As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motorcyclin' the country side

• Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    JRosey wrote: »
    Wow that is a gorgeous machine. I love BMWs. I'm a lone wolf too, wish my friends had the income I did so we could start a sick motorbike gang.

We're naked and proud! Drink it in.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Flying CouchFlying Couch Registered User regular
    Is the fuel tank under the seat on that Beemer? That's pretty neat. What's in the traditional fuel tank location, then, a Buell-style air cleaner setup?

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    My 800GS has the same design and on my bike there is nothing usable for the driver in the traditional fual tank location.

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Can you put a helmet there?

My first motorcycle lust was for a F800 ST. There isn't a BMW dealership anywhere around here so it would've been very impractical to own one, and now I've got the triple sickness anyway so it all worked out.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Nope. Cant put anything there. It acts just as a fuel tank but whats under it I just dont know.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I hate having to clean my rear rim every freaking day. It's always dirty. Is this just the joy of owning a motorcycle or what?

Also, I talked to some kid at the gym last night. He said that he works on bikes, yada, yada, yada - I would never trust him to work on my bike - but he mentioned some kind of performance chip that I should buy for my Suzuki.

Any idea what that might be?

• Options
    Slider wrote: »
    I hate having to clean my rear rim every freaking day. It's always dirty. Is this just the joy of owning a motorcycle or what?

Also, I talked to some kid at the gym last night. He said that he works on bikes, yada, yada, yada - I would never trust him to work on my bike - but he mentioned some kind of performance chip that I should buy for my Suzuki.

probably power commander? Let's you tune shit up in the ECU I think.

I'm not sure I've ever cleaned my rear rim though.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My rear rim is disgustingly dirty. Between road dirt being kicked up and brake dust, it is futile.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    My rear rim is disgustingly dirty. Between road dirt being kicked up and brake dust, it is futile.

yep I'm not going to fight a battle I can't win

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    musanman wrote: »

My first motorcycle lust was for a F800 ST. There isn't a BMW dealership anywhere around here so it would've been very impractical to own one, and now I've got the triple sickness anyway so it all worked out.

Man I love the Triumphs. Is it a Speed triple or a street triple? They're both what I get jealously pangs over the most.

I think my next bike, if I can ever get anywhere financially, will have to be a dual sport. Take the adventuring to the next level. I used to work at Whole Foods and these guys would roll up on their R1200GS's to buy trail mix and jazz. Those things are like clydesdales up close.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

There are loads of ECU interceptor-type things about. Power Commanders are probably the most well known. Standard Gixxer ECUs can be reflashed with whatever engine map you like, though.

You have to know what you're doing and ideally have access to a dyno to see any benefit.

• Options
    Ant000 wrote: »

Man I love the Triumphs. Is it a Speed triple or a street triple? They're both what I get jealously pangs over the most.

nope, go back a page it's a sprint st (includes the sexy, sexy sound)

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    japan wrote: »

There are loads of ECU interceptor-type things about. Power Commanders are probably the most well known. Standard Gixxer ECUs can be reflashed with whatever engine map you like, though.

You have to know what you're doing and ideally have access to a dyno to see any benefit.

Forget that.

I'm pretty happy with my bike. If I fall into some extra money, then maybe I'll try to get some more power out of it.

Slider on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Forget that.

I'm pretty happy with my bike. If I fall into some extra money, then maybe I'll try to get some more power out of it.

My boss's husband is a big Gixxer guy. I know that for some models it can be worth reflashing the ECU with the map from a similar, later model (where the engines are mechanically identical or very similar you get the benefit of the extra development time from the later model map) but there is lower-hanging fruit if you want more performance.

• Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    So I've started cruising the local craiglist ads to see if there's anything decent for me to get started on. It seems to be mostly dirt bikes and pit bikes around here but there is a fair amount of people with mid to late 70's or early 80's bikes for sale. A decent number of them have fallen into disrepair, but I'm wondering if that might be a way to go if the price is right.

On the one hand, they can be had for remarkably cheap and they're not in the sort of condition that anyone would notice after my inevitable first drop.

On the other hand, most of them are "currently not running" and have miscellaneous parts needed to solve the problem (according to the sellers). Particularly, I've been looking at these two: Just needs a spark plug? or Super cheap mystery problem.

Are either of those bikes worth the hassle? I can do minor maintenance on cars, so replacing a spark plug sounds doable for me (assuming that's all that's actually wrong), but the other I'd definitely need a mechanic. Is there some other mechanical issue I should look for in a cheap bike because it's an easy problem to fix but people just don't?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The spark-plug one:
    They mean the spark plug blew out of the engine, wrecking the threads. They used a helicoil, which involves drilling the hole bigger then putting in another piece of metal that has the threads necessarily. I think I'd stay away from that one.

Mystery problem:
    If the guy is telling the truth about riding it last season, it is usually very easy to get running again. My bike sat all winter and wouldn't start. The battery charge needed to be topped off and there was a bit of stale gas in the carburetor bowls that had to be drained out. That involves being able to turn a screwdriver, in my experience. I'd be interested in that for $325. The exhaust on it looks like it could be close to $325. It might need some tinkering though. Chain might be getting old, though. It looks like it is sagging a bit, which might just need an adjustment (pulling a wrench in my experience) or putting a new chain on (a bit more involved, but not by much).

Are you interested in light tinkering? That CB550 would be a good choice, if so.

My first (and current) bike is an '81 KZ750 that I bought four years ago. I like to learn how to fix it, though.

• Options
    I'm down in Arizona.

How often should I be lubricating my chain? No, not that chain. Perverts.

Also, my bike doesn't have a center stand. I guess I'll need to buy one of those...stand...things.

• Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    The spark-plug one:
    They mean the spark plug blew out of the engine, wrecking the threads. They used a helicoil, which involves drilling the hole bigger then putting in another piece of metal that has the threads necessarily. I think I'd stay away from that one.

Mystery problem:
    If the guy is telling the truth about riding it last season, it is usually very easy to get running again. My bike sat all winter and wouldn't start. The battery charge needed to be topped off and there was a bit of stale gas in the carburetor bowls that had to be drained out. That involves being able to turn a screwdriver, in my experience. I'd be interested in that for $325. The exhaust on it looks like it could be close to $325. It might need some tinkering though. Chain might be getting old, though. It looks like it is sagging a bit, which might just need an adjustment (pulling a wrench in my experience) or putting a new chain on (a bit more involved, but not by much).

Are you interested in light tinkering? That CB550 would be a good choice, if so.

My first (and current) bike is an '81 KZ750 that I bought four years ago. I like to learn how to fix it, though.

Thanks for the info. It seemed like there was more going on than just the spark plug on the first one so I'm glad to be set straight there. I sent an email to the guy with the CB550 but haven't heard anything back. Seems probable that he sold it and just didn't pull the ad. Or he was scamming.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Cold outside but the sun was shining so best to take advantage.
    bildjv.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Lind wrote: »
    Cold outside but the sun was shining so best to take advantage.
    bildjv.jpg

Nice bike man! Is that the stock exhaust?

My F800R has the same engine I think; I love it to pieces but the exhaust note is positively timid. I'm wondering if I'll get much out of an upgrade... aurally speaking. You're prolly too busy taking in nature to care :D.

And I'm not "that guy," but sexy engine sounds... are sexy...

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    This is my second winter as a proud bike owner... and like any good negligent guardian I just realized I totally forgot to hook the battery up to its trickle charger. It started... I hope I didn't do any damage...!

BMW_F_800R.jpg

That's my noble steed in his nude glory... (well same model, thats a stock photo) First bike at 800ccs and I definitely don't regret starting at that displacement. I don't really foresee needing anything larger, though. Not for the street. It's got excellent torque and speed but still manages to be pleasant in the city. ABS saved me from a rainy-day near miss, and the heated grips.... some people think it's goofy looking from the front but what can ya do :).

Gotta say though, I *did* drop it at about the second week mark. I had somehow convinced myself I would be the exception to the motorcycle community rule that it will happen, it's only a question of when. Luckily I only broke a turn signal.

Hoping to find some guys to ride with this summer; last summer was lone wolfin around BC and trying my hand on the twisties on the sea to sky from Vancouver to Whistler.

Holy fuck that's a sexy bike. What made you go for an 800cc bike as your first ride? I've started actively dreaming about buying a bike again recently, and I'm more or less settled on a Ducati Monster 696. I also like the idea of a Ninja 650, but I'd just be buying it with the intention of ripping the farings off and making it all streetfightery anyway so... I just don't want to get something with too much power, or a really aggressive power curve. How has it been learning on that thing?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    This is my second winter as a proud bike owner... and like any good negligent guardian I just realized I totally forgot to hook the battery up to its trickle charger. It started... I hope I didn't do any damage...!

That's my noble steed in his nude glory... (well same model, thats a stock photo) First bike at 800ccs and I definitely don't regret starting at that displacement. I don't really foresee needing anything larger, though. Not for the street. It's got excellent torque and speed but still manages to be pleasant in the city. ABS saved me from a rainy-day near miss, and the heated grips.... some people think it's goofy looking from the front but what can ya do :).

Gotta say though, I *did* drop it at about the second week mark. I had somehow convinced myself I would be the exception to the motorcycle community rule that it will happen, it's only a question of when. Luckily I only broke a turn signal.

Hoping to find some guys to ride with this summer; last summer was lone wolfin around BC and trying my hand on the twisties on the sea to sky from Vancouver to Whistler.

Holy fuck that's a sexy bike. What made you go for an 800cc bike as your first ride? I've started actively dreaming about buying a bike again recently, and I'm more or less settled on a Ducati Monster 696. I also like the idea of a Ninja 650, but I'd just be buying it with the intention of ripping the farings off and making it all streetfightery anyway so... I just don't want to get something with too much power, or a really aggressive power curve. How has it been learning on that thing?

:)

Well, during riding school I was able to try a 250cc dual-spot, a 250cc Ninja, and 500cc Honda cruiser. I knew right off the bat, once I had the essentials down, these wouldn't cut the mustard. I'm 6'3 and 200lbs and I was capped out on the highway on all three with no power to spare. So I was looking in the 500-1000cc range after that.

I became pretty adamant on getting ABS brakes, which BMW offers on every single model. I've read a lot of commentary within various motorcycle forum communities and there are some who swear by them while others consider them wholly unnecessary. All I can say is I've felt it kick in a few times during some hairy moments, and while it's no substitute for rider skill and training your reflexes, I'm glad to have it. Even one "high-side" would put most guys off riding for good. Honda is really getting into it in a big way (ABS and now traction control) and I think it's only a matter of time 'till it's standard equipment.

And finally I was dead set on naked/"standard". My dealership is a BMW/Ducati and I definitely loved me some 'catis. The white monster was seriously tempting; especially the 796 (has an ABS option too... and a SS swing-arm), but it was at least 30% more expensive. Plus I'm 6'4 and the monsters are a little cramped for my bod.

So within the 500-1000cc, ABS equipped, sub 10k (Canadian), naked bikes, I had one choice! And 800CC's it was. It's really forgiving while having incredible torque. Learning was/continues to be great. Downtown core, touch and go, low speed traffic weaving is effortless (some bikes get cranky driving like that) but it's no highway slouch. Grabbing a handful of throttle won't kill you. Grabbing a handful of brake won't either. Top speed and acceleration at high speeds (like 160+ KPH) it couldn't compete with a sport but I've only pushed it like that once (topped out at 230KPH due to wind resistance; on a desolate six lane highway mind you so don't get the wrong idea!).

Germans know their stuff! Mine's a 2010 but the 2012's look even cooler.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Nice bike man! Is that the stock exhaust?

My F800R has the same engine I think; I love it to pieces but the exhaust note is positively timid. I'm wondering if I'll get much out of an upgrade... aurally speaking. You're prolly too busy taking in nature to care :D.

And I'm not "that guy," but sexy engine sounds... are sexy...

No thats the Akrapovic exhaust but its hard to tell from that angle. Sadly the DB Killer is still inside so it doesnt sound all that much. In fact I think the stock exhaust sounds "louder" but the Akrapovic sound is better, still I'll be looking to rip it out someday to get the full sound. Bloody expensive thing but like you say, a nice sound is so sexy.

Oh and yeah I think the engine is the same on our bikes. Its pretty great but I feel the first gear is a little high when using the bike offroad. Still its great on dirtroads even for a allroad n00b like me.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

:)

Well, during riding school I was able to try a 250cc dual-spot, a 250cc Ninja, and 500cc Honda cruiser. I knew right off the bat, once I had the essentials down, these wouldn't cut the mustard. I'm 6'3 and 200lbs and I was capped out on the highway on all three with no power to spare. So I was looking in the 500-1000cc range after that.

I was pretty adamant on getting ABS brakes, which BMW offers on every single model. I've read a lot of commentary within various motorcycle forum communities and there are some who swear by them while others consider them wholly unnecessary. All I can say is I've felt it kick in a few times during some hairy moments, and while it's no substitute for rider skill and training your reflexes, I'm glad to have it. Even one "high-side" would put most guys off riding for good. Honda is really getting into it in a big way (ABS and now traction control) and I think it's only a matter of time 'till it's standard equipment.

And finally I was dead set on naked. My dealership is a BMW/Ducati and I definitely loved me some 'catis. The white monster was seriously tempting; especially the 796 (has an ABS option too), but it was at least 30% more expensive. Plus I'm 6'4 and the monsters are a little cramped for my bod.

So within the 500-1000cc, ABS equipped, sub 10k (Canadian), naked bikes, I had one choice! And 800CC's it was. It's really forgiving while having incredible torque. Learning was/continues to be great. Downtown core, touch and go, low speed traffic weaving is effortless but it's no highway slouch. Grabbing a handful of throttle won't kill you. Grabbing a handful of brake won't either. Top speed and acceleration at high speeds (like 160+ KPH) it couldn't compete with a sport but I've only pushed it like that once (topped out at 230KPH due to wind resistance; on a desolate six lane highway mind you so don't get the wrong idea!).

Germans know their stuff! Mine's a 2010 but the 2012's look even cooler.

Yeah. I want the extra power because I know I'm going to end up doing a significant amount of freeway riding and I don't want to feel like a 250's straining all the time, also the idea of not having to get a new bike in a year or two after I outgrow it is nice. The main attraction of the Ducati besides the look is the ABS. I am a smaller guy at 5'8" 180lbs. so I can fit on pretty much anything as long as my feet touch the ground. Like I said, if I get a Ninja I'll be turning it into a naked bike/streetfighter anyway so it would be nice to get something that starts out that way.

I of course need to take the MSF course and try out the bikes I'm looking at to make sure I'm comfortable before making any final decisions, but I hadn't seen your bike before and it's slick. No storage anywhere on the thing with the fuel tank where it is though? That kind of sucks. :( Wonder why they didn't stick something in front of the seat.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah storage would have been sweet! Not sure what they have crammed in there. The seat comes off with the flick of a key, though, and there's some space in there :). I've been meaning to get a tank bag but it kinda complicates the... nudity appeal.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    I have a question for all your PA riders or folks think of becoming a rider.

What do you personally consider/look at when it comes to helmets? Be it a Full Face,MX/Offroad, Dual Sport, Modular, half, 3/4, modular,etc

How important are things like brand name, technology, graphics, or weight to you?

• Options
    I got a small first aid kit under the seat just incase :)

• Options

What do you personally consider/look at when it comes to helmets? Be it a Full Face,MX/Offroad, Dual Sport, Modular, half, 3/4, modular,etc

How important are things like brand name, technology, graphics, or weight to you?

full face, if I rode with a group more often I might shell out for a nice modular...but they make some pretty shitty modular helmets

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The helmet should be a full face helmet. You like having a face, yes?
    helmetcrashdiagram.gif
    That chin bar has a pretty high impact percentage, don't you think?

For crash testing -- the US DOT spec for impact protection is hilariously out of date. It's really a bare minimum. You want one that's rated to either ECE 22.05 (the EU impact spec) or Snell M2010 (a US-based nonprofit that does its own private impact testing). These two standards are just about identical, which means that you can get an instant internet flamewar by arguing about which one is better. Suffice it to say that they're both far past DOT.

Beyond that, you can basically treat all SnellM2010 helmets as being equally protective; even if they're not, you don't have any real data to go on beyond what's been independently tested. Make sure it fits you properly, though; that's the most important thing by far. This means you will probably need to try them on in person.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm glad that someone posted that image, and proud to be a member of this forum because of it.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Full-face. Brand's not important as long as it's established and meets safety standards. Weight's irrelevant to me; I've never noticed a difference, even after hours of riding with a "heavy" helmet. Graphics should really only matter to whoever is buying the helmet.

I used to have a modular helmet, but I found that I never used its features. Plus, full-face helmets fit more snugly.

The only things that really matters are fit and comfort.

adytum on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I've only had him 25 hours and this happens!
    ironhidesnow.jpg

• Options
    Shoulda bought the snow tires.

Or at least a cover.

• Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    Thank you for the feedback. I was asking because I actually work for a newer helmet company and wanted to see if I have lost touch on what riders are looking for in a helmet.

• Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I was asking because I actually work for a newer helmet company and wanted to see if I have lost touch on what riders are looking for in a helmet.

send me your best helmet and I'll tell you what's wrong with it

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    My reqs are as others listed above: full face, snell.
    What I'd like to find is something with a decent retroreflective design. Kinda tired of tribals and vector art swirly designs, and don't think I've seen a helmet come reflective.

• Options

I'll take a medium.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    My reqs are as others listed above: full face, snell.
    What I'd like to find is something with a decent retroreflective design. Kinda tired of tribals and vector art swirly designs, and don't think I've seen a helmet come reflective.

Slap a big strip of reflective tape on the back.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I'll take a medium.[/quote]

XL to XXL for me.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    I ride an '81 KZ750. My current helmet is a full face HJC CL-10? or -15. It is four years old and I am looking to replace it. I'll be going full face again, no flip down shaded visor as I keep some cheap sunglasses in my coat pocket. Other than safety ratings, venting is probably most important to me as is noise reduction. Weight, meh. I haven't noticed a difference the few times I tried on some other helmets.

I've heard great things about Scorpions (they are kind of new, is that your company?) so I think I'll be looking at their stuff. I don't feel I need to spend $400+ on a helmet, though.