As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OH shit PSP in the washer

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
so yeah i left my psp on top of my girl friend's purse in the laundry bin. it must have rolled off, because my girlfriend tossed it in and washed the fucker. it was in for like 3 minutes until i came up and heard it rattling around. i salvaged it, and took out the battery. i left it by the window to dry. the screen is still wet. i put the battery in to see if would go on, to no avail.
so, uh, what can i do? it's out of warranty for sure, it was the silver one with daxter and 2GB stick
it had GTA vice city stories in it, but that should be fine...

Local H Jay on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should have not tried to turn it on untill several days had passed.
    Your best bet is top open it up and just let it sit and dry 100%.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    take everything out of it, leave the battery case and the memory stick slot and umd drive open and let it dry for a while (like even a couple days, to be safe). maybe put it on some paper towel or something to try and soak up more water.

putting the battery in so soon might have been a bad idea...

in any case, once it's dry you should try it with a fresh battery.

I don't know if this is even applicable, but I had a USB stick go through the washing machine twice and the dryer once on seperate occasions and it still works perfectly fine, so you may be alright once it's dried out.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Put it in rice or something, right?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, placing a piece of electronics that is in danger of water damage in a sealed bag of rice and placing it in the sun is very good practice. Turning it on is bad practice.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    odds are since you turned it on, some of the circuitry got fried.

Awk on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When my GBA got wet, the guy on tech support told me to let it dry for a good solid week before turning it on, just to be sure. It's not exactly the same, but if I were you I would probably let it sit that long, just to be sure.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had a Razr (it was spelled that way, right?) cell phone get washed and dried, turned on directly after, then allowed to dry out for a week.

I continued using for a good year after that.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    I had a Razr (it was spelled that way, right?) cell phone get washed and dried, turned on directly after, then allowed to dry out for a week.

I had a RAZR and did the same thing,,,, exept mine turned on once for a sec and then smoke started comming out and died.... so YMMV....

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Nerdtendo wrote: »

I had a RAZR and did the same thing,,,, exept mine turned on once for a sec and then smoke started comming out and died.... so YMMV....

Same here. It would make the turning on sound periodically, but I never got it to actually function ever again.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Put it in rice or something, right?
    I would also like to add that you should put it in an OPEN BOWL of rice. not a closed bag of rice

my mom did that on a friends suggestion and she actually cooked the rice from the heat and steam... guess what happened ot the phone

hahaha

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    just to follow up, the PSP still works! the screen has some noticeable damage, and the door flap now does not close correctly, but it works just fine
    the rice trick worked, thanks guys

Local H Jay on