As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Earn Money - Directly to PayPal

Steve BennettSteve Bennett Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, this might sound a bit weird, but I assure you, it's nothing illegal - not in the slightest.

I want to get money into a PayPal account without using bank account means (credit card or bank account). Is there a way to do it? Perhaps by doing some online job that will pay directly into PayPal?

Just curious. Again.. nothing illegal. Thanks.

Steve Bennett on

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    can you use a prepaid American Express Gift Card?

Deebaser on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have you considered opening a second bank account specifically for PayPal? I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but this doesn't make a lot of sense if you're trying to somehow protect your money from chargebacks.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He may be trying to go "off the grid" in some ways. A PayPal account doesn't necessarily need to be linked to any identifying information, so theoretically it could be set up in such a way that it would be very difficult to trace it back to you.

Of course, maybe that's not what he's doing. But even if it was, he's not likely to admit that here. ;)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wish that were the case.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It could simply be that he's trying to buy a gift for someone who shares the bank account.

There are a couple ways to get things into Paypal, and as far as the "job" sense goes, by far the easiest is to simply sell something on eBay. It's the only way to easily get funds into Paypal without it showing up in your bank accounts otherwise. Other methods involve withdrawing cash, transferring it to a secondary card, or other things that involve, well, "being obvious" about doing something with money.

But you're pretty limited when it comes to what you can sell and how much you can sell it for. Anyway, that's how I would attempt it if I needed to get money into *just* paypal, unless it was a lot of money in which case I would probably reconsider what it was I was being sneaky about.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Isn't that...what's the word?

Illegal?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got a solution for you.
    Just take fifty in cash out of the bank. Put that into one of those security envelopes.
    Mail that $40 to me. Once I get the $20, I'll deposit all $10 to my paypal, then I'll gift you the entire five dollars to your paypal account. No direct link between your bank and paypal at all.

But seriously, you really could give money to someone you trust that has a paypal account and have them gift your paypal account the equilvent cash.
    Also, just remembered. There are, some online survey things that pay directly to paypal, and I think things like Bing cashback, and Fatwallet's cash back also payout to paypal. So you could purchase things in a normal fashion thru their cashback links, and then latter monies would be available to be deposited to paypal.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could have a friend 'donate' it to you. That is what we do at work for lunch. one guy will buy it on his credit card and everyone else will send him what they owe to his paypal account.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rhino wrote: »
    You could have a friend 'donate' it to you. That is what we do at work for lunch. one guy will buy it on his credit card and everyone else will send him what they owe to his paypal account.

Doesn't Paypal charge like 5%? Why not just take turns?

TL DR on
  • RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rhino wrote: »

Doesn't Paypal charge like 5%? Why not just take turns?

Yes, there rates are high.

I don't know. I'm ussually not in on it. The rare times I do, I'm the one sending the paypal. They like doing it, I don't know why. But yea; it's like giving paypal 5% of your lunch.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Lots of online invoicing software and ecommerce software allows for payment directly into paypal, so if working is an option I guess you could do some freelance work of somesort and invoice the client that way. Heck, you could even do some gardening work and invoice your client via online invoicing software. Or just agree that they will pay you via paypal.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Having never used Paypal before, I sold some Magic Online cards for US$700 or so and recieved the money on a new Paypal acct. When I tried to withdraw the money, Paypal locked down my acct and told me they needed to verify my address and credit card for legal reasons. Doing some research on the issue, I found it's not uncommon for them to do this.

I'd suggest that you're asking for trouble if you plan on moving any significant amount of money through Paypal without a credit card tied to the acct for 'verification' purposes.

Raern on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    can you use a prepaid American Express Gift Card?

No.

It's pretty odd. You would think there would be a service where they "sell" you credits that you can use for online purchases.

TL DR on
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Even PayPal gift certificates require you to have an account on file prior to redemption.

The best way to get money into a PayPal account is to have someone pay you from their PayPal account. This can be because you offered them a service, sold them an item or, as Rhino mentioned, bought them lunch.

There's a very good reason that PayPal wants to know who you are and where money is coming from. They are more strict on money laundering than your bank is ever going to be.

onceling on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Money laundering is one part of it -- there's also risk.

Money going into a Paypal account either got there from another Paypal account, or it got there from an automated clearing house (ACH) transaction or a payment card transaction. Both of those are reversable. If PayPal debits money from your account (because you told them to, because they are recovering funds to cover a dispute or chargeback, etc.) you can tell your bank the transfer was unauthorized and have the money returned. (Time limit is 30 days for a consumer demand deposit account, or only 1 day for a business account.) If PayPal charges a payment card, customers have chargeback rights they can invoke. (If Visa or MasterCard, 3 months for a "check card" that draws from a demand deposit account; 6 months for a "credit card".)

PayPal needs to protect themselves from risk of loss whenever you ask them to transfer money. If someone were to:
    1) fund PayPal account A using an ACH draft
    2) use PayPal account A to pay some money to PayPal account B
    3) transfer funds from PayPal account B to a local checking account via ACH
    4) wait until PayPal's ACH deposit reached account B's local bank account
    5) go to the bank that funded account A and dispute the ACH debit as unauthorized
    . . . then essentially they would have defrauded PayPal out of that money. PayPal would have no automatic, easy way to recover those lost funds, and would have to rely on more costly and unreliable methods (civil or criminal claims of some kind) to try to recover the money.

PayPal can defend against the tactic described above by making sure at least 30 days have passed since account A was funded before letting any of that money exit their system in any unrecoverable way.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
This discussion has been closed.