As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New XBOX 360 Dashboard Update Launches

JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
The newest dashboard update is available for download as of 6:00AM EST today. For those of us who were not lucky enough to get into the preview program some new features include:

Games on Demand:

Enjoy the convenience of finding and buying new games right from the comfort of your own living room. Download a wide selection of full Xbox 360 games over Xbox LIVE. Games on Demand is now available for purchase on Xbox LIVE as part of the latest Xbox LIVE Update. You will be able to browse and purchase games through the Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web starting August 13.
* Shop- Games on Demand are found in the Game Marketplace and include a large library of favorite titles right from the start. More titles are added every Tuesday, so check back whenever you’re in the mood for a great new game.
* Purchase - Purchase full games using Microsoft points or a credit card. Games are downloaded directly to your console (hard drive required), and your purchase history is stored by Xbox LIVE, meaning you can delete games and re-download them again if you run out of space.
* Playing and Sharing - As with other LIVE content, your game license is linked to your Xbox LIVE account. Download your purchased games to any console you are logged into with your Gamertag, and anyone else can play on the console that your game was originally downloaded to. No physical disc is required to play these games!
* Find Manuals - Game manuals can be viewed, downloaded, or printed from Xbox.com. Just locate your game in Web Marketplace and select “See Game Manual”.

systemupdate_gond_325.jpg
Avatars have seen lots of love! Check out the new Marketplace and Avatar Props. The Avatar Marketplace is now available on Xbox LIVE as part of the latest Xbox LIVE Update. You will be able to browse and purchase Avatar apparel through the Xbox LIVE Marketplace on the Web starting August 13.
* Avatar Props - Equip your avatar with animated items they can interact with and carry around.
* Avatar Marketplace - Reflect your sense of style with the new Avatar Marketplace. Download and purchase premium items, including branded apparel from your favorite fashion labels and Xbox 360 games.

systemupdate_avmp_325.jpg
Netflix
Now you can watch movies with your friends and find new movies to add to your Instant Queue without leaving your seat.
* Party Watch - Catch a show with your friends! Bring your party into Netflix and watch a movie or TV show together. (Feature available with supported titles.)
* Find Content Faster - Browse through New Releases and other genre lists based on the types of shows you’ve previously watched, all from the comfort of your couch.
* Improved Playback Experience - Improvements have been made to ensure a better experience when adapting to changing network conditions.
* Improved Presence - Richer information is now displayed in the Friends channel and in the Guide showing what you and your friends are watching.

systemupdate_netflix_325.jpg
That's the basics, the rest can be found at Microsoft's official site.

*If you reinstall any installed from disk games you may find yourself with a bit more HDD space!* <Unbreakable Vow

So go get that update and start whining about how you hate it and wish it had never been designed and we should go back to blades.

I am currently browsing the features if anyone wants to try some of the community based ones get at me on GT: JamesDM

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
JamesDM on

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Its really not all that different. Games on demand might end up being useful though if they would ever drop the price of their damn hard drives.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You left out the part where if you delete your game installs and reinstall them, there's a good chance the install size will be lower as many have been lowered.

User ratings are a neat idea.

Once the Elite price drop happens, Games on Demand will be the most important part of this update for me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This does mark the start of Avatar unlockables from games though. Looking forward to seeing what the 'Splosion man unlockable is.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    Its really not all that different. Games on demand might end up being useful though if they would ever drop the price of their damn hard drives.

I am conviced games on demand means we will see larger HDDs soon as well as a small price drop on current ones available.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Microsoft points are still there as well, just they list the prices for games on demand in real dollars.

Zephos on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »

I am conviced games on demand means we will see larger HDDs soon as well as a small price drop on current ones available.

Bout damn time. A 360 cost me way more than a PS3 could have since I had to buy a Wireless adapter, Play and Charge Kit, and now a new HD. Which the PS3 has all built in. :?

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The 'Splosion man avatar award is a pink tutu, but I have yet to see one in the wild yet.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The 'Splosion man avatar award is a pink tutu, but I have yet to see one in the wild yet.

I know that if you
    take the cowards way out you get a tutu in game but not as the avatar gear,
    is this official at all?

JamesDM on

• Options
    edited August 2009

I know that if you
    take the cowards way out you get a tutu in game but not as the avatar gear,
    is this official at all?

my bad, apparently i was wrong, they are as follows

Spoilerd for large images.
    smboy01.jpg
    smgirl01.jpg

Zephos on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I'm not paying for avatar accessories and I will snarl my nose in contempt at anyone who does.

But clothing and accessories for in-game achievements? Aye.

Speaking of which, where is my vault suit Bethesda? Get on that shit plz.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I blew like 3 bucks on avatar accessories, i have a slick eyepatch and some random clothing, meh, wont need to buy anything else pretty much ever, hah.

Zephos on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The best thing about the update is Netflix browsing, and then instantly viewing something without having to go to a computer.

Spent Fitty Cents on a Laser Kill ring. Because it completed me.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2009

Given the current pricing scheme I'm expecting a 250 gig drive for 300 dollars. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wish you were kidding. :(

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I totally nerded out and made my avatar look like Stan from Monkey Island. Also my Avatar has a chicken with a pulley in the middle.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Theres a card in your game library that shows ammount of gamerscore relative to the maximum gamerscore you could get with your game collection, plus a space which contains icons for games you have all the achevements for.

Which is pretty annoying considering some games have one, ridiculous, achevement that takes way too long. Ex. Far Cry 2 and GTA4.

Edit: Will there ever be an option to delete game achevement data from your library? There's a few games I loaned from a friend that don't have any achevements for them, and for some reason playing the Zuma demo added the card. Sorta pointless to not being able to remove them.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aww, I was hoping you'd get 'Splosion man's big flaming head or somesuch.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There is a way to get rid of them Blurbl... If I were sitting in front of my 360 I could tell you, but I'm at work.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Games on Demand coming out just as my XBox's DVD drive dies is probably some kind of sign.

A sign that I should spend money I might otherwise spend on repairs on a new HDD instead.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The install size reduction sounds awesome. I've heard it scales drastically from game to game; Raiden Fighter Aces is supposed to go from a few gigs to under 500MB. And it will be quite difficult to avoid buying Monkey Island Avatar gear, but I'll do my best to avoid selling out.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just deleted and reinstalled Overlord to my 360. Went from 3.4 GB to 2.5GB.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    How is it reducing the data size? Better compression?

Any effect on game performance?

Edit: Thanks Echo.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Edit: Will there ever be an option to delete game achevement data from your library? There's a few games I loaned from a friend that don't have any achevements for them, and for some reason playing the Zuma demo added the card. Sorta pointless to not being able to remove them.

Go to Achievements in the whateverthehelltheycallthatbutton menu and you can press Y on games with zero gamerscore to remove them from the list.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    The install size reduction sounds awesome. I've heard it scales drastically from game to game; Raiden Fighter Aces is supposed to go from a few gigs to under 500MB. And it will be quite difficult to avoid buying Monkey Island Avatar gear, but I'll do my best to avoid selling out.

Monkey Island Stuff!!! This I must see.

But I'm still not paying for it. Had Monkey Island avatar unlocks been included in the MI:SE purchase then that would probably have sold me on getting 360 version over PC. However if they insist on selling them individually I'm simply not going to pay for clothes for my virtual man. Ever.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

But I'm still not paying for it. Had Monkey Island avatar unlocks been included in the MI:SE purchase then that would probably have sold me on getting 360 version over PC. However if they insist on selling them individually I'm simply not going to pay for clothes for my virtual man. Ever.

Example of the MI stuff on my AV. Getting a picture with the chicken in hand is hard.

Timspork.png

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They just added a ton of Star Wars stuff this morning. Things like a light saber or an entire Clone Trooper outfit. Also a Big Daddy outfit from Bioshock, so your guy can wear that huge helmet, and a entire ODST Marine outfit from Halo.

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Allforce wrote: »
    They just added a ton of Star Wars stuff this morning. Things like a light saber or an entire Clone Trooper outfit. Also a Big Daddy outfit from Bioshock, so your guy can wear that huge helmet, and a entire ODST Marine outfit from Halo.

The Clone armor tempted me until I saw monkey island stuff.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Allforce wrote: »
    Well...Big Daddy outfit here I come...goodbye ms points.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Update failed. Console bricked. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Gonna try some things before I throw this fucker out the window.

EDIT: Thank Christ, updating with a flash-drive worked.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Echo wrote: »

Go to Achievements in the whateverthehelltheycallthatbutton menu and you can press Y on games with zero gamerscore to remove them from the list.

I kinda wish this worked with any game, because I'd rather not have a game I got like 5 points in on the list. It means if a friend is bringing a game by and it's not one I own, I use a different profile.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I regret playing that Yaris game which has since been delisted. I got 5 achievement points out of it.

SteevL on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Example of the MI stuff on my AV. Getting a picture with the chicken in hand is hard.

Timspork.png

:o

Now, the question isn't, "Can you afford to waste your money on virtual items?" The question is, "Can you afford NOT to?"

stan.gif

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It would also be nice if games you can't trade in weren't retarded expensive.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have to take my 360 to someone elses house to get this, as I don't have the internet at home for the time being. Are the games on demand up yet? I'm tempted to buy Viva Pinata now since I don't have to search for it.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BeefsandwichBeefsandwich Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    meh, i just bought an eyepatch. the only real thing i care about with this update is the smaller hardrive installs and the party reconnecting.

but that guitar looks pretty sweet

Beefsandwich on
    Lord+Mjollnir.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm at work so I can't check, but what other Monkey Island gear is available?

...I'm, er, not going to buy any of it, just curious...

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How is it reducing the data size? Better compression?

Any effect on game performance?

Edit: Thanks Echo.
    360 now ignores the padding files used on the dvd:s (so files are on the outer rim for higher speed), now games are the same size as on the developer-consoles. No effect on perfomance.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does the new update make the XBLA titles take up less space also?

Is it automatic or do you need to reinstall games to do it?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Man. The avatar store feels overpriced. 160 funbucks for a pair of pants? I'd rather spend that on a Rock Band song.

Echo on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does it allow the ability to block some notifications now? Like say I was to block achievment pop ups and friends coming online but I want to see if a new message is recieved.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png