As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Google Calendar for PAX 2009

DMmagicDMmagic PAX East EnforcerSpringfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Chelseabot began this and I took it to its logical conclusion :) We now have full calendars of PAX 2009 events both official and unofficial.

Official events calendar

Unofficial events calendar

Want to learn more about the calendars and/or what you can do with them? Check out my blog post announcing them with a few suggestions, instructions, and screenshots.

DMmagic on

• Options
    ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hell yeah! Those of us with an Android really appreciate this. ;)

Valander on
    D.
  • Options
    DunckTheFunkDunckTheFunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This will help very much so. Thank you.

DunckTheFunk on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    GFW-1.jpg
    GFW Radio. The Brodeo. Live at PAX '09. Come for the WahJah. Leave with a shame cape.
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    not to be a bitch. but the time she has set is texas time... and we are pacific motherfucka....so i was like "WHAT BONUS ROUND 8 AM!!!????" then realized that, nooooo, not really

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    not to be a bitch. but the time she has set is texas time... and we are pacific motherfucka....so i was like "WHAT BONUS ROUND 8 AM!!!????" then realized that, nooooo, not really

Ohhh, I was wondering why everything was so early, hahaha!

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been trying to get the PA folks to use http://sched.org/ for a while now. Bug them for me.

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure what's up with the timezone stuff. They're both definitely set to Pacific Time, yet they're displaying in our local time zones regardless. If you set your own time zone in there (or maybe set your time zone to be CST >.>) it works.
    timezone.png

DMmagic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to go through today and push everything back 2 hours so it lines up properly to Seattle time. I just changed my own time in GCal and I'll fix the calendars later today :-)

DMmagic on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only noob who is having trouble adding these calendars? Maybe my google calendar is just having problems at the moment or something... I can't seem to add either of them via URL. ????

And also, you guys are AWESOME, this is so helpful!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, by pushing everything back 2 hours, its now 2 hours early for me out here on the West Coast. So the first event starts at 8am, not 10am :P

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rather than pushing the times around, try going to the Settings for that calendar and enabling display of multiple time zones. That may fix it.

Valander on
    D.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    chibidani wrote: »
    So, by pushing everything back 2 hours, its now 2 hours early for me out here on the West Coast. So the first event starts at 8am, not 10am :P

I haven't started changing things yet, which is why it looks that way :-P Once I finish, everything will display correctly... I think >.>
    Valander wrote: »
    Rather than pushing the times around, try going to the Settings for that calendar and enabling display of multiple time zones. That may fix it.

I think all that does is let me select time zones different than the ones normally available. Without that box checked, I can only set USA time zones. With it checked, it's international.
    Am I the only noob who is having trouble adding these calendars? Maybe my google calendar is just having problems at the moment or something... I can't seem to add either of them via URL. ????

And also, you guys are AWESOME, this is so helpful!

@tehnakki Has also reported that she's having the same problem. Are you getting any sort of error message?

DMmagic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    After much dragging and dropping, the calendars have been updated. Note that you will need to have your time zone set to (GMT -08:00) Pacific Time to see things at the time they actually are. Otherwise, you will see what time they will be happening for your local time zone.

My plan is to just update my GCal time zone on the way there, same as I would a watch.

DMmagic on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DMmagic wrote: »
    After much dragging and dropping, the calendars have been updated. Note that you will need to have your time zone set to (GMT -08:00) Pacific Time to see things at the time they actually are. Otherwise, you will see what time they will be happening for your local time zone.

My plan is to just update my GCal time zone on the way there, same as I would a watch.

It works! <3 thanks!

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    TeknotronicTeknotronic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't seem to be able to get this to work with WinMo - Activesync.

GoogleSync only pulls down your Personal calendar, when adding these they add as "secondary calendars" which per google's FAQ are not supported by GoogleSync. So in order to get the events to show up on my phones calendar I have to go through each event on the PAX calendars and "move to my calendar" so they show up on the "personal" calendar.

Anyone know of an easier way?

Teknotronic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't seem to be able to get this to work with WinMo - Activesync.

GoogleSync only pulls down your Personal calendar, when adding these they add as "secondary calendars" which per google's FAQ are not supported by GoogleSync. So in order to get the events to show up on my phones calendar I have to go through each event on the PAX calendars and "move to my calendar" so they show up on the "personal" calendar.

Anyone know of an easier way?

Nope, that's exactly correct. I mention the same thing on my site, and that's how I intend to do it myself.

TBH though, I don't think having the entire calendar would be that helpful. I'll pick out what panels I want to attend and add those to my calendar. I'll go through and select my Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament events and copy those over.

Now that I think about it, you might be able to export those calendars as iCal or CSV and import them into Outlook to sync with WinMobile... the export functions are in the calendar settings. Haven't tried it myself, but you might give it a go.

DMmagic on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awesome, this is so cool!

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

Hah, well done! Apparently none of us knew it was there though :? 69 posts into a thread I hadn't even opened before...

DMmagic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

That post was buried man... Plus DMmagic's has more content in it.

Teknotronic on
  • Options
    muttonheadmuttonhead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was having problems adding by url, but clicking the +GoogleCalendar icon in the lower right corner worked for me. Might help anyone having troubles importing them tot ehir own gcals.

muttonhead on
    @muttonhead104|!Hufflepuff|Team !Bulbasaur!
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Hah, well done! Apparently none of us knew it was there though :? 69 posts into a thread I hadn't even opened before...

's cool, just pointing it out.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Great minds think alike right? ;-) Kudo's to the both of you.

I did make a combined .ics file if anyone wants it. It has all the events listed by DMmagic and jonxp (no duplicates though!) Import that into googlecalendar and it places all the events into your personal calendar, so it can sync with activesync/googlesync for us winmo peeps.

Teknotronic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've got the calendar updated with the changes to the Magical Mystery Tour schedule.

Are there any other events that need added? And if anyone wants to contribute, just PM me your GMail address and I'll be happy to add you :-)

DMmagic on
  • Options
    KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I've decided to get off my ass and start working on inputting the events for PAX Prime 2009 into my schedule generating program, PAX Scheduler

Basically how it works is you check off the events you'd like to go to, and the program generates you a custom schedule. In addition, it will tell you if you selected two events that overlap, so you don't double-book yourself.

So far, only Friday's events are added. Saturday and Sunday will be finished this week. Let me know if you find any errors or bugs. Thanks!

(PS: If you would like to volunteer to help me pretty it up and you know HTML/CSS, shoot me a PM!)

Kyouteki on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Sorry to merge this into here, but we're not doing a separate thread for the PAX Schedule, the google calendar and this PAX Scheduler.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Just a note that the calendars are up to date and accurate (to the best of my knowledge) for the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament, Magical Mystery Tour, and PAX itself. I looked over them early today and am pretty sure I've got all the latest modifications to the MMT on there.

I've got my events copied to my personal calendar, synced to my iPhone, and I fly out in 5 days ^_^

DMmagic on
  • Options
    firewallenderfirewallender Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Chelseabot began this and I took it to its logical conclusion :) We now have full calendars of PAX 2009 events both official and unofficial.

Official events calendar

Unofficial events calendar

Want to learn more about the calendars and/or what you can do with them? Check out my blog post announcing them with a few suggestions, instructions, and screenshots.
    EPIC.EPIC.EPIC.WIN.WIN.WIN.

(Thank you!)

firewallender on
    Firewallender.com | @firewallender on Twitter

I SURVIVED THE PAX 2009 CON-SARS BREAKOUT!
This discussion has been closed.