Options

[DnD 4E] The Hunters (Discussion Thread)

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe I haven't asked this already, but can we spend action points in this encounter, Denada?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No action points. It's not a traditional encounter, so action points don't quite fit the model.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okedoke!

Edit: If we can put some Covering Fire down on that red zone right next to the door, that'll save four dwarves for one action. Afterward, Caleb can try to intimidate those cambions away, or do you guys think we should just focus on saving dwarveses?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the idea of focusing on saving dwarves unless we can kill more cambions than we could save dwarves. The cambion killing seems to be mostly one at a time.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Right-o, but Caleb can get 3 cambions to flee with a successful intimidate. I think I'll try to do that just in hopes of preventing us from being overrun by cambions. The trouble is, if I get rid of some of those nearby cambions, then the dwarves are no longer in a red zone and wouldn't be able to benefit from someone's Covering Fire. Can I stipulate that Caleb makes the intimidation attempt after any Covering Fire attempts, Denada?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could just... wait...

Delmain on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Delmain wrote: »
    You could just... wait...

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not get radical here.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This legitimately made me laugh out loud. :)

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I could go kill one cambion or get two paladins to safety. It seems to me to make more sense to get the two to safety but I feel a little silly doing the same thing over and over.

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You could actually get three dwarves to safety if you hit up the yellow zone I'm in because I missed my endurance but hit my heal. Maybe even 4 if you hit a heal check and res another one adjacent to you.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Good call, Delmain!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Good point! It does make more sense to do combat medic first!

Kistra on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys could retcon that to have cool dialog.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bryse, try to cover some of those paladins, the ones in front of us are probably going to get slaughtered. I have a bunch of stamina remaining, so once the paladins are safe, I can take a bunch of hits and not be worried.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A few things for the days to come:

-I'm looking to end this encounter tomorrow (Friday). If PP doesn't post for Bryse soon, I'd like one of you to take care of that.

-I'll be spending most of next week in the hospital attending to the birth of my second daughter (and my wife's recovery, of course), so posting is going to be very light next week, and a little spotty in the week or two after.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okedoke. Is there a time tomorrow you'd like us to post by? I can take care of it if PP isn't around; I only have to teach for an hour in the morning and then I'll be free all day.

Also CONGRATULATIONS

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You have spawned during the course of our PbP. I am so happy.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Congratulations!

Is this going to be the last round, or is this also notice that we should all be around to post today as well?

Kistra on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey congratulations Denada!

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for covering for me guys. I forgot to give yall a heads up regarding PAX and me going.

Congratulations Denada, that is awesome!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for taking the time to do this prior to what is going to be a ridiculous week for you, I'm sure.

I'm excited for paragon tier!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the congratulations everyone. I'm pretty excited about the baby.

As for the game, some big stuff is going to start happening in Paragon tier, so I'm pretty excited about that too. And take note: in the same way I've done for my Broken Chains group, I'm going to allow you to rebuild your characters from the ground up during this transition if you wish. There's no limit on retraining, you can re-do your attributes, change class features, etc. If anything about your character isn't working out the way you'd like it to, now would be a great time to change that. You've got a whole week to mull over your options, so take as much time as you need. I'll hand out treasure once your characters are updated.

Thanks for sticking with the game guys. It's been fun for me and I'm glad we've all made it this far. Here's hoping that it continues to be enjoyable for all of us.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, level 12 AND a full rebuild?! So many options!

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh gosh. I'm gonna have to spend close to a full day exploring the character builder.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah... so I've been playing around with the character builder and there are some feats for rangers that give me bonuses when none of my allies are next to the enemy I am attacking (+2 to hit and +5 to damage). Would it bother any of you guys if Aurora was avoiding flanking?

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, it wouldn't bother me, but I'm not in melee! Rokhir might want a flanking buddy, though, since we only have the 2 melee characters.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, I spent some time to review my options. I don't think I'm going to be fully revamping Bornir, since I just did that a couple encounters ago. I've updated Bornir with a battle focused Paragon path, and more feats to help healing. Let me know if anybody has any issues with my choices!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I really like flanking because my hammer isn't a +3 prof weapon and paladins don't really have any precise attacks. Plus, I tend to like gathering enemies up if possible, so I'm not sure how often you'd be able to use something like that.

Edit: I also won't be able to spend a lot of time working with my character till the weekend is over because of my work schedule.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's fine, we've got a whole week to look it over. I actually haven't done too much tinkering with Caleb; I knew where he was going paragon-path wise pretty early on. The sheet's updated if you guys want to take a gander or make any suggestions. I think I might still fiddle with power choices, and I'll definitely rejigger some skills.

Also, I ditched Caleb's leather armor proficiency for unarmored agility so's he can wear cloth, and picked up implement training for accurate daggers, so an accurate dagger and cloth armor are on my wishlist, Denada!

I'm going to throw up an RP post about Caleb's transition to paragon-pathiness sometime soon. This week's also a good opportunity for us to react to stuff IC.

Bornir, I think your paragon path looks pretty awesome! The features all seem really cool, and the powers look strong too.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I was looking at pally builds before work today for a while and I'm thinking... kuhl, have you chosen any heals where there was a damage/control option you'd've liked more? Because I'm thinking a little bit around putting in more lay on hands usage for Rokhir. At level 12, I have 13 healing surges from Con alone, and a feat that gives me 2 more and lets me add Con to my surge value. I then have a feat that lets me regain a usage of LoH with every milestone. With +4 wis, I could use a LoH every encounter and not actually run out until after the 7th encounter in a row without an extended, or use them more often as there's no per-encounter limit other than my own healing surges... This meshes well with my feat that gives me Wis Mod resist all every time I spend a healing surge.

Basically, what I'm saying is if you want to see if there's any more leader-y/controler-y type stuff you can do instead of healing, it might be worth investigating.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Here is my original rebuild of Aurora. I will keep looking around for other interesting paragon paths and feats, but I really like the flavor of the blood fury hunter PP.

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We need to get you a blood fury weapon to go along with that PP!
    Power (Encounter): Minor Action. You are considered bloodied for all purposes (including beneficial effects such as the Dragonborn Fury racial trait) until the end of your next turn.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Saurfang wrote: »
    We need to get you a blood fury weapon to go along with that PP!
    Power (Encounter): Minor Action. You are considered bloodied for all purposes (including beneficial effects such as the Dragonborn Fury racial trait) until the end of your next turn.

...drool...

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Delmain wrote: »
    I was looking at pally builds before work today for a while and I'm thinking... kuhl, have you chosen any heals where there was a damage/control option you'd've liked more? Because I'm thinking a little bit around putting in more lay on hands usage for Rokhir. At level 12, I have 13 healing surges from Con alone, and a feat that gives me 2 more and lets me add Con to my surge value. I then have a feat that lets me regain a usage of LoH with every milestone. With +4 wis, I could use a LoH every encounter and not actually run out until after the 7th encounter in a row without an extended, or use them more often as there's no per-encounter limit other than my own healing surges... This meshes well with my feat that gives me Wis Mod resist all every time I spend a healing surge.

Basically, what I'm saying is if you want to see if there's any more leader-y/controler-y type stuff you can do instead of healing, it might be worth investigating.

I'll take a look at stuff. Right now, the most useful feats I can take are mostly Healing Word buffs and the like. Most powers I've taken since the rebuild have been damage focused as well as conferring benefits to the rest of us.

I spend some more time poking around though.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So yeah, I can't save from the CB. I'll have to see if I can use a roommates computer to update Orokos.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wrote a ridiculously long post covering Caleb's transition to his paragon path.

Also, I think the Essentials update is going to allow humans to choose between the extra at-will and a new human encounter power; I'll opt for the encounter power, but it won't be in the CB until it's updated with the Essentials stuff, hopefully in about a week or so.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Saurfang wrote: »
    I wrote a ridiculously long post covering Caleb's transition to his paragon path.

Also, I think the Essentials update is going to allow humans to choose between the extra at-will and a new human encounter power; I'll opt for the encounter power, but it won't be in the CB until it's updated with the Essentials stuff, hopefully in about a week or so.

That was really cool.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yay! I enjoyed writing it. Thanks for reading it! Having someone else read something that I put a lot of work into makes me feel like it was worth the effort! :)

Ahem. That is, assuming you're talking about my wall of text and not the Essentials change for humans, because that is admittedly cool as well. :P

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm back home and slowly catching up on things. I'll get to an update in the next day or two hopefully.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hope everything went well and congrats again! Nice to have you back!

Saurfang on