As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Editing a DVD

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been given this training DVD from our corporate headquarters. It's not copy protected. I've been asked to turn one of the chapters into a shorter version for our "busy executives". No problem, I think. I run it through Handbrake and turn it into an AVI. Put the AVI into Windows Movie Maker and it can't read it. Crap. It will play in VLC. I checked Handbrake and WMM, and it seems the only format they have in common is AVI. Anyone have any suggestions?

Of course, this is for a meeting that is in 3 hours o_O

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AVI is not a file format, it's a container for what could be any format. You'll have to rip it in handbrake to something windows movie maker can use, preferably WMV since that's what Movie Maker will end up outputting to anyway.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks wunderbar, I didn't realize that. Handbrake only shows 4 video codec options; H.264 (x264), m-peg4 (xvid), m-peg4 (ffmpeg), and vp3 (theora). Will any of those work? Xvid seems the most vanilla, so I'm going to try that. I'm trying AutoMKV right now as well.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162