As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario & Luigi RPG 3: tag-teamin' with Bowser's internal organs against Fawful!

13»

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a Mario RPG. Do we really need reviews to tell us how good they are?

RockinX on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks fun. Sadly I sold my DS. I was sick of the ridiculous amount of shovelware on the system, and not being able to find anything else to play.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    Looks fun. Sadly I sold my DS. I was sick of the ridiculous amount of shovelware on the system, and not being able to find anything else to play.

Wow, you didn't look hard enough.

In most cases, there is more quality titles to play on the DS than all three consoles out right now.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

What the hell?

There are tons of good games on the DS. The prevalence of bad games doesn't make the good ones and less good. Just last fall there was Kirby Superstar Ultra, Chrono Trigger DS, Metal Slug 7, and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

The DS has had a good, constant stream of good games since a few months after it came out.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Man speaks the truth. There's a hell of a lot of shovelware out there, but there's a hell of a lot of gold too.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Man speaks the truth. There's a hell of a lot of shovelware out there, but there's a hell of a lot of gold too.
    And I had my phat DS until the lites, and then I had a lite up until recently. I played most of those good games. Trust me.

anoffday on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And I had my phat DS until the lites, and then I had a lite up until recently. I played most of those good games. Trust me.

But the fact that bad games exist for the system made you not like it?

I hear ya, it's hard to play my PS3 sometimes knowing that the likes of Lair are out there, lurking, waiting for their chance to leap into my console and force me to play them.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

I hear ya, it's hard to play my PS3 sometimes knowing that the likes of Lair are out there, lurking, waiting for their chance to leap into my console and force me to play them.
    It's no easier for us XBox 360 owners.

Just the other day, Ninety-Nine Nights jumped me in a dark alley.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited February 2009

But if you played most of the good games, then you know that there is a steady stream and sometimes monsoon of good games coming for the system. Knowing that, you didn't think to hold onto a system that has that sort of potential and support?

Oh well....all I know is the DS sort of rules my life more than any of my other systems.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Uhh I never said a word about not liking the system. I said I ran out of stuff to play.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Uhh I never said a word about not liking the system. I said I ran out of stuff to play.

And you couldn't wait a month or two until the next thing you were interested in came out?

Ah well, we're getting off track. Wonder when the import sites will start reviewing this.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You guys can put your pitchforks away. I love the DS. It's a good system. But mine was sitting there collecting dust, and I didn't see anything coming out that interested me in the near future. Plus with the DSi coming out soon, I figured I should unload it and get something for it, rather than wait and get nothing. I was also considering buying the DSi whenever we get it.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Mario RPGs are probably my favorite RPGs. I love action commands. I wish more RPGs used them.

I need a DS, though. I have played SSS, but not PiT. I don't want to miss out on this one, too.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You guys can put your pitchforks away. I love the DS. It's a good system. But mine was sitting there collecting dust, and I didn't see anything coming out that interested me in the near future. Plus with the DSi coming out soon, I figured I should unload it and get something for it, rather than wait and get nothing. I was also considering buying the DSi whenever we get it.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was holding a pitchfork...I was more just trying to understand your view on it. Thanks for the clarification.

I still use my Phat, and so far had no reason to upgrade to a lite. Now with the DSi coming out, I'm finally going to upgrade mine. I'm still keeping the phat though due to the GBA slot, which is absent from the DSi, and I still play several of my GBA games.

Heh, and I still have a GBA because there are several original GB games that I still play. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I picked up the game yesterday and I've played a few hours in. Here's the actual premise of the game.
    (Spoilers for the first half-hour or so)
    The Toad people suddenly begin to catch a strange disease called Metakoro (literally, "metabolic rolling"). So, Princess Peach opens a confrence to discuss the cause of the disease. It's discovered that all of the people who caught the disease bought strange mushrooms from a mysterious cloaked merchant (sorry, the name of the Mushroom escapes me at the moment). Princess Peach decides to enlist in the help of the Star Spirit (called "Yellow Star"), who actually does come promptly but is unable to do anything to help her. In their despair, they call upon Mario to come to the castle.

As Mario you go up to the confrence room in Peach's castle. Upon arriving, you're immediately attacked by Bowser, who is upset that he wasn't invited. Mario makes quick work of bowser thanks to a little help from Peach and Yellow Star.

Bowser, awakes in a distant forest where he enounters a strange cloaked merchant selling mushrooms. The merchant gives him a "lucky mushroom", which he says will make every hit a "lucky strike". Bowser quickly eats the mushroom and falls ill. The merchant reveals himself to be Grackbits (whom I believe the NA name of is Fawful), and explains to Bowser that now he actually gave him a "vaccum mushroom". He can now eat anything. So, off Bowser goes to Peach's castle, where he promptly swallows everybody living in the castle. Bowser collapses to the ground in shock from eating so much.

The adventure finally begins with Mario alone in Bower's stomach.

The tutorials are really annoying in this game. Even if you try to skip them, the supporting cast still jumps out in the middle of the fight to "just make sure" you understand the basics. The game is super-easy, but it does have good variety with both Bowser and Mario Bros. gameplay, and a wide assortment of mini-games.

So far my favorite part has been (Not a MAJOR spoiler but...)
    Around four hours in Bowser grows into a huge Godzilla like monster, and you have to fight against a fortress.
    (slightly larger spoilers)
    You're actually fighting against Bower's castle, which Metabolic Pig has taken over.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Well, I picked up the game yesterday and I've played a few hours in. Here's the actual premise of the game.
    The Toad people suddenly begin to catch a strange disease called Metakoro (literally, "metabolic rolling"). So, Princess Peach opens a confrence to discuss the cause of the disease. It's discovered that all of the people who caught the disease bought strange mushrooms from a mysterious cloaked merchant (sorry, the name of the Mushroom escapes me at the moment). Princess Peach decides to enlist in the help of the Star Spirit (called "Yellow Star"), who actually does come promptly but is unable to do anything to help her. In their despair, they call upon Mario to come to the castle.

As Mario you go up to the confrence room in Peach's castle. Upon arriving, you're immediately attacked by Bowser, who is upset that he wasn't invited. Mario makes quick work of bowser thanks to a little help from Peach and Yellow Star.

Bowser, awakes in a distant forest where he enounters a strange cloaked merchant selling mushrooms. The merchant gives him a "lucky mushroom", which he says will make every hit a "lucky strike". Bowser quickly eats the mushroom and falls ill. The merchant reveals himself to be Grackbits (whom I believe the NA name of is Fawful), and explains to Bowser that now he actually gave him a "vaccum mushroom". He can now eat anything. So, off Bowser goes to Peach's castle, where he promptly swallows everybody living in the castle. Bowser collapses to the ground in shock from eating so much.

The tutorials are really annoying in this game. Even if you try to skip them, the supporting cast still jumps out in the middle of the fight to "just make sure" you understand the basics. The game is super-easy, but it does have good variety with both Bowser and Mario Bros. gameplay, and a wide assortment of mini-games.

Around four hours in Bowser grows into a huge Godzilla like monster, and you have to fight against a fortress.
    You're actually fighting against Bower's castle, which Metabolic Pig has taken over.

The main thing I wish to know is if you are, in fact, inside Bowser's digestive system for the majority of the game.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The main thing I wish to know is if you are, in fact, inside Bowser's digestive system for the majority of the game.

I don't think so. I haven't gotten out yet, but there seem to be things on the overworld which are clearly designed for Mario and not Bowser.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I don't think so. I haven't gotten out yet, but there seem to be things on the overworld which are clearly designed for Mario and not Bowser.

Well that's good. I think being stuck in there for the ENTIRE GAME would be taking the gimmick a bit too far.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What does Eito mean? Is that a name? (I entered your title in WWWJDIC and that's what came out)

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It means "the poet" or "the songwriter". The correct reading is Yomibito, but in this case it should be pronounced "utabito" since it's a reference to ojarumaru (there's no way to to know this unless you're familiar with the cartoon).

If you look it up on nicovdieo I'm sure you can find it.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks. I wonder why the site gives me the wrong reading.

RockinX on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know about the majority of their scores, but I know that they have only given out 9 perfect scores before, so that at least shows they are more frugal than most websites out there[...]
    You should look up what nine games they gave those perfect scores to.

It's educational.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I don't know about the majority of their scores, but I know that they have only given out 9 perfect scores before, so that at least shows they are more frugal than most websites out there[...]

It's educational.

I am aware of what games recieved what scores, and while I don't agree with all of them, the point still stands that they are a bit more frugal on their perfect scores than some sites out there.

Anywho...I have been playing through Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga again, and I forgot how much I loved Fawful as a villian. He's hilarious. As soon as I beat this one, then I'll pick up Partners in Time, and then I'll be ready for number three.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »

It's educational.

I am aware of what games recieved what scores, and while I don't agree with all of them, the point still stands that they are a bit more frugal on their perfect scores than some sites out there.

The point also still stands that their scores are largely doled out by how big the game is/how much of a bribe they get from company X. That said Famitsu doesn't really give anything over 8s and 9s unless they think it deserves it, but they're still pretty damn shady.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, so I finished the game up. Final impressions:

The game is very easy. I didn't die once.
    Some of the optional content can be difficult though.
    The script is pretty amusing, the story isn't.
    Better than PiT, worse than SSS.
    This is Bowser's story, Mario is just in it.
    The soundtrack is the best thing about the game.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Does that mean you liked it?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I liked it. I didn't love it, but it was a nice game. It'd probably help a bit more if I was actually a Mario fan.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mario for me is like Micky Mouse for other people, I just love the character and universe.

So I'm really looking forward to the game. If it's good for a non-Mario fan, then it'll probably be great for me. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Was the combat still rewarding?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oddly enough, this has me interested more.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had great fun with PiT and I <3 Bowser, so this is all good news for me.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Oddly enough, this has me interested more.

Actually, I agree. Having it be a more Bowser focused story has me very interested.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd say that the combat is pretty rewarding, especially
    the godzilla style battles with Koopa.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't even understand and I'm sold. I think I'll lay off the info on this til I have it.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mario for me is like Micky Mouse for other people, I just love the character and universe.

So I'm really looking forward to the game. If it's good for a non-Mario fan, then it'll probably be great for me. :D

Ditto. :)

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's coming here! Nintendo's E3 conference mentioned the U.S title. "Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story." Heh.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    These games have always been awesome ever since Super Mario RPG.

I suppose I'll finally beat the thousand year door while I wait for this one.

anoffday on