As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

5.1 surround sound in windows media player 10

Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I just installed the 5.1 surround sound speakers I had on my gaming PC on my living room PC. Only the front left and front right speakers work when playing a movie though. I dont have a 5.1 sound card, I know there is a way to use all 5 speakers with winamp cause there is a winamp plugin for this. Is there anyway I can do this with windows media player?

Also, I have it setup in the sound properties/advanced to 5.1.

EDIT: I just tested the speakers and only the front left and right work at all. How do I get all 5 speakers to work without having a 5.1 sound card?

Steam ID - Fort1tude
Fort1tude on

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    first thing is get WMP11

Deusfaux on
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    first thing is get WMP11

Will that fix my problem? Cause I doubt it and I dont really want to spend any more time on this than I have too.

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
    edited December 2006
    The sound card is a Sound Blaster PCI 64.

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fort1tude wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    first thing is get WMP11

Will that fix my problem? Cause I doubt it and I dont really want to spend any more time on this than I have too.

its just better in every way, that it couldnt hurt not to i think in this case

Deusfaux on
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm assuming you installed the Creative drivers for your card.

I haven't done this in a coon's age, but try this out for starters:

-go to Control Panel (this is assuming XP by the way, but the procedure should be similar for whatever you've got)

-Go to the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' utility

-under the 'Volume' tab (fist tab that shows up), click the 'Advanced' button under the speaker settings heading.

-under the 'speakers' tab, select '5.1 surround sound speakers' from the drop down menu under the 'Speaker Setup' heading.

that should do it, just make sure whatever creative utilities came with the driver know you've got 5.1 and you should be all good.

kingmetal on
    edited December 2006
    Yea I did that, apparently this card is very old, I was hoping for a program or something that would trick the card into working like that.

Like I have a program for my main computers sound card (a Realtek) and it allows me to set up the 3 sound ports on the back to be whatever I want. Thats how I have the 5.1 work on that computer.

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
    edited December 2006
    My buddy is telling me to use 2 Y connectors. Wouldnt this degrade the quality immensely?

Edit: He just found a soundblaster Live card he used for a week and then got a better card. Hes bringing it over now, this topic can be closed.

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude