As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 Hard Drive Transfer

PeenPeen Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just traded in my old thrice red-ringed 360 for a brand spankin new Pro. It's got a 60 GB hard drive, which I'd love to use to replace my old 20GB. Thing is, I can't seem to figure out how to get ahold of a hard drive transfer kit. I saw that they used to give them out with new Elites but I can't find a recent reference to how to get one. Any of you fine people know?

Peen on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They gave them to the Engadget guys with their Elite, but they actually only come with new 120 gig drives, or you can buy them seperately.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Buy them?

You can get them for free from Xbox.com. You just have to fill out a form, fax it and you'll get it in 7-10 days. I just did this for myself.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    See, that's what I thought. But I can't for the life of me actually find that form on their website.

Peen on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From what I've been reading elsewhere, it's $12 now and the original order form has been pulled from the MS website. I bet they were getting a lot of illegitimate requests (e.g. from modders and the like), and putting a nominal fee on the part cuts down on that. If you call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and explain your situation though, they may comp you one seeing as you've just bought a second console. In fact, if they aren't willing to do that I'd ask to speak to a manager.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    What? I just did it like 2 weeks ago. Did they really just change it?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the process straightforward? With the kit that comes with the 120GB hard drive, I mean.

I've really wanted to upgrade from my 20GB one, but I wasn't sure how pain-free the process would be. I don't have a huge amount of DLC, but I do have some (TR:U expansions, a few Arcade games, map packs, etc).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What? I just did it like 2 weeks ago. Did they really just change it?
    The link is in my work PC's browser history, and I can't find the magic combo of search terms I used to find this earlier today. It was a thread with posts from yesterday bitching about how the cable was no longer free. So it seems like a really recent change.

Edit: Also, the link to the PDF order form I've seen everywhere while searching comes back with a 404 now.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this is infuriating. i can find a billion links pointing to the "major nelson shows you how to blah blah blah" but no page to actually ORDER the fucking thing. seems like it should be a no-brainer to have a link to that sort of thing ON the "how to" page itself.

edit: apparently, you can order from their customer support 1-800-4MY-XBOX

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok I don't know how to update thread titles but I called customer support like ascannerlightly said to and during call #1 the automated system said to search for a "data migration kit order form" on Xbox.com. I figured maybe I'd been searching for the wrong term and so I went back to the internet and tried it. It didn't work and no such form exists.

I called back and after fighting my way through the automated system again I got a real person and with 5 minutes of wrangling they're sending me a kit for free. So yeah, if you need one than ditch their website and call customer service.

Peen on