Options

GOP: Internet Forum Is Liberal Echo Chamber

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    What is that supposed to be?

Way to live up to your handle?
    Whuh?
    Captain Carrot is a naive (or is he?...) individual who would not recognize an emoticon ASCII of a Penis.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want Glenn Beck to give me proof that he won't murder abortionists. Not that I think he will, but I feel like he will, and I know a lot of other people out there feel like he will too. I don't need any proof, because I know he wouldn't, but I want some proof.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I want Glenn Beck to give me proof that he won't murder abortionists. Not that I think he will, but I feel like he will, and I know a lot of other people out there feel like he will too. I don't need any proof, because I know he wouldn't, but I want some proof.

you're doing it wrong.

the right way is to not even leave it open for proof. You say that you know he won't do it, but you still WANT to ask him if he's planning on doing it.

Essentially, you accuse him of it, without giving him the opportunity to defend himself (because it isn't a "real" accusation)

it's kind of diabolical

Evander on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evander wrote: »

you're doing it wrong.

the right way is to not even leave it open for proof. You say that you know he won't do it, but you still WANT to ask him if he's planning on doing it.

Essentially, you accuse him of it, without giving him the opportunity to defend himself (because it isn't a "real" accusation)

it's kind of diabolical

It's not that different from the trope 'people say' bullshit. I mean, hey, I'm not saying it. People are. Those bastards. So why are you getting all defensive at me? I'm on your side. It's just those dastardly persons who want me to ask this insane question.

moniker on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Whuh?
    Captain Carrot is a naive (or is he?...) individual who would not recognize an emoticon ASCII of a Penis.

I can't imagine Captain Carrot would recognize any emoticon or ASCII at all, really. Unless a further Discworld sequel has a really weird plot.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

you're doing it wrong.

it's kind of diabolical

I am kind of an asshole, so I thought it was funny instead of tragic when Beck cut the senator's defense off with, "Stop defending yourself because you don't need to! I'm just saying you should!"

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Whuh?

I can't imagine Captain Carrot would recognize any emoticon or ASCII at all, really. Unless a further Discworld sequel has a really weird plot.
    Mm, he is deceptively clever. It's not as if ASCII is this incredibly complex code.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Whuh?

Mm, he is deceptively clever. It's not as if ASCII is this incredibly complex code.

Yes but early Captain Carrot would honestly not recognize it while later Captain Carrot would just act as if he didn't.....probably. I mean, he's have to, right? He's a copper, there is no way...

Which is why he can get away with it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Whuh?

Yes but early Captain Carrot would honestly not recognize it while later Captain Carrot would just act as if he didn't.....probably. I mean, he's have to, right? He's a copper, there is no way...

Also, sleeping with someone probably gets you familiar anatomy. Then again, he did have lodgings with Mrs. Palm for awhile and had no idea.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Whuh?

Also, sleeping with someone probably gets you familiar anatomy. Then again, he did have lodgings with Mrs. Palm for awhile and had no idea.

How much Carrot does and does not realize is one of the enduring mysteries of the Discworld. Even Vimes has noticed this.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »

you're doing it wrong.

it's kind of diabolical

It's not that different from the trope 'people say' bullshit. I mean, hey, I'm not saying it. People are. Those bastards. So why are you getting all defensive at me? I'm on your side. It's just those dastardly persons who want me to ask this insane question.

it think it's honestly a little worse, because not only is Beck not taking responsibility for his words, but he is even PRETENDING to defend the other guy, while still putting the words out there for his viewers to hear and internalize

Evander on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NY Senate, you so crazy.
    Senate Democrats entered the Senate chamber through a back hallway on Tuesday afternoon and locked themselves in, pulling off a sneak attack of sorts in the ongoing battle for control of the State Senate.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They are starting to remind me of university student politics.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In other news, the Sanford disappearance story seems to have taken a turn for the even more bizarre;

His stafff's story about his disappearance puts him on the Appalachian Trail on Naked Hiking Day.

I wonder if they've got a backup to their backup story.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    NY Senate, you so crazy.
    Senate Democrats entered the Senate chamber through a back hallway on Tuesday afternoon and locked themselves in, pulling off a sneak attack of sorts in the ongoing battle for control of the State Senate.

Wow. Really, just... wow.

In the earlier thread on the NY Senate I speculated that they'd have some kind of non-insane procedure for handling this, but apparently not.

So apparently they're just going to pretend that they've won and see who can maintain the pretense the longest. Like, by occupying the podium first and then asking the senate guards to block the other guy from getting on. O_o
    Exactly who was in control of the Senate — or whether any of the procedural action the Republicans had taken was legally valid — was unclear. Democrats were successful in blocking Republicans from taking control of the Senate gavel, which remained firmly in the hands of Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins of Westchester County, who was guarded by sergeants-at-arms on both sides.

Shortly after Republicans walked onto the Senate floor, their leader, Dean G. Skelos, called the chamber to order and asked one of the Senate Republicans’ deputy leaders, George H. Winner Jr., to “take the podium.” Mr. Winner, who was standing at the front of the chamber, attempted to climb the stairs that lead to the podium where the presiding officer stands but was stopped by a Senate guard.

“Senator Skelos,” Mr. Winner responded, “I have been instructed by the sergeant-at-arms not to take the podium.” Mr. Winner then walked to a desk in front of the podium, called the Senate to order from there and began calling votes on a list of bills. Since Democrats sat silent and did not voice any objections, Mr. Winner claimed that each bill passed by a vote of 62 to 0.

O_o

Wow. I used to cite Taiwan's chair-throwing legislature as my favorite example of legislative O_o, but now I've got an even better one.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NY Senate, you so crazy.

Seriously, if Americans care about their government at all not a single person currently serving will be reelected to the state legislature.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In other news, the Sanford disappearance story seems to have taken a turn for the even more bizarre;

His stafff's story about his disappearance puts him on the Appalachian Trail on Naked Hiking Day.

That's not change we can believe in.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    NY Senate, you so crazy.

In the earlier thread on the NY Senate I speculated that they'd have some kind of non-insane procedure for handling this, but apparently not.

So apparently they're just going to pretend that they've won and see who can maintain the pretense the longest. Like, by occupying the podium first and then asking the senate guards to block the other guy from getting on. O_o
    Exactly who was in control of the Senate — or whether any of the procedural action the Republicans had taken was legally valid — was unclear. Democrats were successful in blocking Republicans from taking control of the Senate gavel, which remained firmly in the hands of Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins of Westchester County, who was guarded by sergeants-at-arms on both sides.

Shortly after Republicans walked onto the Senate floor, their leader, Dean G. Skelos, called the chamber to order and asked one of the Senate Republicans’ deputy leaders, George H. Winner Jr., to “take the podium.” Mr. Winner, who was standing at the front of the chamber, attempted to climb the stairs that lead to the podium where the presiding officer stands but was stopped by a Senate guard.

“Senator Skelos,” Mr. Winner responded, “I have been instructed by the sergeant-at-arms not to take the podium.” Mr. Winner then walked to a desk in front of the podium, called the Senate to order from there and began calling votes on a list of bills. Since Democrats sat silent and did not voice any objections, Mr. Winner claimed that each bill passed by a vote of 62 to 0.

O_o

Wow. I used to cite Taiwan's chair-throwing legislature as my favorite example of legislative O_o, but now I've got an even better one.

That sounds like the best day in the NY Senate in history. They need to get some cameras in there and make it a reality show.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    NY Senate, you so crazy.

O_o

That sounds like the best day in the NY Senate in history. They need to get some cameras in there and make it a reality show.
    Only way it could be topped if there were two completely independent sessions going on at the same time, each passing bills unanimously, followed by resolutions about the other side being douche bags.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Great, and lately Democrats were doing so well in not acting like complete fucktards. Thanks a lot, NY Senate.
    Only way it could be topped if there were two completely independent sessions going on at the same time, each passing bills unanimously, followed by resolutions about the other side being douche bags.

I would, without a doubt, pay money to see this.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    NY Senate, you so crazy.

O_o

Read the article, it's glorious!
    ALBANY —Republicans and Democrats attempted to hold separate Senate sessions at the same time on Tuesday, leaving the Capitol in confusion and bickering as members of both parties shouted over each other on the Senate floor, and each party claimed it was in control.

Republicans attempted to continue passing bills as Democrats called their moves out of order and moved to bring Senate proceedings at ease.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Someone should suggest this course of action to both sides. C-Span could air it split screen.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Someone should suggest this course of action to both sides. C-Span could air it split screen.
    Someone should pitch it to California. With Ahnold refereeing.

Kiss those budget woes goodbye.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    NY Senate, you so crazy.

Seriously, if Americans care about their government at all not a single person currently serving will be reelected to the state legislature.
    So they'll all be fine. :(

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe they'll get some paint and divide the room in half.

And maybe when they're done with that, they could have some whacky adventures in loving and learning and laughing.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

And maybe when they're done with that, they could have some whacky adventures in loving and learning and laughing.
    I'm picturing this:

Daaaaad, the Republicans are legislating on our side of the room!

Followed by this:

Daaaaad, tell the Democrats to let us have the gavel!

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I'm picturing this:

Followed by this:

The NY Senate today passed a bipartisan resolution to saw the NY Capitol building in half.

This bill is expected to stimulate the state's economy through its several thousand chainsaw-owners.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Great, and lately Democrats were doing so well in not acting like complete fucktards. Thanks a lot, NY Senate.

I would, without a doubt, pay money to see this.

I find the most shocking thing that the R's decided to show up an hour early so when things were forced to start at 3 they'd be the ones standing at the podium.

The D's showed up at 12:30 and locked the doors.

I am amazed it was the D's who showed foresight in petty theatrics.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

I'm picturing this:

Followed by this:

The NY Senate today passed a bipartisan resolution to saw the NY Capitol building in half.

This bill is expected to stimulate the state's economy through its several thousand chainsaw-owners.
    I can imagine the hijinks that will ensue when the Democrats discover the Republicans have the TV on their side, and the Republicans realize the Democrats have the fridge.

Tach on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tach wrote: »

I'm picturing this:

Followed by this:

I can imagine the hijinks that will ensue when the Democrats discover the Republicans have the TV on their side, and the Republicans realize the Democrats have the fridge.

Ever read Lord of the Flies?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zombie Nixon does not approve
    Nixon worried that greater access to abortions would foster “permissiveness,” and said that “it breaks the family.” But he also saw a need for abortion in some cases, such as interracial pregnancies.

“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white,” he told an aide, before adding: “Or a rape.”

Even from beyond the grave this guy creeps me out.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nixon worried that greater access to abortions would foster “permissiveness,” and said that “it breaks the family.” But he also saw a need for abortion in some cases, such as interracial pregnancies.

“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white,” he told an aide, before adding: “Or a rape.”

"Rape children are bad, but really the first thing that springs to mind when I think about babies that need killin'? Them mulattos."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

"Rape children are bad, but really the first thing that springs to mind when I think about babies that need killin'? Them mulattos."
    We really need a running recording of every single elected official's private conversations. If it weren't a horrible violation of their civil rights, it would be incredibly illuminating.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh good, the right wing blogs are exploding over Obama taking a question from Huffington Post.

Apparently Obama had heard that HuffPo was receiving questions from Iranians that they wanted to ask Obama, and so Obama met with HuffPo to go over the particulars about it during his press conference.

Apparently this means all of Obama's press conferences and town halls are scripted and further proof that the media is just the long arm of the DNC/Obama's administration.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Oh good, the right wing blogs are exploding over Obama taking a question from Huffington Post.

Apparently Obama had heard that HuffPo was receiving questions from Iranians that they wanted to ask Obama, and so Obama met with HuffPo to go over the particulars about it during his press conference.

Apparently this means all of Obama's press conferences and town halls are scripted and further proof that the media is just the long arm of the DNC/Obama's administration.
    Wasn't there a dude from a rightwing blog who asked Dana Perino something along the lines of "isn't this all really the Democrats' fault?"?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Wasn't there a dude from a rightwing blog who asked Dana Perino something along the lines of "isn't this all really the Democrats' fault?"?

No no, he was a gay male prostitute with a false name and a website. Also, I think it was during the Scott McClellan era, maybe Ari Fleischer. Jeff Gannon/Guckert, I think?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No no, he was a gay male prostitute with a false name and a website. Also, I think it was during the Scott McClellan era, maybe Ari Fleischer. Jeff Gannon/Guckert, I think?
    Yeah, it was Jeff Gannon.

Known on certain websites as "Bulldog" IIRC.

Duffel on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

On Tuesday, sources told News 4's Nigel Robertson that a state vehicle is missing and was tracked down, not to the Appalachian Trail, but to the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta. Sources told Robertson that a federal agent spotted Sanford in the airport boarding a plane. Robertson was told that the governor was not accompanied by security detail.

He's in Iran, fighting for freedom!

Unlike those pansy ass Democrats, all not wanting to meddle in Iran's affairs. He's a traditionalist when it comes to foreign policy.

moniker on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »

On Tuesday, sources told News 4's Nigel Robertson that a state vehicle is missing and was tracked down, not to the Appalachian Trail, but to the Hartsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta. Sources told Robertson that a federal agent spotted Sanford in the airport boarding a plane. Robertson was told that the governor was not accompanied by security detail.

He's in Iran, fighting for freedom!

Unlike those pansy ass Democrats, all not wanting to meddle in Iran's affairs. He's a traditionalist when it comes to foreign policy.

The cover up gets em everytime. That and changing stories.

"I was um... hiking the Appalachian Trail."
    "On Naked Hiking Day"
    "Who-what now?"

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to say this pretty much kills Sanford's career, but....South Carolina.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.