As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Linux] Thread - Turn your three yard elf into a powerhouse!

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I finally got my alpha invite for Jolicloud last week, and I am really enjoying it. I realize that all it really does is install dedicated firefox mini apps, but it's still kind of cool. Everything on my netbook works great, except for the sleep mode, which is to be expected.

Anyone else been able to use Jolicloud? What did you think?

Install Newsmap, now! <3

That is kind of cool. What is also cool is knowing how to install more than the featured apps.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ? There are different tabs, right? Like next to the Featured one... And you can always sort them by "last added" instead of "most popular". ;-)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's a good distro to try if I want a good default configuration of KDE and a nice, big repository?

edit: I just realized that I finally have enough memory to try new distros in VirtualBox, and a connection that can download them in a half hour.

MKR on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hm. Opensuse?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is yum (assuming since it's RPM based) any harder to use than apt?

MKR on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Is yum (assuming since it's RPM based) any harder to use than apt?

Not at all, they almost share most of the commands

OpenSUSE uses zypper though, which is also very similar (and has a very good graphical client)

yum install blah; zypper install blah; apt-get install blah

yum remove blah; zypper remove blah; apt-get purge blah,etc

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not really? But the software selection was a lot smaller than Ubuntu's last time I checked. Not that that's saying much; everything has a smaller package selection than Ubuntu.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Debian has more.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Does it? I thought it didn't include a lot of non-free stuff which Ubuntu has.

Edit: Oh, non-free. I haven't used Debian in ages. Last time I used there were still issues with including some software, and I seem to remember having to get stuff like Flash and Opera on my own.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, they're pretty rabid about that, but I'm pretty sure the packages exist, you just have to jump through some hoops.

Anyway, I'm still fairly certain that Debian has the largest repository of everything. Plus it's pretty impressive when you buy a set of DVDs with the entire respository on there, which they can do because of their philosophy. I seem to remember getting a 7 DVD set a while back.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Flash comes in a nice package that'll set everything up for you.

MKR on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For window managers, I'm still quite partial to...

Fluxbox:
    Fluxbox-%5B2%5D.jpg

Windowmaker:
    300gl.jpg

and finally Enlightenment DR16:
    e16-puppy.jpg

logic7 on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So.. I haven't booted into windows in over a week now. If it wasn't for owning a zune i could can that partition and be 100% linux. Other than that.. it's rocking pretty nice with ubuntu + mac4lin making it pretty :)

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Favorites for a 64-bit KDE distro?

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Weretaco wrote: »
    So.. I haven't booted into windows in over a week now. If it wasn't for owning a zune i could can that partition and be 100% linux. Other than that.. it's rocking pretty nice with ubuntu + mac4lin making it pretty :)

VirtualBox it.

MKR on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

VirtualBox it.
    The free version doesn't support USB devices via pass-through, at least as of the last time I used it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

VirtualBox it.
    The free version doesn't support USB devices via pass-through, at least as of the last time I used it.

The one I'm using over here on XP does.

The latest version also supports accelerated 3D.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    logic7 wrote: »

Fluxbox:
    Fluxbox-%5B2%5D.jpg

Windowmaker:
    300gl.jpg

e16-puppy.jpg

Why would you use flux over Openbox? I was a pretty hardcore flux fan until somebody told me that Openbox IS fluxbox, just updated. And I totally see it.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    logic7 wrote: »

Fluxbox:
    Fluxbox-%5B2%5D.jpg

Windowmaker:
    300gl.jpg

e16-puppy.jpg

Why would you use flux over Openbox? I was a pretty hardcore flux fan until somebody told me that Openbox IS fluxbox, just updated. And I totally see it.

If I had my way I'd probably still be using Blackbox with bbconf. In fact... I think I still have an old Mandrake 9.2 virtual machine with that combo.

I haven't used Openbox. It took me forever to stop using Blackbox and switch to Flux, so it'll prolly be a bit before I switch to Openbox (if ever)

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

VirtualBox it.

The latest version also supports accelerated 3D.

Thinkin about it. Only issue I've heard of is USB works, but only 1.1 and not 2. has that changed?

Weretaco on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

VirtualBox it.

The open source one doesn't. The other edition does.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

VirtualBox it.

The open source one doesn't.

Can always just rock the binary one though right? Or is that one pay only?

Weretaco on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

VirtualBox it.

Free for personal use. If you were to install VirtualBox from Ubuntu instead of downloading it from VirtualBox's site you'd get the OSE version instead, though.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

VirtualBox it.

Free for personal use. If you were to install VirtualBox from Ubuntu instead of downloading it from VirtualBox's site you'd get the OSE version instead, though.

Looks like something to try tonight. Thanks!

Weretaco on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Does it? I thought it didn't include a lot of non-free stuff which Ubuntu has.

Edit: Oh, non-free. I haven't used Debian in ages. Last time I used there were still issues with including some software, and I seem to remember having to get stuff like Flash and Opera on my own.

For what it's worth Opera software maintain their own repository:

http://deb.opera.com/

It beats waiting for releases to make it into the Ubuntu repository.

japan on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, how does VirtualBox work, though? I only use Windows because it has better support for my webcam and headset, if I ran Windows on VirtualBox would my webcam/headset work as if I was running Windows or will it use the Linux drivers instead?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You don't need XML to customize it. That's why I stick with Flux over Open.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, how does VirtualBox work, though? I only use Windows because it has better support for my webcam and headset, if I ran Windows on VirtualBox would my webcam/headset work as if I was running Windows or will it use the Linux drivers instead?

Generally, the guest operating system is limited to the drivers used by the host operating system.

For example, if I get awful 3D acceleration in Linux but great acceleration in Windows, running Windows in VirtualBox in Linux won't get better acceleration than I have in Linux.

So yeah. It'll use the Linux drivers.

Edit:
    WAS fluxbox. Several years ago. It was pretty much completely rewritten for Openbox 3.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    saggio wrote: »

You don't need XML to customize it.

I don't see a problem with that.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok, so, I seem to have a problem.

I have an ASUS Eeepc 1000 model, which has a 40 gig SSD. It is partitioned into an 8 gig partition, which holds the Ubuntu Netbook Remix OS, and the 30 gig partition is my /home mount point. I just got Jolicloud to try out, and want to dual book.

What I did was shrink the 8 gig partition down, and made a new partition on there to hold Jolicloud. I still want the /home mount to be the 30 gig partition, as it already has all my data on it. However, when I try to select it as the /home, it wants to format the partition. Is there a way to make it not do this?

Ideally I would have the choice of booting into UNR or Jolicloud at boot, with both /home mounts pointing to my 30 gig partition.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Need some help getting my wi-fi card to work with the newest version of Ubuntu(desktop). HELP!
    from other thread.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Basically, what I had to do (I'm sure you've heard this, but I'll repeat it anyway) was restart the OS with a lan line plugged in. Then, after it's restarted and connected to the internet via lan line, go to system > admin > hardware drivers. It automatically searches for hardware drivers on the internet, though I don't know how well it works. Worked for me pretty well, though.

Another option is to use Synaptic and search for "fwcutter". I'm assuming you've got a broadcom chipset.

Edit: If you go the "hardware drivers" route, don't be tempted by any proprietary graphics drivers. They always fuck up my installs in Ubuntu.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Edit: If you go the "hardware drivers" route, don't be tempted by any proprietary graphics drivers. They always fuck up my installs in Ubuntu.

There's one reason why I never used Ubuntu more than once. Not having graphic drivers made it very had to be a support for Wine and to play UT2k4

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it's weird. Crunchbang works just fine with them.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I use Ubuntu with the Catalyst drivers from AMD's site. Works fine with my HD 3300.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I had horrible trouble a few years ago with the old Ati fglrx drivers, but the NVidia drivers have always been fine. Are the Linux Ati drivers any good now? I'm on the lookout for a graphics card for WINE gaming, and I had discounted Ati completely on past experience. Should I be looking at them too?

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Ummmm, we'll need a bit more to go on than that......

What type of card do you have, and what have you tried so far?

this is what shot of out terminal.
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 11)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 11)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420] (rev a3)
    02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
    02:00.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 0a)
    02:01.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    02:01.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    02:01.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
    02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)
    02:0c.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 11)
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 11)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420] (rev a3)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:00.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 0a)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:01.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:01.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:01.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:0c.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Ummmm, we'll need a bit more to go on than that......

What type of card do you have, and what have you tried so far?

this is what shot of out terminal.
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 11)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 11)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420] (rev a3)
    02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
    02:00.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 0a)
    02:01.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    02:01.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    02:01.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
    02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)
    02:0c.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 11)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 11)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420] (rev a3)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:00.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 0a)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:01.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:01.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:01.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)
    j0shg0tr0@j0shg0tr0:~$ 02:0c.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)

Your wifi card is apparently a Ralink RT2500, which should be supported out of the box. Does the network manager detect any networks? What happens when you try to connect to one?

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No it doesn't detect any network. I enable wireless and it says it's not connected. Router is right next to my desktop and I know it's working because my laptop is connecting to internet right now. I downloaded the drivers from the Ralink site. Installing those might help?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Does your router have SSID broadcast disabled?

What happens if you add the connection manually?

japan on
This discussion has been closed.