As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick sketch critique

Jaketh12Jaketh12 Registered User new member
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, first time poster. Heres a sketch I did a few years ago. Just wondering what you think about the style and how I can improve.

(Sorry for it not being scanned, the best I could do at the time was a digital camera.)

HPIM0210.jpg

Jaketh12 on

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is this the most recent drawing you have done?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm afraid so. I just found it in a folder on my PC and have since moved and lost most of my supplies. I guess I just stopped drawing after the move and was reminded of it when I found this.

Jaketh12 on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You haven't got any problems that aren't going to be fixed by practicing more. I'd suggest turning the page on that sketchbook, going out in the yard and finding another flower, and then drawing the hell out of it.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Prettymuch what metal said.

There is no point in critiquing this, both because it is ancient, and because you are too inexperienced for it to help at all.

Make some new drawings by observing things from life. People, animals, places, whatever. Make a ton of them and then post those.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alright thanks guys 8-). I wasn't really sure where to go with it. I'll get back into the swing of things.

Jaketh12 on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only thing I would suggest (though it's kinda hard to suggest anything on something that is a year old) is to be less bold in the linework on the more delicate areas of the flower, that'll help give it more depth.

Mustang on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    The only thing I would suggest (though it's kinda hard to suggest anything on something that is a year old) is to be less bold in the linework on the more delicate areas of the flower, that'll help give it more depth.

I agree. Try to get out of the habbit of bold outlines as soon as possible. Or you'll end up like me:lol:

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Heh ok, good to know.

Jaketh12 on
  • Options
    SequoiaSequoia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    practice, practice, lots of practice.

Sequoia on