As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"This sucks. I'm calling my lawyer."

ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
Topic: Divorce Rates in America

According to divorcerate.org, 50% of all marriages in the USA end in divorce.

According to Divorce Magazine, America has the 12th highest divorce rates in the world. First and second places are held by Belarus and Russia, respectively.

Let this be a thread where we discuss some of the reasons for these high divorce rates and how they impact the US culture and society.

First, is a high divorce rate a bad thing?

Second, are couples less likely to think it through before they get married, knowing they can get a divorce if they don't like it?

Third, New York Times reported in 2004 that divorce rates are noticeably lower in blue states than they are in conservative Christian states. What do you think are some of the reasons for this contrary-to-expectations trend?

Fourth, what are some of the societal, economic, cultural, and psychological factors that contribute to high divorce rates in the United States?

Obviously there are more venues than these that are worth exploring, so feel free... but without derailing the topic please.[/u]

And finally, a lovely message from truechristian.com LOL!

divorce.jpg

ege02 on

• Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I disapprove of divorse. I think being raised in a stable, loving family is good for children.

And I do think the ease of divorse is trivialising marriage. Why bother planning or thinking through a decision that you can just undo as easily?

I'm sure people will counter with arguments along the line of "divorse is important for people in abusive relationships and/or spouses." That's true, and that's one of the benefits of divorse. But the downside are, well, those in ege's post.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't know if I can speak to the entirety of the institution of marriage, but personally it has been great for me. It has been very positive for me to have a financial partner and permanent, live-in best friend with benefits. I can't imagine how people manage to cope with raising children without that kind of stability and back up.

So some of the people who get divorced get divorced multiple times. So while 50% of marriages may end in divorce, something like 60 - 65% of people who get married stay married without experiencing divorce.

I imagine divorce is higher in America than other western nations because our population is more mobile, making extended family relationships and life long friendships more rare. Too much emphasis is placed on the marriage relationship, which in a large number of cases is the only deep emotional relationship in a persons life. There is less of an emotional support system/community surrounding married people.

I imagine it is higher in red states because:
    1. A higher percentage of their populations get married.
    2. They are generally poorer and financial difficulty, especially real poverty, puts an immense strain on a relationship.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Havefuninhell.jpg

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    I disapprove of divorse. I think being raised in a stable, loving family is good for children.
    See, that's not a problem of divorce, that's a problem of spouses splitting up after they have kids. If they're at the point where they're pushing for a divorce, they don't comprise a stable and loving family anyway. Divorce isn't causing the problem of unstable families, it's simply a way to separate and avoid further trauma. The important thing is for people to get their shit together before they have kids and thus avoid the whole situation.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    My sibling just called me to tell me that she just got engaged to a FUCKING DOUCHEBAG. So I feel as if I am in a great mood to answer this question.

The problem with idiots is that they don't think things through. They don't appreciate the significance of their decisions. As my sibling said, "I may be making a giant mistake....but it's my life...."

And when one operates with that mindset it's not surprising that 50% of marriages end in divorce.

People cling to these ideals that they fabricate. "He'll change one day. He'll respect me one day. He can't really be that much of a god damned fat ass shitmongering dolt."

And refuse to accept the reality that yes he can, in fact, be that much of a dolt.

People don't think. People don't sit back and weigh their decisions. They just go along with the moment and continue to go along with the moment and then wake up six years later to some idiotic want to be lawyer who isn't worth a damn and doesn't respect her and wonder, "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?!"

_J_ on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:

It's good that people have the option to be in control of their own lives, to get out of situations that are bad for them, and to strive for their own happiness.

It's bad that people are getting into bad situations in the first place.
    ege02 wrote:
    Second, are couples less likely to think it through before they get married, knowing they can get a divorce if they don't like it?

I doubt it. I think most people know that divorce is a bad, stressful thing. It's a word that's always prefaced by adjectives like, "nasty," "stormy," "painful," etc.

I think that there is substantial proportion of people whose judgment is very poor when it comes to picking life partners. They honestly believe that they're getting together with The One but due to overly idealistic thinking or unreasonable expectations or a lack of self-awareness they repeatedly get involved with people who turn out to be bad for them. These are the multiple divorcees that Shinto mentioned who are driving up overall divorce rates.
    Shinto wrote:

I'd like to see some stats on the average age of marriage by state. I think that not only do more red-staters get married, but they get married at younger ages when they're less likely to make good relationship choices.
    Richy wrote:

But is a divorce better or worse for children than growing up in a family where the parents are unhappy and barely tolerate each other?

I'm not sure I have an easy answer to that question.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Below is an interesting reason why there is such a high divorce rate. Divorce is just a slightly more difficult break-up these days.

The divorce rate in America for childless couples and couples with children
    According to discovery channel, couples with children have a slightly lower rate of divorce than childless couples.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Below is an interesting reason why there is such a high divorce rate. Divorce is just a slightly more difficult break-up these days.

According to discovery channel, couples with children have a slightly lower rate of divorce than childless couples.

Makes sense, but "slightly lower" doesn't sound like having children or not is really a huge contributor to the overall statistical level of divorce.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If only these people who make each other miserable would have children together, things would be so much better.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:

we are talking about divorce rates. Like, percentage, so that would have no effect.

Now, if you wanted to say that there is more social pressure on people to get married, so they undertake it with less thought and forsight, leading to a greater rate of divorce.

Well... I wouldn't have a problem with that, but attributing it to the actual percentage of people getting married is an indefencible, illogical and ignorant argument, which I wouldn't expect from someone I respect as much as you.

errr.... like the causal relationship is not between the percentage of people getting married and the percentage getting divorced. That's just a correlation due to them both having the same social cause.

or whatever.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    redx wrote:
    Shinto wrote:

we are talking about divorce rates. Like, percentage, so that would have no effect.

Now, if you wanted to say that there is more social pressure on people to get married, so they undertake it with less thought and forsight, leading to a greater rate of divorce.

Well... I wouldn't have a problem with that, but attributing it to the actual percentage of people getting married is an indefencible, illogical and ignorant argument, which I wouldn't expect from someone I respect as much as you.

errr.... like the causal relationship is not between the percentage of people getting married and the percentage getting divorced. That's just a correlation due to them both having the same social cause.

or whatever.

I wasn't very clear.

When I said that, I meant that more marginal couples were probably getting married in the red states.

Shinto on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:

My mother has been so much easier to deal with since she ditched my douchebag stepfather, it's not even funny. I have to wonder how much better off my sister and brother would be now if she'd done it back when she should have instead of waiting until we were all grown.

Being raised in a stable, loving family is the ideal. There are plenty of stable families that can't stand the sight of each other--for whatever reason, you'll see them in hell before they split up. My in-laws are like that. I'm being entirely serious when I say that if we get a call someday about one of them having had a murder-suicide party, we're going to have to pretend to be surprised. That's not somehow a better environment to raise a kid in than a single-parent home where the single parent is emotionally healthy, particularly seeing as kids pick up most of their ideas about how relationships are supposed to work by watching their parents.
    Richy wrote:
    And I do think the ease of divorse is trivialising marriage. Why bother planning or thinking through a decision that you can just undo as easily?

It's only easy if it's a mutual decision. You have a fucking hell of a time getting out of a marriage if one or the other of you is dead set against it, or unwilling to compromise about how assets are to be split up.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I remember hearing at one point that these 50% figures factor in every single marriage as a single instance. Therefor, people in four, five or even six marriages account for six divorces. Factoring out the repeat divorces, the rate actually drops a bit.

Edit: Beat'n. Damn you Shinto!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Divorce is awesome.

It allows people to actually not ruin their lives and the lives of their possible offspring with a single stupid mistake.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    This is pretty much the most retarded statement I've heard in a while, since you're implying that if we just made divorce impossible for people to do, all our problems would be fixed. HOORAY!! Or not.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    But is a divorce better or worse for children than growing up in a family where the parents are unhappy and barely tolerate each other?

I'm not sure I have an easy answer to that question.
    As the result of just that choice, let me tell you, divorce was the much preferred option. My parents were at each other's throats enough after the divorce. My life would have been fucking ruined if I'd grown up with them stuck in the same house.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:

It would also be good for children to have private tutors in every subject, have there parents devote every waking moment to them, and to have their very own pony. Just because some magical thing would be great for children doesn't mean it has any particular bearing to what should be done in reality.

Who says marriage SHOULDN'T be trivialized? Human society (at least in developed countries) is no longer at a point where every single family unit needs a burly man to go kill some meat, and a meek woman to dote on the children and cook or else everyone involved is screwed.

Marriage is exactly as worthwhile as the benefits it provides to the people involved. Since divorce rates have gone up, there hasn't been a shattering of society and anarchy in the streets. There's no reason to hold it up on a pedestal as valuable in and of itself.

Hell, if such an outside emphasis wasn't placed on it, I can almost guarantee that the divorce rate would go down. If it wasn't something everyone felt a serious relationship had to end up as, then the marginal couples that won't make it wouldn't be as likely to get married, and then have to deal with the various entanglements that divorce brings.

werehippy on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    I wasn't very clear.

When I said that, I meant that more marginal couples were probably getting married in the red states.

I'd agree with that. I was just being pedantic pointing out obvious inaccuracy with your inital statement, less someone try to make it into more of an argument.

I don't have much of a problem with divorce. Some people change, and others do not. That leads to a fair amount of stress and can create an environment worse for child rearing than a single parnet home.

While a stable loving environment is probably the best for everyone, marriage only ensures the stablity part. Personally I find the other bit to be the important one.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Richy wrote:

It would also be good for children to have private tutors in every subject, have there parents devote every waking moment to them, and to have their very own pony. Just because some magical thing would be great for children doesn't mean it has any particular bearing to what should be done in reality.

Who says marriage SHOULDN'T be trivialized? Human society (at least in developed countries) is no longer at a point where every single family unit needs a burly man to go kill some meat, and a meek woman to dote on the children and cook or else everyone involved is screwed.

Marriage is exactly as worthwhile as the benefits it provides to the people involved. Since divorce rates have gone up, there hasn't been a shattering of society and anarchy in the streets. There's no reason to hold it up on a pedestal as valuable in and of itself.

Hell, if such an outside emphasis wasn't placed on it, I can almost guarantee that the divorce rate would go down. If it wasn't something everyone felt a serious relationship had to end up as, then the marginal couples that won't make it wouldn't be as likely to get married, and then have to deal with the various entanglements that divorce brings.

Trivializing marriage defeats the purpose of it though. Now its just till death do us part or whenever one of us gets bored. Whats the point of marrying if it doesn't actually mean anything? its becoming a flaw of our society. It should be something that is thought over and not just marrying some random person because you can get out of it easily. Marriage is about commitment and with the way its heading its become meaningless. Unfortunatly, this isn't really a problem that can be fixed. The only way the problem could somewhat be lessened is if a small divorce fee was charged for holding up the courts unless the situtitation was proved to be abusive. Im sure a lot more people would be more hestitant about marrying someone, if they knew a fee would be charged if it didn't work out. it would probably not work out well though.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thing about marriage.

It's absolutely purposeless if two people actually truly love and are devoted to each other.

And it's absolutely foolish if they aren't.

So it's a waste of ceremony.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Trivializing marriage defeats the purpose of it though. Now its just till death do us part or whenever one of us gets bored. Whats the point of marrying if it doesn't actually mean anything? its becoming a flaw of our society. It should be something that is thought over and not just marrying some random person because you can get out of it easily. Marriage is about commitment and with the way its heading its become meaningless. Unfortunatly, this isn't really a problem that can be fixed. The only way the problem could somewhat be lessened is if a small divorce fee was charged for holding up the courts unless the situtitation was proved to be abusive. Im sure a lot more people would be more hestitant about marrying someone, if they knew a fee would be charged if it didn't work out. it would probably not work out well though.
    The entire fucking problem with marriage is that people keep saying that and obsessing over it. You can't just have a really great long term relationship with someone - noooo - once you hit x number of years with x being 0 - 5 typically it's suddenly "so are you going to get married?" - WHY SHOULD I FUCKING HAVE TO?

If idiots stopped talking about marriage, and religious fuckjobs killed themselves in a massive orgy of collective suicide from which we'd all celebrate, then maybe the divorce rate would get lower when we stopped saturating society with images and stories of how important marriage is and how totally worthless it is if you don't get married coz clearly you're not that serious about your relationship.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    If only these people who make each other miserable would have children together, things would be so much better.
    How many of those that don't divorce are staying together "for the kids?"

Elendil on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Thing about marriage.

It's absolutely purposeless if two people actually truly love and are devoted to each other.

And it's absolutely foolish if they aren't.

So it's a waste of ceremony.

Eh? Marriage comes with a slew of useful legal benefits.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I definantly believe virginity is a flawed concept. The only reason it was seen as a bad thing to have sex before marriage, I believe, was to prevent STDs. Just like jews are circumised. I might be wrong though and don't care enough about religion to look it up.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I definantly believe virginity is a flawed concept. The only reason it was seen as a bad thing to have sex before marriage, I believe, was to prevent STDs. Just like jews are circumised. I might be wrong though and don't care enough about religion to look it up.

Dude.

Entirely different topic.

So different.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Divorce is by no means easy. It's a gigantic pain in the ass. A "small fee" is only going to make it really, really hard for poor, non-working spouses to be able to get a divorce, while the rich ones will have no problem with it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    acchhh, i sometimes go off tangent a little bit, but I was just replying to the person saying that marriage is forced upon a person because having sex before marriage is bad.
    Divorce is by no means easy. It's a gigantic pain in the ass. A "small fee" is only going to make it really, really hard for poor, non-working spouses to be able to get a divorce, while the rich ones will have no problem with it.
    Thats why it would be based on both their wages. it was just a suggestion anyways, and I don't think it would be that effective.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    acchhh, i sometimes go off tangent a little bit, but I was just replying to the person saying that marriage is forced upon a person because having sex before marriage is bad.

But you replied to the person (me) who said that treating marriage as if it was important in and of itself is not only archaic and useless, but one of the root causes of the increased divorce rate.

More specifically:

The purpose of marriage is not to have a lovey-dovey lifelong commitment in the eyes of god, blah blah blah. The purpose of marriage is to provide the optimal support system for the propagation of the species. Back in the day you needed people to stay together their whole lives, the man to provide and the woman to take care of the house/kids, etc. That's not the case anymore. Single parent families are perfectly capable of raises productive and well-adjusted members of society, there's no longer a need to chain to people together for their entire lives just because it's expected of them.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ege02 wrote:
    That depends on what you consider high, why you consider it high, and what the factors behind it are.

I'm inclined to think that there's a healthy divorce rate. Some people just shouldn't spend the rest of their lives stuck with each other, and we've made a lot of progress from the Bad Old Days (tm), when a wife was expected to stay her husband's punching bag indefinitely. Short of magical machines that can keep all and only bad couples from making the wrong decision, a certain amount of divorces are healthy and unavoidable.

So, the question becomes, is a 50% or so divorce rate higher than the natural healthy divorce rate? Hell if I know. Maybe half the human race is just destined to end up loving each other at first and not wanting to stick to it long term. Maybe the healthiest divorce rate is less than this. Maybe it's more. There's insufficient data to make this kind of call. At best I think maybe society pushes marriage too as a one size fits all solution. It's a great institution for some, but I think it's equally possible that there are others who are more naturally comfortable going through a series of shorter term relationships, or multiple relationships at once or any of the other possible permutations of human love, for whom marriage is not now and never will be suited.
    I don't think so. There's all kinds of nasty legal and financial repercussions that anyone who thinks it through would have to consider. A lot of people rush into it, yeah, but I think they'd be rushing into either way. Some people just plain don't think things through, and tinkering with the consequences doesn't change that.
    Third, New York Times reported in 2004 that divorce rates are noticeably lower in blue states than they are in conservative Christian states. What do you think are some of the reasons for this contrary-to-expectations trend?
    I'm more curious as to why you expected something else. It seems fairly clear that young people are under more pressure to marry sooner in their relationship, and earlier in their lives, in more religious environments.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    The only way the problem could somewhat be lessened is if a small divorce fee was charged for holding up the courts unless the situtitation was proved to be abusive.
    Because "we no longer trust one another with the myriad of very important legal rights marriage grants over our persons and assets and no longer have any desire to spend the rest of the week, let alone our lives, together" isn't important enough by itself? Jesus on a pogo stick. And that's even before you get into the fact that it's not only often difficult to prove abuse--especially non-physical abuse--to a court and the likelihood of trying to prove abuse where there was none turning a relatively amicable split into a total shitstorm.

If two people want to divorce for stupid reasons, they're probably not the sort of people who are going to be supercapable of making their marriage work regardless of what the rest of society wants. If two people want to divorce for good reasons, the fewer arbitrary obstacles there are in their way, the better it's going to be for everybody but their lawyers.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Richy wrote:

If living in a stable, loving family seems as magically unrealistic to you as those things you've named, I am very, very sad for you.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    Richy wrote:

If living in a stable, loving family seems as magically unrealistic to you as those things you've named, I am very, very sad for you.

I think that claiming the only way to give a child a stable loving home is to eradicate divorce and enforce marriage for all couples is unrealistic.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    Richy wrote:

Statistically...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    werehippy wrote:
    Richy wrote:

You're missing the point. For some families, it is unrealistic. Some families just won't be stable and loving, whether or not divorce exists.

Elendil on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think we're all looking at the wrong causes.

De Beers is obviously at fault here.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    mrflippy wrote:

Damned African Blood Marriages

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    mrflippy wrote:

Damned African Blood Marriages

diamonds.gif

werehippy on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There is a Divorce magazine? If your spouse is getting a subscription in the mail, that HAS to be a bad sign for a marriage. Perhaps blaming Divorce Magazine is an option?

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)