As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tekken 6- Tekken 7? Check page 31.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The difference between low and high tier in br is the closest any tekken has come to "no perceivable difference".

Most of the tier differences only pop up at really high level play, and they're still not as big a factor as the players basic game fundamentals as far as i'm concerned.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which you'd think would be a huge plus, but since at a certain level Tekken has degenerated into waiting for a minor mistake and then launching for half a bar (with the reduced damage in T6 it's more like a quarter or a third of a bar), it's not as important which character you're doing that with until it comes down to who gets 35% vs who gets 40% and who's launcher is -14 on block vs who's launcher is -12. It's the biggest complaint most level at the series, and also what's turned me off it since T3.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Which you'd think would be a huge plus, but since at a certain level Tekken has degenerated into waiting for a minor mistake and then launching for half a bar (with the reduced damage in T6 it's more like a quarter or a third of a bar), it's not as important which character you're doing that with until it comes down to who gets 35% vs who gets 40% and who's launcher is -14 on block vs who's launcher is -12. It's the biggest complaint most level at the series, and also what's turned me off it since T3.

True. That is pretty much my matches with friends degrade into(trying to get a launch that is).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The difference between low and high tier in br is the closest any tekken has come to "no perceivable difference".

Most of the tier differences only pop up at really high level play, and they're still not as big a factor as the players basic game fundamentals as far as i'm concerned.

Zafina is pretty bad though.

When I was starting out I was duking it out with this steve. He goes for launcher, I block, I go for launcher, he blocks. We would go back and forth like this all day. :lol:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this is terrible to see when it happens

sometimes really unsafe things become safe because everybody forgets about any punisher that isnt a launcher

if all you do, ever, is try to launch, the people here in sydney will smash you into putty. i know this because i see it happen. you need to know how to punish properly, even little shit like knowing you can only do while rising 4 on a certain low instead of the launch. its damage and huge + frames.
    almost all launchers are either unsafe or linear and many (most?) characters have fantastic punishers that do nice chunks. someone who only ever goes for launches will lose against someone who baits them with constant safe moves and spacing then punishes the launchers

it's pretty ridiculous to claim it's all launchers

@antihippy: haha that reminds me, I played a king and we had this little stand off where we went back and forth twice blocking and trying to punish things we thought were unsafe but then i ended it with a misttrap (lee's unblockable kick -> justframe throw)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Given the history of the series as a playstation title, I'm not sure if I want to pick this up for the 360. I'm wondering how large the user base will be.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i read a site that said something like 20% of the preorders are from xbox. you guys have a better online environment tho don't you?

if unsure i'd recommend waiting for reviews that give details on how the xbox's online fares vs ps3

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hasn't every "playstation" game that's gone over to the 360 sold well so far?

I don't think it's a particularly valid concern tbh.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    this is terrible to see when it happens

sometimes really unsafe things become safe because everybody forgets about any punisher that isnt a launcher

if all you do, ever, is try to launch, the people here in sydney will smash you into putty. i know this because i see it happen. you need to know how to punish properly, even little shit like knowing you can only do while rising 4 on a certain low instead of the launch. its damage and huge + frames.
    almost all launchers are either unsafe or linear and many (most?) characters have fantastic punishers that do nice chunks. someone who only ever goes for launches will lose against someone who baits them with constant safe moves and spacing then punishes the launchers

it's pretty ridiculous to claim it's all launchers

Well, I'm a little better now. :lol:

Still terrible. :(
    Given the history of the series as a playstation title, I'm not sure if I want to pick this up for the 360. I'm wondering how large the user base will be.

For this generation, I really don't think that you need to worry.

Just go with the controller you're most comfortable it. Or use a stick and don't worry about controllers. :P

I'd say that PS3 might have more seeing that tekken has always been kinda playstation-centric, but probably not.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    im not that good either man dont worry about it

i only know this stuff because we have amazing people in our local scene and i watch their games

ive got a list of things i want to learn to read the mixup for, block and correctly punish when the game comes out as long as my arm :D

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've gotta say though, I'm looking forward to practice mode so I don't just get steamrolled.

I'm hoping that this will have good online, but considering namco's track record I guess probaly not.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I have almost no experience with actually playing a fighting game beyond the "just stopped button mashing"-level, but with the decent online capabilities of the PS3 I plan to get some practice down.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Asus697Asus697 Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Yea for me Tekken is the best fighting series there is hands down. It just clicks for me like no other game in genre has (closest is prob Rival Schools or the SF:Ex series). Tekken 1 was the reason I bought a playstation.

Well m glad I'm not the only one. The story is actually pretty good for a fighting series and never fails to provide some entertainment.

Asus697 on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Asus697 wrote: »
    Yea for me Tekken is the best fighting series there is hands down. It just clicks for me like no other game in genre has (closest is prob Rival Schools or the SF:Ex series). Tekken 1 was the reason I bought a playstation.

Well m glad I'm not the only one. The story is actually pretty good for a fighting series and never fails to provide some entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuUWK628trQ

chamberlain on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Real men play Panda

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Real men play mokujin

Antihippy on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tekken is by far my favorite fighter, I'll be buying this for 360. I saw this game in my local arcade over the summer, I had no idea the game even existed before seeing it. It was $2 for a five round fight, but I fell in love instantly.

Real men actually play Xiayou.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Youtube videos on this site when I am at work are painful. I wanna SEEEEEEEEE

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Artoria on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »

I was expecting them to be the same and was pleasantly surprised.

And Julia's the best, for those keeping score.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    penny arcade

markman (sdtekken)

and castel (tekkenzaibatsu)

are all apparently mentioned in the games thankyou credits

i just thought that was interesting and really neat

markman uploaded some screens from the game

some of them are a bit spoilery but nothing major really

http://sdtekken.com/2009/10/14/tekken-6-sdtekken-screen-gallery-part-1/

http://sdtekken.com/2009/10/14/tekken-6-sdtekken-screen-gallery-part-2/

the art looks delicious

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yea the Devil Jin line art from that gallery got cropped and blown up for my new desktop background.

So how many people are gonna be confused with the notations for Tekken since the numpad notation has caught on for alot of the fighting games?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    People were confused about numpad notation for awhile too.

Really though, numpad seems to me to be more prevalent in the guilty gear/blazblue/arcsys circle. Most other fighters use word notations instead.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well I think the SF community picked up numpad notation too, and most of the new tekken blood may have made the progression from SF4>Blazblue>Tekken6.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tekken doesn't use the numpad notation because the buttons are denoted by numbers.

1: LP
    2: RP
    3: LK
    4: RK

So the uppercut attack would be d/f+2, not 3+RP or 3+2 (confusing)

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Right I assume new players who are coming from the fighting game renaissance 2009 has brought could be confused at first because of this.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Totally agree. But traditional fighting games are strange and esoteric as a whole, I think.

Regardless, Tekken has always been successful partially because of how satisfying it is to play the game at a low level. Scoring a single clean hit in Tekken is more fun than in other games, I think :)

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The down side of low level Tekken play is until you are familar with it Oki is generally looked at as cheap and I suspect I will be getting some unsporting live ratings because of it, but w/e learn the system imo.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The down side of low level Tekken play is until you are familar with it Oki is generally looked at as cheap and I suspect I will be getting some unsporting live ratings because of it, but w/e learn the system imo.

It's live. You're going to get bad ratings no matter what.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I some how have like 94% positive ratings, despite playing halo and fighting games online.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I some how have like 94% positive ratings, despite playing halo and fighting games online.

...That's not possible!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I'm terrible? lol. Sf4 I think I played like 1500 online matches tho, and I use KEN(well after I used Abel and El F)...

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Giant Bomb has a video of them playing Tekken 6. It really makes me wish that there was going to be a PC version. I want to play this game, but I do not want to buy a console.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The in game help menus use colored dots aligned like the playstation face buttons and I'd imagine they'd do the same for xbox. The 1234 is for fighting game forums, not individual moves.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Giant Bomb has a video of them playing Tekken 6. It really makes me wish that there was going to be a PC version. I want to play this game, but I do not want to buy a console.

Nothing makes a fighting game look as attractive as watching a pair of dorks while they hit random buttons and talk about nothing for half an hour.

ew

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FERs-l0eWPk&feature=player_embedded

Epic music is epic. O_O

Something I've been treated to for a while I realised you guys probably don't know: the music in tekken 6 is phenomenal. Better than tekken 3 imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egnQkFi-uQ Preview of most of the songs. There are some full releases up on youtube.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm heres a pic of a character some one found at TZ, it's of the boss Azazal...
    2lx8cqx.jpg

I guess he is gonna be playable in some form, likely offline only like Jinpachi was.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The name in the image says Azazel. It's some weird big monster.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm so I guess this is a pic of a character some one found at TZ, I can't see it but assume it's a boss or something...
    2lx8cqx.jpg
    since people said so long as he isn't playable online over at gaf. Since I can't see it I'm just gonna go ahead and assume it's Ogre(yes please) unless someone wants to clue me in.

Also I will edit this post to be more informative once I get home from work and can you know see the pic :)

Or is it boring and just Azazal?

considering that it says Azazal under the lifebar yes. it is him.

Artoria on