As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DS/PSP] Puzzle Quest: It's a Bejeweled RPG

• Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    From what people say, companions never work. But it doesn't seem to matter much.

As for preferences, a couple of folks above have played both. One said he felt they were equal, the other vastly preferred the PSP. As someone who started on the PC (mouse use) and then got the PSP (d-pad), I don't find the D-pan a problem at all. And it looks MUCH better than the DS. But if you don't care about looks or music and/or the companion thing is important and/or you want touch, DS is the way to go.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The companions don't do anything in the PSP version. Their usefulness is a matter of opinion, but late-game companions, I think, are extremely useful.

EDIT: I played the PC demo and picked up the DS version. I think the PC version is the superior of the 2, but my experience with the PSP d-pad playing other games leads me to rank them PC, DS, PSP based on gameplay alone.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    The companions don't do anything in the PSP version. Their usefulness is a matter of opinion, but late-game companions, I think, are extremely useful.

EDIT: I played the PC demo and picked up the DS version. I think the PC version is the superior of the 2, but my experience with the PSP d-pad playing other games leads me to rank them PC, DS, PSP based on gameplay alone.

I have the DS version, but I also have a PSP, and I have to agree. I can't imagine trading a minor graphical upgrade for having to use the D-pad.

Also, it won't matter in the long run, because I know damn well I'll buy the PC version, and as best I can tell, it'll be better than the rest of them.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Personally, despite having to use a d-pad, I can't wait for their sci-fi Bejeweled quest that's slated for an XBLA release.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought my level 47 Wizard was the bees knees until Bane handed me my ass. Tough to get by all those spell resistances when your key strategy (Web --> Enrage --> Flaming Skulls) uses all 4 colors.

So I slunk off and started tooling around collecting runes. I hadn't done any forging to speak of before that. What did I learn?

Dragon + Music + Anything = HOLY CRAP!

+6 to all four mana each time I hit a 4 or 5 gem combo? Wow. I had a poison rune lying around, so my version just happens to be a Dragonhorn (or somesuch) w/ 20% chance to poison enemy. But you could craft Dragon + Music + Wisp of Cotton and still end up with the Sackcloth of Mana Production and Awesomeness.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Iolo wrote: »
    I thought my level 47 Wizard was the bees knees until Bane handed me my ass. Tough to get by all those spell resistances when your key strategy (Web --> Enrage --> Flaming Skulls) uses all 4 colors.

So I slunk off and started tooling around collecting runes. I hadn't done any forging to speak of before that. What did I learn?

Dragon + Music + Anything = HOLY CRAP!

+6 to all four mana each time I hit a 4 or 5 gem combo? Wow. I had a poison rune lying around, so my version just happens to be a Dragonhorn (or somesuch) w/ 20% chance to poison enemy. But you could craft Dragon + Music + Wisp of Cotton and still end up with the Sackcloth of Mana Production and Awesomeness.

You know whats even better? Combining that with the rune item that gives you +7 dmg for each full mana reserve, plus whatever.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jclast wrote: »

I have the DS version, but I also have a PSP, and I have to agree. I can't imagine trading a minor graphical upgrade for having to use the D-pad.

Also, it won't matter in the long run, because I know damn well I'll buy the PC version, and as best I can tell, it'll be better than the rest of them.
    The main benefit I see (hawhaw) to the PSP version is the much larger, much clearer battle grid. The colors are a lot better defined. The music is also nicer and the scrolling is a lot smoother, but that's not really a dealbreaker.

I'm really torn between which version to keep. I think I may stick with the DS as it's generally smaller and I really do dig the touch controls, plus juggling UMDs is always a pain for me.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    I'm getting the PC version. The only thing I use my DS for is to play exclusives, really.

Echo on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The DS version is a pretty crummy port. The buttons have very little feedback, it is easy to make bad moves on accident. and oh man the graphics are so bad. They look like they just downscaled the PC version graphics and it looks awful.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    The DS version is a pretty crummy port. The buttons have very little feedback, it is easy to make bad moves on accident. and oh man the graphics are so bad. They look like they just downscaled the PC version graphics and it looks awful.

At least all of the game's features work.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm getting the PC version. The only thing I use my DS for is to play exclusives, really.

You're assuming the PC version will actually be released.

Just because there's a demo, doesn't mean it'll actually be released in full.
    If they were really, really serious, you'd think it would be out by now - but I can't even find a tentative release date.

Don't get me wrong, i'd adore the chance to play this on PC, but 'm very skeptical that it will ever happen.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My biggest problem with the DS version is that when I'm checking out a spell I'm always worried that hitting the help button didn't register and I'm going to cast it instead.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The bottom right changes from "Turn 12" to "Press a skill to see its description"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    im a wizard right now, level 13.

I've got about 48 level up points to spend. what do i spam?

i want a super killing combo. can we start up that FAQ again?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Spam whatever only costs one point. Buy other stats at your citadel.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are dragons mounts? Because I want to strut around on a fucking beast of bones and death, raining pestilence down on my cowardly enemies.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Just because there's a demo, doesn't mean it'll actually be released in full.
    If they were really, really serious, you'd think it would be out by now - but I can't even find a tentative release date.

Don't get me wrong, i'd adore the chance to play this on PC, but 'm very skeptical that it will ever happen.

The rumor is they cut some deals with Sony and Nintendo to get the cost of releasing the game lowered, since they are a tiny company. One of the deals was no PC version for a few months. Who knows how true this is, though.

Accualt on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just wanted to chime in and say this game is awesome.

I'd write more, but every second spent typing is a second not playing the game.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Super killing combo: Warrior, with a ton of fire and battle mastery
    -rune items that add at least 8 to each starting mana type
    -rune item that adds 6 mana of each for matching 4/5.
    -enrage (optional)
    -deathbringer

Enrage if you want (make sure you have at least 6 extra green), then deathbringer, deathbringer, and deathbringer some more. As long as the enemy is not fire-resistant, this is a guaranteed one-turn kill.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    "Rocks taste like sandy chicken!"

Wtf.

core tactic on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Wtf.

Ha ha, you think that joke is old now? Just you wait.

Actually, I think I read maybe 5 lines of "plot" while playing this game. I can't say it's a strong reason to buy the game.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »

-enrage (optional)
    -deathbringer

Enrage if you want (make sure you have at least 6 extra green), then deathbringer, deathbringer, and deathbringer some more. As long as the enemy is not fire-resistant, this is a guaranteed one-turn kill.

im a wizard. help me with wizardry

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    arrgh i want to learn death gaze so badly

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »

-enrage (optional)
    -deathbringer

I found most of my Wizard spells pretty useless until Fireball and Flaming Skulls. They, and Channel Fire, are pretty much the mainstay of my level 20 noob ass.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pb wrote: »

Wtf.

Ha ha, you think that joke is old now? Just you wait.

Actually, I think I read maybe 5 lines of "plot" while playing this game. I can't say it's a strong reason to buy the game.
    It WAS kind of funny the first time.
    "Oh! Haha, he wants to eat rocks."

Which then progresses to "Oh! Haha, oh wait, he wants to eat an orc... and he is an orc...uhhhh"

core tactic on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are dragons mounts? Because I want to strut around on a fucking beast of bones and death, raining pestilence down on my cowardly enemies.

no. theres a dragon spider mount and a wyvern mount, thats as close as you get though. i wish you could mount the undead dragon, that would be the ultimate. ah well.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Red KnightRed Knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

from nosing around on the infinite forums, theyve been hinting a couple of times that a pc & xbla version are on their way & almost complete. i think d3p are a pretty retarded publisher for not announcing it actually - they wound up with a really good game and theyve got NO idea how to market it. if PA hadnt seen it, it might very well have slipped into obscurity.

Red Knight on

O==((==RedKnight=---
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Build up reserves of red and yellow mana while denying the opponent critical resources (ie, don't let trolls get enough blue mana for regenerate, whether you steal blue combines or mana burn them down). After you get a good reserve, cast firebolt a few times. Later on, you do the same with fireball. Basically alternate between phases of resource acquisition and burninating.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey I just got my copy in the mail. DS version.

Any tips before I start?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just got my copy today too - found it at Bestbuy actually. I'm saving it for my ferry boat ride tomorrow though. I'm really excited.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

First, buy up fire and air proficiency until they start to become expensive, then just put all your points into fire, or at least 3 fire to 1 air. Fire is the only one that matters for you. Eventually you'll want to buy enough equpiment or proficiency in the other three to start with eight mana, but that's not too important right now.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nibble wrote: »

First, buy up fire and air proficiency until they start to become expensive, then just put all your points into fire, or at least 3 fire to 1 air. Fire is the only one that matters for you. Eventually you'll want to buy enough equpiment or proficiency in the other three to start with eight mana, but that's not too important right now.

ok, well i completely misunderstood you guys before and just spammed my points on fire. i'm now at like...55, or something.

who are these monsters whose attack equals my fire mana?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man.

This game is like crack.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nibble wrote: »

ok, well i completely misunderstood you guys before and just spammed my points on fire. i'm now at like...55, or something.

who are these monsters whose attack equals my fire mana?
    Fire elementals are the only ones, I believe. They have a nasty technique called Fire Siphon which turns your fire mana into their life points. One to watch out for.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ok, so this is embarrassing.

What exactly constitutes an invalid move? I've been penalized for what seems like an obvious move (using a wildcard) only to watch the computer make the exact same move on the subsequent turn.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    SisterRay wrote: »
    Ok, so this is embarrassing.

What exactly constitutes an invalid move? I've been penalized for what seems like an obvious move (using a wildcard) only to watch the computer make the exact same move on the subsequent turn.

Wildcards only match mana; not money, experience, anvils, or scrolls.
    Also, if you're playing the DS version watch out for yellow/green color confusion.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I rocked Bane on my seccond try last night. My god Stun-Knights are absurdly overpowered, especially when you research bezerker rage and you have rune items that give you 30 Earth and Fire Mana at the begining of each fight.

My only word of advice for Bane is to treat him like a castle seige. Meaning it's a game of resource denial with him. Do NOT give him any skulls to work with, and do not expect to rely on your spells, his resistance is just to high to get a good chain off reliably.

Starting Play through with a wizzard. I forgot how challenging this game is at lower levels. :)

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wizard

Max fire mastery. Don't put points anywhere else, buy points in Air mastery to around 20 skill at a minimum.
    Buy the firewalker staff. Adds one point of damage for every 3 red mana.
    Early game max out red mana, firebolt spam, repeat
    Mid game cast hand of power, then fireball two or more skulls in a 3 by 3 grid. Hand of power bumps a single skull to 3 points, which means your firewalker staff bonus kicks in. You can easilly be doing 40 points of damage per fireball as soon as you get it.
    Late game works the same as mid game, but watch for opportunities to use Flaming Skulls. Also, forge an accessory that gives +6 to all mana reserves when matching 4 or 5 gems using Rune of Music and Rune of Dragons. Then forge a hat that gives +7 to damage for each mana reserve that is full. For magic resistant enemies, just look for 4 or 5 gem matches and burn them down by doing 70+ damage a three-skull match.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    Red KnightRed Knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Starting Play through with a wizzard. I forgot how challenging this game is at lower levels.

a new character certainly brings you back to earth
    you actually need to start examining the board for simple skull-matches again, rather than complex 4-of-a-kinds that would generate from an array of spells.

i think the game is best balanced up until lvl 20. after that you get afew uber-spells/items that tip it in your favor. its still insanely fun beating the snot out of things from lvls 20-50, but i found that most of my losses will occur probably before lvl 20

Red Knight on

O==((==RedKnight=---
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, fuck the post office. 4 days not enough to send it from Kentucky to Texas? Whatever.

If it's not here tomorrow, I'm killing the first midget I see.

Sir Carcass on