As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Surround Sound DVD + Stereo Laptop = ?

YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You ShillRegistered User regular
I rather recently picked up some dual language DVDs and find myself in a bit of a pickle- the English audio comes in Surround sound but not Stereo. My laptop does not have surround sound, nor does anything else I own. When I watch the DVDs I can hear the left and right channels very clearly but the other ones come in very faintly, if at all. Is there a program or a ...process or something that can covert these to stereo sound? "Flatten" the audio or something?

The only other thing I have to play DVDs is a PS2, which creates problems of its own.

YggiDee on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    I rather recently picked up some dual language DVDs and find myself in a bit of a pickle- the English audio comes in Surround sound but not Stereo. My laptop does not have surround sound, nor does anything else I own. When I watch the DVDs I can hear the left and right channels very clearly but the other ones come in very faintly, if at all. Is there a program or a ...process or something that can covert these to stereo sound? "Flatten" the audio or something?

The only other thing I have to play DVDs is a PS2, which creates problems of its own.

You in Windows?

I know that some players, like VLC or Media Player Classic HC, have options in the settings to downmix 5.1 audio to stereo. I have no idea if whatever player you're using can do the same...some can, some can't.

mcdermott on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am using both the ones mentioned, VLC processes audio correctly but otherwise is choppy and suck. Messing with the settings in Media Player Classic HC, I can't find a explicit downmix option, and the settings that let me reroute different inputs to specific output speakers doesn't seem to affect anything at all. The other player I've been trying is WMP 10

YggiDee on
    edited August 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    I am using both the ones mentioned, VLC processes audio correctly but otherwise is choppy and suck. Messing with the settings in Media Player Classic HC, I can't find a explicit downmix option, and the settings that let me reroute different inputs to specific output speakers doesn't seem to affect anything at all. The other player I've been trying is WMP 10

In MPC-HC, you want to go to to:

View->Options->Internal Filters->AC3

Double-click for properties, then choose the "Decode to Speakers" button and "Stereo" for the drop-down. You can set the DTS from the same dialog.

I forgot that it wasn't exactly in an intuitive place.

I think you can do it somewhere else too (for the output in general), but I'll be damned if I remember where. That dialog should do you, though.

mcdermott on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh my God, that was it!

For some arcane reason the AC3 filter had been disabled, and re-enabling fixed the audio.

This had been bugging me for weeks.

Merci again!

YggiDee on
    edited August 2009
    No problemo, glad I could help.

mcdermott on