As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ditching monthly phone for prepaid... good idea?

Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I currently get my phone service on a family plan with my fiancee. This made a lot of sense when we lived 1000 miles apart, what with all the talking we did.

Now, however, I live with her, and am able to converse with her in person. I don't really talk on the phone like at all anymore. I'll make maybe 5-6 calls a week, and most of them are 5 minutes tops. I'm comfortable using Skype for the occasions that I need to make an extended phonecall.

I'm on T-Mobile, and from what I can tell I can but this to convert my existing phone to prepaid. After that, their pricing page suggests that I could spend $100 and get 1000 minutes, which would last me like a year.

Anything I'm missing here? Seems like there's always a catch with these tricksy cell phone companies.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monolithic_Dome on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Chances are the funds expire at some point, with my phone company if you buy a $15 prepaid card you get 30 days to use it, $25 cards get 60 days to use it. I'm not sure about T-mobile though.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's pretty much it i Think.

I use tmobile prepaid and as you mentioned, if you top up with 100 dollars they are good for a year, and any subsequent top ups get some kind of bonus.

Just make sure to check that coverage map thing they have. tmobile can be pretty spotty if you are out in nowheretown.

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fuzzywhale wrote: »
    That's pretty much it i Think.

I use tmobile prepaid and as you mentioned, if you top up with 100 dollars they are good for a year, and any subsequent top ups get some kind of bonus.

Just make sure to check that coverage map thing they have. tmobile can be pretty spotty if you are out in nowheretown.

Well he already has T-Mobile, so I assume coverage isn't an issue.

Anyway, I'm a poor college student and I use a prepaid RAZR for T-Mobile. It works out pretty great, theres no tricks or anything. Its just for people that don't talk or text all the time.

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had prepaid before I got an iPhone and it was great. I had T-Mobile, even.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    how does texting work with prepaid phones? this might not be a bad idea for me considering that's all I do with my phone outside of maybe 5 very short calls a week and the occasional bitch-fest to comcast customer service.

Smurph on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm wondering about this too, my situation is pretty much exactly the same as the OP's. I'm currently on Verizon though, so I'm wondering abotu their plan vs. maybe AT&T (my gf is getting an AT&T Blackberry so in-network calling would be a plus there, but not a dealbreaker if another provider gives a much better deal).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Check the coverage. Back when my wife and I were looking to get phones, Cingular's pre-paid coverage map was really bad compared to their regular coverage map. Which we both thought was really stupid, because part of the point of the pre-paid is as an emergecy phone.

smurph: this depends on the carrier. I know outside the US you can get text-only plans (or at least plans where the main purpose is texting).

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    on tmobile its 20 cents to send a text. receiving is free.

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I use a T-Mobile prepaid and it is great. Just make sure that you buy 1,000 minutes the first time so that you're a "gold" customer or whatever. Your minutes expire after a year, but they get another year if you buy any minutes prior to them expiring. I picked up an extra hundred I think when I still had 400 minutes left from my initial thousand and that made them not expire.

Text messaging costs a nickel a piece (I think) and it works out okay because you're not actually buying minutes per se but a $100 credit to be used on phone minutes, text message fees, and wallpaper/ringtone/game downloads.

EDIT: I would trust the poster above me for texting rates. I don't ever use it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Check the coverage. Back when my wife and I were looking to get phones, Cingular's pre-paid coverage map was really bad compared to their regular coverage map. Which we both thought was really stupid, because part of the point of the pre-paid is as an emergecy phone.

smurph: this depends on the carrier. I know outside the US you can get text-only plans (or at least plans where the main purpose is texting).

911 coverage is different from regular coverage. Hell, you can call 911 on any phone with a charge. It doesn't need a plan at all.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, the idea that there is a different coverage map for prepaid vs. monthly is just silly. damn phone companies.

All of the places I regularly find myself are solid green though, so it looks like the plan is a go. Actually having an a-la-carte data plan would be better for me too, since right now if I wanted to download a single ringtone it's like "olol you gotta sign up for t-zones, 10 bucks a month"

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »

911 coverage is different from regular coverage. Hell, you can call 911 on any phone with a charge. It doesn't need a plan at all.

Well, I mean emergency as in "My car broke down and I need to call for a tow" or "my friends ditched me after the party and mom needs to come pick me up." Common reasons to have a pay-as-you-go phone, but not exactly 911 material.

They might have updated the pay phones to simply be on their 3G networks so there's less to maintain, but it's definitely worth checking it out before you plink down the money.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast