As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat Problem...

NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My gardens (front and back of the house) has become the neighborhood kitty litter apperantly. And it's starting to get bad. We have a cat of our own that we let out into backyard (she's too fat to jump the fence) so i don't know if she is contributing to my problem, but that doesn't count for my "kitty surprises" in the front yard garden.

Usually I wouldn't really care, but I have counted about 6 different cats in our neigborhood and my flowers are dying and always covered in shit flies... yeah super applealing.

So my question is what can i do about it that doesn't invovle a gun ;) I been told of sprays (no one can tell me what it's called though), or a type of plant that repels felines. I have tried stricking up a conversation with my nieghbor (who owns 2) about letting his cat be free, and pretty much he is not concerned about it. Telling me how he had one cat "disappear" so he got another and that his cats love the outdoors too much to keep them in :(

13142111181576.png
Neyla on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    You can get a couple of mason jars, fill them with mothballs, poke a few holes in the lid, and then bury them up to about an inch from the top.

The smell will help keep them away.

Or you can go to a hunting store and buy some deer musk and sprinkle it around the yard.

They make these little water sprinkles that turn on when animals get in your yard as well.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Go into your local hardware store and ask someone. There are many products out there that will help you.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Go into your local hardware store and ask someone. There are many products out there that will help you.

Usually i would, but the last few times i have gone to Rona, Home Depo or Canadian Tire been nightmare, so i figure i would start here first. I do perfer "home remedies" rather then buying chemicals or sprinklers.

Thanks for the link Canada_jezus :) Wonder if it is too late to plant Rue... But the mothballs can be a quick fix till then. Thank you for that one Sheep :D

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Great, you guys toss out advice and I get to go shopping for Mothballs!
    I guess for the record we don't want to keep our cat out of the yard, just the garden.
    I'll look at the mason jars and maybe stick some kabob skewers in the garden.

Thanks for your help guys!

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've heard they don't like walking over aluminum foil (I know it's a remedy for keeping them away from ground-level windows). Maybe a layer around the garden until they stop coming around?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jaded wrote: »
    Great, you guys toss out advice and I get to go shopping for Mothballs!
    I guess for the record we don't want to keep our cat out of the yard, just the garden.
    I'll look at the mason jars and maybe stick some kabob skewers in the garden.

Thanks for your help guys!

I recently had to pick up a bunch of mason jars for something, and I was pleasently surprised at how cheap they were.

I found one dozen medium-sized ones (with lids) for $5 at Zellers.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    elfdudeelfdude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's a lot of flowers that'll keep cats away as well. Roses are great for this as a cat's hide is thinner and more fragile than ours and the mild irritant in the rose thorns make for a good lesson. Coleus canin is a hybrid plant made from some of the best cat repellent herbs. It has tiny little blue flowers and smells of schnapps to humans. Lavender, rue, geranium, absinthe, lemon sage, lemon mint and lemon-thyme are also all great cat repellents as they don't enjoy the smell. For some reason cats don't like the smell of sour things so a lot of those will help. You might have limited success with mints as well. Cat's don't usually appreciate bark dust in the garden so using that can eliminate them pretty quickly. Just keep in mind though that a lot of these plants are also as near to a weed as you can get and without stringently controlling them they're likely to get out of hand and getting rid of them is damn near impossible.

elfdude on
    Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should've come to MY work.

This is your go-to product:

Havahart-Critter-Ridder-Granular-BEN_i_bmm126651s.jpg

Basically piperine and capsicum: Black Pepper and chili pepper extract. Smells kind of nice actually, if you like spicy stuff. Anyways, lasts a month, we sell the smaller size for about $12. Totally organic, basically nothing that's going to seep into your soil or your plants so safe around everything. And nothing in it is going to poison or even hurt animals, so neighbors can't bitch that you're trying to kill their cats. Hell, some people will try to tell you if a dog is sniffing around and accidentally gets some up it's nose that it'll kill it. Unless you're piling it into a pile (using it wrong), and the dog is completely retarded and can't smell shit unless it's inches away, this will not happen.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You should've come to MY work.

This is your go-to product:

Havahart-Critter-Ridder-Granular-BEN_i_bmm126651s.jpg

Basically piperine and capsicum: Black Pepper and chili pepper extract. Smells kind of nice actually, if you like spicy stuff. Anyways, lasts a month, we sell the smaller size for about $12. Totally organic, basically nothing that's going to seep into your soil or your plants so safe around everything. And nothing in it is going to poison or even hurt animals, so neighbors can't bitch that you're trying to kill their cats. Hell, some people will try to tell you if a dog is sniffing around and accidentally gets some up it's nose that it'll kill it. Unless you're piling it into a pile (using it wrong), and the dog is completely retarded and can't smell shit unless it's inches away, this will not happen.

My... god...
    You wouldn't believe it but I found some of this at our local Wal-Mart last night.
    Creepy... ;)

Jaded on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    net_gun.jpg

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Underdonk... I don't know which is better.
    The picture, or your signature.

Jaded on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jaded wrote: »
    Underdonk... I don't know which is better.
    The picture, or your signature.

The sig...

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    net_gun.jpg

Off topic: I can't quite make out the details on the uniforms in that picture, but I'll just say that I'm quite impressed that police in the PRC (?) have a functioning net-gun that does more than ruffles up people's hair.

Plus, it looks like a completely benign flashlight. Fantastic.
    net_gun_detail.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    net_gun.jpg

Off topic: I can't quite make out the details on the uniforms in that picture, but I'll just say that I'm quite impressed that police in the PRC (?) have a functioning net-gun that does more than ruffles up people's hair.

net_gun_detail.jpg

Hey, if they can make these by the billions...
    31cUMuzp0nL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

...they should be able to make a fully functioning net gun.

The mechanics are about as difficult, right?

underdonk on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    lol

I could just picture my neighbors reaction if they see it when the net deploys....

Pure awesome.

I'll take 2... and what is the weight limit on those? you see our cat....well... i call her butterball for a reason.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    net_gun.jpg

net_gun_detail.jpg

Well, that is true....I mean, I'm not doubting China's industrial capacity and fabrication processes (I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords....), but net guns always seem to be spectacular failures, regardless of the industrial chops of whatever nation builds them.

This one just seems to be hard to aim. Everything else seems to work fine.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    net_gun.jpg

net_gun_detail.jpg

Well, that is true....I mean, I'm not doubting China's industrial capacity and fabrication processes (I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords....), but net guns always seem to be spectacular failures, regardless of the industrial chops of whatever nation builds them.

This one just seems to be hard to aim. Everything else seems to work fine.

Hey man, this isn't Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner for fuck's sake. These guys in AZ have been perfecting the net gun technology for twenty-seven years, apparently. Plus, they can do that shit from helicopters. They specialize in it, in fact.

http://www.codaenterprises.com/products.html

America, fuck yeah.

underdonk on