As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] The Sins of Memphisto

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say, here! If you're thinking that you couldn't have done something to stop this chain of events, you're dead wrong. If you'd won the last conflict, then you'd have gotten John to stop in his tracks, and the Mountain People would have gotten away - as it stands, the conflict was over so quick that John got there just in time to see that Mountain Woman. Same with any of the other conflicts - if you'd managed to keep John in town, who knows how differently the story would have progressed? Not me, that's for sure.

Anyway, if you want to start the conflict with those stakes, go ahead!
    - - - - - - -

Olive looked at the Watchdog who'd just recoiled from him in what seemed to be a mixture of panic and terror. She smiled at his words - didn't raise a hand to touch the spot he'd hit, all she did was smile and nod her head, slowly.

"Well, thank you, Esau," she said, her words laced with sickly sweetness, "I knew you'd come around in the end. When John gets back in town, we'll get the ceremony together."

She turns around, then, done with the Dog. Back in the kitchen, Faith starts talking to Olive, and they go back to working on the dinner for that night, chattering all the while. Faith looks at Esau, for a moment, then asks Olive, "<What was that about? Why did he hit you, are you alright?>"

"<Never been better,>" Olive replied, "<Never been better.>"
    I like that experience trait, mostly because I had completely forgotten about that sketch!

We still need you to choose one long-term Fallout, and then we are good to keep going.

also I honestly did not expect this to happen, what the fuck, you're fucking agreed to marry them
    Also, this seems like as good a time as any for...
    In a little hilltop village, they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation an' they gave me a lethal dose.

I offered up my innocence and got repaid with scorn.

"Come in," she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

====================
    Part IV.
    The Man Comes Around
    ====================

simonwolf on
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I like that experience trait, mostly because I had completely forgotten about that sketch!

We still need you to choose one long-term Fallout, and then we are good to keep going.

also I honestly did not expect this to happen, what the fuck, you're fucking agreed to marry them

Well i could have shot her but god damn that was a lot of dice

anyway who's marrying who, bitches, I'm finding Prudence and we're getting the fuck out of Dodge

leave Napthali to drag his bulletholed ass back alone

Esau sat, staring daggers at the devil woman. She studiously, smugly avoided his gaze. He had done it in big, and there weren't a lot of options here.

Marry her off to Brother John--or leave town.

...or find the evidence that she was a sorceress, let Prudence have her fun...

He stands and exits the Steward's household, on his way to find Pete, Unity, John, or who the hell ever. It ain't gonna go down like this, no sir.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what's your final call on the Fallout? You've got one long-term and one experience trait ready to come up for you. Honestly, if I was you, I'd be doing something with secret softy - you just hit a woman for talking circles around your head. What does that say about your "softness"?

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So what's your final call on the Fallout? You've got one long-term and one experience trait ready to come up for you. Honestly, if I was you, I'd be doing something with secret softy - you just hit a woman for talking circles around your head. What does that say about your "softness"?
    Good point, I hate that trait anyway

let's kick that shit to the curb and take that trait about ladies instead

also i would just like to say that I actually had the whooping cough for about three weeks

those three weeks bleeeeeewwww

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    jimninja wrote: »
    Good point, I hate that trait anyway

let's kick that shit to the curb and take that trait about ladies instead

also i would just like to say that I actually had the whooping cough for about three weeks

those three weeks bleeeeeewwww
    no more talking about oxford branch

Alright, so your final changes are:
    - Remove trait "secret softy"
    - Add a new 1d6 trait, "women are not to be trusted"

This is called character development, and I really like it!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    next trait is "why you gotta make me hurt you baby"

actually I intend to add another die to raised a mountain man and then start kicking it up sizes

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shit, I made a mistake! Your total was only 7, so you just need to take a short-term Fallout choice, not a long-term one. I guess you get to keep 'secret softy'... for now.

What'll your short-term choice be?

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh shit I kind of wanted to lose it, i got all excited

I'll take a -1 to my WILL for the next conflict!

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DONE!

You also get to keep that 3 for your next conflict with Olive, since you Gave.

If you just want to drop that trait, let me know and we'll just drop it from your sheet. My rule is that you can erase any trait you want, if you can justify it and don't mind the fact that you don't get the dice back.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    consider it dropped! Esau hasn't done anything particularly sympathetic this far, and it doesn't look like he's gonna

Good, she didn't say nothin', it looks like--gonna let him go while she gloats to herself. Go ahead, Olive, and gloat--the King of Life knows His, in the end. Esau hobbles off to Unity's house, not knowing where else anyone would be.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2285948/

Violence don't scare me none = 8

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2285949/

Escalating to Just Talking = Acuity = 2, 3

Motherfucker. That 10 is terrifying.

(dice: 10, 8, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1) 4d4 Fallout

SEE:
    His voice is raw, it is thunder over the plains. It must be how God himself sounds.

Shaking, she lets go.

"Mr. Steward, sir, stop this! Don't wail on that poor girl!"
    (dice: 8, 3, 3, 1) taking the blow

RAISE:
    "You... You ain't no example of Steward! This ain't how a Faithful man should act! Leave her alone!"

Her body, her voice, all, a frail leaf blown by this man, this storm, this storm of a voice.

"Beatin' on her is just as wrong! That ain't your responsibility! You can't just start persecutin' a sinner if you ain't got no proof they done sinned! That's what we came here for: proof!"
    (dice: 3, 2)
    oh, i wasn't planning to use the gun here. rather, prudence is about to snap, and within the next few scenes, somebody's getting shot

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    shoot Olive

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    i want to work up the hate to really despise Unity, but I can't. She shot at me, but she wasn't a bitch about it. she was scared. And now she just got wailed on.

How long has elapsed since we got into town? It's been like, a couple of hours, tops? Hah, we've been so preoccupied with the Steward & co., we haven't met anyone else in town!

Either way. After this conflict right here, it's time to dispense some justice. From Prudence's point of view, it's: Unity embarrassed me, but she's a victim here, so whatever. If John wants her, he should have her. The best to right the sin of holding out for marriage is to get married, and well, Unity's a suitable woman.

If Olive wants her a husband, bitch needs to go find one. It's not John. Can't get anyone in town? Either suck it up or move.

And we really need to get John and Napthali back here.

As far as my sheet goes, I think the only difference is I have one or two relationships. One with Esau, one with Unity, maybe one with Olive, but I doubt it. I shall scour.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh no no, not at all! I appreciate that each challenge is an opportunity to fundamentally change the flow of events, which is great fun to contemplate! I'm just saying that I'm not sure, if the dice are against you, that it's worth carrying on with a challenge that you do make if the numbers are going to result in defeat each time. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if that's the way it works, but it's the way I've been seeing it.

Edit: will start this fight first thing in the morning, then!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    (dice: 10,4,1,1,1,1,1) (fallout: 3d6)

"My sister deserves to be happy" (1d10=1)

TAKING THE BLOW:
    Prudence's voice could tear the thorns from a rose, from the Steward's point of view. They cut into him, deep, took away those barbed thoughts that just wanted to take Unity and throw her into a cliff, laughing at her as she fell down screaming into that deep abyss forever.

He mumbled out, "But, Olive..."

He thought that Unity trying to steal John from Olive was proof enough for anyone to see that Unity deserved to be punished. Unity was committin' disunity by taking John, and... Olive... Olive deserved to be happy... Didn't she?
    (dice: 1,1,1,1,1)

RAISE:
    Ain't nobody talked to Lorenzo like this before. Especially not some girl. Why wouldn't she just shut up, stop influencing him with her weasel words? She might be a Dog, but she ain't lived long through, seen enough evil to have any right to judge his actions. There mightn't be enough proof to persecute Unity, but she still deserved it.

Hell, so did Prudence, now.

He stepped forward. Looked Prudence straight in the eyes. Was he about to give up, stand down?

Lorenzo swung his arm forward and aimed to punch Prudence straight in the face.

Maybe that'd shut her up.
    (dice: 10,4)

(dice: n/a) (fallout: 3d6, 5d4)
    - - - - - - -
    I guess you've got something there, Wildcat! You just have to keep in mind two things - first off, mechanically, the Dogs almost always have an advantage over the NPCs, in terms of the amount of dice you can bring to a conflict. The limiting factor for you guys, however, is how far you're willing to go for victory. Second, Fallout only results in defeat if you roll double 10s - anything less, you've got a chance at living with medical attention.

I am looking forward to this fight, so much. I think it'll be a game-defining moment.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

(dice: 10, 5, 1)

SEE:
    Easy - she can handle herself in a fistfight. It's all them words what trip her up.

But Prudence don't need no preachin' to deal with sinners. God does all the talking for her, all the thinking for her - but it's her alone that must combat these sinners on such a human level.

She pulls to the side, prizefighter-style, jerking back and pulling a few steps away, arms raised.

She is a Watchdog, and a vicious one at that. She will snap and bite, and she will maul. She needn't worry herself with a bark - that's not what the teeth are for.

If anything, her bark is just a warning, not a weapon.
    (dice: 10, 5)
    I totally want that as a trait: "My bark is a warning, not a weapon", when I can next manage it.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2286479/

I will protect myself in this den of sinners = 1

FUCK WHY DID I NOT GIVE WITH THE 10

RAISE:
    "You sorry sack o' dung!" She returns fire with a jab of her own, right for Lorenzo's jaw.
    (dice: 1, 1)

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    aww man I wish I had any dice left, but no, looks like this is the end of the fight

GIVE:
    The Steward tries to avoid the punch, but even as he tries to dodge it grazes his cheek, sending Lorenzo reeling from the hurt. He falls flat on his ass, and doesn't even try to get back up. He hasn't got any fight left in him. After all that's been said and done today, he doesn't want to keep going.

"Alright, Watchdog," he says, wipin' some dust from his face, "You judge her. You judge any of us. Won't see me stopping you from now."

He turns his head and glares at Unity, for a moment, nothin' but raw hate in those blue eyes.

Then he rubs his arms, still sore from that bear hug, and gets to his feet, walking back in the direction of his house.
    Fallout - 3d6=1,6,1 5d4=4,2,3,1,3

At least one 1, and a total of 10 - that's experience and long-term Fallout for Lorenzo.

Long term, Lorenzo is going to take a 1d4 Relationship with Unity. He's let Prudence decide who's right and who's wrong in this situation, but that doesn't mean it's over for him, in his mind. This is an anger that's fermenting inside of him, and there isn't any good that can come of it.

Experience, he's going to take a d6 trait called "My voice echoes with the noise of thunder" - I really liked the way you took that Raise and worded Prudence's reply, summery, so I'm going to make it one of his defining attributes.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My Fallout!

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2286494/

1, 4, 3, 2

Short-term Fallout: A new Trait at 1d4, for my next conflict - "I'm confused, hurt, tired, and I don't have it in me 1d4"

Good stuff Fallout: How about adding 1d6 to, "I will protect myself in this den of sinners?"

After the Steward has well walked away, and Unity lies there still, looking up at Prudence, the good Sister looks off into the dust.

"That's it? This... is this it?"

Oh, lord.

Oh, God. Good and righteous and mighty. If Prudence helps one person, then everyone hates her for it. But if she persecutes someone, they... they don't deserve it! Every decision she makes, every goddamn decision - excuse her! - is wrong.

What does Daddy think about this?

Stay true to yourself. Don't let them sway you.

Yes, Daddy.

She's been too soft.

Her hair is ruffled, her face dirty. She's shaking and and starting to cry. Sister Prudence, she didn't know that when she was to be tested, that meant testing what she believed in. None of this, not one bit, has been clear-cut and easy. None of it, honest. Everyone's lying, everyone has an agenda... there's no "bad guy" here.

There ain't no demons. There's just people.

She's been too soft.

Pulling her knife from her waist band, she waves it at Unity, copying her oh-so-perfectly from just hours earlier, but not meaning to.

"GET UP! MARCH! GET UP, NOW!"

By God, we're going to settle this. Someone's getting married, someone isn't. Hell, someone might even die!

Take it to Brother John, darlin'.

And, by God, she will.

"Get UP, woman, or so help me I'll carve you up. To the Steward's house! Ain't nobody layin' no hand on nobody else, don't you be scared, but if you ain't walkin' where I tell you, I'll cut you open like a ripe fruit right on this porch!"

But first, to Steward Lorenzo's, to get her gun.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, hell, here is a scene. The Steward's marchin' away in a cloud of dust, death in his eyes, and Prudence has got her knife out--how long has it even been since they left, and the knife is already out!--and she's hollerin' and making a fuss. She seems pretty wrought up about somethin'.

All the better.

Lorenzo walks on by him without a word, and he returns the favor. He's got a plan and Unity needs to have her guts inside her body for it.

"Prudence!" he yells. "Hold up!" Hustling the best he can, he gets up on the porch. "Gotta talk to ya! You too, Unity."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Can we start with talking, do you think, simonwolf? If we can, then I'm going as below. If not, I'll re-roll and repost.

(Dice=Acuity + Heart + Relationship = 8d6 + 1d4
    1,1,3,5,5,5,6,6,6)

RAISE:
    As John steadies his aim, Napthali slips onto the ridge several yards to his right. Arms folded, he looks down at the scene in the camp below and shakes his head. "Looks more like a mother than a witch to me, Brother John. A mother scared out of her mind that her child's gonna die.

"So what's your plan here, exactly? Kill her and Sister Unity is suddenly saved?"

(Dice=5,3)

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    guys, I have a plan

but I wouldn't even need it if Napthali shot John so uh

do what you feel is 'right' Wildcat

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    okay, so esau, you are coming over to me and i am over unity yelling and brandishing a knife

whose move is it here

i say unity should do something, just to cement her investment in the whole ordeal, and then you and i back-and-forth with each other.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Unity stares at that dancing knife and can't help but feel that things might have been better if she'd just stayed sick.

That Dog in front of her is crazy, and everyone can tell - shaking, weeping, waving a blade at a woman who not five minutes ago was brutalised by the Steward of this whole branch. Unity thought that Dogs were supposed to act with honour and uphold the Faith, save the body but not heal the wound. Seems like all these ones can do is drive a knife deeper into that flesh, hopin' blood spilt will be the saving grace they need.

Sister Unity stays on her knees, her hair all mussed up and her lower lip tremblin' from shock.

She can hear that Dog threaten her, but she's not going to move yet - especially not when she can see that other Dog coming up from behind, a limp in his step. Then he speaks, and Unity thinks it's time she opened her own mouth.

"They're all crazy," she says hoarsely, "That whole Oatman family. You want me to come with you, I want your word that you're gonna destroy Olive for what she's said and done against all the innocent people in this town. Put that knife to better use than cuttin' up some Mountain Woman."
    - - - - - - -
    Just Talking is fine! You're starting the conflict, so you choose the opening platform for it.

Just to restate, though:
    The Stakes: Does Brother John gun down the Mountain Woman?

Heart 4 + Acuity 4 + 1d4 relationship: [8d6=5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 3, 4, 3] [1d4=1]

(dice: 6,5,5,5,5,4,3,3,1)

SEE:

"Those clothes look like witch clothes to me, Dog," John replies with contempt, "And the fastest way to break a witch spell is to kill the witch. Burn the witch. Burn to ash and bone. All it takes is one good shot, Napthali, and everything will be alright back in town. Seems like a pretty easy shot to make."
    (dice: 5,3)

RAISE:
    John's hands never leave that rifle, and his aim doesn't falter. That witch-woman's standing there, staring at the pair of white men and shaking. The little child is sitting just outside the shelter, completely unaware of its surroundings. Sometimes kids really do have all the luck in the world.

"Once she's gone," John continues, his voice cold and determined, "That's it. Unity's all better. Are you saying that this witch's life is worth more than my Unity's, Watchdog?"
    (dice: 5,4)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Oh, Sister, Sister, Sister, Sister, Sister, I want to, but I ain't got one goddamn clarifyin' word out of none of y'all here! Everybody's tellin' me one thing, then turns out that ain't the case, it's this. I don't like you one bit, Sister Unity, not at all, but I don't think you're a monster here, no." She clears her throat, "So how about, if Olive's deservin' of it, we come to find out, I'll sail this straight through her heart, I swear it."

Still shaking, still whimpering. Voice hoarse, throat dry.

"And if you're innocent and they're the demons, then you can have faith that God will act through me and vanquish them, and you have nothin' to fear. How about that, Sister? Walk before my knife as innocent, an' it won't pierce you none."

Prudence starts to cry just a little.

"I just need to get y'all all in one little spot so I can think about this, so I can get this sorted out..."

Through tears, she tells her, "It's my first act, Sister Unity! I join the Order, and this is the first thing I deal with, an' I done seen and heard and said things I thought I never would. But everybody arguin' an' bickerin' with each other don't get nothin' done - no, we gonna line up real nice, and we will strike down the sinners and tend to the Faithful."

Running her sleeve against her nose.

"So, please, Sister Unity, I don't wanna have to do this to nobody, but I gotta, and none of y'all look like demons to me, you look like people, and I've held off makin' a choice as long as I can, and it's just time, is all, it's time.

"If you're innocent and good, walk before me, and no harm will come to you, it's God's word."

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Esau bites his lip as Prudence speaks. She's finally snapped, he guesses--this Godforsaken town and this love triangle and these crazy, crazy people would drag anybody down with them. He could feel the dust of Memphisto getting into his lungs, his mind, making him thick and slow like mud. Set the injustices of this town to paper, and you could fill a book to rival the Book of Life; weren't nobody could set them all straight. But some of 'em could be fixed, yes they could. And Esau knew which ones he would try.

"I just been over to the Oatman place," he says. "Talked to Faith, talked to Olive. Olive's rippin' this town apart. She's set the idea of divorce in Faith's head, got her ravin' about leavin' town. Got me doin' stuff I wouldn't never do--she convinced me t--she's got an evil tongue in her head. I think she's been cavortin' with demons."

Does he believe it, what's coming out of his mouth? He thinks so. He thinks.

Weren't it better that one sheep were to be culled, to save the flock?

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey, and you know what? Who's Prudence to argue? She's certainly not going to start another disagreement. That's fine - Olive's the devil, let's get her!

"Fine, good! My gun's back there, we need to go get it. I figure, we wrangle 'em all up an' head to see this Brother John, an' we have us a weddin' right then and there! Marry the righteous, and punish the wicked. Be a shotgun weddin' in more than one sense."

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Yeah, about that. You're gonna have to be the one doin' the marryin'." Before she can interrupt, "Let's go get your gun."

Trying not to think about what a coward he is, settin' one girl to kill another to solve his problems. Just ain't thinkin' about it.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Wh-"

She holds her knife towards Unity, but glances back at Esau every now and then.
    i got nothin' else for right now - just plan to head back, get the gun and gather up whoever's there, find olive and take them both up into the mountains, i 'spose

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Unity looks at the pair of you, and then there's a smile on her dusty, red face.

"You're gon' marry me and John," she says with surprise, "And deal with that sorceress?"

She rises to her feet and steps forward, towards Esau, and gives him a great big hug. Prudence might be pointing a knife right at her, but she's never been happier in her life. Things are looking up for her, at long last. Then she releases Esau from her grasp and steps back again, lowering her head to show that she meant no disrespect. That smile never leaves her face, not with good news like this comin' to her.

"Wherever you lead, I'll follow," she says happily, "Just to watch you destroy her."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    guys, I have a plan

I'm not going to kill him if I can help it, but anyway it's more likely he'll shoot me, so

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    guys, I have a plan

I'm not going to kill him if I can help it, but anyway it's more likely he'll shoot me, so
    bang bang

my baby shot me down

doo doo doo-doo-doo doo

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Esau diplomatically continues to neglect to mention the promise he made to Sister Olive. After all, it didn't really count, since he made it under sorcerous influence.

"It's gonna be all right in the end," he says to Unity. Prudence may be on the fence, but in his mind, Olive's already been convicted. "Come on, we better get a move on. I saw you knock the Steward down, somethin' tells me he might not be too thrilled lettin' us back into his household."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    guys, I have a plan

bang bang

my baby shot me down

doo doo doo-doo-doo doo
    :whistle:I'm going ouuuuuuuuut
    In a blaaaaaze of glohureeeeeeeee
    Take meeee nowwwwwwwww
    But know the truth:whistle:

Yes I went there
    (1,1,5,5,6,6,6)

SEE:
    Napthali shrugged, a fluid motion of his aching shoulders. "I don't believe one human life is worth more than another's unless evil has bin wrought by 'em, Brother John," he replied, "and it ain't for us to take the life of another of the King's children without good cause. We gotta be right, and sure, and certain that we're doin' His work and not someone else's."
    (dice=5,5)

RAISE:
    Napthali continued without giving John a chance to interrupt. "Seems to me that you must know a lot about this woman to know she's a witch. Met her before, have you? Seen her doin' Evil's work with yer own eyes? Or did someone else tell you all about it?"
    (dice=6,1)

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Right. Let's git."

To the Steward's house doth they march.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    (dice: 8,6,5,5,5,3,1)

"Things are true because I believe in them" (2d8=5,8)

REVERSE THE BLOW:
    "You need to talk to a woman before you know you're in love with her, Dog?"

His eyes and gun are still fixed on that Mountain Woman, but his voice is going straight to Napthali, echoing throughout the valley they're standing on the ridge of.

"You need to interview a person before you realise something's wrong with them?"

He doesn't move from that stance.

"You don't have to ask someone if they're evil," he says with coldness, "To truly know that they're evil. Humans got instincts, Watchdog, straight from the King of Life - and mine are goin' crazy, lookin' at this woman. Ain't much of a Dog if you haven't got the instincts to tell all that's good from something straight from hell, are you?"
    (dice: 8)

RAISE:

He's not changing his mind about this; Brother John has it set in his heart of hearts that killing this Mountain Woman, this Mountain Witch, will solve all the problems plaguing his love, back in Memphisto. He doesn't even look at the Dog when he continues his little spiel.

"You're not doing any good by standing there," he says, that coldness turning into a command, "You don't have the courage to take down evil when you see it? Just walk away, Dog. Walk away."
    (dice: 8,5)
    I feel like this is ample time for a reminder about the mechanics of Taking The Blow, since it might be appropriate knowledge in the near future - when you Take The Blow, you have to accept the terms of your opponent's Raise. In this Raise's case, if you take the blow, Napthali would have to start walking away. Whether he can continue the conflict after walking away is another matter entirely.

If you can't continue the conflict after you take the blow (from being too far away or anything), you have to Give. It's a logical enough rule, but I don't think it has ever come into play so far.
    - - - - - - -

As the Dogs and Unity march up to the Steward's house, they notice the sun is starting to go down. Night will be upon Memphisto soon enough, and it's been a long, strange day. People are going to need an old-fashioned rest.

Unity stays a short distance behind Prudence and Esau, out of both respect and excitement about what they're going to be doing to Olive soon enough - she wants to be a bit of a ways back to watch the action instead of being drawn into it herself. Her wide Mountain eyes glint in the twilight.

Only the King of Life knows where Napthali and John are, right now.

The door to the Steward's house is open. Inside, they can see Lorenzo's coat and hat hanging off the hooks by the door, and they can see Faith setting up the table inside with plates and cutlery.

One thing they can't see is what they came here for. Prudence's gun isn't sitting where it was.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MOTHER FUCKER

Prudence isn't paying attention until she gets up to the door frame. Then, she spots it. Or rather, she doesn't spot it.

"Ol' Trusty! My gun!"

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh Lord, King of Life, please enlighten this simple Dog: which one of these crazy people has a gun now?

His eyes dart from window to window, and he moves himself just a little--enough to shield Unity. Then he calls.

"<Faith! Where's Sister Watchdog's shotgun?>"

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faith looks out the door and sees the two Watchdogs there with Unity. She slowly goes down to the doorway, and with a perplexed look on her face, tries to figure out why you're marching up to the door like some kind of posse, rather than civilised types who politely knock on the door.

"<Lorenzo moved the gun,>" she says to you, "<Afraid someone might trip on it, in the hallway and all.>"

She tilts her head to the side and regards the anger you're exuding with some curiousness.

"<Dinner's going to be in a short time,>" she continues, "<If you want to come in and wash up.>"

With that, she steps back and moves into the main area of the house again, ducking out of view as she moves into the kitchen. Doesn't seem like anything is going on inside the house to cause great concern.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Ain't time for no dinner! Time for justice!"

Her stomach betrays her, though. Dinner brings to mind: smells, tastes. Warmth. Salt. Soup. Tea. Even the rogue taste of liquor she'd been privy to, as a child - a taste that still lingers in her memory, if only for the nefarious gravity surrounding that sinful sip.

It was Daddy's though. And what did Daddy say about it? Not a damn thing, that's for sure.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    <"Faith, bring the Steward and Sister Olive out here. Dinner's gonna have to set.">

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg