As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What I learned from video games.

1235»

• Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Gammarah wrote: »

Very much so. The fact that they felt the need to stat up the glaive, the guisarme, and the glaive-guisarme boggles the mind.

Glaive-guisarmes exist? o_O and they gave stats to all of them?

Oh WotC, is there anything you won't do?

YMMV, but I'm running an encounter against some infantry from an actual army in a D&D game over in CF and I'm actually looking for a big list of polearms. While it's simulationist, having different stats for different polearms does open up some tactical possibilities (and in the context of OSR play, makes clear why they were statted out in the first place, cf. early Dragon against the 2e PHB.)
    This is probably not what you were talking about, but you just made me imagine pitting a high-level party against a couple of fireteams of modern US Army soldiers. Or a section. I don't know, a bunch of guys with modern weapons. (I'll see your magic missile and raise you a forty-mike-mike!)

Never mind. Carry on.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Very much so. The fact that they felt the need to stat up the glaive, the guisarme, and the glaive-guisarme boggles the mind.

Wasn't WotC's biggest innovation with D&D that it stopped having things like that?

jothki on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mspencer wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

YMMV, but I'm running an encounter against some infantry from an actual army in a D&D game over in CF and I'm actually looking for a big list of polearms. While it's simulationist, having different stats for different polearms does open up some tactical possibilities (and in the context of OSR play, makes clear why they were statted out in the first place, cf. early Dragon against the 2e PHB.)
    This is probably not what you were talking about, but you just made me imagine pitting a high-level party against a couple of fireteams of modern US Army soldiers. Or a section. I don't know, a bunch of guys with modern weapons. (I'll see your magic missile and raise you a forty-mike-mike!)

Never mind. Carry on.

Yes, I meant an army in the Forgotten Realms (two each of halberdiers, bowmen, and swordsmen with a stab at some 4e tricks for Chondathan Steelswords.) However, you could do that quite easily in 4e - certainly much easier than anything since Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.
    jothki wrote: »

Wasn't WotC's biggest innovation with D&D that it stopped having things like that?

This is true. It took 3e Dragon to stat out most of them.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mount and Blade has corrupted D&D in my mind.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Games have taught me a lot about sports. Sure it's ultimately useless knowledge, but I know a lot about football (and recently, baseball) as a result of playing sports games.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have learned how to object like a true defense attorney!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

GET OFF MY LAWN! It was TSR that did that, kid! :)
    Taranis wrote: »

Monty Python did it better.

To be fair, it is supposed to be a Monty Python homage. It's not shady plagiarism or anything. And of course the original will be better.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If walls glow green when you shine a flashlight on them, find a grenade.

And a lot about DOS from my days of WC2 and MW2.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1. Priority Management -- Knights of the Round, Legend of Zelda

It seems like it should be the kind of thing that is instinctual and requires no learning, but it really isn't. At least, not for me. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread -- when you're fighting multiple opponents, destroy the weakest ones first. This allow you to focus your attention and resources on the larger things.

Of course, there are exceptions to this, but those too are a part of what I learned. And the concept applies to multiple other activities too... resource collection, project completion, etc.

2. Cool As A Fucking Cucumber -- Resident Evil 4

Really, after you learn the basic controls of the game and develop a passable aim, there is only one way you can die, and that's by losing your cool. As long as you stay calm and focused, making the most of each shot instead of blasting away wildly, you'll be just fine.
    No you won't. But you'll be less boned.

3. Ride The Edge -- Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart

You will never reach your maximum potential playing things safe. Push your limits and live absolutely as close to disaster as you can confidently manage. Of course, to do this you must know your limits intimately, which is another thing I learned from racing games (and RPGs, for that matter).

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dawn of war taught me that it is foolish to cower in metal boxes.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of boxes...

Women don't mind so much when you stare at their panties through the hand-holes in a cardboard box.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Speaking of boxes...

Women don't mind so much when you stare at their panties through the hand-holes in a cardboard box.

Unless it's a bankers box.

Trust me.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1. Priority Management -- Knights of the Round, Legend of Zelda

It seems like it should be the kind of thing that is instinctual and requires no learning, but it really isn't. At least, not for me. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread -- when you're fighting multiple opponents, destroy the weakest ones first. This allow you to focus your attention and resources on the larger things.

Of course, there are exceptions to this, but those too are a part of what I learned. And the concept applies to multiple other activities too... resource collection, project completion, etc.

A lot of strategery games teach things like that. How many times have you had to weigh the benefits of having another ore harvesting facility versus using that money/time toward building more tanks or turrets. Or keeping health items versus ammo in your inventory.

Backstop on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I have failed my family's honor :lol: To be fair though, I never played first edition, although I have all my dads old books. Reading through that after playing tons of 3.5 was interesting.
    I love Order of the Stick. Lots of great D&D jokes wrapped up in a pretty good plot.

Too bad Rich is sick all the time. Now he's like a mild fusion of Robert Jordan and George R.R. Martin.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Video games indirectly taught me enough about the basics of how a computer works to get me a career in enterprise-level IT. I wanted so badly to play computer games when I was very young, and games were often so tricky to set up and play, that one had to have at least some technical knowledge to get games to run on PCs back in the day. Plus, the computer I had access to was painfully outdated so I began to understand what all the parts did so I could upgrade in the future. As my family bought more PCs, I started turning them into gaming machines and eventually I built my own computer from scratch when I was in Junior High. I stopped playing computer games as much, but in college my ability to troubleshoot and maintain computers got me small-time IT jobs and almost landed me several permanent positions at internships in places like recording studios and radio stations (I declined the positions). Eventually, without any formal training, I got an internship with a major enterprise doing Desktop support, somehow managed to convince them to give me a part-time job while I finished college and then later a full-time gig (which is where I am today).

While some of this can be attributed my a general interest in technology, I am positive that if it weren't for DOS-era computer games I would not have a cool job at a young age.

I feel bad for kids these days who game but don't have to work for it. My little brother doesn't have the technical knowledge I have because he's always had a gaming system that could run the games he wanted to play without much fiddling or modding. Things just work now, and that's really a shame - games are a great incentive for young kids to get some technical chops.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My addiction to Infocom games made me want to evolve from hunt-and-peck to touch typing. I'm no speed freak, but 25 years later I'm a consistent 70-75WPM.

I also learned about networking simply because I wanted to run 4 player "Doom" games in my apartment.

I probably owe my career in IT to video games in one way or another.

Pastee on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that I am likely to be eaten by a grue.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned when a Banana rots a little, those are called Sugar Spots.

Thanks Baten Kaitos! (Kalas is an asshole.)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dont drink, but I hear that in most cases the relation between inebriation and skill/success in playing games are just about linear

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scabies wrote: »
    I dont drink, but I hear that in most cases the relation between inebriation and skill/success in playing games are just about linear

Rock band is a good example of this.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scabies wrote: »

If you mean, limited success and your skills go down the shitter, then yes.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learnt that smoking is harmful to Sake's health.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I have failed my family's honor :lol: To be fair though, I never played first edition, although I have all my dads old books. Reading through that after playing tons of 3.5 was interesting.
    I love Order of the Stick. Lots of great D&D jokes wrapped up in a pretty good plot.

Too bad Rich is sick all the time. Now he's like a mild fusion of Robert Jordan and George R.R. Martin.

all those ridiculous pole arms were in 2nd ed thoug. I never even saw the 1st ed books here in brazil.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned a lot about greek, norse, and egyptian mythology from Age of Mythology. They have this optional encyclopedia thing attached to the game with information about the actual myths they pulled all the myth units/gods from in it.

Plus some interesting stuff about seige warfare of those 3 cultures.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that 80% of Japanese males are named "Ken" or "Ryu"

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    PeacebonePeacebone Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I found that I could walk around Washington, DC and not get lost... thanks to Fallout 3.

Turns out there's no secret lab in the Jefferson Memorial, though.

Peacebone on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that 80% of Japanese males are named "Ken" or "Ryu"

Those that aren't were named after weather phenomena.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg