As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play: SPACE ASSASSIN

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited August 2009 in Social Entropy++
Let's Play Space Assassin

cover.jpg

Introduction

In this book you play the part of a futuristic assassin sent to capture a tyrannical despot bent on the destruction of your world. You must find the way through the mazes and hazards of his giant spacecraft, the Vandervecken, and eventually confront and capture him.

Before you can begin, however, you must determine your strengths and weaknesses and select your weapons and armor.

Your Abilities
Your ability to fight, withstand damage and escape from tricky situations is determined by your SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK. These attributes are derived as follows:

Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. This is your SKILL score.

Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result. This is your STAMINA score.

Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. This is your LUCK score.

(Rank note: I've already done this part ahead of time. Results were 3, 7, 4, leaving the starting ability scores as follows:

SKILL: 9
STAMINA: 19
LUCK: 10

USING LUCK
On occasion, you will be called upon to Test Your Luck. When this occurs, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, then you have been Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, then you have been Unlucky. Each time you Test Your Luck, reduce your LUCK score by 1 point. Thus, the more you use your LUCK, the riskier it becomes.

ARMOUR
Being a high-technology assassin you are equipped with the latest in protective equipment - this being a sensomatic armored pressure-suit which may absorb damage from blasters, grenades or somilar weapons. To determine the strength of your armor, roll one die, add 6 to the result and enter the total under the appropriate section on your Adventure Sheet. (result: 6, ARMOUR total 12).

Whenever you engage in a gunfire duel with an opponent and receive a hit, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current ARMOUR score, then your opponent's shot has not penetrated hour armour and thus does not wound you. If the result exceeds your current ARMOUR score, then your opponent's shot penetrates your armour and wounds you (see the weapon list below for the effects of wounding). Each time you roll two dice to determine if an opponent's shot has penetrated your armour, reduce your ARMOUR score by 1 point. Note the similarity of the above procedure to Test Your Luck.

SELECTING WEAPONS
Roll one die: this represents how many points you have to spend on weapons and to gain additional ARMOUR points. consult the list below for the cost and effect of arms and armour.

RESULT: 4

WEAPON/ARMOUR COST
Electric Lash 1
Assault Blaster 3
Grenade 1 each
Gravity Bomb 3
Armour 1/2 per additional point

Note that you must buy either an electric lash or assault blaster before purchasing anything else. So, for instance, if you roll a 3, you may aquaire one assault blaster or an electric lash, a grenade and two additional ARMOUR points. The effects in combat of different weapons are as follows:
Electric Lash - a small hand gun which projects an electric pulse, inflicting 2 points of damage on your opponent's STAMINA.
Assault Blaster - a heavy duty military weapon which inflicts varying amounts of damage. The amount is determined by rolling one die and deducting the result from your opponent's STAMINA. Thus an assault blaster will cause from 1 to 6 points of damage against a target's STAMINA.
Grenade - an area-effect weapon which will cause varying amounts of damage on all your opponents in the blast area. The amount of damage is determined by rolling one die for each target and deducting the result from that target's STAMINA. Grenades can be used only when the book specifies that it is possible.
Gravity Bomb - a heavy duty demolition bomb for blasting doors, immovable objects, etc. It consists of a microscopic black hole suspended in a time-stasis field. When the stais field is switched off at detonation, the black hole sucks in and annihilates everything within a ten-foot radius. THe black hole then evaporates into hyperspace, leaving the blast area completely safe.

HAND TO HAND COMBAT
Hand to hand combat is conducted in the same manner as other Fighting Fantasy books. If you are already familiar with this system you can skip this part of the rules. Otherwise:

1. Combat is simultaneous. Hand to Hand fighting is a series of clashes in which one combatant will do damage ot the other.
2. Roll two dice. Add your opponent's SKILL score to the roll. The total is your opponent's Attack Strength.
3. Roll two dice again. Add your SKILL score to the toll. The total is your Attack Strength.
4. If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher than yours, the opponenet has inflicted damage on you - deduct 2 points from your STAMINA.
5. If your attack strength is higher than your opponent's, you have inflicted damage upon your opponeNt. Deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA.
6. If both Attack Strengths are equal, both attacks have missed. Start the next Attack Round from step 2, above.
7. Continue this combat until either your opponent's or your STAMINA is reduced to zero.

NOTE: If you are fighting more than one opponent, you fight them one at a time.

GUNFIRE
The combat sequences for blasters, grenades and electric lashes are as follows:

1. If you are instructed by the book that it is possible to throw a grenade, you may do so. If so, roll one die for each opponent in the target area and deduct any damage inflicted.
2. After throwing a grenade, if any of your opponents are still alive, you engage them with gunfire or hand to hand combat (whichever the book specifies).
3. A gunfire combat round is conducted as follows:
4. Roll two dice. If the result is greater than or equal to your SKILL, you have missed. If the result is less than your SKILL, you have hit your opponent and inflicted damage n it - deduct as much damage as the weapon you are using causes.
5. If your opponent's STAMINA has reached zero, then your opponent has died.
6. If your opponent is still alive, then your fire will be returned: roll two dice. If the result is greater than or equal to your opponent's SKILL, your opponent has missed. If the result is less than your opponent's SKILL, your opponent has hit you - if the blast penetrates your armour, deduct as much damage as your opponent's weapon causes from your STAMINA. If your opponent's weapon is not specified, then treat it as if it were armed with an assault blaster.
7. Repeat step 6 for each opponent still alive (if you are faced by more than one opponent).
8. If you have not been killed, a new combat round starts from step 4.

Note: If you are faced by more than one opponent, you must direct your fire against the first listed until it is killed, then change to the second listed, and so on. Also, if you are involved in a gunfire battle without a weapon, the amount of damage you inflict upon your opponent will be 1 point per hit: you are expert in unarmed combat as well.

RECOVERING STAMINA
If you become involved in any gun battles or other combat, you will almost certainly lose some STAMINA. These may be recovered by taking PEP PILLS. Each PILL will restore 5 points to your stamina and may be taken at any time. You begin your adventure with 4 pep pills. Your STAMINA may never be made to exceed its initial level.

CARRYING EQUIPMENT
During the course of your adventure you are likely to come across certain items which you may wish to take with you. The maximum number of items (not including weapons) that you may carry at any one time is 5.

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    ADVENTURE SHEET

SKILL: 9
    STAMINA: 19/19
    LUCK: 10/10

ITEMS OF EQUIPMENT CARRIED :

ARMOUR: 12

PEP PILLS: 4

WEAPONS:

MISSION BRIEFING:

For some time, Cyrus, the tyrannical ruling scientist of Od (your local sector) has been harassing your home planet with his warped minions - destructive robots and evil creatures almost certainly of mutant origin. His most unusual crime has been to descend upon your planet and kidnap innocent victims upon whom, it is reputed, he practices malign experiments and surgery. In any event, his victims are never seen again.

Now, however, word has been received that he intends to use your entire world for one gruesome biological experiment in which he will cover the surface of the planet with radioactive isotopes while showering deadly viruses upon all living creatures. The time has obviously come to stop him. To this end, the authorities have selected you to penetrate into Cyrus' huge starship, the Vandervecken, capture him and bring him to justice.

So, armed with the latest and deadliest weapons, trained in twenty-seven different schools of alien and human martial arts, protected by the best in sensomatic armoured pressure-suits, you set off, searching for the Vandervecken throughout the local star systems nad eventually catching up with it in a relatively isolated system some light years from your home world. It seems to be in the process of refuelling and taking on supplies. You decide that your best bet is to smuggle on board the ship's supply shuttle and let that take you to the Vandervecken.

Arm yourself well for the coming journey, and then proceed to the MISSION START.

(For purchases, I will let you all come to a concensus on how best to spend the points. After that, the first three or so votes for an action will decide how to proceed. I may change this total depending on popularity, and will keep the ADVENTURE SHEET updated as best I can.)

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I tried to do this once

I fizzled out

and holy shit a squirrel just walked by my window with a big ol fruit in his mouth

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    You're a big ol fruit in his mouth

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    so's your face

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is extremely tempting.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Space Assassin?

Like, an assassin, in space?

How can this not be cool?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well then suggest how to spend the points on weapons so we can proceed, you gits

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    give them to charity

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    give them to charity
    >Charity is not present. Perhaps she's in the bathroom. Regardless, she's an ungrateful wench, and you don't really feel like giving her anything except a fake phone number.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    they need to be awful dakka

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm down with that Gravity Bomb.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    they need to be awful dakka
    > You are a SPACE ASSASSIN. You assassinate things in space. You better believe shit be dakka.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Two electric lashes, and four armour points.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I say get the Electric Lash and the Gravity Bomb

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    note on weapons: grenades and gravity bombs are one use only. You must purchase an Electric Lash or an Assault Blaster before buying any other weapons or armour.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Silmaril wrote: »
    You may only purchase one electric lash.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    how long did it take you to type up that OP

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    look, the electric lash is fine

but it's not gonna be enough to handle the evil space barnacles we're bound to encounter

so we need a gravity bomb

it's a fuckin' imperative

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    long enough to make my wrists hurt.

broke the air cylinder in my chair yesterday, so I'm lowridin' at my desk

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

This is bullshit.

I want one to wrap round their neck, and then one to "gently" electrify the gonads.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

but it's not gonna be enough to handle the evil space barnacles we're bound to encounter

from what I can tell, gravity bombs are used more for opening doors and such than they are for combat.

fyi

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    long enough to make my wrists hurt.

broke the air cylinder in my chair yesterday, so I'm lowridin' at my desk

guess I should probably read it

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

This is bullshit.

I want one to wrap round their neck, and then one to "gently" electrify the gonads.
    it's a pistol, not a whip

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    also I like the lash over the blaster because you're guaranteed 2 points of damage where with the assault blaster you might only get one

I like being in control of my situation, you dig me

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

This is bullshit.

you grip it, Brock Sampson style.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After I kill a space terrorist, can I rape what's left of his body and steal his soul?

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    the fuck calls a pistol a lash?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

from what I can tell, gravity bombs are used more for opening doors and such than they are for combat.

fyi

what

that sucks dicks.

I still say we'll need it.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Andrew Chapman does, apparently.

I was surprised, too.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

This is bullshit.

it's a pistol, not a whip

Bullshit++

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    alright, current vote is for electric lash and a gravity bomb.

Any other votes or plans?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Andrew Chapman does, apparently.

I was surprised, too.

dudes a dick

that shit is a whip from now on

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    nah that sounds good

how do we get more points down the road

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    no all the votes are for what I want

seriously I just talked to those guys and they were like "yeah shoe, you're totally right and handsome"

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Armour at all?

Or are we just going to rock in, hoping our wang will protect us?

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Armour at all?

it's called an "electric lash"

and it's seen things you people wouldn't believe

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    oh my god i have this exact book

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    besides he's a fucking space assassin

assassins don't rock armor

they don't need to

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Armour at all?

you've already got 12 points of armour

fuck I hate spelling it with a u

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Weapons sound good, so far.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)