Options

Gran Turismo 5 - Out Now - Race 5 Details OP & PG 77

HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
PSN List
(send me a message or make a post so I can add you here (include where you're from as well)
a5ehren - US
agreatgecko
AnonymousAndrew - US
Battledrill - US (West)
BeenieWeen33
Beltaine-77
BlitzAce1981 - UK
Bloodycow - Netherlands
Bolthorn - US (Central)
CamCamJelly - US
Chrysis_NZ
deveric
deathscythefish
EdwardTheThird
ehood182
elliotw2
fathom216 - US
Fleet_of_Foot
ghjfghdfgcvb - US
Hellisforheroes - Australia
hejmkik - Denmark
Hitsuraptor - Australia
Icemopper
Ironsizide - US (East)
Jhnny_Cash - US (West)
Kale_Sabo
KaptainKreutz
Kiz-ziK - Australia
Klatu_PA - Australia
kog667
kuribosshoe
kdrudy - US (Central)
LiquidSolid - New Zealand
MadCowLucien or Mad_Cow_Lucien
P-bass - Canada (West)
pablocampy - UK
pastoriusk2
pittfurg
Seanron - UK
strebalish
Spoonybard66
tachyon13 - US
Talon_Lardner
Tarballs-87 - Finland
tekthrawn - US
TheAnonymous666 - Australia
Toma84
Vacorsis - US
WMain00 - UK

(que Jessica by the Allman brothers)
comes Kevin Butler recommended

tsukubacircuits.jpg
Bearcat doing his best Jeremy Clarkson

Premium Lancer
rome1.th.jpg

Let's see what wikipedia has to say
wikipedia wrote:
Gran Turismo 5 (Japanese: グランツーリスモ 5 Guran Tsūrisumo Faibu) (commonly abbreviated as GT5) is the fifth edition of the Gran Turismo racing simulator series. Developed by Polyphony Digital and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, it was released for PlayStation 3 on November 24, 2010. It expands on the Prologue version and is the first entry of the series to be developed for PlayStation 3.

The game marks the first entry in the series to feature online races for 16-players. A damage model has been confirmed with variations of damage depending on whether the vehicle is "standard" or "premium". Over 1,000 cars will be featured in the game; it will feature 26 different locations and 71 different tracks. Night racing will return in GT5.

World Rally Championship, NASCAR and Super GT licenses are featured for the first time in the Gran Turismo franchise.

Features :
Cars - 1031
Tracks - 26 Tracks 71 Variations
A-Spec Mode - Get behind the wheel and improve your skills by tackling a variety of racing events. The incredible "Cockpit View" camera lets you race from the best seat in the house, complete with fully re-created interiors and working gauges.
B-Spec Mode - Manage a stable of AI (artificial intelligence) drivers as the director and manager of a racing team. Coach them to victory and monitor their stamina. It's possible to complete a full GT Life career in both A-Spec and B-Spec modes.
Special Events - Race to gain experience points and level up to unlock new special events, including training courses hosted by real professional race car drivers. (Go Karts, Top Gear Challenge, NASCAR, AMG Driving School, Rally School, Sebastien Loeb Challenge
Photo Travel - Take your favorite car to beautiful locations around the world and take pictures with a virtual SLR camera with true-to-life camera settings. You can even walk around the environment to explore the surroundings and find the perfect vantage point from which to take pictures of your cars.
Photo Mode - After an intense race, relive the action with the race replay. Pause the replay to capture the most exciting moments and most dynamic shots of your cars.
Online Racing - Anyone can join an open lobby, a custom race lounge to hang out, face new challengers, and make new friends. Since anyone can join, you never know who you'll meet. If you find someone you get along with and register each other on your Friend list, you can meet up in the private My Lounge racing lobby as well. (Leaderboards coming soon)

Useful Websites
GT5 Wikidot - from our very own kyleh613 (and others)
GTPlanet

GT5 Online Race Series
PAGT5logo.jpg?t=1290924152
The "Sorry it took so long" Edition

The 5th Group Race of the Penny Arcade Gran Turismo 5 Sunday Cup Series will take place on Sunday, December 26th, at 1:00 PM PST (GMT-8).

Be there, or be square.

Race #1: Skylines, Skylines Everywhere

Track - Autumn Ring/Reverse
Laps - 5

Special Conditions:

Models restricted to - Nissan Skyline, Nissan GT-R, and Infiniti G35 models only.
Engine Power restricted to - 700hp.

Point Allocation:

1st - 20 Points
2nd - 18 Points
3rd - 16 Points
4th - 14 Points
5th - 12 Points
6th - 10 points
7th - 9 Points
8th - 8 Points
9th - 7 Points
10th - 6 Points
11th - 5 Points
12th - 4 Points
13th - 3 Points
14th - 2 Points
15th - 1 Points
16th - 0.5 Points

Note: I know that Nissan Skylines are pretty rare in GT5, so hopefully everybody will be able to find one in time.

Special note on car selection - The Nissan Skyline was rebadged and redesigned as the Infiniti G35 in the United States. The Nissan GT-R is a spinoff of the Nissan Skyline GT-R model.

Immediately followed by

Race #2: Misadventures In Monaco

Track - Côte d'Azur
Laps - 6

Special Conditions:

Engine type restricted to - Internal Combustion
Engine Power restricted to - 300hp
Bodystyle restricted to - Enclosed

Point Allocation:

Same as above

Note: Grab your cigars, grab your brandy, kiss your dame, and trim your mustache, because we're heading to the French Riviera baby. There's more to the Azure Coast than celebrities going topless, overpriced cuisine, and the slothy whims of the super-rich, word is they do a little motorsport there from time to time.
grahamhill400x300.jpg
Better hope GT5 puts you in the pole, because if professional F1 racers can't pass at Monaco, odds are we're doomed.

Special Note on Car Selection: "Enclosed" is French for "No Caterhams".

THE OTHER DAY'S RACE RESULTS:
Special thanks to BlitzAce1981

Race #1 - Grudge Match

1 - BlitzAce1981 - 20 Points
2 - Ironsizide - 18 Points
3 - TheAnonymous666 - 16 Points
4 - pablocampy - 14 Points
5 - KDRudy - 12 Points
6 - pastoriusk2 - 10 Points
7 - Bolthorn - 9 Points

Race #2 - 2FAST 2HURRDURRIOUS

2 - TheAnonymous666 - 18 Points
3 - pastoriusk2 - 16 Points
5 - Ironsizide - 12 Points
6 - Bolthorn - 10 Points
7 - KDRudy - 9 Points

Season Totals:

1 - BlitzAce1981 - 110 Points
2 - TheAnonymous666 - 106 Points
3 - Ironsizide - 83 Points
4 - pablocampy - 82 Points
5 - Bolthorn - 61 Points
6 - pastoriusk2 - 54 Points
7 - tachyon13 - 54 Points
8 - Kale_sabo - 35 Points
9 - ghjfghdfgcvb - 33 Points
10 - KDRudy - 21 Points +
11 - deveric - 13 Points
12 - AnonymousAndrew - 6 Points

Honorary Disco Trophy - Battledrill
Ballsiest New Guy Award - AnonymousAndrew, for taking a WagonR to a race filled with 500HP Audis
Best Dad Ever - BlitzAce1981, for getting his son a TurboMan doll
Bailout Ribbon - SmokeStacks, who had ninety nine problems and a bitch was one

Previous Race Results:
Race #1 - Jingle All The Way

3 - Bolthorn - 16 Points
5 - pastoriusk2 - 12 Points
6 - tachyon13 - 10 Points
7 - Ironsizide - 9 Points
8 - ghjfghdfgcvb - 8 Points
9 - KD_Rudy - 7 Points
10 - AnonymousAndrew - 6 Points

Race #2 - Ain't No Racin' Like Snow Racin'

3 - Ironsizide - 16 Points
4 - tachyon13 - 14 Points
5 - pablocampy - 12 Points
6 - Bolthorn - 10
7 - ghjfghdfgcvb - 9 Points
8 - Kale_sabo - 8 Points
9 - KD_Rudy - 7 Points
10 - Bolthorn - 6 Points

NASCAR Dickery at the Cape Ring Perhiphery

2 - tachyon13 - 18 Points
3 - TheAnonymous666 - 16 Points
4 - Ironsizide - 14 Points
5 - pablocampy - 12 Points
6 - Bolthorn - 10 Points
7 - Kale_sabo - 9 Points
8 - pastoriusk2 - 8 Points
9 - ghjfghdfgcvb - 7 Points
10 - deveric - 6 Points

Compensation Championship

1 - TheAnonymous666 - 20 Points
2 - Kale_sabo - 18 Points
3 - pablocampy - 16 Points
4 - Ironsizide - 14 Points
5 - tachyon13 - 12 Points
6 - BlitzAce1981 - 10
7 - ghjfghdfgcvb - 9 Points
8 - pastoriusk2 - 8 Points
9 - deveric - 7 Points
10 - Bolthorn - 6 Points

Excellent races everyone!

GT5 FAQ and Tips

Q. What's the difference between Premium and Standard Cars??
A: From the manual
Premium Cars - Feature extremely detailed interiors and exteriors, headlights with high and low beams and extensive damage effects
Standard Cars - Less detailed exteriors and damage effects, no interiors.
You also can't change the rims on Standard cars, or use them in Photo Travel and there's a limit on how close you can get in photo mode.
Also from what I've seen so far, all dealership cars are premium, used cars are standard

Q. What's a good way to make money early?
A. The special events, especially the go-kart's are a good source of early money, just be wary of the evil top gear challenges

Q. Speaking of stupid oversized VW buses that should be blown up (Top Gear Special Event no.1)
A. Grrrr... just hang in there but you can also try the following strategy
MikeHTiger wrote:
Having trouble with the Top Gear Test Track Samba bus race? Try ignoring the racing line and follow these rules: Tap the brake at Wilson. Take the inside at Chicago and tap the brake, Take the inside at the hammerhead and tap the brake, then cut the corner when you start turning right, then flat out until you hit Bacharach start outside of the racing line, don't cut the inside so much that you go off the track, but come close, and just tap the brakes, then let off the gas a bit through Gambon, and across the line!

Remember if you hit another bus or try to pull a Tom Cruise you'll be disqualified. You are allowed to sideswipe buses as long they are turning into you also.

Q. What's a good cheap way to upgrade power?
A. Well it might sound a bit silly, but always do a oil change (GT Auto), new or used you'll get around 5-20 BHP increase just from that. Afterwards the best bang for your buck is usually the ECU upgrade (Engine), Racing Air Filter (Intake System), Sports Exhaust and Catalytic Converter (Both Exhaust), then if you needed more power, start looking at the Engine Tuning Stage 1 and/or Turbo Kit Stage 1

What if I don't have a PS3 and still want to play GT??

Lucky for you sony's got you covered

Gran Turismo PSP
nws12491413001517871.jpg

Release Date : October 1st 2009
Pre-Order Bonus

Wikipedia Says
Gran Turismo will be available as both a UMD at retail and as a digital download off the PlayStation Store. The game will feature over 800 cars. The exotic car manufacturer Ferrari will feature, and for the first time in the Gran Turismo series, Lamborghini and Bugatti cars will be introduced. There will be no damage model in the game. All 35 tracks will be included, and most can be driven forward and reverse, creating over 70 layouts.

Gran Turismo will be centered on completing driving missions in order to advance in the game, unlike Gran Turismo 4's open-ended map. The game will use a new trading system to allow players to acquire cars. Ad-hoc multiplayer will be supported for up to four players. Gran Turismo will also allow online play through a free downloadable PS3 application known as Adhoc Party for PlayStation Portable. During an interview at E3, it was revealed that tracks featured in the game are directly sourced from Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy, while the game's physics engine is based on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

No additional cars or tracks will be available through DLC.

Special offer for those in PAL land (a.k.a the best land)
Sony announced today at its GamesCom press event that PSP Go owners in Europe and PAL territories can score Gran Turismo PSP for free if they register between October 1 and 10.

Gran Turismo PSP is also a freebie for gamers who pre-order Gran Turismo 5 on PlayStation 3. You might remember first hearing about Gran Turismo PSP way back in 2004 — but now instead of a cast-off for portable systems, the game serves as a launch title for the PSP Go.

Sadly, a Sony US representative tells us that we're not getting the same freebie deal Stateside. Check out our liveblog of the Sony presser for more juicy morsels like this one.

GT PSP In-Car view + Gameplay

Screenshots
gran-turismo-psp-101.jpg
gran-turismo-psp-108.jpg
gran-turismo-psp-1015.jpg

Hitsuraptor on

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PS Eye head tracking will blow my dads mind. He uses an expensive head tracking set on his PC for racing games. being bale to do it with just the PS Eye is awesome.

edit - I would have thought a first party developer would be able to get more than that out of the PSP. GT PSP looks pretty average.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I won't lie. I'll buy an eyetoy just for this. They're pretty cheap now.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    PS Eye head tracking will blow my dads mind. He uses an expensive head tracking set on his PC for racing games. being bale to do it with just the PS Eye is awesome.

edit - I would have thought a first party developer would be able to get more than that out of the PSP. GT PSP looks pretty average.

I wonder what framerate GT PSP runs at. It doesn't look all that bad, but it also doesn't look that great..

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

I wonder what framerate GT PSP runs at. It doesn't look all that bad, but it also doesn't look that great..

60 frames. That's probably why there's only 4 cars on a track at once (compared to GT5's 16). Outside of that, I really don't think it looks bad, unless you're comparing it with PS3/360 games anyway.

Anyway, christ GT5 looks to be completely insane. 1000 cars? 80 tracks? WRC and NASCAR? I just hope this isn't another GT3, where F1 racing was promised and promised then cut completely out.

As for the head tracking, I assume it'll track subtle head movements rather than 1:1? I can't see it working too well.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If the headtracking can also detect when a significant other walks in front of the screen at a crucial time and shout "GET OUT OF THE WAY WOMAN!" then I'll be buying a Playstation Eye.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The camera tracking for cockpit view is quite simply a genius idea. No more fuddling trying to see what's going on when I'm busy with my wheel. I can't wait to see how it reacts when I get a little eccentric making that crucial pass and feeling so great about putting that other guy behind me.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gameplay Footage fresh from GamesCom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9mEghOpg0Q
    The action takes place on Tokyo Route 246, heralding a welcome return of a much-loved track, with the driver in charge of a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRC in cockpit view up against nine others. There isn’t, as yet, any evidence of weather or day/night cycles, but it is GT5 and it is playable!

Edit: Some of our eagle-eyed viewers have spotted that in the smaller screen to the side of the main screen, the Impreza being driven by someone else crashes and the door pops open… This suggests that damage is included and optional…

It's at about the 55second mark, you can see the door swing open on the side TV

image_gran_turismo_5-11370-1865_0007-300x168.jpg
    Hot on the heels of Gamersyde’s first look at the GamesCom playable GT5 demo, they now provide us with a first real look at ingame damage.

Using the same Subaru Impreza WRC car, the Gamersyde insider drove slightly more carelessly than the previous attempt and we can now see some quite extensive damage to the poor, battered Scooby – including sufficient front-end damage to pop the bonnet clean open (good job those vents are there!) and poor Phil Mills is now sitting in a draught as his side door has been completely ripped away!

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    How does head tracking actually work?

Like, if I move my head to look over my left shoulder, the in-game camera turns to look over my in-game left shoulder? Great! But...now I'm looking over my left shoulder, not at the TV.

:?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well obviously you mount your TV on their propriety 360 degree swivelsphere duh.

Actually the way the current PC tech does it is a slight turn of your head equals a much larger turn of your virtual head. I imagine it'll be the same. I haven't had the opportunity to try such a thing myself but I always figured having to keep your eyes forward while turning your head to look to your side would boggle my fucking mind for a while - I mean even typed out how does that sound? I'm sure that once you rewrite your natural instincts a bit it'll be awesome though.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    Well obviously you mount your TV on their propriety 360 degree swivelsphere duh.

Actually the way the current PC tech does it is a slight turn of your head equals a much larger turn of your virtual head. I imagine it'll be the same. I haven't had the opportunity to try such a thing myself but I always figured having to keep your eyes forward while turning your head to look to your side would boggle my fucking mind for a while - I mean even typed out how does that sound? I'm sure that once you rewrite your natural instincts a bit it'll be awesome though.

I'm just trying to imagine where my body is turned 0 degrees, my head is rotated 25 degrees, my eyes are locked at 0 degrees and I'm watching the action on screen with the scenery flying past at -90 degrees while I try to steer and not vomit.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm just trying to imagine where my body is turned 0 degrees, my head is rotated 25 degrees, my eyes are locked at 0 degrees and I'm watching the action on screen with the scenery flying past at -90 degrees while I try to steer and not vomit.

I think I read somewhere that if you lift your head upwards, it'll go to the back view.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I think I read somewhere that if you lift your head upwards, it'll go to the back view.

That makes sense. Like looking in your rear view mirror.

Although having a virtual rear view mirror might make more sense, but I guess it's a context rational gesture to get a full screen rear view without having to have another TV behind your couch.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    IGN's hands-on
    Nothing to huge in there till you get to the bottom
    First: Kazunori was still unwilling to give a solid release date for Gran Turismo 5. Although, Kazunori explained, as Gran Turismo PSP is right around the corner, its upcoming PS3 counterpart shouldn't be too far away. That sounds like "sooner rather than later" to me.

The next detail Kazunori touched on was regarding damage models. I can confirm that not every car in Gran Turismo 5 will sport damage models -- it will only be select sets. However, Kazunori has yet to decide on a finalized list of featured car types for damage support.

Lastly, it sounds like Porsche will not make it into Gran Turismo 5. As disappointing as this was for Kazunori, Porsche signed an exclusive arrangement elsewhere and will probably not be included. It looks like Porsche fans will have to wait.

No Porsche and no car damage on all the cars :( (Possibly only the race cars) hopefully we get some more solid info soon

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a feeling only nascar and wrc cars will have damage.

the production EVO rams into WRC subaru. subaru is damaged but evo is in great shape :(

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    scootch wrote: »
    I have a feeling only nascar and wrc cars will have damage.

the production EVO rams into WRC subaru. subaru is damaged but evo is in great shape :(

It's probably more to individual licensing with manufacturers. Subaru and Nissan probably wouldn't mind it if their cars got a bit beat up, but I somehow doubt Lamborghini would have been as agreeable.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ugh. I was right along with this until he hit the barrier and nothing happened to his car. I didn't see anything happen to the door at 0:55? He just bounced off and merrily kept going, same as every other GT game.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ugh. I was right along with this until he hit the barrier and nothing happened to his car. I didn't see anything happen to the door at 0:55? He just bounced off and merrily kept going, same as every other GT game.

Except damage is occurring, unlike every other GT game. Since it's physics based damage, I'd assume he either didn't hit hard enough to trigger damage or the damage model is still a bit buggy. I obviously watched a different one though, so I don't know what happened in that movie at 0:55. The one I watched nothing happened - he was driving on a straight, and the door was swinging from prior damage.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It's in the video, but its not the main screen. You can just see a screen off to the left (Helps to have HQ and full screen on)and in that one you'll see the door swing open (again the screen on the left, not the main screen). In the main one though towards the end when he hits the barriers you see the barriers move.

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PSP video is looking pretty sweet, playing with the psps analog might be painful though.. it's truly terrible for microadjustments. Hopin' we can just play with the dpad really.

As for the damage issue.. my single most hated thing in GT4 was the fact there was no penalty for just playing bumper cars. Everytime my friends played it, they simply used the AI as turning stones to bounce off. Forza's damage model was so much greater simply because there was basic car damage, not because of stupid fenders flying off etc.
    Gets really tiresome watching people engine brake without regard for the engine also.

Magitek on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Including damage, but not for all the cars is just a waste of time.

Oh Gran Turismo, how I loathe you.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

christ christ christ christ CHRIST why do I read the COMMENTS

I do it every TIME

I need to go rub Listerine into my eyes, BRB

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

Bad driver is bad.

Man, I'm torn. I bought a PS2 for GT4 (I was a very late adopter), and I have probably sunk a good 80+ hours into the game over the past several years. This video is very pretty, but it doesn't show me anything that GT4 didn't have (including the same track that I've been racing on since GT2, I think, but I could be wrong).

I'm not slamming the game; I'm excited for a new GT, but yet another version of Trial Mountain doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

Ballman on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey look, damage modelling!

Kinda odd that they've only shown damage on the rally cars though. Wonder if it happens on other makes and models as well....

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So some big news in the GT5 world

gran-turismo-5-brochure.jpg
    Developer: Polyphony – Platform: PS3
    Genre: Racing – Number of players: T.B.A.

Release: 4th Quarter of 2009

THE ULTIMATE RACING GAME RETURNS

(lots of stupid PR blah blah, really nothing important)
    The player can choose between over
    1000 cars to race on incredible detailed racetracks and unlock PlayStation Trophies (blah).
    The new NASCAR and WRC championships improve the Gran Turismo experience. Players are challenged to fight their way up the online leaderboards against other racedrivers from all over the world.

Can probably expect a more solid date at the Tokyo Game Show Sept 24-27 but either way, GT5 this year woooooooo

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damn.

That's unexpected.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised by a November/December release in Japan but I seriously doubt the US or Europe will get it this year.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Something near Christmas to move hardware wouldn't be unexpected.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised by a November/December release in Japan but I seriously doubt the US or Europe will get it this year.

I dunno, the fact that thing is in German might indicate a worldwide simultaneous release.
    It makes sense from Sony's perspective to push the new hardware with one of it's big names.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I dunno, the fact that thing is in German might indicate a worldwide simultaneous release.
    It makes sense from Sony's perspective to push the new hardware with one of it's big names.

Don't get me wrong, I hope above all hope this is true. But according to the local gamestop, they're saying Jan '10. Which, could be anywhere from 3 months to 1 month variance from Q4 '09. Either way, good news.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

it's gran turismo. do you think a moon-language menu is going to stop me?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Alternatively, it could be referring to Sony's 4th fiscal quarter, which is between January and March. Or it could just be a temporary placeholder. I seriously doubt it's coming this year, for the US and Europe anyway.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    From a recent interview with Italian gaming site MultiPlayer.it, Kazunori Yamauchi answers some questions (This is a translation of the bigger questions he was asked not a full transcript)
    MultiPlayer: GT5 Release?
    KY: ”The game is still under development but its release is not too far, it will be after the PSP GT release and, very probably, it will be a simultaneous world release”

MultiPlayer:
    What about the game features that were published on the official japanese site, 1000 cars, 80
    tracks and YouTube download?
    KY: ”We would like to wait to publish them, but what you read on the site is true.”

MultiPlayer: Is there something new in the single player mode
    KY: ”If you look at the PSP version, you’ll see that the game is very different from the previous Gran Turismo versions. The 5th episode will have many similar features to the PSP version”

MultiPlayer: How the damages will influence the gameplay?
    KY: ”The damages are not only visible, they will affect the driving style.
    It depends on the player, some players will like it, others will not”

MultiPlayer: Will we have Nascar and WRC championships in the game or just the cars?
    KY: ”There will be real Nascar races in the game. Nascar had necessary to be included in the game. Regarding WRC championship we have been trying to add it to series since long ago. Now we got it.”

At the end KY confirmed 1080p and 60 fps.

Woo Q4 World Wide Release (Probably)

GT5 for christmas!

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    First review for Gran Turismo PSP is in - IGN with a 6.8. To be fair, the only thing that knocked it down was the lack of a career mode. It's basically everything unlocked right at the start, and quick races and challenges, and buy new cars with cash from winning said quick races and challenges. I guess they were looking at actually making it portable. This is something I can actually get behind and would have marked it higher for. When I'm playing this on the go, I don't want to have to do licenses, endurance races, etc with limited time.

Oh, and calendar based vehicle availability. Every 2 days different cars are available to buy. But I guess you can just change the PSP system date if you are impatient.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Huh, really? So it's basically a Concept release or can you still buy cars, etc?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You still buy cars. When you start, you buy your initial cars (you get 100k in game money to start), you pick a car type (track, offroad), race type (race, time trial, drift) and pick a car you've bought, then pick a track, which are all unlocked from the start. You do the race, and it gives you cash. You buy cars and stuff with cash, and basically get your grade from D to A on each track.

They basically took the game, removed the long parts, and made it a Gran Turismo you can pick and play for short periods of time, have some racing fun, buy a car or two, and put down.

What gets me, is watching the video review, he says that's the best way to do it on a portable system. Then he goes and says because they did that, it's not as good as the console versions, so it gets marked down. So they did the game the right way according to him, but it was the wrong way so it gets marked down. IGN are a pack of douches.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry to double post, but Ars Technica have their GT PSP review up. Rather positive review, and it mentioned one feature I had no idea about that pushed me into buying this - custom soundtracks. I love me some GT racing, so it's basically the ultimate on the go experience of it, plus I can listen to my own music while playing. Score.

edit - more good news from their review, which they updated as I was reading, it has an install option. They don't mention how big, but it's nice UMD based PSP games are starting to have this (eg Dissidia, MHFU). Cuts down on disk spinning (though not completely) and load times, which is nice. Though it makes a bigger memory stick a necessity.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have been waiting for this since I got y PS3 over 2 years ago

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I forget where I read Feb 2nd for Gran Turismo 5, but I saw it somewhere.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Seems there was a miscommunication on damage modeling in this game. A new article indicated that 'normal' vehicles will have specific damage modeling as well as scuffs to the paint, while NASCAR and WRC get full damage modeling, probably the physics based damage they've been touting. I'd assume this is because it's more likely in those events that a car will actually get that much damage during a normal race. Also because doing full damage modeling on 950 car models would be a fucking nightmare.

Also - rain, day/night differences and proper tire degradation.

-Loki- on