Options

Discworld! (Terry Pratchett has passed away; world cries a collective "Buggrit.")

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    opps. wrong one.

Anyway, discworld.

How long till the University book now?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    why would the timeline change with thief of time
    All time collapsing, remember.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    didn't really collapse, just froze, and anyway it was rebuilt the same

Raneados on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It was repaired actually and there were a few... Fractures.

Edit: This is actually referring to events we are only told about in the book but do not witness.

Road Block on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Road Block wrote: »

Edit: This is actually referring to events we are only told about in the book but do not witness.

Night Watch also confused the timeline slightly, replacing Keel with Vimes and altering history slightly so the alternative reality bubble with Vimes in could fit nicely into the existing timeline.

Ive never thought of there being any persistent timeline to be honest. Things happen in an order but generally one book comes after the next. With exception to Small Gods its generally accepted that the publication order is the timeline order.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think Pratchett would be fairly amused by any serious attempts at setting up a timeline. There's really no need for one.*

*Yes, I know, this is the internet. People do timelines for fucking Zelda games.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    no time was okay with night watch
    they even say that everything was still the same, just some of the edges and fringes got changed, which really isn't important

Keel still existed, his body was still found that day
    Snapcase was patrician
    reg shoe still died

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »

Night Watch also confused the timeline slightly, replacing Keel with Vimes and altering history slightly so the alternative reality bubble with Vimes in could fit nicely into the existing timeline.

Ive never thought of there being any persistent timeline to be honest. Things happen in an order but generally one book comes after the next. With exception to Small Gods its generally accepted that the publication order is the timeline order.

I always read it that Night Watch was some of the confusion that Thief of Time talked about, not really a separate incident.

Did you read the end of the book?
    Lobsang/Jeremey/Time Mk.2 had to shatter the entirety of Time because it had been frozen by the clock. Several mentions are made that he isn't sure he can restore everything perfectly. He does the best he can but you end up with weird shit like the Dysk and the Opera House coexisting.

Now add in that this is the second time a glass clock has been built and Time shattered and rebuilt. The first time the rebuilding was done only by the History Monks, not an anthropomorphic personification of Time. The timeline is a little fucked.

Finally Thief of Time was inspired by people trying to create a timeline and noting inconsistencies. Pratchett's response was to write a novel which excused the whole affair. Since I like the novel, I thoroughly approve.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I always read it that Night Watch was some of the confusion that Thief of Time talked about, not really a separate incident.

Did you read the end of the book?
    Lobsang/Jeremey/Time Mk.2 had to shatter the entirety of Time because it had been frozen by the clock. Several mentions are made that he isn't sure he can restore everything perfectly. He does the best he can but you end up with weird shit like the Dysk and the Opera House coexisting.

Now add in that this is the second time a glass clock has been built and Time shattered and rebuilt. The first time the rebuilding was done only by the History Monks, not an anthropomorphic personification of Time. The timeline is a little fucked.

Finally Thief of Time was inspired by people trying to create a timeline and noting inconsistencies. Pratchett's response was to write a novel which excused the whole affair. Since I like the novel, I thoroughly approve.

Yeh Thief of time is one of the few standalone discworld novels to come out in a while. The Truth doesn't really count as it goes towards the whole Ankh Morpork Industrial Revolution theme. But before that the last non-series novel was Small Gods.

Idoliside on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have the problem of having my entire collection in paperback. What this means is when a new book comes out I have to find it at the library to read and then wait a year to buy it when it comes out in paperback.

So question, is the UK the same as the US with holding out on the paperbacks? If I could import a UK paperback around the same time as Unseen Academicals comes out that would be awesome. And since the UK cover art tends to be much better, that would be double awesome.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Not really.

UK hardcover releases on Oct 1st according to amazon.co.uk. US release is the 6th.

It does have the better cover though. I wonder where the exchange rate is right now.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did anyone ever played Discworld Noir? Did you ever get the feeling the person who hired the voice actors had never read any of the books. Take Commander Vimes for example, he does not sound at all like that in the books!

I actually liked most of the voices in Discworld Noir. But they did do Vimes horribly. Both the voice and his visual representation are all wrong.

I always thought Discworld Noir was the best Discworld game, to be honest, as far as adventure goes anyway. Even the humour is more spot on. Maybe I just didn't like the cartoonishness of the Rincewind ones.

theSquid on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hatred? What are you talking about? Death doesn't hate anything but cruelty to cats. And the Auditors.

More along his hatred of everything cliche about Death
    Like in Reaper Man when the "new" Death showed up on a blazing skeletal horse. That's improbably and where in the stable would it sleep, it'd keep burning it down!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not really.

UK hardcover releases on Oct 1st according to amazon.co.uk. US release is the 6th.

It does have the better cover though. I wonder where the exchange rate is right now.
    Or you could just buy your copy from The Book Depository, who offer free international shipping.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    I have the problem of having my entire collection in paperback. What this means is when a new book comes out I have to find it at the library to read and then wait a year to buy it when it comes out in paperback.

So question, is the UK the same as the US with holding out on the paperbacks? If I could import a UK paperback around the same time as Unseen Academicals comes out that would be awesome. And since the UK cover art tends to be much better, that would be double awesome.

I have half my collection paperback, the over half hardback. I kinda wish i'd waited and bought the paperback one's. Easier to hold in bed.

I'm beginning to read my entire discworld collection from scratch again. There is an amazing constrast in writing styles between Colour of Magic and Making Money. Although the former is still a great read.

Idoliside on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thief of Time is the best book.

Its hilarious and serious and very crazy.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Not really.

Or you could just buy your copy from The Book Depository, who offer free international shipping.

Hmmm.....it's a shame where those dates fall on the calender. I'd likely end up waiting over a week to get the UK version.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two more Watch books and I would be ecstatic (I know it's being stupid and extremely unlikely), the one could be about a teenage Vimes son and Vimes, the other about Carrot.

Because I became slightly annoyed when Carrot was relegated to back-up character after the first book, even though it's done incredibly well and I love Vimes, I still wanted Carrot to be given a more dominant role in the newer books.
    outside of him getting his ass kicked by a werewolf, which I found weird when he was able to knock out a stone troll with a punch and the trolls seem as though they would be stronger than werewolves

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The issue with Carrot is that telling stories from his perspective would totally change his character. Either he is Mr Magoo level of stupidly lucky or he is far far far more devious than he lets on.

While I think it's clearly the second the stories would come off differently if they were narrated by this manipulative mastermindish kind of guy.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The issue with Carrot is that telling stories from his perspective would totally change his character. Either he is Mr Magoo level of stupidly lucky or he is far far far more devious than he lets on.

While I think it's clearly the second the stories would come off differently if they were narrated by this manipulative mastermindish kind of guy.

I don't mean narrated by him, I mean, Vimes doesn't really narrate the series. I mean it could just have more to do with his story. I know he is meant to be a sort of parody of the "Hero" character, but he became ridiculously interesting through the books. He is obviously extremely intelligent and very devious, whilst also being very secretive about who he really is, but I'd like if something would happen to make him come out of his shell a little bit more.

Johannen on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

He's both - or rather, he isn't stupid, he's honest. Which Morporkians mistake for being stupid.

Iriah on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It could work if Pratchett writes it like he wrote Small Gods, Bruddah was slow, but he wasn't dumb.

Aldo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the fact that the two inner perspectives we don't get are Carrot's and Vetinari's. Their characters are so open to what they are actually thinking that tamping it down would lessen it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    outside of him getting his ass kicked by a werewolf, which I found weird when he was able to knock out a stone troll with a punch and the trolls seem as though they would be stronger than werewolves

Trolls have more to hit.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Trolls have more to hit.
    he hit the werewolf (Anguas brother) straight in the chest a few times and once in the head though.

Johannen on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Trolls have more to hit.
    he hit the werewolf (Anguas brother) straight in the chest a few times and once in the head though.

well he is undead, what do you expect?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If Vampire the Masquerade taught me anything, it taught me that Werewolves are, like, over 9000 in power level.

That and the werewolves can apparently be mutilated to death, regenerate, get his revenge, and laugh about it all in the same day. A punch isnt going to do much against people like that.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    One month before Unseen Academicals hits, cannot...wait!

Idoliside on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I used to get so much reading done on the bus, 4 hours a say, most of it Discworld. THat really helped. Thanks Terry.

I'm slightly embarassed to admit that now I travel by car, Discworld has become my toilet book. Just started Interesting Times, c an't remember a thing about it so its all fresh. Yay.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrIamMe wrote: »

I love the end, which is one of my very favourite closings in a book, both for the pun and the sentiment.
    Even with nougat you can have a perfect moment.

EDIT: Missed the spoiler tags. Playing it safe.

area on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I used to get so much reading done on the bus, 4 hours a say, most of it Discworld. THat really helped. Thanks Terry.

I'm slightly embarassed to admit that now I travel by car, Discworld has become my toilet book. Just started Interesting Times, c an't remember a thing about it so its all fresh. Yay.

There was usually at least one Discworld book next to our toilet when I was growing up. This was very appropriate when the Discworld Almanac came out :P

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Our bookshelf was in our bathroom when I was a kid, and it was lined with Pratchett novels, some of which were signed.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Been rereading Witches Abroad during my breaks in between class. I think I've always underestimated it. It has some seriously amazing bits in it, like the Thing With the Bulls, and Granny and the card sharps.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh god, the thing with the bulls is the best.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I found an excerpt for quick reading of The Thing With the Bulls.
    As far as Lagro te Kabona, innkeeper, could remember the events of that day, they seemed to happen like this:

It was the time of the Thing with the Bulls. And the mad women just sat there, drinking absinthe as if it was water! He tried to get them to come indoors, but the old one, the skinny one, just shouted at him. So he let them bide, but left the door open -- people soon got the message when the bulls came down the street with the young men of the village after them. Whoever snatched the big red rosette from between the horns of the biggest bull got the seat of honour at that night's feast plus -- Lagro smiled a smile of forty years' remembrance -- a certain informal but highly enjoyable relationship with the young women of the town for quite some time after...

And the mad women just sat there.

The leading bull had been a bit uncertain about this. Its normal course of action would be to roar and paw the ground a bit to get the targets running in an interesting way and its mind wasn't able to cope with this lack of attention, but that hadn't been its major problem, because its major problem had been twenty other bulls right behind it.

And even that ceased to be its major problem, because the terrible old woman, the one all in black, had stood up, muttered something at it and smacked it between the eyes. Then the horrible dumpy one whose stomach had the resilience and capacity of a galvanised tank of water fell backwards off her chair, laughing, and the young one -- that is, the one who was younger than the other two -- started flapping at the bulls as if they were ducks.

And then the street was full of angry, bewildered bulls, and a lot of shouting, terrified young men. It's one thing to chase a lot of bulls, and quite another to find that they're suddenly trying to run the other way.

The innkeeper, from the safety of his bedroom window, could hear the horrible women shouting things to one another. The dumpy one kept laughing and shouting some sort of battle cry -- "TrytheHorsemansWordEsme!" and then the younger one, who was pushing her way through the animals as if being gored to death was something that only happened to other people, found the lead bull and took the rosette off it, with the air of concern as an old woman may take a thorn out of her cat's paw. She held it as if she didn't know what it was or what she should do with it...

The sudden silence affected even the bulls. Their tiny little bloodshot brains sensed something wrong. The bulls were embarrassed.

Fortunately, the horrible women left on a riverboat that afternoon, after one of them rescued her cat which had cornered twenty-five stone of confused bull and was trying to toss it in the air and play with it.

That evening Lagro te Kabona made a point of being very, very kind to his old mother.

And the village held a flower festival next year, and no one ever talked about the Thing with the Bulls ever, ever again.

At least, not in front of the men.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    area wrote: »
    MrIamMe wrote: »

I love the end, which is one of my very favourite closings in a book, both for the pun and the sentiment.
    Even with nougat you can have a perfect moment.

EDIT: Missed the spoiler tags. Playing it safe.
    I hope we get to see more of what happened with Lobsang and Susan, i don't think they'd need an entire novel to themselves but i think that them having Death and Lobsang's parents round for dinner would make for an entertaining scene, at the very least Death and Time must be able to find something interesting to talk about

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Haha, so I just now got a (really blatantly obvious) joke in Witches Abroad that I've always missed before.

During the "Wizard of Oz" bit, after Magrat and Granny fought
    Magrat says that "SOME people need a bit more heart" and Granny replies that "SOME PEOPLE could do with more brains" and I always got that far. Then Nanny thinks to herself "I need a stiff drink."

And I always thought it was just Nanny Ogg being awesome as usual and left it at that. Only today did I realize that "stiff drink" = "liquid courage"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Haha, so I just now got a (really blatantly obvious) joke in Witches Abroad that I've always missed before.

During the "Wizard of Oz" bit, after Magrat and Granny fought
    Magrat says that "SOME people need a bit more heart" and Granny replies that "SOME PEOPLE could do with more brains" and I always got that far. Then Nanny thinks to herself "I need a stiff drink."

And I always thought it was just Nanny Ogg being awesome as usual and left it at that. Only today did I realize that "stiff drink" = "liquid courage"

Huh, funny i've read that book like 6 times and i'd never noticed! I'll chuckle next time i know that.

Idoliside on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Nah, like other said, he's not dumb, just simple.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.