Options

I hate my neighbor's dog

13»

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Could drive the dog to another town/city and give him to a rescue or shelter. Of course, that's still not so much legal... However, it sounds like the dog is getting seriously inhumane treatment. It's never good for a dog to be tied up outside by itself all day, which is probably why it barks all the time. Not to mention the dietary problems you mentioned.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think anyone would blame you if you took it to one of these..

http://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/Iowa

If the dog doesn't get proper nutrition, he's going to eventually start going blind. I know of a dumbass that kept feeding his cat human food and she went blind from a lack of taurine. ( For the record, it was this one. )

However try the police first, then the ASPCA.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just for a little closure on this issue:

After many days straight (like a week and change) of pestering the police constantly about this clown, they finally showed up and made him move the dog around to his front yard. The barking is now muffled to a very ignorable level, and there is no more shit on my yard.

Additionally, I'm signing the loan documents today and buying the house 2 doors down the street from me which has a fenced in yard (and detached bar/game room and a motherfucking hot tub built into the back deck 8-)) so we'll be that much further away from it anyway. After that, him and his obnoxious dog and his shit bucket can have a lovely life together. I'll be hot tubbing.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nice. I'd still love you if you could fire a letter off to the ASPCA, though.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Nice. I'd still love you if you could fire a letter off to the ASPCA, though.

Bet the dog would too!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I will find some sort of contact for them and drop them a line. I'm not just going to wash my hands of it, for the dog's sake.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, this thread has rearranged the punctuation to just be, "I hate my neighbors, Dog,"
    now?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Glad it worked out, and congrats on the house!

You'll want a good home inspector to check that hot tub.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you're a good man, erandus.

or sith lord pug

or whatever it is that you are

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Neighbor put his dog outside at 7:40 this morning, on a fucking Sunday, and it proceeded to immediately take a dump on my yard and then howl it's fucking head off. He put it in his back yard where it always used to annoy me, instead of the front yard like the police had told him he had to do.

So I call the police. No answer. I call their cell. No answer. I call the non-emergency line and talk to the sheriff's office dispatcher. Our town's regular police officer quit, and our chief of police is on medical leave. So the only people who know the history of the situation are now out. They're sending a deputy out, but he doesn't know the situation or the agreement reached by our police chief and won't do anything permanent.

I'm sure my douchecannon of a neighbor knows very well that the guy who told him he had to put the dog in his front yard instead of his back yard is on leave and he can get away with it again.

Well, looks like my day starts at 8 instead of having a nice cozy sleep in. Fuck, the day I move into my new house cannot come fast enough.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    Neighbor put his dog outside at 7:40 this morning, on a fucking Sunday, and it proceeded to immediately take a dump on my yard and then howl it's fucking head off. He put it in his back yard where it always used to annoy me, instead of the front yard like the police had told him he had to do.

So I call the police. No answer. I call their cell. No answer. I call the non-emergency line and talk to the sheriff's office dispatcher. Our town's regular police officer quit, and our chief of police is on medical leave. So the only people who know the history of the situation are now out. They're sending a deputy out, but he doesn't know the situation or the agreement reached by our police chief and won't do anything permanent.

I'm sure my douchecannon of a neighbor knows very well that the guy who told him he had to put the dog in his front yard instead of his back yard is on leave and he can get away with it again.

Well, looks like my day starts at 8 instead of having a nice cozy sleep in. Fuck, the day I move into my new house cannot come fast enough.

Why not take this guy to small claim court?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He is a jobless bum who knows the police here are pretty impotent, and I move in a month. There's really no point. Also, my limited understanding of Small Claims (and wikipedia) tells me that this sort of thing is not at all what small claims court is for.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Have you gotten the ASPCA involved yet? The longer this situation goes on, the more I get annoyed with you and the less I get annoyed with the neighbor. Seriously.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The ASPCA's website directed me to contact local shelters, as there is no ASPCA office within 100 miles of me. My local shelters all suggested I contact my local police department. The ASPCA itself only has jurisdiction within the state of New York, and for other areas they direct you to contact local police.

Look, I don't want this dog to suffer, but everyone I contact in any sort of official capacity tells me "We're sorry, the animal enforcement for your town is handled by your local police department. Please contact them."

My local police department is currently one (1) pudgy 50 year old man who has been on medical leave for the last 2 weeks and was on vacation for about 2 weeks prior to that.

I honestly dont know who the hell else to call. There is no animal shelter actually in my town. The ones in the nearby towns won't touch it as the jurisdiction for my town falls on our police department.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call the vet down the street that we take our cats to and see if they have any suggestions on who else to contact.

I'm not trying to duck some sort of civic or moral responsibility to the dog, but everyone tells me to call the police and the one policeman we still have in this town doesn't do anything but come out and have a talk with him.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's not really about the dog, it's more about recognition of your situation. You've exhausted your legal options, and you refuse to do anything even remotely illegal. You can't/won't set up long-term surveillance to accumulate evidence of theft, trespassing, and littering to pursue legal action. You haven't set up a fence or anything similar to stop the dog from going over to your lawn. You won't sue the guy because you think he doesn't have money so it "won't affect him" anyway (it's not about the money - and as a previous link pointed out you can pursue equity rather than compensation). Have you even filed a restraining order?

The thing with situations like this is that you have to exhaust your legal options, but part of that is establishing a pattern of behavior. Get a restraining order, and get a new one every time the old one expires. Document your contact with the police. Write him a letter, make a copy, and put it in his mailbox and on his door. Get video of his dog shitting on your lawn, of the amount of feces that piles up on a weekly basis, of the dog barking, of him stealing your water, of your water bills, etc. etc. etc. By the way, if you win and the court orders him to do stuff, and he doesn't do it, guess what? Jail time. (IANAL)

This is the kind of work it takes to get something done, because the system can't just "take your word for it". Either decide to pursue legal action to its fullest extent, stop basing your moral decisions on what time of the day it is and how tired you are (i.e., get rid of the fucking dog already), or quit yer bitchin'.

I really feel for your situation. It must suck. But sometimes you need to face facts and make a choice, or move on.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He's in a small town. Small towns don't work like cities.

All that is worthless if the only working police officer is old as dirt and on medical leave for half the year

we had a similiar situation where we tried to have a dog/cat bailed out of bad living conditions. We called H&HS and animal control and they couldn't do anything, because the police had no reason to go in the house. Whenever you see like "30 cats found in house", it's because the police were called in. The animal cops don't have the legal authority to enter your house without permission or court order. You end up in a chain of "call other office x" and nothing gets done. And that was in a big city.

He at least put the effort into it, but doing illegal shit is not the answer here. It will backfire, and horribly. Let us not forget that the dude's ex wife is loaded and will buy him a lawyer just to keep him out of her hair.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm not advocating doing anything illegal. All I'm saying is, pursue the legal avenues available to you, or make another choice. I really do sympathize, but sometimes you gotta face the facts and make a decision.

Edit:

To clarify - part of not being a douchenozzel is that people who are douchenozzels will basically abuse you via their lack of common courtesy and responsibility. This means that in order to get them to do things, you will have to spend a lot of time, work, and potentially even money. That's part of the calculus of life decisions. If it means that much to you, then take the appropriate action and make the corresponding investment. If it doesn't, and you are unwilling to break the law yourself (or violate some sort of moral code) to take "the easy way out", then the only real other option is to find ways to mitigate the situation on your end and suck it up.

It's the same thing that bugs the crap out of me about people who whine to parents with crying babies on planes. Seriously? You're gonna yell at the mother who is obviously doing everything humanly possible to get her kid to shut up? At some point, you move beyond a constructive approach to resolving the situation, and move towards being a whiny bitch.

PS - I'm not saying the OP is being a whiny bitch. I'm saying there's a spectrum, and sometimes you need to evaluate where on that spectrum you are choosing to be.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm moving into my new house in a month, and then it's done with regardless. I'll continue to call the police for all the good it will do until they get sick enough of answering my calls to do something about it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He is a jobless bum who knows the police here are pretty impotent, and I move in a month. There's really no point. Also, my limited understanding of Small Claims (and wikipedia) tells me that this sort of thing is not at all what small claims court is for.

it is actually exactly what small claims would be good for

but you move in a month and there's no way you would get to a hearing in that time, so it's completely pointless

here is my suggestion:

for every time his dog poops in your yard from now on

you go over and poop in his yard

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    here is my suggestion:

for every time his dog poops in your yard from now on

I have literally lost count of the amount of times I have considered this option.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buffalo wings do your stuff

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buffalo wings do your stuff

Buffalo wings sound really good right now.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ever ask the neighbor if you can have the dog? He might say yes since he doesn't seem to really like it/take care of it. If you can have it just pick it up and take it to a no kill shelter.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I personally would work harder at catching the guy stealing services or trespassing. If you can catch him in the act of doing this, you have him on something much more palpable and may even be justified in restraining him or holding him at gunpoint for police. Not that you should, you know, leap to old west solutions. Just sayin' if he's doin two things that suck, get him for the less legal of the two.

Also, put up some signs that say "Property is under surveillance" if you're going to video tape him or his dog or blog/post about them.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The real problem is the ex wife enabling this douche to remain a douche...with a house.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    The real problem is the ex wife enabling this douche to remain a douche...with a house.

He's also happy to push shit as far as he can, but takes strong exception when other people push back. I gathered up a bunch of the dog shit out of my lawn one day and threw it on his back porch, and he called the police in a huge huff and demanded they come out and fine/arrest me.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh, does he think you have a magical dog shit machine? Where does he think the shit came from? I guess your moving out, which is awesome, but I feel bad for that dog. Did nothing wrong but get an owner who doesn't care about him.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

TERRIBLE idea. While there's no real laws concerning dog feces worth note, there ARE concerning human feces.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Derrick wrote: »

TERRIBLE idea. While there's no real laws concerning dog feces worth note, there ARE concerning human feces.
    just deny it. it's not like the lazy cops in his one-horse town are going to send a sample off to csi.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In a strange twist to the story, one of the kids was taking the garbage out last night and says she saw the dog running loose off it's leash down the alleyway. Maybe it made an escape? I guess I'll know today when I get home, if the dog isn't out back of his house.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

it is actually exactly what small claims would be good for

Not really, he has no real damages he can claim.

VisionOfClarity on