As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Books! X-Men, New Avengers, etc.

WashWash Sweet ChristmasRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've recently gotten back into comic books, and I'm not quite sure where to start. A buddy of mine has given me an idea of what to look at when it comes to Deadpool, a character I'm fond of, but only from what little I've read, so I think I'm good as far as that character goes. Aside from him, I'm interested in the X-Men and New Avengers. I have Astonishing X-Men vol. 1 & 3, with 2 ordered and on the way, all in tpb form, but aside from those ones my X-Men collection is empty. As far as New Avengers goes, I have Breakout and The Sentry, but I don't know what comes after that in order.

Characters in particular whose stories I'd like to read more of include Iron Man, Wolverine, and while I'm more partial to Marvel, I really like DC's Flash, and the Teen Titans are alright by me as well (I know I have one Teen Titans tpb, but I forget what it's called - something to do with Raven being revived, and Slade's daughter's in it).

One thing I'd really like to do is just buy issues weekly instead of buying them in tpb form, that way I'd have something new to read each week. Trouble is, I don't know what's going on in comics right now, and I have no idea what might pique my interests among available comics.

Any suggestions would be awesome and much appreciated. :D

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
Wash on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have you read the Marvel Civil War comics? The main story is great, but the separate stories, not so much.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have you read the Marvel Civil War comics? The main story is great, but the separate stories, not so much.

I've got the first two issues of that. Civil War ended already, right? Is there a tpb available of that, since I doubt I'd have much luck tracking down each individual issue.

Edit: of the main story, that is.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm really not sure, I had a friend who was big on it but he moved away.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You might want to post this in the question thread over in graphic violence, as I'm sure you'll get more responses, but here's a coule of my favorite;

Iron Man- Invincible Iron Man. It's written by Matt Fraction, started right after the movie, and I think the first arc is already collected in tpb. Started kinda so so, but really has picked up with this arc.

X-Men- Grant Morrison's run on x-men, titled New X-Men is great. The art is iffy at times, but it packs some great moments. (And you can see the start of Cykes/Frosts relationship)

Deadpool- He's a bit hard as a lot of his stuff has never been collected, but if you can, look for Gail Simone's run on the character. Cable and Deadpool is okay, but never reaches the hilarity of Simone's run.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Iron Man: Hypervelocity is my favorite Iron Man story while X-Men: First Class and early issues of Ultimate X-Men are pretty good X-Men books. They also have the added benefit of having a recent beginning and being completely self-contained. Just stop reading Ultimate once Robert Kirkman comes on board.

Beyond that, Astonishing X-Men was a good choice and New X-Men would be good as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a great "help me, i'm new to comics" thread in the graphic violence comic board here, be sure to check it out!

it's specifically made for your kinda questions...

The_Glad_Hatter on