As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - Chuckers, Floppers and Meeples

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or maybe... it would be irresponsible not to pick up Space Hulk.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The limited printing assures that it will only go up in price. :x

tofu on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    it's an investment in your future!

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I went my my FLGS on my way home from work, they had one more in stock and are getting 4 more tomorrow. Price: $120.

I think I'm gonna have to buy one...D:

tofu on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I bought 3 of em... do it! Do it! /stiller

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    RaykefireRaykefire Devil by the Deed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Raykefire wrote: »
    I have a suggestion to add to the list of games you should probably pass on/ shoot dead with a bee bee gun.

Killer Bunnies. This game disapointed the heck out of me, my husband being anal retentive he went and bought all the expansions at once before we even played the game. And it was humorous, it made us laugh but to get to the end of the game after all of your bunny strategies and lose to a roll of the dice.... ya, it made you want to go find small dogs and make them suffer.

Killer Bunnies? Pass...

All the expansions? Aren't there like ten?

I also recall that there's a board game and a card game. Which one were you trying? The whole thing looked too silly for my tastes, so I've never tried it.

We did the card game and at the time we tried it there were 4 or 5 expansions. Ya, he's nuts.

Raykefire on
    3dS: 2852-8431-6782
    XBox: Raykefire
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do you play them all at once? :?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I have a suggestion to add to the list of games you should probably pass on/ shoot dead with a bee bee gun.

Killer Bunnies. This game disapointed the heck out of me, my husband being anal retentive he went and bought all the expansions at once before we even played the game. And it was humorous, it made us laugh but to get to the end of the game after all of your bunny strategies and lose to a roll of the dice.... ya, it made you want to go find small dogs and make them suffer.

Killer Bunnies? Pass...

All the expansions? Aren't there like ten?

I also recall that there's a board game and a card game. Which one were you trying? The whole thing looked too silly for my tastes, so I've never tried it.

We did the card game and at the time we tried it there were 4 or 5 expansions. Ya, he's nuts.

This sounds like the worst thing.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My LGS had 3 of them in 2 days ago, but I think they either haven't listed them on the site or they are sold out. They don't have the price listed so IDK if they are planning on getting more/listing the 3 I saw on the front counter.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Anyone try Ad Astra? We all love RFTG and Ad Astra looks pretty similar but with more board game and less card game.

tofu on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Picked up a copy of Ad Astra yesterday, will give thoughts when I get a game or two in. At the minimum, it gets bonus points for actually coming with plastic trays for the bits.

We're waiting for the report back; PMAvers is the only one on here who has mentioned picking up the game so far.

Darian on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    I do actually remember an old Space Hulk mission in White Dwarf which was best played with two sets played simultaneously.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I do actually remember an old Space Hulk mission in White Dwarf which was best played with two sets played simultaneously.

I think quite a few people combine two sets. I'm not sure what I'm doing with mine yet. I'll probably sell one and keep two.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man now I'm almost thinking I should have bought space hulk :P

I figured I already had Doom so I didn't wanna grab another dungeon crawl.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

A friend of mine got four, so yea. it's an investment. He mainly got them for the crazy sprues though.

etoychest on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    etoychest wrote: »
    I plan on running a modified version of the custom "Get to the Chooper" mission in Last Night on Earth this weekend. Been playing Space Hulk every chance we get since it's release, and it's time for something different. Can't wait to see if the undead can take these pesky humans once and for all.

I saw a game of it come down to a die roll once. A DIE ROLL.

It was awesome.

Looking forward to it. I need to run to the hobby store and get a helicopter. I'm sorta big on props. Yea, I'm a dork.

etoychest on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Got the boy Battleline for his birthday. I am looking forward to winning lots of flags!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Battle Line is a great little game. One of my wife's favorites.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone played Cleopatra and the Society of Architects? I got the game last night for free and just wanna know what to expect and the best way to approach learning it without having a teacher. I don't usually like reading through rule books front to back to learn how to play games, but I have done it and will do it again.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I love rulebooks :P

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hope my roommate gets done his school shit, I want to play Battlelore! Well, I'd really like to play another game of Chaos, but I don't have the time.

I can't really remember when things happened in Battlestar - how far into the show does Pegasus spoil, early 3rd season or just through the 2nd? I'm still waiting for my guys to catch up with the show so we can play the damn expansion already.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It'll spoil the first couple episodes of Season 3, during the occupation of New Caprica.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there like a turn by turn play guide for Axis and Allies and A Game of Thrones? I've read and re-read the rule books but I always seem to forget something during play and it really delays the game to have to go back to the rule book to try and find things, especially Axis and Allies.
    I love rulebooks :P

Me too, I read rulebooks for games I don't even own.

rayofash on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    It'll spoil the first couple episodes of Season 3, during the occupation of New Caprica.

only read if you 've seen the whole show.
    There's also a really late show spoiler, but you'll only know it is a spoiler if you are told it is a spoiler.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

only read if you 've seen the whole show.
    There's also a really late show spoiler, but you'll only know it is a spoiler if you are told it is a spoiler.

Ok. I read that in the BSG thread as well. I've seen the whole thing and the general rule is "don't say shit about the show" while playing. Already had one guy potential spoil something - which I won't repeat here - and he doesn't even watch the show. I hate that shit hah.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well I pulled the trigger with some Christmas money left over from last year, $120.

I am scared to open the box in case something is broken inside. D:

tofu on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The BSG spoiler discussion:
    I laughed way too hard at the discussion of that specific spoiler being immediately followed by tofu's "Well I pulled the trigger" post.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Woot, I've got a rough draft of the rules for a board game I'm working on finished. Once I create all the materials I can play test it. I still need to come up with a board though, I'm going to use the Outdoor Survival board in the meantime.

Critique: The Tribes (temporary name)

The idea is that all the players are tribes starting out in the paleolithic era. The board is randomly generated (resources are placed by the players) and then the players place their starting cave and tribesmen. They then have to find the food and resources necessary to advance and survive. At the end of each player cycle the season marker is moved forward by 1, when it reaches 7 that indicates the end of the season and players have to calculate how much food they have to feed the tribe. If they can't feed the tribe they lose tribesmen.

Resources are limited to encourage interaction between the players. I've tried to design it so that the resources will be spread out, so one player may have one kind of resource while somebody else has another, but you need both of them to progress. You can either trade, or take it by force if you have the man power. I'm still trying to work out the resource distribution and the cost of building.

The game ends when a player advances to the Chalolithic era (Copper Age). The Victory Points are then tallied, and the winner is the player with the most victory points. Victory Points are gained by building, researching, developing culture, and conquest. So although you may have reached the Chalolithic era first, that doesn't necessarily mean you've won (though you do have the upper edge).

There's a "Progress Chart" that keeps track of how far a player has advanced. There's a track for each player, and each track has 12 steps divided into 3 eras. 4 for the Paleolithic, and 3 for the Mesolithic and Neolithic. Every time a player researches a technology he moves his token forward on the chart. If he reaches the next era, but doesn't meet the prerequisites required to enter it, he may not enter it and research the technologies of that era.

There are also "Event Cards". Each time you research a technology you draw an event card that could bring a calamity to your tribe (disease, famine, drought, a flood). These cards usually prevent you from harvesting a particular kind of resource, meaning you'll have to trade to get it. Event cards can be secretly traded to other players, or nullified with a 'rain' card.

Trading works in a way that you're never really quite sure what you're getting as you're not required to release all the details of what is actually being traded. When trading you take the cards you're trading, declare the total value of the cards (each resource has a value, event cards have no value), and declare the identity of 2 of the cards (or both cards if you're only trading 2). And that's it. If a player lies about the identity of the 2 cards the trade may be reversed, otherwise all trades are final.

Combat works similarly to Diplomacy. Each tribesmen has a Combat Strength of 1 which can be combined with other tribesmen or increased with technology. The higher Combat Strength wins. Buildings have a set Combat Strength and can be destroyed for Victory Points.

Players can build 'huts' to increase the total population by 2 to be increased during the adjustment phase which occurs at the end of a season. The maximum population is currently 12.

The game can be played with up to 6 players.

rayofash on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I'm getting a refund on my lifetime subscription for Champions Online because I was unhappy with the XP changes that went in the very last week of beta and first week of launch. So I will have another $200 to spend as soon as it processes.

Should I buy Space Hulk?

I think I should buy Space Hulk.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would say yes.

If only it was more friendly to 3-6 person groups ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I think you should buy Space Hulk.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Space Hulk = YES!

rayofash on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All signs point to YES.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I bought space hulk, it was just too awesome looking to pass up. Grabbed the last copy at my FLGS. Punched out the cardboard no problem, currently lack the tools to properly do the figures though. Got through two figs just using my swiss army knife scissors and already managed to break a pin on a marine's shoulder. Going to hit up a hardware store after work tonight for small wire clippers and some super glue.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you ever plan to need to clip out more than just the Space Hulk GW figs, I really recommend you get the real clippers. I've never found any that work quite as well.

Of course, if you're only ever going to buy space hulk, some wire clippers would probably work.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    ...the tribes...

looks interesting. you mention random resource placement, but is the map itself random? (is it a carcasonne style of hex creation, or is it a fixed map with a grid on it?) the game itself sounds almost dwarf fortish in a good way. are tribes allowed to trade technology? interested in seeing how the playtesting goes, so report back on that when you get to it.

Octobot on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Octobot wrote: »
    ...the tribes...

looks interesting. you mention random resource placement, but is the map itself random? (is it a carcasonne style of hex creation, or is it a fixed map with a grid on it?) the game itself sounds almost dwarf fortish in a good way. are tribes allowed to trade technology? interested in seeing how the playtesting goes, so report back on that when you get to it.

The map itself is fixed. As for trading technologies, I thought about it, but I'm not sure. Technology is an integral part of the game, every technology gives you a major edge. I'm not sure why a player would want to trade one. On the other hand, it may help even out the game and encourage more alliances. Maybe they could the other player doesn't get a VP for it. Maybe the player trading it get's some kind of cultural VP boost? Right now the way researching technology works is at the end of your turn during the Research Technology phase you declare which technology you want to research and roll 1d6, if you roll a 6 you learn it. So it is possible that a player may be having a very hard time learning a technology and getting ahead.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ...the tribes...

The map itself is fixed. As for trading technologies, I thought about it, but I'm not sure. Technology is an integral part of the game, every technology gives you a major edge. I'm not sure why a player would want to trade one. On the other hand, it may help even out the game and encourage more alliances. Maybe they could the other player doesn't get a VP for it. Maybe the player trading it get's some kind of cultural VP boost? Right now the way researching technology works is at the end of your turn during the Research Technology phase you declare which technology you want to research and roll 1d6, if you roll a 6 you learn it. So it is possible that a player may be having a very hard time learning a technology and getting ahead.

The way technology spreads is interesting; it's like osmosis, the ideas themselves are picked up and multiply among people who came into contact with them, and get brought home and expanded upon and developed differently in different places. If you're looking to even out that technology edge a little, well, perhaps someone can only have sole access to a technology for a set amount of turns before it spreads to the other players - then they'd have to race to capitalize on it as much as they could before everybody else starts using it. Or perhaps the technology spreads automatically only when you trade, when the tribes come into contact.

But then I'm very much a theme-first kinda guy, and this seems more eurogamey. Which isn't a bad thing! I enjoy eurogames. It's just different ways of designing. :)

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ...the tribes...

The way technology spreads is interesting; it's like osmosis, the ideas themselves are picked up and multiply among people who came into contact with them, and get brought home and expanded upon and developed differently in different places. If you're looking to even out that technology edge a little, well, perhaps someone can only have sole access to a technology for a set amount of turns before it spreads to the other players - then they'd have to race to capitalize on it as much as they could before everybody else starts using it. Or perhaps the technology spreads automatically only when you trade, when the tribes come into contact.

But then I'm very much a theme-first kinda guy, and this seems more eurogamey. Which isn't a bad thing! I enjoy eurogames. It's just different ways of designing. :)

This is actually very interesting idea. I'll look into it more. Maybe if the player trades with someone who doesn't have that technology, the player gets a bonus when trying to research it, like having to roll a 4-6 to successfully research it instead of just a 6.

rayofash on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is actually very interesting idea. I'll look into it more. Maybe if the player trades with someone who doesn't have that technology, the player gets a bonus when trying to research it, like having to roll a 4-6 to successfully research it instead of just a 6.

That sounds like a good way to encourage trading, as well (plus gives another advantage and reason for going after techs - make yourself a more enviable trade partner).

Darian on
This discussion has been closed.