As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help the PAX Photo Patrol Document PAX!

papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Each year, the Penny Arcade Expo brings together videogame enthusiasts from around the world in celebration of the medium. However, there's a few problems: Its scope is so grand that a single person can't experience it all, not everyone is able to attend, and the experience is fleeting.

pppforumbannertranspare.jpg

Therefore, I have created the PAX Photo Patrol to help share the Penny Arcade Expo experience with the world through photo, video and story. But I can't do it alone. I am in need of your help! You, the one with the small handheld camera. You, the one with the video camera! The PAX Photo Patrol wants you to help document PAX!

The process is easy: Upload your videos/photos to Youtube, blip.tv, Flickr, etc., and post them either here in this thread, or in the appropriate forum over at the PAX Photo Patrol's home, www.paxphotopatrol.net. In the latter case, PAX Photo Patrol staff would then happily post it to the front page.

The Photo Patrol will be documenting the Penny Arcade Expo in two ways, depending on how you wish to help out:

Document the Penny Arcade Expo as a Photo Patrol Freelancer.
This is the most accessible option for PAX attendees. As a Freelancer for the Photo Patrol, you would bring your still or video camera to the Penny Arcade Expo and shoot/film whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want.

Document the Penny Arcade Expo as a Photo Patrol Volunteer.
Like the PAX Enforcer does for Penny Arcade, the Volunteer goes to work for the Photo Patrol, chiefly shooting video at panels and other PAX events. The Volunteer adheres to a schedule of his or her choosing, and shoulders the burden of documenting PAX for the masses.
Posted below is the 3-day schedule of events for the Penny Arcade Expo, and below each event slot are empty slots for Photo Patrol Volunteers to fill their names in. Each event needs at least one Volunteer to serve as a videographer, while photographer Volunteers are also encouraged to attend. Some events are more interesting than others as a general rule, and I will offer my advice on which you may be more interested in Volunteering to cover. Some events - especially those held in the Main Theater - require or benefit from multiple Volunteers. These events are the main focus of the PAX Photo Patrol. It is our aim to cover as many of these events as possible with videographers at the very least.

Be advised that in order to attend any given event, it is wise to inspect the line leading into the room at least one hour beforehand, and in 15-minute increments leading up to the event. Larger events such as those held in the main theater often require you to arrive much earlier than an hour before the beginning of the event in order to get a good spot. Additionally: Many of these events are often filled to capacity, leaving late arrivals out in the hallway.

If you wish to cover any one or more of these events as a Volunteer, post a reply in this thread stating your intention to do so. I will then add your name to the slot of your choosing. A description of each panel can be found on the PAX site: http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.php

friday09schedulecopy.png
saturday09schedulecopy.png
sunday09schedulecopy.png

PLEASE ALSO FEEL FREE TO FREELANCE AND DO YOUR OWN PHOTOGRAPHY. The Exhibition Hall, for instance, is ripe for many photographic opportunities.

THE OMEGATHON
In most cases, Omegathon events benefit from multiple camera operators. This will be especially true for events where players' screens are projected onto a screen. The crowd reactions to the on-screen action will also make for better footage for video camera operators.
Omegathon Round 1: Mario Kart Wii
Can benefit from multiple camera operators. The Photo Patrol is encouraged to have at least two people covering this event.
Omegathon Round 2: Bookworm Adventures
The most likely to be boring, and the most unlikely candidate for coverage. If one feels compelled to attend, only one camera operator ought to be necessary.
Omegathon Round 3: Halo 3 ODST
Will most certainly benefit from multiple camera operators. Multiple people are encouraged to cover this event.
OMEGATHON ROUND 4: TBA RHYTHM GAME
As a PHOTO PATROL EVENT, we will most certainly need multiple camera operators covering this event. As many people as wish to do so are highly encouraged to cover this event. As is the custom, you will probably need a wristband to get inside, which means you'll need to line up early to get into PAX when they tend to hand them out. If you get a wristband, be sure to arrive to the Main Theater an hour early if you want a decent spot, an hour and half or more early if you want good spots. The further you are away from the stage, the tinnier your sound quality will be. It is recommended that you bring a monopod or some such other device that will allow you to rest your arms while filming over people's heads.
Omegathon Round 5: Connect Four
Though entertaining to see in person, these matches can go on for long periods of time and are not good video candidates. Minimal coverage is suggested.
THE FINAL ROUND OF THE OMEGATHON
The biggest event of PAX 09. For this event, we want as many Photo Patrol agents as possible in that Main Theater. Arrive very early (at least an hour and a half beforehand). It is highly recommended that you bring a monopod or some such other device that will allow you to rest your arms while filming over people's heads.

EVENTS SCHEDULE
The Photo Patrol also organizes special events involving either photography at PAX or simply hanging out together.

THE 3000-MAN KNUCKLE CRACK IN SURROUND SOUND
WHERE: Main Theatre
WHEN: Friday, 2pm
TIP: Get in line by at least 12:00pm, recommended 11:30am, at the Main Theatre for the PAX 2009 1:00pm Keynote. The Penny Arcade Panel 1 will occur immediately after the keynote. The theatre will not empty between the keynote and the PA panel.)
INFO: Each year during one of the Penny Arcade Panels, a beloved/reviled tradition begun by Porkfry is renewed: That of the 3000-Man Knuckle Crack. It is just as it sounds: On cue, everyone in the Main Theater cracks their knuckles simultaneously. It is at once both blood-curdling and delicious. But it is not something that either Tycho or Gabe prompts the crowd to do: They must be reminded by a requester at the mic in one of the aisles during one of their Q&A panels. It is the intention of the Photo Patrol to place its agents in the crowd this year in the front-left, back-left, front-right, back-right, and center aisles in anticipation of recording the audio of this event. After PAX concludes, the Photo Patrol conspirators who participate in this event will then create a 5-channel surround mix to be placed in the video stream of whomever's video is used.
WHAT THE PHOTO PATROL NEEDS:
4 VOLUNTEERS WITH VIDEO CAMERAS OR RECORDING MICROPHONES
I will most certainly be a part of the panel audience, and intend to be the one to stand in line at the left microphone. This means we will need four additional Photo Patrol members in the crowd in the spots described in the previous paragraph.
THE PLAN:
If we get enough volunteers (we can make do with only four people altogether), we should meet at the left microphone (audience's left). From there we can get into position. Upon speaking into the mic, I will ask that the Photo Patrol begin recording if they aren't already, and will then initiate the knuckle crack. If you have the option, turn the recording volume on your mic way up. It is easy to hear with the human ear, but not so easy for a microphone.

OMEGATHON ROUND 4: TBA RHYTHM GAME
WHEN: Saturday, 8:30pm
TIP: Get in line at the Main Theatre by at least 7:30pm in order to get in and grab a decent spot. Line up by at least 7:00pm for a better spot.
INFO: As mentioned above, this will require multiple camera operators throughout the Main Theater. Omegathon events in the Main Theater are always exciting, and make for great photographic opportunities.
As many videographers and photographers as possible.
THE PLAN:
Film and photograph the proceedings of Round 4 of the Omegathon from whatever vantage point you are able to achieve. As mentioned above:
"...You will probably need a wristband to get inside, which means you'll need to line up early to get into PAX when they tend to hand them out. If you get a wristband, be sure to arrive to the Main Theater an hour early if you want a decent spot, an hour and half or more early if you want good spots. The further you are away from the stage, the tinnier your sound quality will be. It is recommended that you bring a tall monopod or some such other device that will allow you to rest your arms while filming over people's heads."

THE FINAL ROUND OF THE OMEGATHON
WHEN: Sunday, 5:00pm
TIP: Get in line by at least 3:30 for a decent vantage point, earlier for a good one. This is the biggest event at PAX, and is always packed. Arrive later than 4:00pm and you may not get in at all. It is highly recommended that you bring a tall monopod or some such other device that will allow you to rest your arms while filming over people's heads.
INFO: As mentioned above: The climax of PAX 09. For this event, we want as many Photo Patrol agents as possible in that Main Theater.
As many videographers and photographers as possible.
THE PLAN:
Arrive very early (at least an hour and a half beforehand). Get as close as you can to the stage and do your thing.

POST-PAX GROUP PHOTO AND EAT & GREET AT THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY
WHERE: Main entrance to the Washington State Convention & Trade Center
WHEN: Sunday, 7:30pm
After PAX concludes, the PAX Photo Patrol will convene outside the main entrance to the Washington State Convention and Trade Center for a group photo at 7:30pm. Afterward we will head across the street to the Cheesecake Factory for an Eat and Greet gathering wherein we will shoot the crap and show each other our photos/video on our cameras. Since the convention crowd will have the place packed to the ceiling, however, each person will need to take a beeper which informs when seating is available. You can expect to wait for a while before seating opens. Each attendee is encouraged to stick around outside so we can all chat.

THE PHOTO PATROL IS OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS
If you think there's anything else we should do that would be fun, or would like to organize your own Photo Patrol event, that can be done here as well.

PREPARATION:
The prepared photographer is a happy photographer. A few things to consider when performing photography:

GOT ENOUGH BATTERIES? MEMORY CARDS? TAPES?
Running out of fuel is frustrating. Don't let it happen to you! The last thing you need is to have to run out to a downtown Seattle electronics store and pay 2.5x as much as you would have spent online.

GOT A PLACE TO SIT?
I will personally be shouldering a small three-legged chair. Standing on your feet all day can wear you out real fast. Be sure to relieve your feet whenever you can. You may want to also consider sliding some Dr. Scholl's into your shoes to cushion your overworked feet.

YOUR ARMS WILL GET TIRED HOLDING THAT VIDEO CAMERA UP ALL THE TIME.
Consider a tall monopod or tripod, especially one that can reach over people's heads during events where everyone is standing, such as the Omegathon in the Main Theater.

Finally, the PAX Photo Patrol has a few rules.
1. If someone doesn't want to be photographed, be respectful of their wishes.
2. If a vendor asks that no film or photography be used at their booth, respect their wishes as well.
3. Don't photograph or film the concerts. They aren't ours to distribute on the internet.

Again, if you wish to cover any one or more of the events in the schedule above as a Volunteer, post a reply in this thread stating your intention to do so. I will then add your name to the slot of your choosing.

It is the aim of the PAX Photo Patrol to preserve and share the Penny Arcade Expo with the world. Join us and help us to achieve the noble, selfless goal of capturing every moment and every event the Penny Arcade Expo has to offer!

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
papaprinny on

• Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This sounds interesting. I am a photographer. Let me try to figure out which panels I'll be hitting.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll probably be doing a small amount of freelance photography, (primarily for my own amusement).
    My camera isn't super awesome, but it'll manage for PAX this year.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    GodSinGodSin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think this is another great idea, just like the Pax Community dvd. This will be another way for people that couldn't come for what ever reason to see what goes on, as well as all the Fun they miss out on.

I for one will be taking my Canon Rebel XTI out and about with me going fully loaded with 3x 8gig Memory Cards and 2 Batteries as well as the AA battery back and flash just in case :)

You can never take too many photos at events like this nor can you ever have enough power lol.

Count me in. As long as there is a open wireless connection I will upload pictures to my website for everyone to share / download

GodSin on
This discussion has been closed.