As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000: Angels, Bugs, & Power-armored Hugs

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We have to share a FOC, and have to have one each of Elite, FA and Heavy before we get another. Still, with a MotF and a cheap land speeder, I think I can fit 3 dreads in there.
    But that would probably be stupid.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »
    We have to share a FOC, and have to have one each of Elite, FA and Heavy before we get another. Still, with a MotF and a cheap land speeder, I think I can fit 3 dreads in there.
    But that would probably be AWESOME!

Fixed.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I've been seeing some Space Wolf lists with about twenty models in a 1,500 army mostly using Terminators. Are armies like this at all good, or is it a case of olol look at how many termies I have!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It seems to me that a 20 terminator army would be almost giving the game to the Guard. Demolisher Cannon and FRFSRFing Lasguns wipe Termies off the board.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Asher wrote: »
    It seems to me that a 20 terminator army would be almost giving the game to the Guard. Demolisher Cannon and FRFSRFing Lasguns wipe Termies off the board.

Well besides Guard I mean. Not that I have to worry much about that. I'm one of the two only Guard players at the store.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I love my Guard so much. I just wish I loved painting them as well :(.

'Nids are just more fun to paint.

Asher on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1500 point lists with termies is possible, but... dumb?

Besides, why would you want terminators when you can have THIS GUY:
    3984782441_9f822e13b3_o.jpg

Just one of the many wolves I'm putting together.

It's fun.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hah. And fate reminds me just as I started to get interested in the Space Wolves. My four Elysian infantry squads were waiting for me when I got home from work.

I have sooooo many grav-chutes.

Sharp: No sign of that ork gun yet. They said it would be a week or two when I called them. Still this free Supa Zzappa gun looks pretty cool. What the hell is a Supa Zzappa anyway?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sharp: No sign of that ork gun yet. They said it would be a week or two when I called them. Still this free Supa Zzappa gun looks pretty cool. What the hell is a Supa Zzappa anyway?

Thats cool.

Supa-Zzappa is a 36", AP2 and Heavy D3. Strength is 2d6, rolled per shot. Any rolls of 11 or 12 and that shot is lost.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm looking to sell:

(1) Forge World Valdor Tank Hunter

(1) Malcador Heavy Tank with Battle Cannon

(1) Malcador Heavy Tank (With Heavy Bolters Everywhere!)

01011686.jpg?t=1254798800

A $343.00 value! -And these are already assembled, primed, and painted to a good Tabletop Standard. I'll take $275 SHIPPED for ALL THREE ! ( (Insurance is OPTIONAL, but recommended) Shipping ONLY to the United States, sorry, but not sending out of the country, some international shippers are a tad too rough and do not offer any sort of tracking, insurance, and/or delivery confirmation)

I will take great care in packing and shipping the above, but due to the nature of shipping intricate models, some parts may come lose. Take note of this.

This offer is just for the three tanks shown above. Scenery, Terrain, everything else -even the ugly 1970's lamp in background are not included.

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In a game, and saw some fishy things.

Can harlequins really disengage after they've assaulted? Like, he did it in a way that the surviving grey knight didn't get to hit back? Also, when they do hit and run, do they really roll 3d6, add them up, and move that distance?

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I dunno there exact rules, but it sounds like something Harlequins would be able to do... minus the part where the GK didn't get to hit back. If he was within 2" at the start of the combat, he would get to hit before they hit and run

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Thinking of mounting my vets in chimaras for my 1000 points list?

Good idea? bad idea?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    those are expensive chimeras :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    those are expensive chimeras :P

see my edit, that sentence came out a little wonky.

Naw, just standard 55 point chimeras, or are there any must have upgrades?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Matrias wrote: »

Can harlequins really disengage after they've assaulted? Like, he did it in a way that the surviving grey knight didn't get to hit back? Also, when they do hit and run, do they really roll 3d6, add them up, and move that distance?

Hit and Run occurs at the end of the assault phase so your Grey Knights get their attacks in.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Uhm, no. They have Hit and Run, but the test to perform that is made after combat and (afaik) before leadership tests are made. There's never a situation where your opponent doesn't get to attack you with his models that were engaged.

SJ on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I lost a game today.

This makes me happy actually. I can't remember the last time I lost, and this was also a good game. A bloody, nail-biting, close game.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn...those forgeworld tanks are calling to me....going to have to sleep on whether or not to buy them though, car payment due this week.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always try to buy used shit that isn't nicely painted, since there's no way I can comfortably imitate someone elses painting style to make it blend in with my own, so I'd end up stripping their stuff anyways.

I have come up with an idea for cheap rhinos though, I am still prolly going to do my template thing, BUT I found pdfs for plasticard templates of old rhinos, all the way to MK I's I am tempted to make due to my low budget

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thinking of mounting my vets in chimaras for my 1000 points list?

Good idea? bad idea?

If they have special weapons, GREAT idea. Drive-by melta or plasma barrages are the best thing ever.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thinking of that yeah.

Also adding a platoon at 1000 points to house my heavy weapons.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How is this looking sofar for 500 points?
    ccs 50
    power weapon 10
    medipack 30
    vox 5

vets x2 140
    vox x2 10
    x2 plasma 30
    x2 melta 20
    x2 chimera 110
    x2 grenadiers 60

scout sentinal with multilaser 35

total = 500

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not certain if the medipack is a good buy at 500 points ... with your vets in chimeras all the anti-infantry firepower your opponent has will be directed into your command section, and FnP on T3 models is much easier to get around than on orks or marines. If your vets are in Chimeras, they may also not get good use out of the vox network since you can't issue orders to embarked units or units beyond 12". I'd consider dropping one or both options and getting your command section a chimera or the third special weapon for your vets ... chance are that if you expand the list you'll wind up buying them anyways.

Okay, so I've gotten basically no response in the painting thread, but I'm working on a converted leman russ ... right now I'm thinking "lord russ" since it has a lengthened hull and widened turret. I'm wondering if people think it would be okay to kibosh the hull mount altogether and call a designated set of grenade launchers a heavy flamer, something along the lines of white phosphorous. Thoughts?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd say drop the medi pack and take another melta and plasma on the vets. Medic have proved worthless to me, even in larger games.

UnarmedOracle: I think there was a variant called the "King Russ" which was basically a russ++ once upon a time.

Asher on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »

Hit and Run occurs at the end of the assault phase so your Grey Knights get their attacks in.

Not my Grey Knights.

We're playing a weird 3 player custom scenariol, and the Eldar player used to Hit and Run to to move the harlequins out of combat from the Grey Knight player he just assaulted a bazillion inches closer to my Swiftclaws trying to bare down on his objectives. It just felt like it was too good to be true.

I'll let the Grey Knight player he can get his attacks from his surviving HQ in.

edit: just read the universal special rule. I don't think he did the initiative test, either. Not ragging on the guy - All of us are pretty newbie players, but I'm just on edge because the game is coming down to the wire..

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since this is my last trip to the desert, and I feel I owe myself a 40K style present, I am planning on buying a new army. I want this army painted to a very high quality, and I just don't have that kind of skill yet. While I understand that this might get me shot here, I was wondering if anyone had used any painting services, and if any where recommended. I intend on really working on my painting when I get home, but I want that nice shiny army when I get back.

Also, I had an idea for an Alpha Legion army using a couple squads of cultist. My thought was that I could take two or three squads of cultists and use the lesser demon rules for them, i.e. they are hidden plants that the legion has strategically placed throughout the battlefield for timely use. I thought this sounded like something the Legion would do, any thoughts?

afeil117 on
    Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Grey Matter Musings is one that I have my eye on, though I haven't used them yet. The quality of their work seems pretty fantastic though.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    @Matrias: Check the eldar codex... Sometimes they may have a special rule that precludes them from the test. Witch Hunter Seraphim, for example, do not have to take the test, and can move in any direction instead of just straight back.

@afeil117: A friend of mine uses Blue Table exclusively and his armies are gorgeous.

Nax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    afeil117 wrote: »
    Since this is my last trip to the desert, and I feel I owe myself a 40K style present, I am planning on buying a new army. I want this army painted to a very high quality, and I just don't have that kind of skill yet. While I understand that this might get me shot here, I was wondering if anyone had used any painting services, and if any where recommended. I intend on really working on my painting when I get home, but I want that nice shiny army when I get back.

Don't feel bad about paying for getting models painted! Not only have some of us here have taken on commission work before, I'm sure lots of us have models someone else has painted :P
    Also, I had an idea for an Alpha Legion army using a couple squads of cultist. My thought was that I could take two or three squads of cultists and use the lesser demon rules for them, i.e. they are hidden plants that the legion has strategically placed throughout the battlefield for timely use. I thought this sounded like something the Legion would do, any thoughts?

This is a great idea. Just got to find decent models for cultists.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    While I understand that this might get me shot here, I was wondering if anyone had used any painting services, and if any where recommended. I intend on really working on my painting when I get home, but I want that nice shiny army when I get back.

There are links to a few different services in the OP.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was considering using GreyMatterMusings (gmmstudios) to paint up a sisters/witchhunters army while I painted my own Space Wolves army. He's very responsive on emails and does a good job. I haven't used him because currently his waiting time is MAY of 2010... So yeah.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I really wish I could paint professionally.

It's just too hard to make a living off of fulltime, and takes up too much time to do while working full time at another job (and still wanting to get your own projects done :P)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    So, read up on the Tyranid rumors on BoLS. Nothing too outlandish, and most stuff seems like good ideas.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Are scout snipers good? It seems like a unit of 4 snipers + sergeant would be ridiculous. I'm mid painting some up, but I was just curious.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Scout Snipers get good around a unit size of 8. Any less and your results will probably be less than stellar. Mine are always abysmal and I hate them for it. I still love them cause they're cool models though, and they're awesome in theory. Every now and then I run a unit of 5, they do terribly, and then I shelve them for awhile.

Nax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm trying 2 units of 8 in my first Salamanders List. All sniper rifles and a hellfire h.bolter.

Should be fun.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've decided that I am going to try a unit of 10 today... 9 snipers and a heavy bolter. This will be the first time I'm using a unit this large.

Nax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ratlings. Far superior snipers.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ratlings. Far superior snipers.

Indeed. After getting a good spanking from nidzilla last night, I really need to start fitting them into my list(I knew the guy was running nidzilla too, but I didn't want to get rid of any of my tanks :( )

Im also trying to think of a good ratling conversion to fit with the skitarii. In one of the horus heresy books, horus and his warband come up against the false emperor(I'm not spoiling, as this is the first 10 pages or so :P). Anyways, inside his palace, they come up against these invisible soldiers, or nearly anyways, though when they move, they're easier to see.

I'm thinking that my mechanicus have gotten hold of this technology, and have been slowly introducing it to sniper units. I'm thinking of going with an effect like the tau stealth suit(you know what one I'm talking about). Make up some cork and greenstuff bases, paint them up, and then paint the skitarii soldiers with their backs to the basing, to achieve an effective camoflague scheme.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118