As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Want to Pickle Things

Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a garden full of cabbages, tomatoes and okra in need of pickling. Anyone have recipes, experiences, tips, etc? I've no idea what to do. I attepted to google pickling, but the recipes seem needlessly complicated for my virgin brain.

I'd also be open to other ideas in regards to what to do with the excess veggies. Ketchup? Salsa? Marital aides? Can I make tomato-based liquor? I am open to any and all ideas.

The breakdown:
1) Two fullly stocked tomatoe plants. Most of the tomatoes are still green.
2) 6 cabbage plants about ready for a pickin.
3) About three or four okras already harvested, plus a few more still growing on the plant.
4) 1 broccolli plant that should be ready in a week or so (his brothers didn't make it).

Richard_Dastardly on

• Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Good Eats Pickle episode is a good primer on how to make pickles. You can find it on youtube.

While not exactly a pickle, you can make sauerkraut with the cabbage, and is not too hard to make.

Musan on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aw no way!

My wife loves her some saurkraut. She'll be happy to hear this.

I forgot to mention: She has a little bit of pickling experience. She's made kimchi which, from what I gather, is like pickling but far more rank.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    shirt.jpg

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1) Two fullly stocked tomatoe plants. Most of the tomatoes are still green.

Make some tomatoe sauce... all fresh like and delicious. You can keep the unused parts frozen for a year.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Homemade ketchup is pretty easy to make, and tastes so much better than the bottled stuff.

I use this recipe, which calls for canned tomatoes, but you could probably use fresh ones just as easily.

Also, I added a little bit of ground allspice, mustard, and white pepper.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could turn some of the cabbage into tasty, tasty kimchi

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Traditional-Napa-Cabbage-Kimchi-233839

bruin on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Salsa, or some delicious saurkraut. Or saurkrauts sweeter friend, braised cabbage in beet juice.

Stewed tomatoes work out deliciously for chili later in the year!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SmallLady wrote: »
    shirt.jpg

PSSHHH! Away with ye, hater! The pickle in a burger is like the cherry on a sundae!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507