The Japanese version of Wizardry on PSN takes like 200 hours to plat. Looking forward to that.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, is this basically a bigger version of Class of Heroes? I really enjoyed that game.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    20 years late to the party question: was there a way to reset Mad Overlord for NES? I bought a used copy from a pawn shop sometime around 1992, and the item shop was dead empty.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    So, is this basically a bigger version of Class of Heroes? I really enjoyed that game.

Very much yes, since it's made by the same company

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh nice. So, when is it out? I'd totally buy it.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    143999 wrote: »
    20 years late to the party question: was there a way to reset Mad Overlord for NES? I bought a used copy from a pawn shop sometime around 1992, and the item shop was dead empty.

I think opening up the cartridge, popping out the game's battery out then putting it back in might work.

Also, Wizardry 8 is still my favorite Wizardry game.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »

I still play this game sometimes. Once every couple of years I'll break it out and hack around on it for a little while. I really enjoyed Class of Heroes, of course, but this is still my all time favorite implementation of the Wizardry series and mechanics.

The only dungeon crawler type game overall I really enjoyed more was Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World, and that was mostly because of how open ended it was. Mechanics wise, Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land is the best hands down in my eyes.

Lachrymite on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If you had any doubts, here's your confirmation.
    IntroductoryCutscene.jpg

Maingamescreen.jpg

IThunderArrow.jpg

Ironhandbeingawesomelyrudetoyou.jpg

DAdventurerRegistry.jpg

MQuestBoard.jpg

EUROPE AND AMERICA, Spring 2011.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

I think you and I are two of the six people who played it. It was awesome until the first time I made the mistake of trying to bring up the zone map in Trynton. I think it took about 20 minutes to finish rendering. The second time I made that mistake, I quit playing for good.

Also, the enemy scaling was brutal.

So is this new XSEED game "good abusive" like Etrian Odyssey, where it's just hard and you're in constant danger of dying, or "bad abusive" like the old Wizardry games, where you needed a guide or moronic quantities of trial and error to finish?

ystael on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The former.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    logo-001.jpg

Can't believe it's really happening.

ss-011.jpg

Well, he ain't too happy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The stupid GAF thread is making me want CoH3 more than I want this. 44 fucking classes. Doctor, Priest/Nun, Journalist, Idol, Butler, Maid, Chef. Tsundere, Catgirl, Magical Girl, Senei Hero, etc. Choosing your outfit, hair style, hair color, voice, and adjusting the stat points to what you want for the character.
    5ug2dx.jpg

I don't think this game comes anywhere close in insane number of classes and party compositions. :(

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Whut. WHUT.

Sign me the fuck up for that game.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The stupid GAF thread is making me want CoH3 more than I want this. 44 Classes fucking classes. Doctor, Priest/Nun, \Journalist, Idol, Butler, Maid, Chef. Tsundere, Catgirl, Magical Girl, Senei Hero, etc. Choosing your outfit, hair style, hair color, voice, and adjusting the stat points to what you want for the character.
    5ug2dx.jpg

I don't think this game comes anywhere close in insane number of classes and party compositions. :(

God dammit I want these games. How dare they tease us with the first one and then deny us all the rest! Makes me wanna get my pogrom on.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's coming to PAL too right?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ystael wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

I think you and I are two of the six people who played it. It was awesome until the first time I made the mistake of trying to bring up the zone map in Trynton. I think it took about 20 minutes to finish rendering. The second time I made that mistake, I quit playing for good.

Also, the enemy scaling was brutal.

So is this new XSEED game "good abusive" like Etrian Odyssey, where it's just hard and you're in constant danger of dying, or "bad abusive" like the old Wizardry games, where you needed a guide or moronic quantities of trial and error to finish?

The hell? Wizardry 8 was fucking amazing. The scaling was offset by the silly amounts of insta-kill you could have. I had a samurai who had over 50% chance to instakill on hit, with multiple attacks a round.

But there were unicorns. Really high level unicorns. They were unpleasant.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crusaders of the Dark Savant is the single greatest game of all-time.

49ce5bbd-4315-4981-8cda-295d436d8196.jpg

8f78d8a1-74df-4736-a874-47528889dc6d.jpg

Also, this dude has put together an outstanding compendium of old-school Wizardry infromation:
    www.tk421.net/wizardry

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are we getting the disk version, or just the PSN?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PSN. I highly doubt anyone's getting the disc version.

And this is why I love the PSN. There would be no chance of a game like this getting a PS3 release on a disc.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The option of digital distribution really is one of the best things to happen to the gaming industry.
    Thank you Steam, PSN, and XBL for allowing niche and indy to happen.

Though the disc version apparently has a lot of the DLC built-in. I wonder how XSeed is going to handle how much comes pre-packaged with their version of the game and how much they'll offer at a premium.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There's even murmurs we might be getting Umineko localized on the PSN. Can you imagine the doors that would open up?

If this is a miracle, that would be the RAPTURE, but after this, nothing would surprise me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    There's even murmurs we might be getting Umineko localized on the PSN. Can you imagine the doors that would open up?

If this is a miracle, that would be the RAPTURE, but after this, nothing would surprise me.

I would totally buy that in a heartbeat. Been reading the Higurashi When They Cry manga (not the game itself), but it's apparently a good adaption. It's horrifying and soul wrenching. I can only imagine the sequel is just as much, if not more so.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've heard Umineko's isn't that good. The sound novel's the way to go, and from what I've played of the PC version, I agree. It'd take ages to cram that much character development into a manga.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've heard Umineko's isn't that good. The sound novel's the way to go, and from what I've played of the PC version, I agree. It'd take ages to cram that much character development into a manga.

Was talking about the Umineko game myself.
    Also, the Higurashi manga is 35 volumes. God I have a lot left to read. :!:

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I don't think that's getting a PSN release. Or any kind of localization at all. The PS3 game took me 80 hours to clear. Yes, the game has a lot of text, but I probably would have gone through it in 40 if it weren't for listening to all the voice acting.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really wish we were getting a physical release of this.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man

Oh god.

blaze_zero on