As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something is eating my RAM

ReitenReiten Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got this problem where suddenly my computer gets strange errors about not enough space or memory. Generally seems related to utorrent and firefox (but not sure). I have plenty of HD space (30+ GB). I've noticed the following happen: I have 1GB of RAM and virtual memory (Windows decides on size setting) of about 1.5GB. I'll suddenly see a giant spike in memory usage from 400-500MB to over 1.5GB. There is no obvious reason for this spike. Things start crashing after this.

There are visual glitches that often occur after this, most frequently that title bars on open windows disappear (if I mouse over the minimize/maximize/close buttons, they'll reappear).

I don't think it's any malware--I run Kav's anti-virus (free version through AOL), Spybot, Windows Defender and Ad-Aware on a regular basis.

Could a corrupt page file cause this? Maybe I need to defragment a couple times in safe mode.

I also know that the processes in Process Explorer and Taskmanager don't always add up w/ used memory and what they list individually. Are things not getting released properly? How can I see a more detailed view of things using memory.

Reiten on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    could it be firefox's memory leak?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Not sure, by most reports, Firefox doesn't have a serious memory leak anymore. I basically did a repair windows install, defraged the hell out of the HD, uninstalled a bunch of stuff and did a clean reinstall of Firefox. That seems to have cleaned up the problem. At least so far.

Reiten on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Note that AOL itself puts an awful lot of shit on your machine, so if you're running that, you really should get a different ISP.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The AOL antivirus is from Kav. It's not actually from AOL as an ISP. I'd never sign up with AOL as an ISP. It's just Kav getting into the free antivirus, like Avast or AVG (but better).

My problems reappeared. I'm beginning to think it's either the way Firefox handles graphics or else maybe Adblock Plus. Seems to happen when I have utorrent active and I hit a graphics intensive page. RAM usage goes through the roof and causes a ton of errors. Rebooting seems to be the only solution.

Reiten on