As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gaming parties at the hotels???

RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
Anyone who's been to PAX before can attest to the fact that while the gaming rooms are awesome, they can have long waits, and can only have so many games. So is anyone else thinking of holding mini-tournaments or just game parties in the hotels???

Redwingedblackbird on

• Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If history has taught us anything, it's that if you are indeed going to have a party, it is in your best interest not to announce it on the forums.

.. oh, and don't make a sign announcing it to the masses either.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I take it there was some bad experiences in previous years? Perhaps I shoudln't have used the word "party"... I was just thinking of having more gaming rooms, like the ones at PAX, but without the long waits and with more choices of games. Not a wild party... people can go to bars for that, lol.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    :P People do have parties in their rooms, you just have to be careful about noise complaints. In most hotels I believe you have to bring your own TV for gaming though because they don't let you plug your system into theirs.

If you're looking to go to a hotel party, you just have to be friendly and open to meeting new people.... and not be a douchebag.

Sumi on
  • Options
    DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    after i get my schedual down i most likly will have a DND, Magic the gathering, and/or yugioh all free, but like i said i need to figure out my schedual first.

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I thought about the TV situation... but I was also thinking of doing some tabletop games. I'd love to get some people together for Star Fleet Battles or Axis & Allies...

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After hours axis and allies would run you through the night until the con opens the next day.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    same with Star Fleet Battles... but it's also a game that you can stop and pick up right where you left off teh next night.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That just inspired me to bring my Risk game along...probably won't get used, but if I could drum up support for a 3 AM world domination session I'd be golden! :winky:

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After hours axis and allies would run you through the night until the con opens the next day.

You could probaby still get an hour or two nap in afterward. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'd totally be up for an after-hours game of Axis and Allies. I haven't played the new version yet.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    In most hotels I believe you have to bring your own TV for gaming though because they don't let you plug your system into theirs.

Last year at the Homewood Suites we surprisingly had no problem hooking our 360s, etc. up to the 2 LCDs installed in our room!

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    artrulz wrote: »
    Sumi wrote: »
    In most hotels I believe you have to bring your own TV for gaming though because they don't let you plug your system into theirs.

Last year at the Homewood Suites we surprisingly had no problem hooking our 360s, etc. up to the 2 LCDs installed in our room!

Did you use a Universal Remote? Most hotels' remotes don't have a TV/AV function, I've found the only way to switch is if you bring your own remote...

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The AV/TV was the exact issue I was thinking might be a problem with hotel TV's. But shouldn't they have a manual menu option located on the TV??? You could try bringing a universal remote, but you would need the sync code for that particular TV manufacturer.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I take it there was some bad experiences in previous years? Perhaps I shoudln't have used the word "party"... I was just thinking of having more gaming rooms, like the ones at PAX, but without the long waits and with more choices of games. Not a wild party... people can go to bars for that, lol.

Here's the story. There was going to be an epic party titled Sealab. Enough liquor to drown an irishman and great festivities for all. To get to the party, you joined the info list here on the forums. Basically, all you had to do was know someone who could get you in.

Well, one person who will remain nameless thought it would be a brilliant idea to advertise this party on a sign and walk around PAX. You can imagine how this ended.

Bonus: On the train trip home, I was sharing a dinner table with 2 people I didn't know. I started bitching about "that asshole who went and ruined Sealab for all of us." One of the guys at the table goes "Oh... uh... yeah, that was me, I'm really sorry about that." Awkward meal.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That sucks... I wasn't thinking of broadcasting details to everyone. I don't drink, so when I say party, I mean gaming party... not get drunk and stupid party. I'm just in it for the gaming. I'm thinking throw the idea of gaming in the hotel out there... and see who's interested in playing some Axis & Allies, xbox, ect... Then make plans with those specific people, as opposed to an open invitation, where you have no idea who shows up and things deteriorate into a story like the one you just told me, lol.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I mean gaming party... not get drunk and stupid party.

Hey, at pax those are pretty much the same thing. There's no reason why you can't have the best of both worlds. :D

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well... I don't drink, so getting drunk hold no interest for me. Besides, I'm fully capable of making a fool of myself while sober, I don't need alcohol :)

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well... I don't drink, so getting drunk hold no interest for me. Besides, I'm fully capable of making a fool of myself while sober, I don't need alcohol :)

I think we found a designated driver.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I understand. I pretty much quit drinking too, but for pax I'm going to make an exception. That was probably a terrible, terrible idea though, since prior to pax I should be attempting to raise my tolerance, not lower it...

And I am definitely hoping not to make a fool of myself...

Sumi on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    haha, maybe this thread deserves a title change? "Gaming tournaments in hotel rooms?"

Though, to be honest, the answer is the same: Get to know people during the con and make plans to hook up with them after hours for some gaming fun.

Even if you're announcing a tea party on the forums it's probably not a good idea unless you have room for hundreds of people. Everything posted here is open to the internet. I hear that internet dude is a crazy party animal.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    PimpMethodPimpMethod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Even if you're announcing a tea party on the forums it's probably not a good idea unless you have room for hundreds of people. Everything posted here is open to the internet. I hear that internet dude is a crazy party animal.

Too late! LOL

PimpMethod on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are we still doing Strip Mario Party in Shelley's suite at the Sheraton? I've got my wavebird!

I am soooo ready.
    l6b33e7d14ec2ad259b28c3tk5.jpg

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    Are we still doing Strip Mario Party in Shelley's suite at the Sheraton? I've got my wavebird!

I am soooo ready.

That seems like a really long time to just get naked, the typical mario party game (50 rounds) can go for what three hours?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That just inspired me to bring my Risk game along...probably won't get used, but if I could drum up support for a 3 AM world domination session I'd be golden! :winky:

Im so in.

Im staying at the Homewood Suites

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'd also be down for this, but man would I be exhausted the next day...

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zonugal wrote: »

I am soooo ready.

That seems like a really long time to just get naked, the typical mario party game (50 rounds) can go for what three hours?

We only play mini-games.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I am soooo ready.

We only play mini-games.

As fun as it is to turn innocent games into strip games, I feel like the male to female ratio is way to high. This coming from a male, so maybe I'm biased.

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    RISK PEOPLE RISK

If you are in Homewood Suites and want to play Risk late into the night after PAX closes, PM me.

Zionad on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Zionad wrote: »
    RISK PEOPLE RISK

If you are in Homewood Suites and want to play Risk late into the night after PAX closes, PM me.

Choosing Risk over Axis and Allies? For shame.

Though in all fairness I haven't played the new Risk so I suppose it could be that good.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what do you mean 'new risk'?
    are you talking with the extra 'continents'?

there is no way we could successfully pull off a whole axis and allies game, risk alone could last 8 hours with enough people :mrgreen:

Zionad on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what do you mean 'new risk'?
    are you talking with the extra 'continents'?

there is no way we could successfully pull off a whole axis and allies game, risk alone could last 8 hours with enough people :mrgreen:

Axis and Allies is usually 4-6. Though we did once have an 8 hour game.

The new Risk is the one that came out early last year in the black box. It has different rules that supposedly makes it better and faster.

Though I still <3 Axis & Allies. My old apartment even had an extra list of tech upgrades plus house rules to make it more appealing to buy the chance at them.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hmm, have not heard of this black box risk.

Typical Axis & Allies games for me have lasted days, and in some cases, weeks!

Zionad on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Do you also play for pink slips?

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Do you also play for pink slips?

sounds dirty

Zionad on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Never have had a game go over 5 hours. And I have played a lot of games. If you are really worried about time limit just play Pacific it has a tendency to be closer to 3 hours a game.

If it wasn't for the fact that it is only 2 player I would love to recommend Battle Cry... I just love that game.

Anyone have Car Wars? :winky:

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    BichnKittenBichnKitten Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think we should get a PAX group and go to game works!! Just my opinion

BichnKitten on
    Yes...their real
  • Options
    edited August 2009

That can be done any weekend. PAX is only once a year. We should get a PA outing to Gameworks sometime after PAX though.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

There are already people talking about going Thursday night Pre-Pax. On Thursdays they do $10 all you can play cards from 10pm-Midnight.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I mentioned that earlier... $10 unlimited play at gamesworks Thursday nights... Also consider that we wouldn't have to finish a game of Axis & Allies in one night. You can stop, leave it, and pick it up the next night... It's not like a video game where you have to turn if off.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    thats true, but Id rather finish a game the night we start, and sometimes more interesting events happen at PAX after hours...

Zionad on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well... I'm not a drinker or partier. So I probably won't be participating in those other events. I'll probably play until I either pass out with a controller or dice in my hand, lol.

Redwingedblackbird on
This discussion has been closed.