As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bios not detecting HD

Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open thatTrap Door!Registered User regular
Turn off PC last night after using it all day, much like i have for the past few months, as im sure some of you even do.
Turn it on this morning and it won't detect my HD.
The HD works fine, i can hear it/feel it vibrating. ive changed cables/ports etc unplugged and replugged,
Put on the 1.5 jumper, did nothing to help.
I've tried googling to no avail.

500gb Seagate SATA
MB is an Asus P5QL Pro.

Also booting up seems slow, getting up to the post screen seems to take longer than it should

HALP ME!

Ginger Mijango on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Motherboard failure imminent, possibly.

Other than that ominous prognostication, I'm no help, sadly :(

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it's detecting all the other (1) SATA devices, just tried resetting the bios but to no avail.
    Hope to hell it's not the MB dying.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Huh. Maybe the hard drive is failing instead, then. This may be better or worse, depending what's on said hard drive.

What happens if you try swapping the places of the two hard drives?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the other device is a DVD burner and when swapping the HD remains undetected.

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It doesn't show up in BIOS at all?

Maybe the hard drive is failing, then.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's probably some component of the HDD failing then, not your motherboard.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You have been hit by a problem with the 7200.11 SATA seagate drives. It is NOT dead and is recoverable:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807

Follow the instructions there and you can save it yourself (there was a similar thread about this not too long ago). Otherwise, you can send it in to Seagate to have it fixed.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    TelMarine wrote: »
    You have been hit by a problem with the 7200.11 SATA seagate drives. It is NOT dead and is recoverable:

Follow the instructions there and you can save it yourself (there was a similar thread about this not too long ago). Otherwise, you can send it in to Seagate to have it fixed.

Wow, that's a pretty serious error.

Given a choice between soldering and sending to Seagate, I'd pick Seagate...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ronya wrote: »

you actually don't have to solder anything.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ronya wrote: »

Yeah, unless you've messed around with components I would send it to Seagate, because if you solder it wrong, game over.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fixing it myself seems to be more of a pain than it's worth.
    I'll just fire it off to seagate.

Thanks for the help.

Ginger Mijango on