As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pentium 2 Casing Removal

DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to know if there's a way I can remove the casing from this Pentium 2 cartridge CPU so I can remove the heatsink without being destructive. I've been trying to wrap my head around it all morning but I'm really starting to think they didn't want you inside these things. I have plans for a P2 belt buckle but I really need to get rid of this heatsink.

Some pictures for reference.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Top.jpg
yeah yeah Blue Jays I know :(

DekuStick on

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I did this once. I think it involved prying off some of the parts that are glued, namely that heatsink. There are some screws but you are correct in your assumption that it's not meant to come off easily.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm seeing the heatsink is held in with some screws in the back of it. Seemingly a simple Hex would take care of it but anything that fits is too small. I'm thinking I need to get some serious cutting power on this.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They're probably metric hex screws.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png