As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with new CPU

Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am,I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
I got my new CPU in today, an Intel Celeron E1500 2.2GHz. I thought it wasn't right when I put it on, shoving the little plastic pins that go through the mobo. There was a little wiggle room after I pressed the pins (and after several attempts at it) between the heat sink and the CPU (aka NO CONTACT).

I need to get it properly seated so I can use my computer! Any ideas on what I can do? I can't seem to find any way to get the crappy plastic out of the fan holes in order to reuse the spring screws from my previous fan.
My computer basically runs for a few minutes, then just turns off, which I assume is from the ZERO heat reduction.
I need help.
Should I just reuse my previous fan and heatsink? The old sink is big and square, the new one is a slimmer circular style (perhaps not contacting properly due to the slimmer profile vs the previous sink).

Update: My mobo is dell factory. So where the pins go in the mobo from the fan/sink, there are screw holes from the previous fan/sink, not just holes where pins can go through. Any ideas?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
Custom Special on

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looks like your previous heatsink came with a mounting bracket, so you would have to remove that, but your new processor's stock heatsink most probably doesn't come with a mounting bracket, and it's designed to work with a standard type of bracket, and not the most surely custom one your Dell mobo has. Your best bet is using the old heatsink, but check for temps it could be not as good as needed for your new processor.

Edit: Then again, try installing your new HS without a bracket, it might just work!

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mmmmmmk. It was suggested to me to download Prime 95 and Realtemp to test the stock fan/sink with the new CPU to make sure it would work.
    Currently that's what I have in the computer and I guess I'll find a new solution if the old sink isn't enough for the new processor. I don't overclock anything, so I'm not too worried about it.

Oh, and the new fan/sink has the black/white push clip style to attach, whereas my Dell crapola has actual screws that go into the board/bracket. I tried to find a way to get the clips out and put the screws on the new fan/sink, but I don't think that'll work.

Custom Special on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dell usually has pretty hardcore heatsinks in their systems. Did you put new thermal grease on it? Did you go from single core to dual core? If you went from single to dual core you could probably find a dual core dell heatsink for your model on ebay for cheap.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I have trouble believing that will fit inside a DELL case.

These are more fitting to your needs:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5921/bra-10/Intel_Pentium_4_Socket_775_Backplate.html?tl=g40c14s222

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8454/bra-30/Scythe_CPU_Cooler_Socket_775_Stabilizer_Kit.html?tl=g40c14s222

I don't know if the first one comes with anything else besides the backplate, so the 2nd link might be what you're actually looking for.

However it might be a little steep. The small cheaper units you can find here can be used, but can't really tell which ones come with extra mounting hardware or not, as they may expect you to have the original mounting bracket instead of the DELL one. This one for example seems to come with everything needed to mount it to your MB.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sats, that second bracket set looks similar to what is on my board. The problem is the new fan has those black push-pins installed in its corners. So everything would be fine if I could get the screws out of my old fan and somehow get them into the new one, but I don't see any way to get the pins out of the new one to swap with the old screws.

I took everything apart today, and it looks like Dell doesn't want that bracket to ever come off, so I have to live with the current fan/sink. On the upside I just applied some new arctic silver to it after some cleaning and after running Prime95 stress tests for about 30 minutes, my peak temp is down 6 Celsius from previous installation (peaked today at 51).
    So for now I think I'll just ride out this fan until I really overhaul with a new board and all.

Custom Special on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's good to hear, also AS takes some time to 'set down' which should give you up to 5 degrees less once it's set. (Takes quite few hours, like a hundred I think)

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I read their instructions online, said to run it hot, then let it cool to room temp a few times before leaving it on for the silvers to get settled or whatever.
    I'm probably going to run Prime95 stresses each night then shut it off overnight to cool.

Custom Special on