As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So there's this girl at work.

DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Today we had some time apart, so we started chatting and it turns out we share a similar sense of humor, which is important to me. She is also very intelligent. She also made a few comments about how I'm so much smarter than another co-worker that is always trying to help only the hot chicks (we were complaining about him), which confused me, since it just came out of the blue and out of the context of the conversation.

So should I wait a bit before I ask her out? I want to ask her out very much, but 1) it feels too soon, and 2) i get a horrible feeling in my gut when I imagine how awkward it would be around work if she said no. :(

Should I try to casually find out if she already has a boyfriend? Any smooth ways of doing this? I'm thinking this also might work out in two ways, since she will probably notice whatever inquiry is made about her boyfriend, possibly figure out that I'm interested, and then I can gauge her response.

So:

1) Should I ask her out? If yes, when?

Thanks.

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Should I ask her out? If yes, when?

Maybe after you're no longer co-workers. Dating a co-worker makes problems that shouldn't be at a workplace, especially if it goes sour. That and your company's policy might forbid it, anyway.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You expect a company policy to stop true love?!?!?

But yeah, thats something to consider. I'll look into that tomorrow.

For now, though, let's assume that it is not against the rules.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No. Absolutely not. Do not dip your pen in the company ink.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    And I don't know how important this is, but we work at a bookstore part time. So its not like an office environment.

Also for some reason the top part of the OP is gone, but its not really important anyway. Just FYI in case it flowed weird.

• Options
    CheeriosCheerios Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Should I ask her out? If yes, when?

Maybe after you're no longer co-workers. Dating a co-worker makes problems that shouldn't be at a workplace, especially if it goes sour. That and your company's policy might forbid it, anyway.

If his current occupation is intended to be his career, then I will agree with your statement. Otherwise, if its just a retail position then who really cares?

I would say that you should wait until you have more than one conversation with her before initiating anything.....or at least you find out if she is single.

Cheerios on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would recommend not making a big deal of it. Just ask if she would like to grab lunch somewhere sometime or something. Start small. If she rejects you, no big deal, all you were doing was seeing if she wanted to get some food.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Esh wrote: »

I've been there. Don't do it. And, yes, I was in the exact situation you are now when it happened, working part-time at a bookstore. When things go bad, the work environment gets weird, even in retail.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just because a girl is nice to you and laughs does not mean she's interested in you.

If you remove gender from the equation in your head, has anything she's done really made you think asking her out is a good idea? If I asked out every female I thought was cute and funny and who was nice to me...whoa Nellie...

Take it slow. And since you work with her? TAKE IT REALLY SLOW.

This isn't middle school. Just let things happen. You'll KNOW if it's a mutual attraction or not.

Esh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It doesn't hurt to ask her out. I generally buy the 'don't play where you work' wisdom, but if this is some temp-ish retail position you aren't that invested in, why not go for it?

Worst case is she turns you down, and you're mildly uncomfortable for a day or two.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

I've been there. Don't do it. And, yes, I was in the exact situation you are now when it happened, working part-time at a bookstore. When things go bad, the work environment gets weird, even in retail.

Don't screw the crew. Golden rule.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also, seriously, if you are both adults about everything you don't need to worry about a bunch of dramatic bullshit if things go bad.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    It doesn't hurt to ask her out. I generally buy the 'don't play where you work' wisdom, but if this is some temp-ish retail position you aren't that invested in, why not go for it?

Worst case is she turns you down, and you're mildly uncomfortable for a day or two.

You think the worst case is two days of uncomfortable? Really? That's probably the wrongest thing I've heard all day.

Esh on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I used to work at a place with my wife before we got married. We'd been living together for years. We get along great, best friends and lovers yadda yadda.

Working together made us want to kill each other at times. Their were a couple of rides home after work (about a half hour commute) that were non-stop screaming matches.

If it's true love, or ya just gotta have her lusty parts, consider finding another job.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    Also, seriously, if you are both adults about everything you don't need to worry about a bunch of dramatic bullshit if things go bad.

In a perfect world? Sure. In the real world? Not likely.

Esh on
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Today we had some time apart, so we started chatting and it turns out (yada yada)

This will not end well.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

You think the worst case is two days of uncomfortable? Really? That's probably the wrongest thing I've heard all day.

that's nice

I suppose, OP, that the real worst case scenario is her freaking out, telling your boss you're stalking her, and whatever other weird circumstances you're able to think up. Or maybe you are both nominally well adjusted people, and asking a girl out who you think might be interested in you won't produce an adolescent chernobyl.

Of course walking around terrified of that outcome has a lot of negative consequences, like maybe missing out on dating this girl.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    "So there's this girl at work"

No. Just no. Whatever the post says, no.

Be friends. If you become good friends and then HAVE to be more than friends, fine. It's part-time retail, who cares. Until you're that close outside of work, you probably shouldn't.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, for fuck's sake, it's a part-time job at a bookstore. Ask her if she'd like to grab something to eat after work. If she says "no," move on with life. If she says "yes," grab something to eat after work with her.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Oh, for fuck's sake, it's a part-time job at a bookstore. Ask her if she'd like to grab something to eat after work. If she says "no," move on with life. If she says "yes," grab something to eat after work with her.

thanatos is with some sanity. thank god

Asking a girl out to dinner is not a crime and even if you later decide to be just friends then that turns into what was a dinner amongst friends.

No one says you have to make out with the girl at dinner. Sit down and talk, get to know each other, decide later. I have taken many a girl from work out to dinner and it is not as big a thing as people here are making it out to be.

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Asking a girl out to dinner is not a crime and even if you later decide to be just friends then that turns into what was a dinner amongst friends.

No one says you have to make out with the girl at dinner. Sit down and talk, get to know each other, decide later. I have taken many a girl from work out to dinner and it is not as big a thing as people here are making it out to be.
    Seriously, you're asking her to eat a meal with you, not proposing marriage.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah just ask her if she wants to do something after work or on a weekend or something. You don't have to put huge pressure on yourself by thinking its a "date". Its just you two hanging out, and if there is chemistry it will work itself out.

Despite what most people are saying I don't think its a big deal that you work together. Like you said... its part time at a book store. Not your career.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would usually go with the pen/ink advice - but a part time job is different. Plus book stores are a cliche re meeting women. For you not to at least try would be an insult to book stores everywhere

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Seriously, you're asking her to eat a meal with you, not proposing marriage.

Asking a coworker to grab a bite at some point is fine, but he's phrasing it (and he hasn't denied it yet) as straight up asking her out on a date. If he can casually pull it off as an unintimate get together with her, fine and dandy, but I don't think that's his intention at all.

OP, do not just blurt out "Would you like to go out sometime?". Have a few more little chats with her here and there, feel it out, and then if you still think it's a good idea, see if she wants to grab a bite after work or maybe there's some movie you both want to see.

Esh on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Should I try to casually find out if she already has a boyfriend? Any smooth ways of doing this?

Well, the way I see it, it can only go one of these two ways.

You: So, what have you got planned for the weekend?
    Her: Oh, just hanging with the boyfriend.
    You: Dang...

alternatively,

You: So, what have you got planned for the weekend?
    Her: Oh, not much.
    You: Cool. I was thinking of going to see Up (or something). Wanna come?
    Yes, I am aware things could play out in more ways than what's written above.

Trentus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't know why people always suggest a movie as a sort of casual first (or first few) date type thing. Isn't the point getting to know the girl better? With a movie, you are going to go and sit there for 2 hours paying attention to the movie. With a meal, you are going to be sitting there talking to each other and getting to know each other. I mean unless you both really want to see something, I would go with an activity where you are more free to actually interact with the other thing.

Plus lunch or something has the added benefit of being more casual.

Artreus on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    With a movie, you are going to go and sit there for 2 hours MAKING OUT!

Fixed that for you.

In all seriousness though, I was just thinking at the time how much I'd like to see Up. If I'd been thinking about rock climbing I probably would've written that.

Personally, I think a meal date is a horrible idea. I just cannot talk with food in my mouth (blame mum) and I take forever to chew my food. I'm a slow eater anyway, but if I try to have a conversation at the same time it just takes forever. It might work for other people, but not me. I have no problem talking during a film though...

Trentus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Trentus wrote: »
    With a movie, you are going to go and sit there for 2 hours MAKING OUT!

Fixed that for you.

In all seriousness though, I was just thinking at the time how much I'd like to see Up. If I'd been thinking about rock climbing I probably would've written that.

Personally, I think a meal date is a horrible idea. I just cannot talk with food in my mouth (blame mum) and I take forever to chew my food. I'm a slow eater anyway, but if I try to have a conversation at the same time it just takes forever. It might work for other people, but not me. I have no problem talking during a film though...

Which, unless you are in your home, makes you an asshole. Talking or making out during a movie is incredibly disruptive and annoying to everyone around you. Movies these days are expensive as hell and I wouldn't want that kind of distraction.

Most people seem to have no problem talking during a meal. It is what humans have done for millenia. Seriously. Eating together is a sort of ancient bonding thing. What you do is, you don't talk with food in your mouth! That would not be classy. Chew your food, swallow it, and speak. When you are done with whatever you are saying, eat. Then you can listen to what she is saying.

You being incapable of talking in that situation does not make it a horrible idea.

Artreus on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    movie dates are awesome

Awk on
  • Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I dated a co-worker for a year.

Broke up.

Guess who I see 5 times a week and don't want to? It makes getting over the relationship rather... difficult to say the least.

Now, I'm not saying don't go for it, but just keep that in mind.

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My gf and I work together in different departments at a company of >200 people. It's been about a year and a half, and I couldn't be happier. We've never argued about work, and it's nice to vent to someone about coworkers that she actually knows. I like that I get to see her all the time too :)

It can work out.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ruzkin wrote: »

Don't shit where you eat!

Sure, one or two people in your entire life will have some anecdote about how they found true love in a coworker... but it just doesn't happen.

Nothing can kill a relationship faster than absolutely no time apart.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Today we had some time apart, so we started chatting and it turns out (yada yada)

This will not end well.

These points cannot be limed ENOUGH!!

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

That's also good advice for a dinner date.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He has a part-time job in a bookstore! If he is anything like myself, or any of my friends he will be working somewhere else in a year. He is young, so it is possible he will also have a different girlfriend in a year.

This is not your career, go ahead and ask her out. If she is a little interested she will go. If you start dating, then be careful about feeling trapped into that Part-Time job because your girlfriend likes to work with you every 3-4 days.

Buddies on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Buddies wrote: »
    He has a part-time job in a bookstore! If he is anything like myself, or any of my friends he will be working somewhere else in a year. He is young, so it is possible he will also have a different girlfriend in a year.

This.

If he were in his 30's, climbing the ladder in the corporate world, and considering asking out one of his subordinates, I would completely agree with the louder voice in this thread. However, he is not. It's a part time job at a bookstore, for fuck's sake. I would bet that if he and this chick hit it off, the relationship will last longer than the job.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    I dated a coworker once. After we stopped seeing each other it wasn't awkward because neither of us made it awkward.

And plus, like others have said, it's a part time job at a bookstore. It's not like he's on his ultimate career path here.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    ruzkin wrote: »

Sure, one or two people in your entire life will have some anecdote about how they found true love in a coworker... but it just doesn't happen.

Nothing can kill a relationship faster than absolutely no time apart.
    i'm pretty sure dating someone is in no way similar to shitting (unless you like that sort of thing)

i'm going to agree with the crowd who's saying go for it since this is just a part time job at a bookstore.....if she turns you down things will NOT be that awkward for very long, and if you do start dating and things DO turn out bad then it's just a part time job at a bookstore...you can find another job or deal with it for the 15 hours you're there during the week...if this were a career i would agree that it's a dumb idea...but in your situation, go for it

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I'm going to go for it.

Anyone have an idea as to when? Should I wait a week or something? Let her have more time to get comfortable with me? Or should I just ask when I see her today?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you are going to ask her, now is as good a time as any (unless her puppy just died).

"Hey! It's lunch break time! I'll buy you corn dogs, gurl!"

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have you ever thought you might be reading too much into a passing comment about how you seem smarter than the guys who do nothing but hit on girls? It sounds like nothing more than friendly coworker talk.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.