As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lost Triple Attack

CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed.TejasRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.fangasm.com/01television/lost/lost-to-return-early.php
A few weeks back we were ahead of the pack with news of Day Break's unceremonious ejection from ABC's broadcast calendar. Well, we're at it again with buzz of mammoth proportions. Apparently, amid fears that the ongoing string of critically challenged replacements will bury ABC's chances of regaining its Wednesday footing, execs at the alphabet network have dropped in on the LOST crew with the following proposition: how much money do you need to get LOST on the air early....
This would be huge news for LOST fans who are still spasming over a dread seven weeks with no new material. For sure the move would generate humongous buzz for the network which is still reeling from what is considered a series of bad mistakes over its once dominate Wednesday night line up.

If it is done, LOST would return January 10th or January 17th, three to four weeks earlier then previously expected. The dependent factor is whether or not the production can be rounded out in time so that the series does not miss a week. The cost for beefing up LOST's post production temporarily seems well worth saving some face with a jaded fan base. Such a move could very well make ABC the most fan-friendly network.
It seems like lost just might be coming back earlier than expected. What an interested proposal...and odd that a broadcast company would do this.

Since I couldn't find the old Lost thread I thought I'd restart it with this little gem.

whu.jpg

I have no idea what is going on in here.

Crayon on

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Weird, I searched back 15 pages of "Lost" and "Lost season 3" and didn't find the page. Oops.

Crayon on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Eh, the old thread hasn't been touched in over a month. This can be the new one.

That link ain't working for me. What's the gist of it?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lost is also moving to the 10 PM time slot, an hour later than before because of American Idol.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Lost is also moving to the 10 PM time slot, an hour later than before because of American Idol.

That's just fucking lame, is what that is.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Crap. I'll need to reset my DVR.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hurm... link is down. What did it say?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Moving it to 10pm is like the foreshadowing of its cancellation.

Yar on
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lost is ABC's #1 show, is it not? Why would they cancel it?

Ninto on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Lord Jezo wrote:

That's just fucking lame, is what that is.

American Idol is such a ratings powerhouse that any show you run against it would be ratings suicide.

I mean hell, freakin' NBC runs American Idol re-runs.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sorry guys and gals was at work. The link basically states that because of the iffy nature of Daybreak and that time slot, ABC is offering to throw money at the show to get it back 5 weeks early.

Crayon on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yar wrote:

Bullshit. It's one of their most popular shows.

I read an article that said they were moving it in order to free up the earlier timeslot that was overshaddowed by Lost - people would watch Lost, but not stick around to watch the following show. They're hoping that by moving it, people will watch whatever's before Lost.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:
    Yar wrote:

I read an article that said they were moving it in order to free up the earlier timeslot that was overshaddowed by Lost - people would watch Lost, but not stick around to watch the following show. They're hoping that by moving it, people will watch whatever's before Lost.

I guess they haven't quite figured out that people can change channels quite easily. Maybe some of these TV execs should sit down and watch some TV once in a while, see what it's like.

Ninto on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Ninto wrote:
    Lost is ABC's #1 show, is it not? Why would they cancel it?
    Haven't you heard? Predicting cancellation for popular and hugely successful shows is the latest craze.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ninto wrote:
    Zsetrek wrote:
    Yar wrote:

I guess they haven't quite figured out that people can change channels quite easily. Maybe some of these TV execs should sit down and watch some TV once in a while, see what it's like.

Yes, but ideally you want to either

a) Hook viewers into watching your network for longer by leading in with a strong, popular show and then following it with a less popular show that you're trying to build.

b) Get viewers tuning in early in anticipation of an awesome show that's on later, and watching whatever less popular shows you're aiming to build up that are on before it.

Problem is, Lost was too complex, and carried too much baggage to be a good lead-in. It's better suited as the tail-end of a programming block.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh sweet, they're going to try to get it out earlier, and therefore rush the newer episodes.

But I mean it's not like we're going to notice anyways, right?

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:
    Problem is, Lost was too complex, and carried too much baggage to be a good lead-in. It's better suited as the tail-end of a programming block.

I agree. Lost is the kind of show you have at the tale end that makes people sit through American Idol to watch. I doubt a lot of people sit around watching whatever crap is on after Lost.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:

I agree. Lost is the kind of show you have at the tale end that makes people sit through American Idol to watch. I doubt a lot of people sit around watching whatever crap is on after Lost.

Honestly, I tune out during commercials and never stick around after Lost...so I have no idea what comes on after it. What I do know is that shitty dancing with the stars was before it considering I had to watch it for a few minutes to make sure I didn't miss the beginning.

I really wish they would carry ABC HD around here though, that pisses me off considering we have Universal HD and a myriad of other channels in the middle of nowhere Texas...but not ABC HD.

Crayon on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They... they canceled Daybreak? :cry:

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drr! That show sucked and everyone knew it before it ever aired. There's no point in watching it until the last episode.

Yar on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh shit, Brian K. Vaughan is now on Lost's writing staff.

Dude's amazing. Now I kinda want to watch the show, just to see his work in there.

You guys are in for a real treat.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yar wrote:
    Drr! That show sucked and everyone knew it before it ever aired. There's no point in watching it until the last episode.

It is much more interesting than the mess that Lost is turning into, and better than the other mystery-driven shows right now like Heroes.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh shit, Brian K. Vaughan is now on Lost's writing staff.

Dude's amazing. Now I kinda want to watch the show, just to see his work in there.

You guys are in for a real treat.

:shock:

Very excite!

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yar wrote:

It is much more interesting than the mess that Lost is turning into, and better than the other mystery-driven shows right now like Heroes.

You take that back you whore. Heroes is quite possibly one of the best prime-time dramas that has ever been produced.

Crayon on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    Yar wrote:

You take that back you whore. Heroes is quite possibly one of the best prime-time dramas that has ever been produced.

All about context, innit?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RobRob Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Anyone think there's any merit to the Lost/Heroes connection I keep hearing about?

Hopefully Lost comes back early. But wouldn't that mean we'd end up getting a break some time down the road, so it can end on time during sweeps?

Rob on
    alchemy.gif
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rob wrote:
    Anyone think there's any merit to the Lost/Heroes connection I keep hearing about?

You mean Lost/Alias?

Cause otherwise they are on different networks, so no.

yakul on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Every time Kate fucks up a situation, another Hero discovers their powers.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    2and2is52and2is5 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Michael and Walt are going to return on the boat with the cast of Heroes.

I can see it now.

2and2is5 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    Yar wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I watch it, and enjoy it, but it has a lot of weaknesses - some poor actors in important roles, questionable special effects that really jolt you if you notice them, and a general feeling of being pretty contrived. My personal beef is that the whole destiny shtick is a crutch for poor writing. It's a good show, and it's got some ambition, but it's definitely not "one of the best prime-time dramas" in my mind.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    Yar wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I watch it, and enjoy it, but it has a lot of weaknesses - some poor actors in important roles, questionable special effects that really jolt you if you notice them, and a general feeling of being pretty contrived. My personal beef is that the whole destiny shtick is a crutch for poor writing. It's a good show, and it's got some ambition, but it's definitely not "one of the best prime-time dramas" in my mind.

It's entertaining, which is all I want from a TV show, really. There is enough drama and mystery in my own life, thank you.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    Crayon wrote:
    Yar wrote:

It's entertaining, which is all I want from a TV show, really. There is enough drama and mystery in my own life, thank you.

Plebeian.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SeriphusSeriphus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I thought all good Americans PRIDED themselves on being Plebeian?.

Plebeian n. Roman citizen that did not belong to the privleged class of the Patricians.

:)

Seriphus on
    It had hitherto been the peculiar felicity to the Romans, and in the worst of times their consolation, that the virtue of the emperors was active and their vice indolent.

Gibbon.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Seriphus wrote:

Plebeian n. Roman citizen that did not belong to the privleged class of the Patricians.

Man

I don't even know if ege lives in America. I know I don't.

You can root around in your grimy peasant fields for your food if you want, but I'll attend my orgies and use lesser men for stools, thank you very much.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seriphus wrote:

Why would you pride yourself on being poor?

I mean...you could, but I've never been under the assumption that Americans in general do it.

Edit: Unless your bolding of "privileged" is intended to refer to the plebs as hardened, determined workers, in which case, you have a drastically different perception of the US than I do. ;)

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Can this be our new lost thread?

I think tonights episode was possibly the best of the current season. It just seems like it really came together. I don't know about the rest of you, but that episode seemed like a total BKV episode. It looked like he had his hands all over the writing and I think I enjoyed it more knowing that he's working on the series.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It entertained me, but I was disappointed that it still managed to not go anywhere.

It was nice, well done character development, so it would have been the perfect episode to be thrown in amongst episodes of plot progression...but, unfortunately, it was just thrown in amongst episodes of less well done character development.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah.

I really didn't miss the fact that it had nothing to do with the mysteries. Like you said, it came together really well.

It was just a really nice episode. You know? Which is a relief, after a spate of pretty average ones.

Oh, and next episode:
    PATCHY! FINALLY!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really liked the episode. I'm glad they finally focused on some characters who weren't name Jack, Kate, or Sawyer, and anyway, the episode was just really well put together. Not much plot progression, but they did do enough to set up next episode (which most certainly looks like it will forward the plot).

Also:
    Did anyone else laugh when Tricia Tanaka died? It was obvious that she was going to die once she went in the restaurant, and while I was trying to think of ways she could plausibly die A METEOR FELL FROM THE SKY. Honestly I'm not sure it could have been any more over the top. Which is why it was awesome and hilarious.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    agreed gnasty. it was perfect.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.