As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SCOTUS to Rule on Major Job Discrimination Case

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oddly enough, Tzar pretty well argued against this ruling. He said that no one has a right to a job. Oh hey, isn't that what Ginsburg said in her dissent?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Oddly enough, Tzar pretty well argued against this ruling. He said that no one has a right to a job. Oh hey, isn't that what Ginsburg said in her dissent?

To be fair to Tzar, his position is a bit more complicated than that. The reason the city chose not to certify the test was because they feared doing so would provoke a Title VII suit. Such a suit with restrict an employer's hiring choices, and I believe that is where Tzar thinks the injustice exists.

Hachface on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    streever wrote: »
    RedTide:
    there was no physical portion to the test, something which a lot of firefighter--even white firefighters--were unhappy about here.

I know, I was comparing a proposed change in the promotional exams grading to a way that a portion of NJ's application exams are conducted and how I think it works for one better then the other.

Also no one in this dispute cited a lack of a physical portion as a drawback, although in the initial complaint the black firefighters did state that they thought the verbal portion of the exam should have its value increased.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009

That argument is hollow, as it goes both ways. None of the blacks that didn't pass the promotional exam have a right to the jobs either.

And again, the court didn't rule that the the whites were victims of "disparate-impact." Instead, the ruling is simply that the city can not throw out the results without more basis in evidence that they directly caused a disparate impact.

taeric on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Was it ever revealed how many non-blacks failed the test too?

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    taeric wrote: »
    It increased the burden of proof for bringing discrimination cases. Basically, if this case had been tried using the case law as the SC has changed it now, the city could've done nothing and a lawsuit would've gone nowhere without every having to really examine whether the allegations of racial discrimination had merit. Institutional, unconscious racism is hard enough to prove already.

It only increased it by requiring that they have some. Again, there was already plenty of evidence that the city tried to be "race neutral" in this case. The results did not come out that way, and, minus the evidence that the city attempted to be fair, that would have been enough. With that fact, you now need a little more than just the results as evidence. Further, you actually also need an alternative that could have been used to produce more fair results. (The city considered several different ways to do things, all of them were essentially considered arbitrary. The banding one, I still have questions on. You basically changed it from "The 'top 3' scores in a 100 point system, to the 'the top 3' in a 4.0 system." At least, that is how it read to me, so I am hoping someone can straighten me out on that one..)

In other words, if a company did not spend a ton of money creating a "race neutral" test that was job related, then simply skewed results would be enough to go forward with a lawsuit. Unless you are opposed to any sort of standardized testing at all, this can only help by encouraging more of them. Hopefully in such a way that they can be audited by national bodies that can ensure they are not discriminatory.

That's the thing, beyond the results, which may seem skewed (small samples can be funny in that way), there was no evidence that there was racial bias of any kind.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Was it ever revealed how many non-blacks failed the test too?

Yeah, the ruling has the pass rates for all parties. I can definitely understand the suspicion that something was up. However, as steps were specifically taken to avoid such a situation, there needs to be more than just a suspicion. I would be curious to see the pass/fail rates of other tests designed by this company.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That argument is hollow, as it goes both ways. None of the blacks that didn't pass the promotional exam have a right to the jobs either.

I don't think anyone except the firefighters were arguing that they had a right to those jobs. I just thought it was funny that Tzar was using that reasoning to support his argument.
    And again, the court didn't rule that the the whites were victims of "disparate-impact." Instead, the ruling is simply that the city can not throw out the results without more basis in evidence that they directly caused a disparate impact.

Which seems reasonable, except it just makes it even harder to sue for racial discrimination. I mean, how much evidence is enough?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Part of the issue is how the written portion of the test was weighted compared to the oral portion. Written exams by their very nature test a variety of skills distinct from the skillset they are intended to evaluate (literacy, reading comprehension, and reading speed, all in the dialect of Standard Written English, which is really Standard White English). If, as is often the case, schools in black neighborhoods and schools in white neighborhoods have significant differences in educational quality, this can easily skew the results of any written test. Oh hey, look--the world is complicated!

Hachface on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tzar:
    I apologize if I sound rude, but I took your approach (reducing arguments to one-sided logical fallacies & dismissing a serious history of racial inequality) to be rude.

I was trying to have a converation, but you decided to take my comments out of context & mock them, just as you did with Taeric's and others. In my mind, that's the break-down point of what consistutes a conversation, and even a debate--that leaves you in a cyclical argument you've stacked so it never ends.

Apologies if you feel offended--

streever on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I don't think anyone except the firefighters were arguing that they had a right to those jobs. I just thought it was funny that Tzar was using that reasoning to support his argument.

Which seems reasonable, except it just makes it even harder to sue for racial discrimination. I mean, how much evidence is enough?

Like has been said: some or any would be a great start. In this case, there was none.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But isn't that how this argument works? You have to throw it out because the minority members that didn't pass are victims of disparate-impact because they did not get the job. I could see how someone would read this as saying that some member X of the minority has a right to the job. So, either you say that they did have a right to the job by meeting the stated requirements. Or you state that they specifically don't have a right to the job because someone else does.

How does that make it harder? And it isn't like this is done. It was specifically sent back down to the lower courts to argue the details some more. Again, the evidence just has to outweigh the counter-evidence. If they have done nothing to show it is a racially neutral and job related test, then you just need the results.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Part of the issue is how the written portion of the test was weighted compared to the oral portion. Written exams by their very nature test a variety of skills distinct from the skillset they are intended to evaluate (literacy, reading comprehension, and reading speed, all in the dialect of Standard Written English, which is really Standard White English). If, as is often the case, schools in black neighborhoods and schools in white neighborhoods have significant differences in educational quality, this can easily skew the results of any written test. Oh hey, look--the world is complicated!

If I ever get a test someday and it says "dat hot shit" and I can't figure out if they mean the new Air Jordans, a steaming dump or a fucking fire I'm going to come to your house and hit you with a halligan.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

And this was considered. They could have weighted the test differently, but were contractually held by the firefighters union to use the weighting they did. Further, changing the weighting would have simply added a very small handful of minorities to the results. Finally, any change in weighting would have to be based on a logical job related requirement. The court had to assume since the firefighters union mandated the weighting that was used, it had a rational reason and changing it would still violate title VII.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    RedTide wrote: »

If I ever get a test someday and it says "dat hot shit" and I can't figure out if they mean the new Air Jordans, a steaming dump or a fucking fire I'm going to come to your house and hit you with a halligan.

I am so prepared to debate whether Ebonics should be incorporated into the classroom. If anyone makes a thread I will go there right away.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But isn't that how this argument works? You have to throw it out because the minority members that didn't pass are victims of disparate-impact because they did not get the job. I could see how someone would read this as saying that some member X of the minority has a right to the job. So, either you say that they did have a right to the job by meeting the stated requirements. Or you state that they specifically don't have a right to the job because someone else does.

I don't think I view this quite the same. I think the firefighters probably deserved the jobs, and the minority firefighters maybe deserved a little more consideration. None of them had a right to the jobs. Throwing out the test results doesn't mean anyone has a right to any of the jobs.

How does that make it harder? And it isn't like this is done. It was specifically sent back down to the lower courts to argue the details some more. Again, the evidence just has to outweigh the counter-evidence. If they have done nothing to show it is a racially neutral and job related test, then you just need the results.

I didn't realize there was more work to be done, so I'll wait for the lower courts to iron things out before I get too upset about it.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I am so prepared to debate whether Ebonics should be incorporated into the classroom. If anyone makes a thread I will go there right away.

Incorporating ebonics into whats considered proper english (whats taught) is silly in that a lot of the lingo falls off in the course of a few years. Its one thing if a term arises and becomes a part of normative culture so much so that people still use it commonly ten years from now. But if I asked a kid what was "crack-a-lacking" or if he was getting "jiggy" with it he'd either wonder what I was talking about or laugh at me for being antiquated.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I may be wrong on the lower courts, but that was my understanding.

And as for the argument, I was just pushing that as one way it could be taken. It fits all the facts and has a logical hold to it. I should be clear, I think the argument you pushed does as well. :) I think this is why I like the ruling. They are saying the city was dumb to just throw them out, but not that the firefighters had a right to the job. If the city had shown any evidence at all that they would be liable for disparate-impact, they could have tossed the results just fine.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Incorporating ebonics into whats considered proper english (whats taught) is silly in that a lot of the lingo falls off in the course of a few years. Its one thing if a term arises and becomes a part of normative culture so much so that people still use it commonly ten years from now. But if I asked a kid what was "crack-a-lacking" or if he was getting "jiggy" with it he'd either wonder what I was talking about or laugh at me for being antiquated.

AAVE (African-American Vernacular English) is more than just passing slang. It has a number of unique, enduring lexical and grammatical features.

In other words, check yo'self before you wreck yo'self.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

AAVE (African-American Vernacular English) is more than just passing slang. It has a number of unique, enduring lexical and grammatical features.

My kids speaking like that un-ironically would possibly be the death of me.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well it's a good thing that nobody has ever tried to make your kid speak Ebonics. They have tried to better teach Standard English to black children by comparing it to their native dialect, however.

But this is off topic.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well it's a good thing that nobody has ever tried to make your kid speak Ebonics. They have tried to better teach Standard English to black children by comparing it to their native dialect, however.

But this is off topic.

Fo' sho'.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I hate you both so much right now. :x
    Not really, but c'mon guys. Seriously.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

So? We also don't teach "wicked pissah", "ain't", "y'all", "w00t own3d!" or any number of other dialect variations because they are not standard.
    I would also point out that the African Americans I know almost never speak professionally or socially in the African-American dialect including in their homes. The one notable exception is when affecting it in order to seem "more black"(something I've seen suburban Boston Irish do with both a Boston accent to seem more local and a brogue to seem more Irish). That might be because I live in a region with a strong accent and/or with few majority black communities, but it does highlight that its a dialect that exists largely because of the social isolation of black communities and the relatively recent migration of said communities from the South.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

So? We also don't teach "wicked pissah", "ain't", "y'all", "w00t own3d!" or any number of other dialect variations because they are not standard.
    I would also point out that the African Americans I know almost never speak professionally or socially in the African-American dialect including in their homes. The one notable exception is when affecting it in order to seem "more black"(something I've seen suburban Boston Irish do with both a Boston accent to seem more local and a brogue to seem more Irish). That might be because I live in a region with a strong accent and/or with few majority black communities, but it does highlight that its a dialect that exists largely because of the social isolation of black communities and the relatively recent migration of said communities from the South.

The aim isn't to teach black dialects as standard. The aim is to help black students more easily learn standard English by directly contrasting it to the dialect they learn at home. The purpose of "Ebonics" in schools has been widely misunderstood.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Amusingly, I think this new tangent is similar to some thoughts I have been having regarding handwriting. I've been trying to teach myself caligraphy for the past couple of weeks, and it really is changing the way I look at lettering. It is more than just transcribing words to a page, it really can be a form of art that can be appreciated. I feel this is true for speaking, as well. There is a beauty (and sometimes a large lack of it) to how people say certain things that can be captured in their dialect. I do not wish to eradicate "black" dialects, as I feel that something would be lost if that were done. That said, I do wish there was more understanding in that there is not just a one-to-one word translation for the same words in some dialects. A lot more is said along with the actual words, sometimes.

I just wish most of this appreciation (or demeaning) was taken out of the subconscious.

taeric on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The aim isn't to teach black dialects as standard. The aim is to help black students more easily learn standard English by directly contrasting it to the dialect they learn at home. The purpose of "Ebonics" in schools has been widely misunderstood.

Not to get this too far off topic, but I would still point out that this is not something done or necessary for other dialects, nor is it anything approaching the source of the problems in the education of black communities. Its a red herring that takes attention from the actual problems (crime, poverty, discrimination and the general attitude towards education in poor, and especially poor black, communities) and is born more from a desire to assert African American culture (much like the Quebecois are so belligerently protective of the status of the French language in Canada) as legitimate and coequal to "European America" than to correct educational problems.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not to get this too far off topic, but I would still point out that this is not something done or necessary for other dialects, nor is it anything approaching the source of the problems in the education of black communities. Its a red herring that takes attention from the actual problems (crime, poverty, discrimination and the general attitude towards education in poor, and especially poor black, communities) and is born more from a desire to assert African American culture (much like the Quebecois are so belligerently protective of the status of the French language in Canada) as legitimate and coequal to "European America" than to correct educational problems.

I think that is all broadly true (although I do think that AAVE is substantially more distinct from standard English than most white dialects). Also, I am open to any empirical research that would demonstrate incorporating AAVE into the classroom is ineffective, or deleterious. My interest in the debate is mainly around the insane overreaction the idea provokes from opponents, which usually stem from misunderstandings about the purpose of "Ebonics education," and are usually very revealing about people's racial hang-ups.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009

I fucking hate people who think Ebonics is "inner city slang". Ebonics is a Creole language incorporating aspects of English and several African languages. And, BTW, Ebonics is actually quite interesting from a linguistic perspective. It's one of the few examples of the Remote Phase verb aspect that we regularly see.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You know, the funny thing about AAVE (didn't even knew that was a term) is that I, as a southern black guy, was raised around people who used it and can quite easily slip into it myself, so reading the wiki article is sorta weird. A lot of the stuff it's explaining is just shit that's normal for me to say around other black people. That whole Remote Phase verb thing never really occurred to me until I read the explanation and realized that I'd been doing that most of my life.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

I fucking hate people who think Ebonics is "inner city slang". Ebonics is a Creole language incorporating aspects of English and several African languages. And, BTW, Ebonics is actually quite interesting from a linguistic perspective. It's one of the few examples of the Remote Phase verb aspect that we regularly see.

And that's beyond the the fact that we don't that we don't give the British any crap for the stuff they've come up with over the years.

Also, someone's going to have to explain to me how throwing out a test can be racist if the test itself had no racial bias. Were the firefighters pissed that no black people lost their chance at an officer position?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Also, someone's going to have to explain to me how throwing out a test can be racist if the test itself had no racial bias. Were the firefighters pissed that no black people lost their chance at an officer position?

"No X people passed so we're throwing it out" is fairly racist, but isn't exactly what happened.

"No X people passed so we're throwing it out JUST IN CASE the test maybe was biased" is stupid, but not racist.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

"No X people passed so we're throwing it out" is fairly racist, but isn't exactly what happened.

"No X people passed so we're throwing it out JUST IN CASE the test maybe was biased" is stupid, but not racist.

It is still a racially motivated decision. It happens to be based on one of a legitimate concern of legal liability, but it is racially motivated.

Though, the real case was more like: "No X people passed this test that we put in a lot of resources to ensure was not racially biased, still JUST IN CASE the test might in fact be biased, we will toss the results without spending any resources to investigate that it was in fact racially biased." (Feel free to keep adding more caveats to the sentence as you see fit... It can probably take us to some amusing results.)

taeric on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And that's beyond the the fact that we don't that we don't give the British any crap for the stuff they've come up with over the years.

We don't? I'm pretty sure giving people crap for weird things that they do or say is just more visible when it is to or from your direct neighbours.

taeric on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know, the funny thing about AAVE (didn't even knew that was a term) is that I, as a southern black guy, was raised around people who used it and can quite easily slip into it myself, so reading the wiki article is sorta weird. A lot of the stuff it's explaining is just shit that's normal for me to say around other black people. That whole Remote Phase verb thing never really occurred to me until I read the explanation and realized that I'd been doing that most of my life.

That's how a lot of people who speak "Standard English*" feel about learning grammar later in life as well. It's pretty common to have complete command of a language and not really understand what it is you're "doing".

*I find the term "Standard English" to be mildly hilarious, considering languages, by nature, continually evolve. I understand the desire to teach everyone the "same" language for basic communication purposes, but I think people who overstep the bounds of "correct language" are simply being ridiculous. An example: ending a sentence with a preposition. Commonly accepted as a grammatical no-no, but also a completely natural form of speech in today's language. I can't remember where I first heard it, but it's always stuck with me: "Ending a sentence with a preposition is just the sort of poor grammar up with which I shall not put".

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

We don't? I'm pretty sure giving people crap for weird things that they do or say is just more visible when it is to or from your direct neighbours.

I do all the time. Two of my best friends are twins from Edinburgh, Scotland. Some of the shit they say is hilarious, and I love reminding them they don't know how to speak English. =)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know someone should really tell tzar about basic statistics. Blacks make up 12.5% of americans, wich means on average(nationaly) they should make up 12.5% of best qualified applicants. If a shopping chain is hiring less then that, then they are hiring less qualified white applicants to fill the gap.

Since businesses can shift the cost of their shitty practices over onto society, its up to society to stop it. and just for the record Tzar; YOU may not belive in society, society belives in you.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    You know someone should really tell tzar about basic statistics. Blacks make up 12.5% of americans, wich means on average(nationaly) they should make up 12.5% of best qualified applicants. If a shopping chain is hiring less then that, then they are hiring less qualified white applicants to fill the gap.

Since businesses can shift the cost of their shitty practices over onto society, its up to society to stop it. and just for the record Tzar; YOU may not belive in society, society belives in you.

Something just feels off about trying to use statistics in that way. I mean, you could use that to say that your little fire squadron can decide to hire no minorities and not change the national average at all due to sheer qualities of scale. Now, if it just happens that you have no minorities in the area you service, that isn't necessarily that bad..... I think we'd all still question it.

And I meant to be more specific that we do give British people crap. Same for Irish, Chinese, Japanese, etc....

taeric on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know someone should really tell tzar about basic statistics. Blacks make up 12.5% of americans, wich means on average(nationaly) they should make up 12.5% of best qualified applicants.

This is obviously untrue. It is obviously true that blacks are disproportionately economically disadvantaged; not because of racism in the present as much as because of past historical forces (racism among them).

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    You know someone should really tell tzar about basic statistics. Blacks make up 12.5% of americans, wich means on average(nationaly) they should make up 12.5% of best qualified applicants.

This is obviously untrue. It is obviously true that blacks are disproportionately economically disadvantaged; not because of racism in the present as much as because of past historical forces (racism among them).

Then why do black high school graduates have a lower employment rate then white dropouts (they used this as the premise of a question during one of the democratic primary debates).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.