Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I want a file server!

CorakCorak Registered User
So I have an old PC lying around that I've heaped together from parts. I'm even pretty sure that those parts are all compatible. I want to use this sucker as a file server in my home. I want it to sit on my network, accessible by either my PC or my wife's laptop to dump files, movies, images... that's all I need it to do.

It doesn't have an OS, so Linux is the route to take. Should I just install Ubuntu? Ubuntu Server Edition (what's that?). Will I be able to set this thing up and then no longer need a keyboard/monitor/etc for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I live!
Corak on

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Surreal. Immersive. Earth.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zilla360 on
    Skidzilla360.jpg | NH844lc.png | GACSALB.jpg My Blog | Gravatar | PSN | 72INGtl.jpg | HkSlskT.png
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »

FreeNAS is pretty simple to setup. I had it running until i realized I wanted more than just a file server.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."