As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Keyboard

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
Ok, so my keyboard is just a regular gateway, probably in the 10 dollar range. Currently, while the buttons are not broken, spacebar and the n key will not work. What they will do, however, is engage my computer into a permanent alt-mode. If I click spacebar multiple times, it shuts the computer down. I wrote this from my phone, in order to even write a comprehensible post. Has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Langly on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ... alt-mode? What does that mean?

It shouldn't even be possible for your keyboard to turn off your computer like that. Could someone you know be running a prank program on your computer to do that?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    ... alt-mode? What does that mean?

It shouldn't even be possible for your keyboard to turn off your computer like that. Could someone you know be running a prank program on your computer to do that?

After the glitch occurs, every key that is pressed reacts as if I was holding the alt key. It also affects my mouse, so that clicking downloads the address instead of directing me there.

basically to type I am copy-pasting a space, then going back through ad copy-pasting the n's and b's

it's the weirdest shit I have ever seen

Langly on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do you have another keyboard to try?

This could be any number of things, if a different keyboard works, use that one or spend $10-$20 on a new one.

If the problem persists with a different keyboard it could be something with your ps/2 or usb ports, try different ports if you get to this point.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sounds like what the keyboard in my old Dell laptop did on it's way out.
    Open up your onscreen keyboard. It will show you what it thinks is being pressed.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!