As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[weeaboo bullshit] Shin-Chan :'(

Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC!Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey, welcome to this newest iteration of the anime thread! My name is Dac Vin, and I will be your host for the next 100 pages of discussion about moe, magical girls and mechas. Make yourself at home, and do not forget to suppress your power level as to not scare any newcomers.

Before we go in the thick of it, some stuff you need to know. First, no drama. Do not cause it, do not partake in it. ElJeffe lay it out in the following spoiler.
ElJeffe wrote:
Hi, I'm ElJeffe! You might know me from such mod actions as cleaning up gold-farming spam and jailing the fuck out of people. Today I'm here to talk to you about your new anime thread.

This is to be your new home for the next 100 or so pages. Here, you may discuss anime and things related to anime and whatever the fuck else people who are into anime do. Of course, hentai is beyond the scope of this thread, and anyway, what the fuck is wrong with the people who dig that shit, I mean seriously?

What you will not engage in here is retarded drama and bitching and whining. If you want retarded drama, go watch Desperate Housewives or Wife-Swap or something. This is to be a happy thread full of happy commentary. If I have to lock it for the same stupidity that raped the last incarnation, the anime thread will not be coming back.

(Said stupidity being, well, just search for any post Clawshrimpy made in the previous iterations and you'll see what I mean)

Second, One Piece discussion. There is now a thread for it - anything One Piece must be done there, and not here. Also a mod rule.

Also don't be a creepy pedo. Not a mod rule, although I wish it was.

Alright, now let's talk anime.

Places to get some legal anime

Special thanks to YamiNoSenshi for the hard work.
Alright, I went through several streaming sites and came up with this list. These are shows, movies, and OVAs you can watch in their entirety, for free, right now.
AnimeNewsNetwork.com:
Angelic Layer (dub)
Aquarion (dub & sub)
Baldr Force EXE (sub)
Bastof Syndrome (dub)
Best Student Council (dub)
Captain Harlock (sub)
Chance Pop Sessions (dub)
Code Geass R1 (dub & sub)
Cosmos Warrior Zero (dub)
Dear Boys/Hoop Days (sub)
Death Note (sub)
Fairy Musketeers/Otogi-Jushi (sub)
Fullmetal Panic 2nd Raid (dub)
Galaxy Express 999 (sub)
Galaxy Railways (dub)
Ghost Hunt (sub)
Girl's High (sub)
Glass Fleet (dub)
Glass Mask (sub)
Gun Frontier (dub)
Gundam 00 (dub)
Ikki Tousen (dub)
Jyu-Oh-Sei (dub & sub)
Kiddy Grade (dub)
Kite Liberator (movie, sub & dub)
Kurokami (dub)
Moonphase (sub)
Mr. Stain (dub)
Mushishi (dub)
My Beautiful Girl Mari (movie, dub)
Mysterious Cities Of Gold (dub)
Naruto (sub)
Natsu No Arashi (sub)
Natsume Yujincho (sub)
Neo Angelique Abyss + S2 (s)
Nurse Witch Komugi (dub)
Origin: Spirits Of The Past (movie, dub)
Ouran High School Host Club (dub)
Parasite Dolls (movie, sub)
Peach Girl (dub)
Ramen Fighter Miki (sub)
Ristorante Paradiso (sub)
Robotech Shadow Chronicles (movie, dub)
Saiyuki (dub)
School Rumble + 2nd Semester (dub)
Shikabane Hime (sub)
Shuffle (dub & sub)
Shugo Chara (sub)
Sin (movie, dub)
Skip Beat (sub)
Strain (sub)
Suzuka (dub)
Slayers + Slayers Next (dub)
Web Ghosts PiPoPa (sub)
xxxHolic (dub)

Joost:
Fist Of The North Star
Pretty Cure
Slam Dunk

Hulu:
Astroboy 2003
Gun Frontier
Speed Racer
Virus

Funimation:
Blassreiter (sub)
Burst Angel (dub)
Gad Guard (sub)
Gunslinger Girl 2 (sub)
Negima!? Spring & Summer (sub & dub)
Sasami (dub)
Save Me Lollipo (sub)
Tower of Druaga: Aegis Of Uruk (sub)

These are a few shows that are being kept up or still being released for streaming. There might be one in particular you guys like.
AnimeNewsNetwork.com:
Bleach (91/?, sub)
Eureka Seven (25/50, sub & dub) (New episode every day)
Kannagi (6/13, sub)
Kaasan Mom's Life (16/26, sub)
Honey And Clover (12/26, sub)
Naruto Shippuden (118/?, sub)
Saki (17/26, sub)

Funimation:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (current, sub)
Phantom (16/26, sub)

There's more of those, I'm sure, but it's hard to say with anything that's not being aired in Japan right now. These lists will only be accurate for so long, since some episodes are released and other get taken down after a while. But it at least gives you a good idea of what's available.

I haven't tackled Crunchyroll yet, since that will be a lot of work.

Edit: A lot of these are hosted multiple places. I just happened to do ANN first. I also tried not to include anime you have to pay for, either a membership or per episode.

Popular currently airing shows:

(Copied from Kelor's post)

Basquash: Think what would happen if Nike, Space Jam and Megas XLR had a threesome and Basquash was the bastard child. This is it's story.
Cross Game: Ko Kitamura is the son of a family who run a sports equipment shop and shares his birthday with Wakaba Tsukishima, whose family owns a batting range/cafe. Wakaba dotes on him and both families expect them to end up together, except for Wakaba's younger sister who feels Ko is trying to steal Wakaba from her. The series covers several years and features both a great story and oodles of character development.
Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood: Follows the story of two brothers, Edward and Alphonse who are trying to restore their bodies to normal after a failed attempt to resurrect their mother through alchemy. Reboot of the series beginning from the start and working through all the source material rather than branching off along it's own story.
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: Haruhi isn't like other girls. She's not interested in cooking, study or mundane things like shopping. Instead she wants to find the aliens, espers and time travelers of the world she is certain exist. New student Kyon gets dragged into her new club, the S.O.S Brigade that she starts along with several other students in her search for the paranormal.
Saki: Blushing school girls playing mahjong with theatrics that would make Death Note jealous sums up Saki nicely. Antics so over the top there is a decent chance it might grab you even if you don't understand how it works. Most of the people following it at the moment don't either as far as I know. (Although if you wish to know more about the game, ask Spectrum and/or Dac Vin about it, they're the knowledgeable of the lot.)
Aoi Hana: Akira is starting her first day at her prestigious new school when she runs into her childhood friend Fumi who has recently returned to the area with her family after moving away years before. Fumi is shy and bookish where Akira is open and cheerful and the series follows their lives, Fumi coming to grips her sexuality and Akira's attempts to support her in her endeavors. The director did both Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile which were both excellent, thus far this show has been as well.
Canaan: An adaption of a graphic novel on the Wii (428). Freelance writer Minoru and camerawoman Maria are at a festival in Shanghai when a gun battle erupts. During the events they run into an old friend of Maria's, Canaan. Titled after one of the lead characters, Canaan, who an assassin with synesthesia. Great production values and is the "action" show of the season.
Umineko: The year is 1986 and Kinzo, the head of the wealthy Ushiromiya family is close to death. The other members of the family converge on the island at which he lives for the annual conference where they divide up how his wealth will be divided upon his death. (why waste time right?) Battler Ushiromiya, son of Kinzo's second son Rudolf joins them for the first time in six years after the death of his mother. A typhoon traps them on the island, along with Kinzo's servants and his physician when people begin to die.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: Extensively researched and modeled out by the studio producing the series, Tokyo Magnitude shows the effects of the city of Tokyo being struck by an earthquake reaching 8 on the Richter scale. Teenager Mirai has been dragooned into taking her younger brother Yuki to a robot exhibition in Odaiba at the beginning of her summer holidays when the events unfold. Mirai is a great character and the way she acts is a perfect portrayal of a put upon teenager. Definately worth checking out.
Spice and Wolf 2: The second season of the show, it continues traveling trader Lawrence's journey with his apprentice, the centuries old wolf goddess Horo as he teaches (and learns) the tricks of the trade in a medieval style era. Odds are if you enjoyed the first season you'll enjoy the second. Hell the first season had an entire episode on beard culture. Keep in mind there was an OVA released between the two you'll want to catch before starting this.
Sora no Manimani: Saku Ooyagi likes his books. And solitude. And quiet. Unfortunately as a child he was plagued by a hyperactive girl who lived on the floor of his apartment building dragging him outside to climb trees or do things that definately do not involve his favourite hobbies. His family moved away and now he and his mother are moving back to the area so that he can attend school there. He plans to not attract to much attention, but not be so quiet that he's unnoticeable by the girls. And under no circumstances let the hyper girl know he's back in town.
Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: The third season of the series returns, once again following the antics of suicidal teacher Nozomu (who views everything in the most negative manner possible) and his class of misfit students. As always, references come a mile a minute and whatever it doesn't reference is satirized or parodied.
Onani Master Kurosawa: Actually a manga, and one that ended recently, but who cares. It begins with someone masturbating in the girls' toilet, and it ends... Well, just read it yourself. Recommended as a joke.

The Fall '09 preview is now out with the upcoming season's shows. Expect further updates as we get closer.

Genre Recommendations:
*juice for jesus wrote:
Giant Robots: Gunbuster
Romantic comedy: Nodame Cantabile
Slice of life/school life: Sketchbook Full Colors
Martial arts: Hajime no Ippo, Bamboo Blade
Romance drama: ef - a tale of memories
"Hard" sci-fi: Planetes
Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery: Tower of Druaga

*Chen wrote:
Action / Comedy: Great Teacher Onizuka
Slice of life / Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Romance: Honey & Clover
Slice of life / Supernatural: Natsume Yuujinchou
Action / Supernatural: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

*Slicer wrote:
Slice of Life: Honey & Clover
Comedy: Detroit Metal City
Comedy/Parody/Crazy Alternative History: Gintama
Long-running shounen fighting: Yu Yu Hakusho
Sports: Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit
Mecha: 08th MS Team

*redx wrote:
Mystery/Action/Comedy: Baccano!
mystery/science fiction : Denno Coil
Real Robot: Nadesco
Magic Girl: Nanoha A's
Drama/Mystery/Psycological: Monster
Slice of Life: Ichigo Mashimaro

*Horus wrote:
What category is Skip Beat! I was thinking something of the KawaiiiSoCute~~Funnyy ~~~*!!!!=3 Category

*Behemoth wrote:
Giant robots: Gundam 08th MS Team
Comedy: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Historical fiction/action: Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Comedy/sci-fi/historical fiction?: Oh! Edo Rocket
Horror/mystery: Mononoke

*Bad Kitty wrote:
Fantasy: Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokki
Supernatural: Mushishi
Fighting: Airmaster
Slice-of-life: Honey & Clover
Magical Girl: Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Epic Space Opera: Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Romance (manga): Mars
Post-apocalyptic slice-of-life (manga): Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Cafe Alpha)

*Ergandar wrote:
Action: Black Lagoon
Romance: Ouran High School Host Club
(manga): Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
Comedy: Azumanga Daioh

*Dizzen wrote:
Comedy: Potemayo
Romantic comedy: Ouran High School Host Club
Slice of life/school life: Sketchbook Full Colors
Economics drama: Spice and Wolf

*Olivaw wrote:
Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Robot: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
BEST EVER: Baccano!
OLDER THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE WATCHED YET BUT SHOULD
Samurai Champloo.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Big O.
G Gundam.

*Falx wrote:
Bounen no Xam'd: Lost Memories (Mecha/Sci-fi/Fantasy)
Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners (Action/Horror/Drama)
Kannagi (Rom-com/Drama)
Michiko to Hatchin (Action/Drama)
Minami-ke 1st and 3rd seasons, skip the 2nd one (Comedy/Slice-of-life)
Rideback (Mecha/Action)
Sketchbook ~full Color'S~ (Slice-of-life/...erm... it's good, just watch it)
To Aru Majutsu no Index (Action/Comedy)
Toradora (Rom-com/Drama)

*OtakuD00D wrote:
Giant Robots with charm, space bugs, a perfect ending and great animation: Gunbuster
Giant Robots with music and love triangles and missile spam: Macross
FABULOUS with giant robots: Code Geass
Giant Robots with PIERCE THE HEAVENS: Gurren Lagann
I AM GUNDAM: Gundam 00.
Slice of life (The only entry I'll ever put on), charming cast of characters: Azumanga Daioh
Sheer hilarity and randomness: Pani Poni Dash!

*ProfMoriarty wrote:
Code Geass <--- I don't know how to categorize this. Mechs doesn't do it justice, but neither does drama.
Mech: GaoGaiGar
Comedy: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
You Will Cry Like a Little Girl: Air

*CyborgZeta wrote:
Mech/Romance - Eureka Seven
Comedy - Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Action - Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo
Super Robot - GaoGaiGar
Mystery/Horror - Ghost Hunt
Additional - Overman King Gainer

*Chrono Helix wrote:
I would like to add Akagi and Kaiji to the list of recommendations.

*Kelor wrote:
Best sport series: Hajime no Ippo
Slice of Life: Honey & Clover
Comedy: Detroit Metal City
Giant Robots: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The odd one out pick? Let's Bible.
Sex starved Croatian fisherboy punches the female reincarnation of Jesus Christ unconscious so he can lose his virginity, ends up fighting the banjo wielding son of Lucifer, Santo.

*Frosteey wrote:
For lack of anyone else recommending it-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Way better than Air-Kanon: Kyon in the snow (Less chin version)
Shipping delight without a proper ending-School Rumble
Board games with pretty good music-Hikaru no Go
Polearms!-Moribito
Kuwabara playing basketball-Slam Dunk

*DragonPup wrote:
Fantasy: Moribito
Supernatural: Death Note
Slice-of-life: Azumanga Daioh(The manga, too)
Romance(with mecha...): Eureka 7
Post-apocalyptic: Tokyo Magnitude 8
Medieval/Renaissance: Spice and Wolf
Mecha(Real)/War story: Flag
Mecha(Comedy): Martian Sucessor Nadesico
In it's own catagory altogether: Baccano!

Trailers, videos and other fun things.
And thus, DISCUSS!

Also, back for popular demand:

SCHOOL DAYS CORNER

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT
"It's really THAT bad guys."
Dac Vin wrote: »
The story of STATE OF THE ART ROBOT and an anime called School Days

Everything began with this innocuous post while some people were discussing the latest in paedophile entertainment despite me not wanting it but no one reads the OP so nobody cared:
Now... Now that I have broadband hooked up here, should I marathon School Days? I feel like I have an obligation to.

Maybe it was just because those who cared weren't there to stop our friend, or just because he didn't give us time to stop him because fifteen minutes later, it had begun:
Goddammit I am turning of Styx to watch School Days. How fucked up must I be? Episode-by-episode reactions to follow.

We did our best to stop him (Apart from Spectrum who just didn't care about the suffering of others - you're seriously not helping your case here, chap!), but alas.
School days ep 1
Nothing too bad here. Makato has a little bit of a violent streak but nothing heinous yet. He's awkward as fuck though. Also Sekai is kinda fucked up. Don't have much of an opinion of Katsura yet. To episode 2 we go!
School days Ep 2
Ok Makato is kinda fucked up in the head and Sekai is also very strange. I mean she is one step away from sexual assault with Katsura. I... am weary to go to episode 3. With that, on to episode three!
School days ep 3
Fucking wonderful. Here I was, ready to write off this series as all hype and at the end of episode three Makato tells Sekai he is getting tired of Katsura. This is only going to go downhill from here. To episode four but first a beer to go along with it.
School days ep 4
Ok something is fucked here. Sekai lets Makoto feel her up for practice for Katsura? Fucking god dammit. Ep 5 is next.
School Days ep 5
Wonderful. This can only end in a trainwreck. Gonna take a break for a few and to episode 6.
School days ep 6
Goddamn Makoto is a cold bastard. This is a giant shitstorm ready to blow up.
School days ep 7:
Goddamn so much fucked up shit. Makoto stringing along Sekai AND Katsura. I mean... just... FUCK!
Welp. Starting school days 8
Ok I just paused it here in the middle to say something:
WHAT THE FLYING FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS SCHOOL THAT THEY HAVE A ROOM FOR SEX BUILT INTO THEIR FESTIVAL THING!?!?
school days ep 8:
god fucking dammit Setsuna. You have to go and make this even more fucked up.
Oh god ep 9
Great. Now we add a fourth girl to the mix. This is just a cavalcade of fucked up decisions. Just.... FUCKING HELL THIS ANIME IS DOUBLE FUCKED UP!
You know, I could cut my losses right now. Right the fuck now and not expose myself to more scars, because I know the worst is yet to come.

*Clicks episode 10 link*
Ep 10:
Everything has hit the fan. Sekai found out about Makato cheating on her with... well... everyone and Katsura wants to see bot Makoto and Setsuna with what looks like murderous intent. Maaaaan.

Edit: Ep 11:
So Sekai is pregnant and Makoto is cheating on her with Katsura... again. Fucked up, fucked up.
Ep 12:
Oh god. Sekai came at Makoto with the knife...then Katsura CUT OPEN SEKAI TO SEE IF THERE WAS A CHILD IN THERE AND ALSO CARRIES AROUND MAKOTO'S HEAD AND.... I need fucking help. I should just stick to pro wrestling.

Nice boat though.
I don't know how many times I said 'Fucking goddammit" while watching the series. Oh well sweet sweet thrash metal will wash away the pain.
Put this in the OP for School Days:

It's really THAT bad guys.

Nice Boat indeed. Let this be a warning for the future populace.

Thetheroo

Henroid
First, about 20 posts through out of "I don't see what the big deal is."
Henroid wrote: »
Okay done with School Days!

Fatal3RR0R
Fatal3RR0R wrote: »
So I didn't heed the warnings about school days and decided to watch school days anyway, I know now what horrible mistake that was.

Its not worth it, its just not.

From my insane gibberish in the #mafia channel.
There is no uphill or downhill in this anime. Just a flaming train going off a hill into the ocean below, while a really nice boat sails by!

As of Thursday, the 3rd of September of the year 2009, Dac Vin has not watched a single episode of School Days.

Dac Vin on

• Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, of all the weeks I had to be absent, it had to be Comiket week.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »

It's okay, there was really nothing of worth but the two new Touhous. They really did a number on SWR though. Not sure it's exactly balanced, but every single character has their own system card now along with the move and balance changes, so there's a bloody lot to take in.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just watched the first episode of Saki.

Shallow as a puddle and I have no idea what is going on in the matches. Yet I... like this. Hisa is particularly nice.

Suriko on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Whoops, heh I post a spoilerish video right below the guy who just started watching Saki.

I guess I'll put this here instead.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMenThq2HAI&

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So who makes anime besides the Japanese and their Korean animators? Copying the style and stories, I mean. China makes a good imitation but what about South American countries? European countries? I saw a Mexican comic book at the library style drawn in a manga style - looked rough but I was surprised to see it.

Especially surprising and at the same library, there was a Sandman comic book spinoff drawn out like a manga. Story and art were horrible.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401203132/thethrillindetec

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

It's okay, there was really nothing of worth but the two new Touhous. They really did a number on SWR though. Not sure it's exactly balanced, but every single character has their own system card now along with the move and balance changes, so there's a bloody lot to take in.

Fifty fucking pages of Touhou. I don't think you mentioned out of how many pages it was, but still, Touhouket indeed.

setrajonas: some trailers for upcoming anime were released during that time too, most notably both the Nanoha and the Fate/Unlimited Blades Works movie. You should see if something fancies you in these.

emnmnme: Avatar: The Last Airbender is the one example in my mind - though it's basically anime with a ridiculous budget.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There has been a lot of publishing companies world wide moving towards manga style adaptions of already published children's books into graphic novels. (I sort of hate that term, just call it a comic and be done with it)

The art style is something that seems to be creeping inside western media though. You've got Avatar and a lot of cartoons that borrow the style. That recent Transformers series for example.

I deal with libraries frequently and many of them have been buying those in an effort to encourage high school kids who have difficulty reading normal books. Off the top of my head there are series of James Bond, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride and at least a half a dozen of Shakespeare's works. The pictures supposedly make it less intimidating for them to read.

The first two are well done and the Maximum Ride one they actually hired an manga artist to handle the art style, so stylistically it looks like something out of Jump, whereas the first two are more normal.

Kelor on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Especially surprising and at the same library, there was a Sandman comic book spinoff drawn out like a manga. Story and art were horrible.

This is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009

Fifty fucking pages of Touhou. I don't think you mentioned out of how many pages it was, but still, Touhouket indeed.

Actually, from what I heard, NicoNico is what caused this Comiket to be total fucking chaos. They've become popular as fuck with the really young kids as of late so there were tons and tons and tons of children with their parents running around and turning what was already a crowded abysmal mess into mobbing disaster.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

This is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.
    Yeah, I've read the one that's basically the third arc of the story turned into a manga, and it's really not that great.Not unreadable, but it lacks Gaiman's touch in the worst way possible.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looks like you can see the first few minutes of First Squad here, at a film festival's site.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

setrajonas: some trailers for upcoming anime were released during that time too, most notably both the Nanoha and the Fate/Unlimited Blades Works movie. You should see if something fancies you in these.

emnmnme: Avatar: The Last Airbender is the one example in my mind - though it's basically anime with a ridiculous budget.

Yea, I just got around to watching those the trailers. UBW is looking looked particularly nice in the art/nimation side of things, if nothing else.

Regarding Sandman spin-offs, Yoshitaka Amano illustrated a Gaiman-written short story, The Dream Hunters, which was quite excellent. I don't know if you'd really consider Amano's art style to be quite the same though.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So suddenly I feel like watching some Lupin III.

I've only seen Castle of Cagliostro, nothing else. Someone recommend me something!

Slicer on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to see more Lupin films myself

Castle of Cogliostro ruled all over the place

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Castle of Cogliostro ruled all over the place

Not much of a Lupin fan, but that movie was great.

Suriko on
  • Options
    SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ponyo was a very happy movie.

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

I've only seen Castle of Cagliostro, nothing else. Someone recommend me something!

Watch some of the series again, I prefer it to anything else besides CoC.

What a great series.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goddamn there are a lot of Gundam 00 parody OPs. I have a feeling some people might appreciate this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAzydvbZbsM&

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That was rather wonderful.

I was waiting for Ali as Ladd though, it was just inevitable.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Regarding Sandman spin-offs, Yoshitaka Amano illustrated a Gaiman-written short story, The Dream Hunters, which was quite excellent. I don't know if you'd really consider Amano's art style to be quite the same though.
    The four page spread of Morpheus himself is one of the coolest paintings in the history of mankind.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    That was rather wonderful.

I was waiting for Ali as Ladd though, it was just inevitable.

Who was Claire, though? (The problem is that while he appears in the OP, he's never expressly named.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Has that Lupin/Conan crossover thing come out yet?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Goddamn there are a lot of Gundam 00 parody OPs. I have a feeling some people might appreciate this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAzydvbZbsM&

And people think Baccano's names are strange

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Six months ago.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

I am way behind on my anime watching aren't I.

What's it called so I can try and find it?

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

Just... don't.

Imagine what it could have been rather than what it was.

Greeper on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

Conan vs Lupin III

And it's not really that good. It's more of just a long Conan special where Lupin and Fujiko show up for about 10 minutes to putz around, then go "You're pretty cool, kid" and ride off into the sunset.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

Just... don't.

It can't be that bad. Can it?

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

Just... don't.

it could have been:

Conan: GASP THAT GUY IS DEAD AND SUPER JEWEL IS STOLEN.

Lupin: Kekeke.

Conan: Only LUPIN III could have stolen that jewel. I'm gonna catch him!

Lupin: You caught me kid, but I didn't kill anyone, just stole the jewel.

Conan: WHAT?! That means SOME SUPER BAD GUY must have killed him.

Lupin: Let's team up and kick his ass.

*They do*

Lupin: You're pretty cool kid, I'm off. *rides into the sunset*

Conan: He got away with the jewel! :(

but it wasn't.

Greeper on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Instead, it was the prince and the pauper, only with Ran.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It should have been more like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-dPupSnaF0

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

Just... don't.

it could have been:

*They do*

but it wasn't.

That makes me so sad

Because that would have been super cool

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is anyone else reading Billy Bat? The new chapter is out.
    I don't even know what the fuck, but this is shaping up to be Urasawa's best series yet!

I mean, Li'l Judas? I did not see that coming.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow that... that Daybreak video is... nicely animated? And... yep that's the only thing I can say about it that isn't going to be in a confused tone of voice.

Falx on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone know when GF is going to have the new One Piece thread up? The one linked in OP has been locked up already, and everyone's waiting on him to post the new epic OP for OP.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dunno, whenever he comes online again I guess, not too sure when that usually is.

Falx on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why not just make one yourself?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Speaking of which...

Yeah, months ago.

Just... don't.

it could have been:

*They do*

but it wasn't.

That makes me so sad

Because that would have been super cool

Well, my hopes and dreams are crushed.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I suppose that last post of mine wasn't really constructive at all, nor contributive. My apologies.

I've "caught up" with the big SJ series that I regularly watch, and I'm looking for smaller ones to get into. The last few short series I've seen are Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Gurren Lagann, and Samurai Champloo. Any recommendations on a "must see" short series? I'm not too genre picky, as long as it's really well made, I'll probably enjoy it.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.