As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy XIV - Square Enix's new MMO

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Will this be the horrible grind-fest XI was?

A. Probably

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, instead, you have to walk around in an area that looks exactly the same all over the place, with wandering monsters that will fucking obliterate you, looking for a small area with a "???" in the target window. You trade the ??? spot an item and a monster will appear. You kill that monster and you might get a piece of loot and another item to trade another ??? only this time it's a rose seal instead of sky blue seal.

Repeat 50 thousand fucking times.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I'm the only person ever whose favourite MMO of the last generation was EQ2.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm quietly hoping that this is a Dragon Quest MMO with slime-raising.

Airking850 on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mmos is for suckas

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    I think I'm the only person ever whose favourite MMO of the last generation was EQ2.

I had tons of fun levelling a Crusader or whatever at launch

It was truly fantastic

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MatatatMatatat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never really been able to pinpoint what exactly I loved about FFXI

But whenever I hear about it I always have to fight this urge to go play it again

Matatat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »

It was truly fantastic

I stopped playing for a while and came back after the Faydwer expansion, and it really made a huge difference to the game. The small-group play in that game was outstanding.

It's definitely not as good when you don't have a dedicated group to play with, though.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It was truly fantastic

I stopped playing for a while and came back after the Faydwer expansion, and it really made a huge difference to the game. The small-group play in that game was outstanding.

It's definitely not as good when you don't have a dedicated group to play with, though.

I never played after Faydwer

I tell you what, though, founding a guild on launch day and going through antonica with the whole community of noobs was one of the most fun times I've ever had online

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I loved pulling mobs as a bard. Did it really well in Sky, where I'd pull the next weapon and sleep his ass next the one that was about die. Reapply songs and then go grab the next one. If your party had the area to itself and everyone knew what they were doing you could clear both rooms just in time for the first weapon to be respawning.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It was truly fantastic

I never played after Faydwer

I tell you what, though, founding a guild on launch day and going through antonica with the whole community of noobs was one of the most fun times I've ever had online

Faydwer was great - having played the original EQ, when I finally got high enough level to go to the updated Unrest it was a huge dose of nostalgia.

I only got to level 25 or something when the game first came out before jumping ship for WoW, but I loved the low-level dungeons.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Vanguard is what EQII should've been

EQII had incredible potential, though, it was just so riddled with technical errors

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009

EQII had incredible potential, though, it was just so riddled with technical errors

this is funny because Vanguard failed because it was riddled with technical errors

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and doing the Mandragora BCNM 40 was fun as hell as a bard. Always ended up tanking the last three or so.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I never played Vanguard - is that still going? I've always wanted to give it a shot.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    robothero wrote: »

this is funny because Vanguard failed because it was riddled with technical errors

Yep

But now that it's mostly fixed it's what EQII should have been

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Having not really played any MMOs beyond WoW and EVE, am I really missing all that much out there? WoW bored me to tears, by the end. Grinding is grinding, even if you bring 24 other people of dubious skill along.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    FFXI is lots of fun. I keep getting pulled back in.

I am at a rough patch right now with Blue Mage, but I could get over it in a few hours if I didn't have so many other things distracting me right now.

If anyone has questions about it, I would be happy to respond in PMs. This thread doesn't seem to be the right place for that though.

As for the topic at hand, no real information has leaked about what SE may or may not be working on right now, and that makes me a sad panda.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    ff12 ruled

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I quit FFXI after spending an entire weekend LFG in Qufim, or whatever the fuck it was called. Whenever I'd get a group, it would collapse within minutes. When I realized I spent more time sitting around waiting to play the stupid game, than actually playing it, I cancelled my subscription.

Travel time was lame. Run speed was so slow that it felt like the world had twice earth's gravity.

Forced grouping is a bad thing. WoW had it right by making the game solo friendly all the way to level cap. I love MMO's, but I don't always have hours at a time to devote to them. Being able to login and play for 30 minutes is bitching. Having to login and spend 30 minutes looking for a group is balls.

Also, I want PvP. Not just some crappy minigame, but full out PvP, outside of guard zones, anywhere, anytime.

Basically, as long as this game is nothing like FFXI, but has all of the Final Fantasy jobs in it, I'll try it for sure.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    Having not really played any MMOs beyond WoW and EVE, am I really missing all that much out there? WoW bored me to tears, by the end. Grinding is grinding, even if you bring 24 other people of dubious skill along.

No, you're not missing much of anything. WoW was light on grinding, even.

Sorry, I meant "is". WoW is light on grinding. (I guess people still play it.)

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope it's like a new FFXI

I liked FFXI

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    thats why I sorta liked FF11. there were plenty of different ways to do things. but there just no room for a taru warrior anywhere :(

Well they have sorta fixed that with all the new gear available. My gf level'd taru warrior and was almost always the top damage dealer simply because she had to gil to spend decking herself out. Then when she hit 70+ she had all the crazy god gear from other jobs and would put other warriors to shame.

That was the great thing about FF11 was the ability level multiple classes on the same character so you could get all your awesome stuff for black mage then when you level up red mage you got your awesome nuking set all ready for you.

They really should make the start of the game much more newbie friendly. A new player will seriously die like 10+ times as they try to get high enough to start grouping. All that walking back and getting back the xp you just lost is painful and boring. Not to mention some jobs like white mage are just flat out painful to level at the start making plenty of people switching early on leaving hardly any whitemages available when grouping actually starts.

That's another problem too the grouping. I don't have a problem with grouping but it shouldn't be so forced. You should be able to solo but you should just get a lot more xp by grouping. I would also like to see them get rid of that tank, healer, refresher requirement for grouping. Any type of group should work, they should just work differently.

Anyway I'll be checking this out... if they promise to allow custom UIs that is.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weaver wrote: »

Awesome vid. Too bad the game is boring.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Butters don't make me have a dem sponsored bill passed declaring WAR as fun because it'll pass and you know it

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's ok

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got tired of destro killing me in level 2-5 quest grounds with level 5-10 orcs.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Warhammer was fun until you hit top level and grind boring ass PvP scenarios with lame fuckers who can't play their classes.

LOL I ROL WARPREEST FOR DEEPS, NOT HEELS

DPS ARK-MAGE LFG

SWORD MASTERZ R FOR DEE PEE ESS DUDEZ, WE HAS SWORDZ

Hunter on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So many horrible decisions went into FFXI I don't think I could ever buy another Squeenix MMO. No matter how pretty the art and animation is.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I should have played an Orc.

And I should have had a nice computer

• Options
    edited June 2009
    I play five different classes in WAR. My main and highest level char is a Chosen, after that in order of how much I play them, I have a Magus, Witch Elf, Zealot, and Marauder. I switch around through them so much I haven't hit 40 yet.

Weaver on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Warhammer was fun until you hit top level and grind boring ass PvP scenarios with lame fuckers who can't play their classes.

LOL I ROL WARPREEST FOR DEEPS, NOT HEELS

DPS ARK-MAGE LFG

SWORD MASTERZ R FOR DEE PEE ESS DUDEZ, WE HAS SWORDZ

In my experience pretty much nobody knew how to play their classes and fuck hitting top level. Tier 1 and 2 sucked balls and I'm not going to play a game I hate for weeks just to get up to the upper tiers.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm excited for the NASA mmo.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Warhammer was worst than WoW in regards to people just not understanding the basic concept of you pick this class to do this job at the end.

Yes Sword Masters have swords. As one of 3 classes on your respected side that can equip a fucking shield, you also will need to tank at times. If you tell me "I SOLD MY SHELD, DONT HAVE 1 LOL" I will mock you.

The worst were DPS Arch-Mages on the Order side. Seriously, you have a fucking heal spell. Cast it once in a while on the classes who don't have any. You can literally heal and it will increase your damage spells. Just fucking do it.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well order started without an Empire tank so a lot of people were confused.

Weaver on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    lotro has the least retarded mmo population ive seen in a while

Kovak on