As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fast Reply?

TezkahTezkah Registered User regular
Its a nice li'l feature that the evil lot at TTB have implemented, and I like it a lot. Pretty much just lets you hide/show a dialog box at the end of a thread where you can enter your reply without clicking on the "Post Reply" button.

Please, for the children. :cry:

Tezkah on

• Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    You and your TTB shit. Suck a cock and die, fuckmonkey.

Also, that sounds like a bit more work than the option really warrants.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    bone daddy wrote:
    You and your TTB shit. Suck a cock and die, fuckmonkey.

Also, that sounds like a bit more work than the option really warrants.

Codeing it would actually be fairly simple.

Copy the form from posting.php into a div at the end of viewtopic.php
    hide the div by default
    add a button that just has a javascript to show and hide the div.

But I agree it's probably not worth the work

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    TTB smells like poop

150cc on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    What? You flame me because I mention that they have it over at TTB? That's pretty low, I dont even post there. :x

Tezkah on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    You are so behind forum times. I'm flaming you because I've imbibed more than I could get away with behind the wheel. And because of your TTB pollution.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    ttb smells like freedom.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Freedom is anti-American. Wanting freedom from scrutiny is like giving money to bin Laden.

Long live the Reich!

I love you guys.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    AnatoleAnatole Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    we're trendsetters, baby

Anatole on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Anatole wrote:
    we're trendsetters, baby

You're so far behind the times, you think I live in gwandanaland

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    FerryFerry Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Fuck Nazi Sympathy.

Ferry on
    ferrysigrn4.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    TTB sucks, people who come over here to shill TTB suck more

150cc on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    fuck that ttb shit. it's been 4 days and I still haven't recieved my confirmation email, so until i do, fuck ttb.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Personally the quick reply feature bugs me. I enjoy the full reply window. I doubt ramius will implement it, not because I dont like it, but because he has no real reason.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    switchstanceswitchstance Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Starfuck wrote:
    fuck that ttb shit. it's been 4 days and I still haven't recieved my confirmation email, so until i do, fuck ttb.

switchstance on
    test1.jpg
  • Options
    endriteendrite Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Fast Reply sucks my dick when I post.

endrite on
    Watch out for laser robot washing machines!

Captain of Shippy Ship the Awesome.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    endrite wrote:
    Fast Reply sucks my dick when I post.

In that case, it sounds like a beneficial feature. Assuming it sucks all our dicks. And doesn't give us some sort of infection.

The reply page can take long enough to load by itself though, so having to wait for all those smilies and BBCode shortcuts to sort themselves out every time I wanted to view some thread would be a pain in the ass. So no, as convenient as it sounds. No.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    The one at TTB doesn't have all the smiles and BBcode shortcuts on fast reply.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    The one at TTB doesn't have all the smiles and BBcode shortcuts on fast reply.

Thems are some smart dudes. Is there some sort of lock out on TTB at the moment? They wont send my confirmation email. Put a good word in for me Orthanc.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    They just switched to new software, so they may be having problems.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2004
    i like fast reply when the box is below all the posts automatically. having to actually click soemthing to get the fast reply box doesn't really make it all that faster.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    i like fast reply when the box is below all the posts automatically. having to actually click soemthing to get the fast reply box doesn't really make it all that faster.

They have something like that over on the DayFree Press forums, which I believe are the same type of forums as we have here.

Evander on
  • Options
    PiP=FPiP=F Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    You can turn it automatically on in your profile, susie.

PiP=F on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited February 2004
    ##############################################################
    ## MOD Title: Quick Reply with Quote
    ## MOD Author: Smartor < smartor_xp@hotmail.com > (Hoang Ngoc Tu) http://smartor.is-root.com
    ## MOD Description: This will add a quick-reply form below every topics
    ## It will only display when user has the Reply access
    ## User have a option to quote the last message
    ## MOD Version: 1.1.3
    ##
    ## Installation Level: easy
    ## Installation Time: 5 Minutes
    ## Files To Edit: 3

So yeah, I'm aware of how to do it for phpBB, it is easy to do, and I've never found a compelling argument for implementing it.

HOWEVER, I've recently had the thought that having quick-reply would actually cut down on pageloads because there wouldn't be the topic-review and all that loading for every reply.

So now it is sort of an on-the-fence issue but still not likely to get put in any time soon just because it doesn't interest me. When I work on the forums, I like for it to be something that interests me. My personal pleasure in the coding or the result of the coding is my only reward, after all.

Ramius on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    After becoming a deputy and now a temp mod lite, I think a button to go to the next thread would be very helpful. Its a pain in the ass to go back to the forum to click on the next thread when you're just perusing the threads to make sure everything is goatse-free.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    After becoming a deputy and now a temp mod lite, I think a button to go to the next thread would be very helpful. Its a pain in the ass to go back to the forum to click on the next thread when you're just perusing the threads to make sure everything is goatse-free.
    You're such a hawk. Just can't wait to jail someone with your own hands, huh? Rookie.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Paladin wrote:
    You're such a hawk. Just can't wait to jail someone with your own hands, huh? Rookie.
    I suppose. Jailing people is fun though...they can still PM you and bitch about it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2004

Um Raijin, look at the top of this page, right below the "post reply" button

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    I've only been here like 7 months....you can't expect me to notice everything.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    That's almost as bad as Wayne not knowing about the who's online page.

Please at least tell me you've noticed the "moderate this forum" link?

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    That's almost as bad as Wayne not knowing about the who's online page.

Please at least tell me you've noticed the "moderate this forum" link?
    Yes I have

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    I miss the admin panel, most of all.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Evander wrote:
    And I'll miss you most of allll

my darrrrlinnggggg

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Ramius wrote:

So yeah, I'm aware of how to do it for phpBB, it is easy to do, and I've never found a compelling argument for implementing it.

HOWEVER, I've recently had the thought that having quick-reply would actually cut down on pageloads because there wouldn't be the topic-review and all that loading for every reply.

So now it is sort of an on-the-fence issue but still not likely to get put in any time soon just because it doesn't interest me. When I work on the forums, I like for it to be something that interests me. My personal pleasure in the coding or the result of the coding is my only reward, after all.

5 minutes, and you get the result of the coding as your reward, and... KUDOS! Kudos, I say.

Tezkah on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Tezkah wrote:
    Ramius wrote:

5 minutes, and you get the result of the coding as your reward, and... KUDOS! Kudos, I say.
    I remember when Kudos was a candy bar.

Paladin on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Evander wrote:

pfft, I've got the whole admin panel, not just those puny mod options

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Paladin wrote:
    Tezkah wrote:
    Ramius wrote:

I remember when Kudos was a candy bar.

I have a box of those. They are too small.

Steven on
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Steven wrote:

For us fat Americans... they definitely are too small.

150cc on
  • Options
    StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    150cc wrote:
    Steven wrote:

For us fat Americans... they definitely are too small.

But I'm not-

shit.

Steven on