As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Helping my wife understand a japanese author

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife randomly picked up and read a book she found at the local used book store. The Bridegroom Was a Dog by Yoko Tawada and she is now utterly confused at how little sense the story makes. I haven't read nor do I really want to read the book so I'm wondering if someone here has also read the book and maybe has a bit more experience in dealing with the fact that sometimes foreign authors and in particular Japanese writers can be sort of off the wall, in the sense that strange things occurring don't really need any sort of explanation.

I've tried and failed so I'm hoping maybe someone else has an explanation of what this book is supposed to mean so that way my Wife can stop bugging me about it.

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on

• Options
    GiraGira Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh wow, good fucking luck, and I mean that in the best possible way.

I had to do a presentation on that book in college, and I started with "I have no godforsaken clue what she was trying to say, but here goes:"

Edit: Love the part about the man's midsection filled to the brim with penises. Yuuuuup.

Gira on