As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 8-26-09: Too Close to Home

CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Graphic Violence
I only picked up Scalped #31 today because, so my MotW was naturally from that issue. Things are getting tight for Red Crow based on last issues "declaration of war", and Dash is staring out at the rez and keeps repeating to himself how he can't wait to get the fuck out of there and never look back--but he knows it's not that simple.

Crimsondude on
«134

Posts

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Crimson, can you give me a quick rundown of Scalped? I keep hearing people raving about this book. Any recent issues a good place to jump on?

    Hensler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen please please I don't have any time for any gossip now Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Batman & Robin #3 was completely messed up, but still great.

    Batman drags the guy on fire through the streets of Gotham on his batcycyle to make him confess.

    Professor Pyg then dances for Damien to sexy disco hot:

    br31.jpg

    br3c.jpg

    Batman shows up to save Robin, they save the day:

    br3d.jpg

    Pyg was contaminating everyone with a virus that messes with people's minds, makes them mindless.

    And then the girl from the first issues who was Pyg'd but not under their control, she is asked by the Red Hood to be his companion.

    TexiKen on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if SCALPED is the sort of book you can just jump into. If I'm remembering right, the first trade is priced really low or somesuch - I'd recommend starting there. It's a fantastic book. Like, Brubaker/Phillips CRIMINAL good.

    Note - I would recommend not reading it if you're having a really bad day. Because horrible, horrible shit happens.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also - my MotW would be a toss-up between Uncanny X-Men, Green Lantern, and Nova. It was a good week for comics.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My moment of the week was definitely Emma in Utopia. I'm scanning it now!

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had 7 in my stack but I've only read one of them so far: Green Lantern.

    Gotta say, the moment with Larfleeze was pretty epic.
    Yuh-oh

    Lucascraft on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As promised, my moment from Utopia:
    X-Force arrives to liberate the mutant prisoner's from Norman's facility just as the Dark Avengers were about to leave. Norman decides to send the Dark X-Men down to give them their time to shine, then his other team of crazy loons can play clean-up. That plan, however, fails because I told you so, I told you so, I told-told-told-told-told you so, Emma isn't betraying the team.

    img033.jpg

    img034.jpg

    img035.jpg

    The plan ends up being raising what I think was Asteroid M from the ocean as their new Mutant Utopia. On the last page, Norman tells Daken and Hawkeye "bring me Namor's head and Emma's heart and make sure Scott Summers sees you do it."

    I also love the third page first panel where Namor and Wolverine are just staring each other down.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I also love the third page first panel where Norman and Wolverine are just staring each other down.

    It might just be the size of the image, but it looks to me that Norman is looking away, and Wolverine is in his face, in a sort of "I AM HERE, LOOK AT ME, DAMMIT."

    MisterBibs on

    kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • DMACDMAC Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Are you guys both saying Norman instead of Namor?

    DMAC on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Namor, not Norman, right?

    mattharvest on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm still waiting for my comics from last week via HeavyInk, but I think it's possible that they were delivered to the wrong box or ganked.

    However, I do have a MotW from the previews I've read. Namely, this page of Flash Rebirth #4.

    Yes, it's hokey. Yes, it's cliche. But it's all I've had for a little over two weeks now, and I've been telling my roomate that he has no lightning here since that preview went up on Monday.

    HadjiQuest on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love seeing Scott step up as a leader in these books. We always hear that he is such a great tactician and the natural leader of mutant kind, but we're really seeing it in Utopia.

    Hensler on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Namor, my bad. Not sure why I did that.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Crimson, can you give me a quick rundown of Scalped? I keep hearing people raving about this book. Any recent issues a good place to jump on?

    Well, Scalped #30 (last issue) was part one of the current arc, which is pretty much a coming-together of a lot of the plots over the last 30 issues. The best place to start would be with the first trade because while you can figure out what's going on, there is a lot of nuance that will get missed.
    E.g., Diesel calling Dash's girlfriend and telling him he's getting out and is coming for Dash.

    But the plot is this in a nutshell: In 1975 two FBI agents are murdered on the Prairie Rose reservation. Their protege, FBI agent Nitz, has a hard-on to nail the man he thinks did it, who is now the head of the tribe (and the tribal police), owner of the rez's new casino, overall mob boss-type figure, and all-around badass. So in other words, this man is God on the rez. Dash Bad-Horse is an FBI agent who fled from the rez but was sent back by Nitz to infiltrate Red Crow's operation and bring him down for murder.

    Dash is basically King Murphy in that everything he has touched or that has touched him since he returned has turned to shit.

    jkyle makes a good point: It's based on reality. Prairie Rose is a thinly-veiled analogue to a real reservation, Pine Ridge--which is the poorest county in the United States and looks like it belongs in the shittiest part of the third world instead of the Dakota badlands, and a lot of the characters and events portrayed are based on real events and real people. It's a pretty bleak story, made bleaker when you know that the one thing the rez has going for it in the book (the casino) will never come to be IRL. It tears me up inside to read the book every time, but it is also an excellent book because it is so brutal, so ruthless with what it shows the reader, and such a stark and realistic view of the world inhabited by these characters, all but maybe two in the entire book who are thoroughly broken in various ways.

    I think Red Crow is the best character in the book, and rightly so I think that's how it's intended. He is powerful. He is corrupt. But he does have a sense of purpose in seeing his people finally crawl out from this life of shit that, frankly, has been thrust upon them by the U.S. government and their not-too-friendly white neighbors for the last 150+ years. He embodies a varying number of characteristics shared by men from that era whom I have come to know and deal with, and Aaron has absolutely nailed that kind of man down pat with Red Crow.

    Crimsondude on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Check Namor and Emma's expressions on panel 3 page 1.

    That's about 700 unwritten lines of telepathic banter right there, with all of it coming down to

    N: "How much more of this must we bear?"

    E: "Until right...about..."

    143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just checked S_D. That Larfleeze panel is swell.

    Crimsondude on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    Considering what a silly character Daken is, Dark Wolverine is pretty good read and hes portrayed as more than the animal he is in most other comics like the X-Force up there.

    DarkWarrior on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Considering what a silly character Daken is, Dark Wolverine is pretty good read and hes portrayed as more than the animal he is in most other comics like the X-Force up there.

    Have you even read Utopia? Daken recommended Norman restaurants to go to and shit in like the first issue. And in his portion of the miniseries, he beat Norman in an argument and reminded him that he's not an idiot beast while throwing in literary references..

    He's acting like an "animal" because his father is right there.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Namor is one of the few people who can get away with using the word "whelp".

    CyberJackal on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Considering what a silly character Daken is, Dark Wolverine is pretty good read and hes portrayed as more than the animal he is in most other comics like the X-Force up there.

    Have you even read Utopia? Daken recommended Norman restaurants to go to and shit in like the first issue. And in his portion of the miniseries, he beat Norman in an argument and reminded him that he's not an idiot beast while throwing in literary references..

    He's acting like an "animal" because his father is right there.

    Eh, im just going off those pages. Most times I've seen him he's all RAWWRR I'm gonna eat your heart.

    And GL was really, really good I concur with the Larfleeze moment but I still am pulling for him.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Considering what a silly character Daken is, Dark Wolverine is pretty good read and hes portrayed as more than the animal he is in most other comics like the X-Force up there.

    I enjoy seeing a plan that relies on subtle manipulation over a long period of time rather that sudden, uncharacteristic backstabbing.

    Also, he gives Venom confusing sexual feelings.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    Considering what a silly character Daken is, Dark Wolverine is pretty good read and hes portrayed as more than the animal he is in most other comics like the X-Force up there.

    I enjoy seeing a plan that relies on subtle manipulation over a long period of time rather that sudden, uncharacteristic backstabbing.

    Also, he gives Venom confusing sexual feelings.

    I know its a nitpick but Id expect the symbiote to detect what was going on with the pheremones and filter them out. Can't he breathe underwater in that thing?

    DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Considering what a silly character Daken is, Dark Wolverine is pretty good read and hes portrayed as more than the animal he is in most other comics like the X-Force up there.

    I enjoy seeing a plan that relies on subtle manipulation over a long period of time rather that sudden, uncharacteristic backstabbing.

    Also, he gives Venom confusing sexual feelings.

    I know its a nitpick but Id expect the symbiote to detect what was going on with the pheremones and filter them out. Can't he breathe underwater in that thing?

    I don't think so. As far as I know, the Symbiote's capabilities are basically just shape-shifting and the ability to mimic Spider-Man's powers, which it only got because it initially bonded with him.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    Considering what a silly character Daken is, Dark Wolverine is pretty good read and hes portrayed as more than the animal he is in most other comics like the X-Force up there.

    I enjoy seeing a plan that relies on subtle manipulation over a long period of time rather that sudden, uncharacteristic backstabbing.

    Also, he gives Venom confusing sexual feelings.

    I know its a nitpick but Id expect the symbiote to detect what was going on with the pheremones and filter them out. Can't he breathe underwater in that thing?

    I don't think so. As far as I know, the Symbiote's capabilities are basically just shape-shifting and the ability to mimic Spider-Man's powers, which it only got because it initially bonded with him.

    I want that suit. Looks like it would feel constantly cooled.

    DarkWarrior on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MotW:

    "I am Groot!"
    "Goodness! My liege, that's an extraordinarily good idea!"

    smokmnky on
  • RingoRingo He/Him Bury me at Lone Tree DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    At the end of those Utopia scans, they leave four guys on the ground. Daken, Mimic, and Weapon Omega I see. Is the 4th Dark Beast? They let Dark Beast out in public?

    Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They're not in public. They're in Norman's private compound.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User
    edited August 2009
    X-Force is having the worst week ever. Christ. It's one crisis after another.
    XForce_18.jpg
    XForce_18_032.jpg
    XForce_18_033.jpg


    Man, I like Choi's art.

    JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    Does X not have Adamantium bones?

    DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does X not have Adamantium bones?

    No, just her claws are adamantium. That stuff isn't cheap, you know! And anyway, you move a lot faster when you aren't being weighed down by a hyper-dense metal.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    Does X not have Adamantium bones?

    No, just her claws are adamantium. That stuff isn't cheap, you know! And anyway, you move a lot faster when you aren't being weighed down by a hyper-dense metal.

    Well.

    Just saying I'd rather move slow and keep my limbs than not.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does X not have Adamantium bones?

    No, just her claws are adamantium. That stuff isn't cheap, you know! And anyway, you move a lot faster when you aren't being weighed down by a hyper-dense metal.

    Well.

    Just saying I'd rather move slow and keep my limbs than not.

    Wolverine can be dismembered too. I mean, it's not like his ligaments are adamantium.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited August 2009
    Does X not have Adamantium bones?

    No, just her claws are adamantium. That stuff isn't cheap, you know! And anyway, you move a lot faster when you aren't being weighed down by a hyper-dense metal.

    Well.

    Just saying I'd rather move slow and keep my limbs than not.

    Wolverine can be dismembered too. I mean, it's not like his ligaments are adamantium.

    Ive only ever seen anyone take notice of that in the Ultimate universe though.

    DarkWarrior on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think it was established back in the nineties that Professor X had a contingency plan for taking down Wolverine, which involved decapitating him at the neck between his vertebrae, and then distancing the head from his body.

    Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure Professor X would have a very easy time decapitating Wolverine. In fact, that would be the most one-sided fight ever.

    Cyclops could probably decapitate Wolverine pretty easily, though.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    I think it was established back in the nineties that Professor X had a contingency plan for taking down Wolverine, which involved decapitating him at the neck between his vertebrae, and then distancing the head from his body.

    Yeah, that was from the "Xavier Protocols" storyline, around the same time as Onslaught. Xavier was making plans to kill everyone he knew before Batman made it cool.

    Hensler on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But the Wolverine file was actually written when Wolverine didn't have adamantium anymore.

    Hensler on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone reading Runaways still? Could you tell me what the hell is happening in this story line? I'm thinking that Immonen's story just isn't making any sense with me.

    smokmnky on
  • TexiKenTexiKen please please I don't have any time for any gossip now Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gotham City Sirens #3 was good despite the fill-in. Because it didn't read like one. I would gladly read the book if Lobdell took over full time, because this Riddler-centric story was fun, and March's art, with token T&A art here and there, has a fluidity to it missing in other books.
    Riddler is figuring out a serial killer, teams up with Batman (Dick), and realizes there is someone else under there who doesn't trust him like Bruce did. He then save the next victim but comes across Conundrum, a legacy villain that is actually a group of people trying to be like Riddler. Nigma gives his observation of why they're doing this:

    gcs3a.jpg

    gcs3b.jpg

    gcs3c.jpg

    TexiKen on
  • TexiKenTexiKen please please I don't have any time for any gossip now Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And Deadpool fights pirates in #14:

    d14a.jpg

    d14b.jpg

    d14c.jpg

    Deadpool is worth picking up, it gives you a chuckle every month.

    TexiKen on
Sign In or Register to comment.