As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Six Phalla Samurai - GAME OVER! A victory for spinach and Rock and Roll

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gone is the dream of rabbit nostrils to be replaced with the nightmare of rabbit nostrils.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dunno, if you vote Gosling out, all that rage might turn him into a Phalla Bomb, and he could take out a bunch of people on either side of him. Uh, I'm nowhere near him though, so that's all okay.

I think voting simonwolf out because 'he might not be here tomorrow' is a bad idea. Worst case scenario, he's a village special, and doesn't do anything if he's left alone. Best, he's an inactive mafioso and it doesn't matter when we vote him out.

There are way, way more people that are far more worthy of a day-one voteout based on their previous actions. In all honesty, neither SimonWolf nor Orange Soda are part of this group. I won't mention who is, but people that actively try to screw with the game itself to spoil it for other people should be high on that list.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hurray for day one!

!Wildcat

Arasaki on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How do duels work?

Can I challenge Kime to an MSPaint fight?

Burnage on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    I dunno, if you vote Gosling out, all that rage might turn him into a Phalla Bomb, and he could take out a bunch of people on either side of him. Uh, I'm nowhere near him though, so that's all okay.

I think voting simonwolf out because 'he might not be here tomorrow' is a bad idea. Worst case scenario, he's a village special, and doesn't do anything if he's left alone. Best, he's an inactive mafioso and it doesn't matter when we vote him out.

There are way, way more people that are far more worthy of a day-one voteout based on their previous actions. In all honesty, neither SimonWolf nor Orange Soda are part of this group. I won't mention who is, but people that actively try to screw with the game itself to spoil it for other people should be high on that list.

I have to disagree. People who are villagers but actively work against the village are the worst kind of people. That's what makes conversions so nasty- you seer someone, or know they were seered (especially if they're a special, which is the situation you referred to)- and then you trust that person. If they turn on you once they're in some sort of trusted network...you're screwed- The mafia know who all the specials are, or they say they'll perform a vital task and don't, or use their vote against you (at minimum).

So maybe Gosling is a villager, or even a special...that will do nothing but try to hurt the village. Or maybe Gosling is evil. Either way, I can't see why we'd leave someone like that alive.

El Skid on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    El Skid wrote: »

I have to disagree. People who are villagers but actively work against the village are the worst kind of people. That's what makes conversions so nasty- you seer someone, or know they were seered (especially if they're a special, which is the situation you referred to)- and then you trust that person. If they turn on you once they're in some sort of trusted network...you're screwed- The mafia know who all the specials are, or they say they'll perform a vital task and don't, or use their vote against you (at minimum).

So maybe Gosling is a villager, or even a special...that will do nothing but try to hurt the village. Or maybe Gosling is evil. Either way, I can't see why we'd leave someone like that alive.

Because voting him out might serve to fuel his bitterness engine, propelling him closer and closer to a state of Phalla Singularity which will eradicate all within its event horizon?

Either that or he'll just ragequit phalla forever or something.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It would be amusing if his attempt to survive longer by not caring about the village resulted in him dying day one though.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Arasaki wrote: »
    It would be amusing if his attempt to survive longer by not caring about the village resulted in him dying day one though.

I'm always up for a good laugh.

Retract simonwolf
    Gosling

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wildcat gets jealous if I vote for other people day one. :(

Arasaki on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As much as I am heartened to see that Eri remembers her vow to have me killed in the phalla, I'm actually kinda siding with Sunkist.

simonwolf has signed up to play in several games lately and then gone inactive/withdrawn/or similar for almost all of them.

And while he is active right now, that can possibly change as it has in the past.

So for the moment, !simonwolf

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Because voting him out might serve to fuel his bitterness engine, propelling him closer and closer to a state of Phalla Singularity which will eradicate all within its event horizon?

This sounds like hilarity in the making. Don't you agree, Gosling?

Burnage on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wasn't even considering that idea.

Until you brought it up just now. Really, if all that's ever going to happen is that I get voted out on Day 1 as a joke all 'hey let's see how he reacts now'- and this would be my second consecutive Day 1 kill, and giving me a total of one day of survival in my last three games- it doesn't matter what role I get anymore because I'm going to die on Day 1 and that's that. And if I know going in that I'm going to die on Day 1, there's no point in me even attempting to play anymore. I might as well let some other player have my spot who actually stands a chance of survival.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As much as I am heartened to see that Eri remembers her vow to have me killed in the phalla, I'm actually kinda siding with Sunkist.

simonwolf has signed up to play in several games lately and then gone inactive/withdrawn/or similar for almost all of them.

And while he is active right now, that can possibly change as it has in the past.

Curiosity, when is the last time, if any, you died day 1 in one of these games?

Ardor on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cmon guys, killing orange soda is much better for everybody!

i want gosling to have fun in at least one phalla.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I haven't had actual fun for a while now, Dun. You're way too late for fun. This is like paying a fucking bill. The only reason I've even signed up for the last couple is to see if I can break the vanillager/mason cycle for once.

Then I actually did and I died on Day 2. Whoop-de-shit.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

Until you brought it up just now. Really, if all that's ever going to happen is that I get voted out on Day 1 as a joke all 'hey let's see how he reacts now'- and this would be my second consecutive Day 1 kill, and giving me a total of one day of survival in my last three games- it doesn't matter what role I get anymore because I'm going to die on Day 1 and that's that. And if I know going in that I'm going to die on Day 1, there's no point in me even attempting to play anymore. I might as well let some other player have my spot who actually stands a chance of survival.

I haven't been phalla-ing much lately, so I'm not well versed in the backstory here. I know that there have been people that have been serial day-1 voted out for no reason other than because people could. This happens, and I don't like it. If you're being serious about not playing your role regardless of anything, though, then this is not one of those times. My vote stays on you, regardless of why you're doing it.

If you're actually joking about potentially screwing your own team, then that's not funny. But I'll stop voting for you if you confirm that you aren't serious.

El Skid on
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Orange Soda :evil:

Maximus on
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Isn't that what Zot did?

Maximus on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Clarification - I've only ever withdrawn from two Phallas (Fire Emblem and Secret Game), total. In both cases, I withdrew because sudden events arose (invitation to a field study and dorm internet being shut off, respectively) that meant I would have severely limited, if any, access to the internet. My choices were either to withdraw and let someone else have fun, or go inactive.

I've apologised for both of those incidents, but they were inavoidable. I can assure you, however, that nothing will be happening within the next week to get in the way of this particular game.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I haven't been phalla-ing much lately, so I'm not well versed in the backstory here. I know that there have been people that have been serial day-1 voted out for no reason other than because people could. This happens, and I don't like it. If you're being serious about not playing your role regardless of anything, though, then this is not one of those times. My vote stays on you, regardless of why you're doing it.

If you're actually joking about potentially screwing your own team, then that's not funny. But I'll stop voting for you if you confirm that you aren't serious.
    I'm not screwing the team over for the sake of screwing the team over. Think of it like this: the rest of the roster is playing a faction game. I'm playing last-man-standing. If helping the village helps me not die, then fine. Mutually beneficial. If I cannot rely on the village to help me not die, then I will do what I have to do to not die.

But if I'm just going to get voted out for the lulz, then, well, the point is really kind of moot, isn't it?

Gosling on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll go for !simonwolf for now, as a placeholder.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I never said not to vote Gosling out! I was saying that voting someone out 'because they might withdraw' is a bad idea.

I'm also voting for Orange Soda because he kinda dared someone to vote him out for manly non-RNG reasons, and I gave them!

Also, Gosling's had 1 day's survival in three games. I have had two day's survival in the past SEVEN. In one of those games, I was killed Day 1 by the mafia, and TWO vigilante kills.

I think I beat him for serial Day 1 or 2 deaths.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »

Clarification - I've only ever withdrawn from two Phallas (Fire Emblem and Secret Game), total. In both cases, I withdrew because sudden events arose (invitation to a field study and dorm internet being shut off, respectively) that meant I would have severely limited, if any, access to the internet. My choices were either to withdraw and let someone else have fun, or go inactive.

I've apologised for both of those incidents, but they were inavoidable. I can assure you, however, that nothing will be happening within the next week to get in the way of this particular game.

Okay, those are the time when you chose to withdraw.

But what about all those painful times where you just went inactive for the whole Phalla?

We waited for you Simonwolf.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'm not screwing the team over for the sake of screwing the team over. Think of it like this: the rest of the roster is playing a faction game. I'm playing last-man-standing. If helping the village helps me not die, then fine. Mutually beneficial. If I cannot rely on the village to help me not die, then I will do what I have to do to not die.

But if I'm just going to get voted out for the lulz, then, well, the point is really kind of moot, isn't it?

I appreciate your honesty. That said, given I have no grudges atm, I'm keeping my vote where it is. I don't know you from a hole in the wall, so it's not personal and I'm not trying to ruin your fun- I just have a roster full of people that will respect their role...and in addition, I have you who I can't trust even if I knew you were on my team.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Here's the other thing. To me, survival has always been a win condition. It hasn't been for most of you- most of you guys are happy to just be on the winning side- but for me 'death' equals 'you lose'. I explicitly made survival a win condition in the two games I've hosted (not that most of the players listened). So I place survival a lot higher on the priority list than a lot of you, always have. Any plan that results in me outing myself and assuring my impending death 'for the good of the village', as I have seen many players do, strikes me as insane. I'm going to die no matter what. Why the hell would I do that willingly?

So an early death hits me quite a bit harder than it does most of you. To have it happen repeatedly for two goddamn years makes me feel like I'm pushing a rock up a hill. I know I'm never going to get the rock all the way up, but I feel like I have to keep trying to do it anyway.

Gosling on
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A lot of people have to die day 1-3. It happens to everyone. Some more than others, but its not something that should just cause you to spurn your role. I would vote Gosling for the lulz but I'm going to give him a break this phalla, but honestly if this "spurn my role" thing is actually carried out, I'm going to vote you/vig kill you from here to forever (and I'm sure so will multiple people). Not playing your role is dumb as frak, and I'd rather have you ragequit and let someone else have that role instead.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man someone needs to give Gosling several Conditional Invincibility roles in a row, otherwise karmic balance is screeeeewed.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, fine, if it allows me to live, I'll play the thing straight.

But if I die Day 1 this time, so help me God.

Gosling on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

i feel that you do yourself a disservice by mentioning it.

its like putting a sign on a wall saying 'wet paint' and expecting people to not touch the wall to see if its still wet.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    At this point, Dunadan, I think I'm allowed to at least attempt the pity vote.

Gosling on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Don't pray to God son, if he still loved America, those damn ruskies wouldn't have dropped those nukes.
    I'd point my prayers to the Spirit of the King... least wise we know he was a real fella.
    It probably won't help. I've not seen a bullseye that big painted on someones back since Kay posted up there whining about his day two deaths.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ardor wrote: »

I was Day 1'd two mains ago. I usually don't last past day 2-3 and for me lasting to day 4 is a milestone. I don't get butthurt like Gosling though. Look at kime? He got Day 1'd for a million phallas in a row and turned it into his benefit. Now he can do WHATEVER he wants in a game and still not get voted out sometimes. He was blatantly evil all game two mains ago and look how long he lived? Gosling if you paint yourself the victim we all just laugh at you from behind our computer screens for being pathetic.

Boo Hoo I never get anything special. Boo Hoo I got Day 1'd. Boo Hoo I make up my own win conditions that are contrary to how phalla works and I expect other people to understand. Seriously cry more. I hope you get vig'd tonight so you can ragequit phalla.
    simonwolf wrote: »

I am not grudging you for Phallas. You left me to dry in the diplomacy game only to be replaced by a more experienced player who had no issues fucking me over. I have been fumbling for 3 weeks in that game, and I never got an apology for that. I have no desire to EVER play diplomacy again because of that game.

Then when I try to kill you in the [Forum Game] thing, I move to the zone adjacent to you and you WITHDREW FROM THAT GAME TOO. You withdraw before I can even get ANY sort of satisfaction for you dying. That is why you need to die here on Day 1 so that I can stop trying to grudge you only to have you withdraw before I can do anything.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Annnnd it has now officially become a matter of him-or-me. Especially since you now have the STATED GOAL of trying to drive me out of Phalla forever. If that's going to happen, it's going to be MY decision, not YOURS.

Tommy2Hands
    Orange Soda

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No it hasn't dumb ass. There is plenty of time to vote for whoever you want. Plenty of time to make a case against anyone else. Even if you don't want to think of anyone else it could be me or simonwolf.

I have no problem with you voting for me, but don't pretend that him-or-me is valid with this few amount of votes and so much time till vote close.

If I am the vig, trust me I am targeting you tonight so you can ragequit. Gosling you are like kime, but not actually cool.
    If I was the vig it would go to simonwolf even though making Gosling ragequit would be awesome.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Actually, you know what, fuck it. This is personal now. Duel Orange Soda.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So down. Duel the shit out of Gosling

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ardor wrote: »

Frosteey's Suikoden phalla. It might have been Day 2, but it was quite early. In fact, there was a long stretch there where I died day 1 or 2 in several games, most of them minis so I know that some people don't count those, but I do.

So, let me get this straight. The entire reason you're voting for me this time is because I don't fill the thread with massive analysis, but instead try to get my participation posts in by doing something that I find to be fun and relaxing? And also because I don't die early enough, often enough for you?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    !retract Gosling then. This actually IS a "survive till the end" phalla, so I don't mind the "I will survive if I can" thing... I just don't think it's a good idea to let it be known that you'd betray your side if the bad guys want to try and blackmail you :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man I really don't want to vote Gosling

I mean I don't even know who he is and I have more hilarious things to do with my vote

But he is trying so hard to convince me to give him the old big red

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I mean.....

I can get that Gumpy might be grudge voting me from like my very first phalla when I compared him to Gumby and was stupid like that....

and such...

But I don't see why people would want to provoke poor Gosling. He's a nice guy! He deals with all kinds of crap all the time at work! And his Phalla experience just plain sucks.

lonelyahava on