As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] It's not personal -- it's just a little business (IC)

2»

• Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As Glory finishes her song, she sees Neither take a seat near by and takes a seat at his table. Maybe he's a fan, or will be one soon.

"Oh hiya, did you like that song? I know it was a little sad, but the folks here don't seem to want something upbeat tonight. There's something in the air."

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You (Neither) hear snatches of a conversation between a couple gossiping about a really, really big cat they saw stalking the streets the other night.

"And it was not like anything I'd ever seen before, I swear, it was green! I couldn't believe it!"

"You really need to be more careful, hon, I heard another person was attacking yesterday 6 blocks from here. He was mostly eaten by the time they found the body."

The room is dimly lit, and most of the people seem warily relieved as they eat the chicken pot pie Nate's serving tonight.

A drunk man, who looks severely weathered by the city, sits sadly in front of the empty glasses he's finished. Suddenly he calls out to Nate over the song, "Nate, can you take these away please!" He mutters to himself under his breath, "Goddamnit, I'm ruined."

A thin, scraggly looking youngish man shivers and shakes as he attempts to settle himself with some of Nate's good food. He appears to be fingering a pouch in his pocket, feeling its contents over and over again. Occasionally some spot on the wall, or the back of some person's head, takes his interest and he stares at it for far longer than one would expect.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bharash overhears the bard talking to Neither and looks over to her. "Oy! Lass!" he calls, tall enough to see her from where he sits. "Play something upbeat!"

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Yes, love! Something joyful!" Kyser takes the Neither's seat at the bar. "And how about some Dwarven Thunder too, barkeep!"

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Carlin, seeing the odd man, attempts to steal his pouch.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Neither overhearing the despondent man's pleas, rises from the table.

"Yes, yes. Good job..." he says distractedly, not even looking at the bard.

He makes his way over to the drunken man.

"Sir, ruined is a state of mind. What seems to be the trouble?"
    Is there some sort of skill check I can make to figure out what a giant green cat might be? Nature?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kyser looks at the gnome beside her.
    [URL="[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2176206/]To see if Kyser see the gnome stealing. (1d20+16=23)[/url]"][/url]To see if Kyser see the gnome stealing. (1d20+16=23)

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's not even worth rolling spot, I mean I'll do it just to see if he gets a 20, but he probably has a -2 to spot.

1d20-2=10

Inside, there are 4 silver pieces. You successfully stole the last bit of money this guy had left. There's also some kind of dusty residue inside the bag.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I keep the bag, just to see what he'll do.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Out of curiousity, what the hell is the +16 Kyser is rolling with? Looking at her sheet I'm assuming passive perception? You actually use the skill Perception if you're actively looking. Otherwise, you would just use your passive with no roll. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Neither overhearing the despondent man's pleas, rises from the table.

"Yes, yes. Good job..." he says distractedly, not even looking at the bard.

He makes his way over to the drunken man.

"Sir, ruined is a state of mind. What seems to be the trouble?"
    Is there some sort of skill check I can make to figure out what a giant green cat might be? Nature?
    You can start making rolls if you want. Roll whatever you want to try.

Arivia, he does nothing for a little while, and then he looks down and starts to sob. His body shakes as he utterly breaks down, just all of his stress and worry and self-loathing condensed into this one moment where he can't help but break down. He doesn't even try to look for his pouch, he just collapses onto the table and sobs.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bah, the loser ignores me! Who does he think he is? Oh but some strongarm beacons me.

Glory strolls over to the bar, and gives a nod to Nate.

"Hiya there. So I take it you aren't to happy with the music? Sorry about that. I was playing some fun stuff earlier and was getting heckled about it. I think I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't tonight. But I'm on a little break for the moment gotta let my pipes rest."

Nate slides Glory a glass of wine, which she takes a long drink of.

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Never mind. -10 off that. Its +6 not 16

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Carlin wanders away in the shadows, returning to the bar.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, Kyser you don't have a +16 it doesn't look like.

The drunk man turns to Neither and, seeing the sobbing man, obviously decides to puff up his chest and hold himself together in front of a total stranger (unlike the fool next to him). "Oh, I'm fine, it's just life you know. Things go on, eh?" he says, his words slurred but still sounding as if he barely believes that himself.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nate says to Glory, "Honestly, whatever you want to play is fine with me. I feel lucky to have you playing here, m'dear."

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Now there, it can't just be nothing can it? Maybe I can help."
    Insight check on the drunk...
    1d20+4=6

Nature Check about the giant green cat...
    1d20+4=17

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oops that was supposed to be to Bharash and Kyser

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You try and think about some kinda giant green cat that you might of heard of, and you can't really think of anything. Maybe something from the tropical region in the lands far west? But what would that be doing here?
    I'll give the drunk guy -2
    1d20-2=13
    You have been successfully bluffed by a drunk guy.

You agree with the drunk guy, life is hard sometimes, but we can all get through it. Right?

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bharash shrugs. "The music was fine, I just tend to like things that get the blood pumping a bit more. Suppose it comes with being someone who lives off adrenaline." He grinned wide at the tiefling, enjoying talking to someone who wasn't murderously quiet, snippy, or holding a knife at his throat. "I enjoy a good song as much as I enjoy a good fight, and I enjoy a good fight quite a bit."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "It looks like you've seen quite a bit of adventure, too. I'm always looking for inspiration for songs. How about you tell me about some great battle that you've been in recently? I've got another minute or two before I need to get back to the stage."

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash looks off into the distance for a moment, thinking about previous fights that he had had. Ones that would be good to talk about, at least.

"Well lassie," he begins, "I suppose one of the better ones was a grudge match I had a few months back. A Goliath I'd fought a few times, and beaten into submission every time, wanted a death match." He fixes the Tiefling with a stare as he talks. "Now, I don't know how much you know about Arena fighting, but a planned death match is a rare thing. In a normal match, you fight to submssion; now, if one of you refuses to submit, then sure, it becomes a death match, but almost never does someone plan to have a death match."

"So anyway, this Goliath challenges me, and I pretty much have to fight him. I'm not thinking much of it, I'd beaten him 3 times already, I was sure I'd beat him again." Bharash looks off into the distance, remembering the smell of dust and blood in the arena.

"He enters the arena on the day of the fight, and he's like a new man. He had to have put on at least 50 or 60 pounds of muscle, and he'd somehow gotten the money to buy much nicer weapons and armor. I knew, looking at him, that this fight was going to be a challenge. I fought, as I always do, with my hammer; he had a pair of large axes."

"He rushes at me, swinging those axes, and I'm barely able to keep him from landing a solid blow; I'm deflecting him all I can, dodging backwards and sideways, he even manages to glance off my armor a couple times. I started to feel a little worried, and hesitated, and he managed to disarm me; my hammer went spinning out of my hands and landed a few feet away."

"The bastard started laughing instead of finishing me off, which is the mistake that got him killed. Before he could blink I drew a throwing hammer and smashed it into the side of his head. While he staggered away, I grabbed my Mordenkrad off the ground and charged into him, smashing him in the thigh with it and breaking his leg. I stepped back and asked him if he wanted to change his mind about fighting to the death."

"Heh. I'll never forget the look he gave me...pure hatred. He thought he had me on the ropes, and here he was, at my mercy once again. He lashed out with one of his axes and managed to land a solid cut on my leg, but not before I dropped my hammer on his head and crushed his skull, roaring bloody murder."

The Dragonborn looks at the Tiefling again. "And that's about it for that. Anything else you want to hear me ramble about?"

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Oh, what a great story about the failings of pride." Glory beams a big smile at Bharash. "That's something that all people need to be wary of. I'm betting these folks might enjoy the tale of Malork, the corrupt prince. It'd strike a similar cord about the average man overcoming royalty because the prince is blinded by his pride."

Glory begins to turn to the shifter, but stops and addresses the dragonborn again, "oh, I forgot. My name is Glory and I'm going to be world famous some day, so don't forget me."

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Dragonborn laughs and holds his hand out to the Tiefling. "Pleased to meet ya Glory, I'm Bharash. If you follow the arena at all, you might know me as The Ironhammer, but you don't seem like the type" he says, smiling broadly at her.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Neither pats the old man on the shoulder and stands up.

"Things'll pick up. I'm sure of it. Sehanine bless."

Wandering over to the young couple he interrupts,

"Pardon, I couldn't help overhearing your conversation. Giant green cat you say?"

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Oh, well, I'm sure you've heard of those strange attacks that have been going on. I'm think that I saw one of those creatures that have been attacking people, but it was only for a split second because I ran away right when I saw it. I'm pretty sure it was green, and it looked like a cat, but I don't understand what it's doing here!"

As she's talking, Glory goes back on stage and starts singing a more upbeat song, but she obviously seems a bit tentative about it considering the mixed reaction of the crowd.

The door swings open, and in troops a small cloaked figure, followed by two big burly men wearing large jackets that could hide any size of weapon, and three other men who look weaker but just as mean. You can’t see the face of the small figure, but the two big men have hard faces that betray no emotion. They appear almost bored, and they stand awkwardly next to the bar, ignoring Nate when he asks them what they want to drink. The lackeys move around the room, positioning themselves at various places along the walls. They have a general look of disgust about them, and they seem to be just waiting to leave again. The cloaked figure stands near the two thugs, facing the stage, waiting for Glory to finish her song.

When she does, he takes off his hood and his face rapidly shifts for a brief moment, as he stops enjoying the tiefling’s song and instead seems to be getting himself “in character.” His face appears almost sickly sweet – he’s not quite smiling, but he seems vaguely amused by everything going on around him. He snaps his fingers, and the lackeys begin putting out the torches in the room. One of the thugs yells out, “All right, everybody get the FUCK out! It’s closing time, everyone! You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here! Everybody OUT!” The customers quickly follow these instructions, many of them eyeing the gnome as they hurry out of The Lazy Y.

The gnome shifts suddenly to face Nate, and the other thug lifts him up and puts him down on the counter, at the far end away from everyone else.

“Mr. Malan, I believe we have some business to settle, yes?”

At this point, most of the torches are put out, but the torch near the bar is left lit, so the faces of the gnome and Nate are clearly visible. The rest of the room is very dim, even dimmer than it usually is. The thugs have places themselves between the gnome and those left in the room, while the lackeys are sitting at the entrance, watching as people leave.

Nate attempts to put on a brave face, but he can’t help stammering, “Y-y-yes, well, about that, I mean, I already paid the halflings just a few weeks ago, and I don’t think…”

“I don’t want to hear a FUCKING THING about no halflings. Fucking halflings, that’s all everyone talks about. ‘Well, the halflings won’t like that,’ or, ‘The halflings said blah blah.’ Are you listening to me, Nate? I don’t give a flying fuck about halflings. Halflings are yesterday’s news, they are on the way out, they are not the big dogs in this part of town anymore.” The gnome raises his voice so that everyone who is leaving the inn can hear what he’s saying.

“Well I-I-I’m sorry I just don’t really have the money right now, you know with the way things are right now—“

“Mr. Malan, I have a question for you.”

“Yes?” Nate says, somewhat confused.

“What does a gnome look like?”

“W-w-what?” Nate stammers out, equally scared and confused

“WHAT DOES A GNOME LOOK LIKE?” the gnome yells out, enunciating each word as if he were scolding an idiot.

“H-h-he’s small… and h-h-e’s sneaky—“

“DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?” he bellows, his voice squeaking slightly but in a way that somehow manages not to lessen the statement, and as he does so he slashes Nate across the face with the dagger he had been toying with in his hands.

“No!” Nate calls out in pain, clutching his face as blood drips down.

“Then why you trying to fuck ‘em like a bitch?” the gnome snarls.

“I’m not, oh gods, I wouldn’t!” Nate yells, the sound muffled through his hands as he clutches his face.

“Yes you did, Nate, yes you did.” The gnome seems satisfied with himself, and he looks over to the thugs quizzically.

One of them coughs slightly, gives an apologetic look to the gnome, and addresses you guys:

“What the fuck are you lookin’ at? There’s nothing to see here, I said GET OUT!”
    There's no need for initiative until someone swings a blow. Someone besides the gnome, I mean.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash stands up and draws himself up to his full 7'2" before reaching behind the bar and taking his Mordenkrad. He holds it over his shoulder with his left hand, while with his right he lifts the gnome off the ground by the back of his collar and holds him level (but at arm's length!) from his face.

Growling deep in his throat, he fixes the gnome with a stare. "You will leave, now, and if you're lucky, I won't kill you for hurting my friend" he says before tossing the gnome towards the door and shifting his hammer to a two handed grip. "Get out, tiny little thing."

Turning to face the thugs, he addresses them. "Now, leave with your minuscule friend there, or none of you will live to see tomorrow."
    Intimidate check: 1d20+9 = 18 + 9 = 27
    Athletics check to throw the gnome: 1d20+9 = 18 + 9 = 27

Same roll. Um, weird.

EDIT: Just thought of something: if you want to make the throwing thing just a Strength check, then it would be 1d20+4, or 22. Just for reference.

Also, Pulp Fiction gnome = the best.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The gnome seems completely taken aback, any bit of a smug expression wiped away from his face. He looks up at you, genuinely scared, and he blurts out, "Do you know what kind of fucking people I know? Do you know who you're fucking talking to?" He says this in an almost school-boy tone, as if this was the only lame retort he could come up with.

He turns to leave, and you can tell that all of his posse are trying to stifle a giggle. One of the lackeys at the door mutters something to the other that sounds like, "I guess that's what gnomes look like after all," and the gnome is obviously completely embarrassed.

When his posse starts bursting out in laugher completely, the gnome absolutely cannot take anymore. If he doesn't do something now, it's all over for him.

"You know what?" he says, spinning around, "Screw you. You idiots, kill this fucker. Put yourselves to use for once," he yells as he walks out of The Lazy Y, taking a hard look at the faces of each person in the room.

They stop laughing suddenly, and even though their superior has left the room they know their job. The two thugs look at you menacingly, pulling halberds out from their huge jackets. They grip them and grin, eager for some real fighting. The smaller-looking guys behind them pull out clubs, and they are looking to end this quickly.

ROLL INITIATIVE!

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Glory is used to such violence in taverns and usually stays out of the way, but remembering the words she hear from her idol Danny Crystal ("True inspiration comes from adventure."), she gathers her courage and decides to enter the fray.
    Initiative: d20+0 = 1

Yes, I'm so combat ready!

Cleonicus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bharash roared with bloodlust and readied his hammer, glancing over to Nate to make sure he was okay before turning back to the thugs.
    Initiative: 1d20+0 = 2

I am so ready!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It looks like Nate will be ok -- but he will almost certainly have a scar from this encounter. When you guys start fighting, he hurries off to go bandage his face in some back room, yelling, "Kill one for me, Bharash!"

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Carlin flips around to behind the bar, hoping she's remained unseen. She braces herself, putting a foot on a shelf filled with lightly tinkling glasses so that she can boost herself up.
    1d20+3=8
    Starting at the far end of the bar, please.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeap, that sounds good. Do you wanna make a Stealth check for reactive stealth? I think I'll allow it. (It always annoys me that reactive stealth basically rarely triggers because grids only come out after combat has started.)

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Neither, having quietly observed this exchange, braces for action.
    Initiative
    1d20+4=19

Esh on