As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Harry Potter Book Officially Named

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Although, I think the annoying literary theory for the Lion King is that it's, like, totally racist.

That's funny, because it's Hamlet.

Oh yeah, I've heard that one. "It's totally racist because Whoopi Goldberg is an evil hyena, even though Mufasa and Sarabi are also voiced by black people!"

LadyM on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Would god impregnate a lion to make the lion jesus? Or would that be a seperate lion-god?

Also, Harry can't be jesus because all of the books are a series of satanic bibles. When the last one is written the antichrist will walk the world again, duh.

God impregnates mountain lions, Satan impregnates porcupines.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Would god impregnate a lion to make the lion jesus? Or would that be a seperate lion-god?

Also, Harry can't be jesus because all of the books are a series of satanic bibles. When the last one is written the antichrist will walk the world again, duh.

Then they get to have critter christmas!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:

Then they get to have critter christmas!

That south park episode freaked, and disgusted, the shit out of me.

Johannen on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    LadyM wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Although, I think the annoying literary theory for the Lion King is that it's, like, totally racist.

That's funny, because it's Hamlet.

Oh yeah, I've heard that one. "It's totally racist because Whoopi Goldberg is an evil hyena, even though Mufasa and Sarabi are also voiced by black people!"

I thought it was actually that the lions are basically black people, and it perpetuates the idea of the noble savage. You know, circle of life and all that.

--

I think it's a stretch, but it works better than the one some jerk tortured you with. ;)

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, that's way better than the one I heard, which also said that the hyenas were all drug dealers and that Scar was the white drug lord "keeping them down." :roll:

LadyM on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    Emma Watsons 16 and British?! She's legal then. That means Rowling should start sexing up the potter books. The words "seductively" and "firm" should be used a lot more now. Maybe "spanking" and "whore" if she's feeling feisty with the script.

Although, we see that the books get progressively more mature. I highly doubt Rowling will use Hermione as a sexual deviant. I believe it was said in the earlier books that Hermione, the character, is not suppose to be attractive but just--for a lack of a better word--plain.

We can only hope that in the upcoming movies, Rowling will permit the film makers to give Hermione some seductive qualities. :winky:

But seriously people, it's a book. I think we should just enjoy it rather than trying to catch silly nonsense.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    <3 wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    Emma Watsons 16 and British?! She's legal then. That means Rowling should start sexing up the potter books. The words "seductively" and "firm" should be used a lot more now. Maybe "spanking" and "whore" if she's feeling feisty with the script.

Although, we see that the books get progressively more mature. I highly doubt Rowling will use Hermione as a sexual deviant. I believe it was said in the earlier books that Hermione, the character, is not suppose to be attractive but just--for a lack of a better word--plain.

We can only hope that in the upcoming movies, Rowling will permit the film makers to give Hermione some seductive qualities. :winky:

But seriously people, it's a book. I think we should just enjoy it rather than trying to catch silly nonsense.

But, I thought "plain" looking girls were usually dirty to make up for them being... well... "plain" looking?

Johannen on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    Johannen wrote:

But, I thought "plain" looking girls were usually dirty to make up for them being... well... "plain" looking?

Sara Plain and Tall: HARLOT

_J_ on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    LadyM wrote:
    Yeah, that's way better than the one I heard, which also said that the hyenas were all drug dealers and that Scar was the white drug lord "keeping them down." :roll:
    The only one that i've heard is that scar+hyenas = nazis which is supported by the imagery in the canyon scene

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does anyone else think that the Horcruxes make the whole killing voldemort deal really video game-ish?

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Does anyone else think that the Horcruxes make the whole killing voldemort deal really video game-ish?

J.K's a multi-format writer. She can make money frickin' everywhere

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What I was getting at though was that the horcruxes seem like arbitrary objectives, or the splintering of one objective into a dozen little pieces, each with its own level. I mean that's how every other game stretches out its story.

Sam on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    What I was getting at though was that the horcruxes seem like arbitrary objectives, or the splintering of one objective into a dozen little pieces, each with its own level. I mean that's how every other game stretches out its story.

Yeah, I felt the same way. But the fact that there is only one more book and that its J.K. Rowling gives me hope that it will be fine.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:

I actually expect that there'll be a shortcut halfway in. This horcrux thing might be too structurally boring for a whole novel.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Sam wrote:

I actually expect that there'll be a shortcut halfway in. This horcrux thing might be too structurally boring for a whole novel.

[spoiler:adf7714367]From the look of it, R.A.B. probably destroyed most of Horcruxes already. Harry will probably only have to destroy one and then kill Voldemort.[/spoiler:adf7714367]

<3 on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't know if it's been noted before, but the snake is a horcrux.

so we have

1. Diary (destroyed)
    2. Locket (destroyed)
    3. Snake
    4. Cup
    5. Something of Ravenclaw's
    6. Ring (destroyed)
    7. ????? (neville lol)

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    NirakoneNirakone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    At first I thought "Has she been watching too much Bleach?" because I misread Hallow for Hollow XD

Nirakone on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    I don't know if it's been noted before, but the snake is a horcrux.

so we have

1. Diary (destroyed)
    2. Locket (destroyed)
    3. Snake
    4. Cup
    5. Something of Ravenclaw's
    6. Ring (destroyed)
    7. ????? (neville lol)

I just remembered that #7 is voldemort himself. Six horcruxes + himself = 7 pieces of soul, which is what he was after.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    well uh

that is a good idea, but you couldn't have remembered it because it's not in the books.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    well uh

that is a good idea, but you couldn't have remembered it because it's not in the books.

Wikipedia agrees and sez to check page 506. But they've been known to be wrong before and I don't have a copy of the book on me to check for myself. The key thing I remember was that it was an either/or about the Gryffendor or Ravenclaw artifact being a horcrux.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    They talk about how he wants his soul in seven pieces, NOT that the final piece is inside him. It is entirely possible.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    well uh

Wikipedia agrees and sez to check page 506. But they've been known to be wrong before and I don't have a copy of the book on me to check for myself. The key thing I remember was that it was an either/or about the Gryffendor or Ravenclaw artifact being a horcrux.

I'm pretty sure Harry and Dumbldore actually have this exact same conversation. Harry's counting them up and gets a blank for 7, and Dumbldore tells him it's Voldemort himself.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    well uh

I'm pretty sure Harry and Dumbldore actually have this exact same conversation. Harry's counting them up and gets a blank for 7, and Dumbldore tells him it's Voldemort himself.
    oh you're right
    hmm

I take it back sir!

I take it back.

All the way back

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    <3 wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Sam wrote:

[spoiler:726a4f42a2]From the look of it, R.A.B. probably destroyed most of Horcruxes already. Harry will probably only have to destroy one and then kill Voldemort.[/spoiler:726a4f42a2]

There isn't much doubt as to who R.A.B is anymore is there?

Sam on
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Sam wrote:

[spoiler:afad5799f3]From the look of it, R.A.B. probably destroyed most of Horcruxes already. Harry will probably only have to destroy one and then kill Voldemort.[/spoiler:afad5799f3]

Nah. In the Dutch translation. R.A.B. is R.A.Z. , and the black family name is Zwarts. This is the case with all translations.

#14 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    Mahnmut wrote:
    Sam wrote:

[spoiler:609baafcc7]From the look of it, R.A.B. probably destroyed most of Horcruxes already. Harry will probably only have to destroy one and then kill Voldemort.[/spoiler:609baafcc7]

[spoiler:609baafcc7]It's pretty much a given that he's a Black family member, since the translations of the book have a trend of chaning the last name of the initials to whatever the name of the Black familiy is in that translation. Whether he's

[realspoiler:609baafcc7]Regulus Black, or some other black family member, remains to be seen, but he's the most likely candidate.[/realspoiler:609baafcc7][/spoiler:609baafcc7]

EDIT: Beat'd like red-headed step-post.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is the snake still alive? I could have sworn it tried to kill Harry or something and then he owned it the face.

The last horcrux is Sylar btw.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys guys, what if the llast Horcrux was Ron

I'd pay for that book

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Guys guys, what if the llast Horcrux was Ron

I'd pay for that book

No one would care that he died.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i wonder if harry would really die...it'd kind of go against the grain of the series. But then again, what the hell would Harry do with his life after Voldemort's gone, play Quidditch?

Rowling's made it clear that Harry isn't particularly talented (or interested, rather) in anything other than Defence Against the Dark Arts. So After Voldemort pretty much all he has open to him is teaching DADA or playing Quidditch. Either one would be quite meh.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    i wonder if harry would really die...it'd kind of go against the grain of the series. But then again, what the hell would Harry do with his life after Voldemort's gone, play Quidditch?

Rowling's made it clear that Harry isn't particularly talented (or interested, rather) in anything other than Defence Against the Dark Arts. So After Voldemort pretty much all he has open to him is teaching DADA or playing Quidditch. Either one would be quite meh.
    Auron.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    <3 wrote:
    Sam wrote:

Auron.

You want Harry to fight Auron? Harry would get his arse kicked?!

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    IIRC Aurons fight death eaters- I'm assuming that with the fall of voldo (haha) there won't really be any need for them.

Sure you could say there'll always be darkness and all that, but it'd be the equivalent of being a cop or something.

Sam on
  • Options
    unilateralunilateral Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aurors.

Auron was in a final fantasy I think.

unilateral on
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    Sam wrote:

Auron.

He'll be an Auror/Aurer/Oratory Aurora Borealis?

WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    unilateral wrote:
    Aurors.

Yeah...Aurors

<3 on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:ade6cc1902]I think that at some point in this new book something like what happened with Harry and Voldemort's wands will occur. There will be a duel and then, just like how Harry's parents appeared when the wands connected, Dumbledore will appear. Which would explain why Snape killed him. Dumbledore would be able to pop up when the final battle goes down.

It seems to me that Snape betraying Dumbledore is highly unlikely, considering that Dumbledore was kind enough to offer a teaching job to him, despite his past as a Death Eater. There have been no past events that would insinuate that Snape disliked Dumbledore or would wish him any ill will. Before Dumbledore died he pleaded with Snape, something very out of character, which would lead me to believe that he wasn't pleading for his life, but instead quite the opposite. If Snape was in league with Dumbledore than he'd have a hard time killing him.[/spoiler:ade6cc1902]

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    <3 wrote:
    Sam wrote:

Auron.

He'll be an Auror/Aurer/Oratory Aurora Borealis?

Auror... although, if [spoiler:2159d4639c] Harry and Voldy get fighting again and their wands touch[/spoiler:2159d4639c] if Auron comes out and Uses Tornado or Banishing Blade, you know Voldy's fucked.

Johannen on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    unilateral wrote:
    Aurors.

Nerdian slip. :wink:

wobblyheadedbob on